As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2011 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1303132333436»

• Options
    XelinorXelinor Registered User new member
    The number of people this year who took multiple pieces of swag / shirts / things like that to resell them was insane.
    There's someone on eBay right now (successfully) selling 100 of the Pax Sivir LoL skins for $40 each... the ones that came in the swag bags.
    Something like that shouldn't be allowed, as that takes swag away from people who actually want to get it for themselves.
    Well, to be fair the RIOT guys were handing out the skin codes to anybody that asked. I saw plenty of people ask for multiple and be given multiple. RIOT kept saying they had plenty for everyone and they were true to their word, all you had to do was ask.

As far as the other stuff...the vendors who wanted to restrict the people going through the lines multiple times did so. Onlive punched a hole in the badge, RIOT cut off a corner when you got your shirt (after the first day at least).

Really, the swag bags were the only real fiasco...

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Xelinor wrote:
    The counterfeit badges were another large contributing problem to the swag issue. It is now believed that there were between 3000 and 5000 forged 3-day badges at the show. These extra attendees all also wanted at least one bag, and the 23000 was simply not close to enough bags for the number of people actually in the building.

Regarding the forged badges, the lesson for attendees to take away is that badges purchased from anywhere other than the official registration website cannot be counted on to be authentic, so do your best to buy your pass from the official channel. Anti-counterfeiting measures are being designed by the PA and Reed staffs to alleviate the issue for future PAXes.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Just an FYI.. in the next few days this thread will be closed and I'll be posting the PAX East FAQ :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    feyithfeyith Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    *The 70,000 number that people throw around is an "attendance" estimate. Attendance is the count of the number of people that enter a show over the course of the show. Since someone with a 3 day badge enters the show three times, they are counted 3 times for the attendance count. If the attendance was actually 70,000 and they were all 3-day pass holders, 23,000 bags would be more than enough for every person to get a bag. The way that PAX actually determines the official attendance figure is based on a relatively complicated formula based on the money taken in from sales of the 10 different badge types, the ratios of the different types, and how many of them were actually used; the total number of people that enter the building on a given day is not directly counted.

I appreciate the Enforcers' hard work. I'm just curious about the math here because of the sheer amount of people with one-day passes. I know my Saturday badge was in the 40,000s and so was my friend's Friday.

The number of people this year who took multiple pieces of swag / shirts / things like that to resell them was insane.
    There's someone on eBay right now (successfully) selling 100 of the Pax Sivir LoL skins for $40 each... the ones that came in the swag bags.
    Something like that shouldn't be allowed, as that takes swag away from people who actually want to get it for themselves.

^ This. I has a sad. ^

feyith on
  • Options
    ReparadocsReparadocs Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think the two biggest problems that plagued PAX were people taking too many Swag Bags, and the fake badges :(
    If only there weren't any douchebags in this world....

• Options
    ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular

Actually I think I saw that guy. He was asking everybody he saw with a swag bag if he could have their LoL code. Most gladly gave it to him as they weren't going to use it.

• Options
    RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Xelinor wrote:
    Well, to be fair the RIOT guys were handing out the skin codes to anybody that asked. I saw plenty of people ask for multiple and be given multiple. RIOT kept saying they had plenty for everyone and they were true to their word, all you had to do was ask.

As far as the other stuff...the vendors who wanted to restrict the people going through the lines multiple times did so. Onlive punched a hole in the badge, RIOT cut off a corner when you got your shirt (after the first day at least).

The booth reps are to blame for that as well... I was in line for Resistance 3, and literally saw people already wearing the Resistance 3 shirt, getting 1 or two more... in a couple cases, I saw people shove the shirts in bags/backpacks where you could see that they had at least one shirt in there already. So some of these people got like 3 or 4 shirts... at least. Then as a final insult, after they finishing giving multiple shirts to the "swag hoarders", the booth reps announce that they're all out of XL, L, & M... lol.

• Options
    gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular

The booth reps are to blame for that as well... I was in line for Resistance 3, and literally saw people already wearing the Resistance 3 shirt, getting 1 or two more... in a couple cases, I saw people shove the shirts in bags/backpacks where you could see that they had at least one shirt in there already. So some of these people got like 3 or 4 shirts... at least. Then as a final insult, after they finishing giving multiple shirts to the "swag hoarders", the booth reps announce that they're all out of XL, L, & M... lol.

I did see booths struggling to get rid of excess swag on the last day too, just like every year. I mean, the Counter Strike reps were literally asking people to take more than one shirt by the time the expo hall was closing on Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.