As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2012

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

The leftover plastic pieces (and the cost of buying said plastic pieces) is probably the main concern, but I think if we had a team do a sweep after the con we should be okay. Should be. Also, relying at least a bit on the awesomeness of our dear PAXians to throw out/recycle/take the eggs they find with them instead of just dumping them. But if not, that's what our clean up crew would be for.

this is why i was thinking it might be best to have clues to follow or something, rather than just hiding things randomly. it would be easier to keep track of where eggs are and which ones have been found, so the leftovers can easily be rooted out. also, as far as price is concerned, i did a little looking into it and we could probably do small prizes like pokemon stickers and star wars rub-on tattoos for about 50-75 cents per egg (including the cost of plastic eggs). at that rate, i'd personally be down for buying/assembling/hiding about 50 eggs.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know offhand how much it was per night at the Westin with the discount?

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    For my single it was around $180/night. It ended up being around $800 for 4 nights

EvilOtaku on
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    I would not mind carrying some of the plastic eggs with me in my cookie basket. I could kill two birds with one stone.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
    EvilOtaku wrote:
    For my single it was around $180/night. It ended up being around $800 for 4 nights

i second this. i actually just checked my old confirmation emails earlier today and i paid $179/night, $409 total for 2 nights, including tax.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    Gosh PAX...I've been saving up all year for Pax East 2012

I can't wait for this

SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    Cool, thanks. That's not nearly as much as I thought it'd be. Only 221 days!

twitter //
    pax prime is officially over. let the countdown to pax east 2012 BEGIN!!!

7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote:

I've had a countdown timer on my desktop for like 2 weeks now. :P

twitter //
  • MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:

THIS x23894792.

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • WeaponIIWeaponII Baltimore, MDRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:

Tears of joy are running down my face.

PAX East: My Second Coming - 2013
    ticket[x] flight[x] hotel/room share[x] time off[x]
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Time to take over teh forems in 3.... 2.... skip 1, GO!

• PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    Time for me to make a full-time pseudo-return to the forums so I can keep watch for the hotel deals! First time going for all three days? Huzzah for me! :D

**Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    YESSSS COMMENCE EAST PREPARATIONAL SEQUENCES

The PAX Pokemon League's already started planning for East, we're going to be bigger and better than ever!
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Actually, Cookie Brigade easter eggs may not be a bad idea on their own.

Hm! I wonder if they'd be interested in doing something like this... if people didn't want cookies for themselves, they could stick a cookie in an easter egg with a little note and pass it on to someone! SURPRISE COOKIES

If we didn't want to leave actual physical easter eggs because of the plastic waste, we could always team up with the PAX Trading Card group and make a set of numbered Easter Egg trading cards that we could leave in strategic locations and that could be redeemed for prizes with roving Easter Bunnies. Haha this all sounds like a lot of work but if someone could pull it off it could be crazy fun.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Great Scott... ideas... so many...

Who likes puzzles? The suggestions of scavenger hunts coupled with the term "easter egg" is sending my brain down all sorts of rabbit holes. A lot of security/computer cons that I go to for work (DEFCON, Shmoocon, HOPE) have contests that are puzzles, often scattering the clues throughout the programs, signage, or other "hidden in plain sight" ways. Plus, it reminds me of this - one of my favorite episodes.

The upside here is that we wouldn't have to necessarily hide (or clean up) a million little plastic easter eggs. The problem is, to really pull this off we would need to talk to Khoo or someone about getting access to put a little message in the official program or something (which, sadly, I don't see happening). Otherwise we have to compose our own clue vehicles, so to speak, and distribute them.

Obviously I'm throwing out ideas kind of rapid-fire here, but we're still early enough that we can brainstorm for a bit before settling on what we want to do and devoting the full attention of the forums at it.

Now that I've come to the end of this post and realized the challenges of an Easter Egg puzzle hunt, I think I've kind of convinced myself against my own idea. Still, I'll leave it here for posterity to ponder pedagogically.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Lexi here from the Cookie Brigade. There aren't enough convention games, so we have a SUPER SPECIAL puzzle idea that we're working on for all of you puzzle fanatics who also like to eat cookies. More will be posted when we have a better idea of how it will all work. It's not exactly easter eggs, but it is delicious.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    edited August 2011
    Lexi here from the Cookie Brigade. There aren't enough convention games, so we have a SUPER SPECIAL puzzle idea that we're working on for all of you puzzle fanatics who also like to eat cookies. More will be posted when we have a better idea of how it will all work. It's not exactly easter eggs, but it is delicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByP2pQSbSmE&feature=player_detailpage#t=9.2s

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited August 2011

!!!!!!!!

SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. I was going to suggest something like an Easter Cookie Brigade BINGO, where, if asked, Cookie Brigaders (Brigadiers?) will give you a Bingo card with different types of cookies... and each time you buy that type of cookie from a cookie brigade member, you get a stamp on that square! Since different brigaders have different types of cookies, you'd have to find a bunch of different brigaders to get BINGO! And maybe once you get a bingo you get a pin or something? :O Plus you'd be FILLED WITH COOKIES.

But you already have some kind of puzzle idea?! So excited!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    You know, even though prime is over, which means I can now begin obsessing over east, I feel a sadness in my heart for my west coast brethren (that wretched hive of scum and villainy), who I know are undergoing the same post-pax heartache that I experience every year. I bid you all swift recovery. On that note, time to start working on my cosplay. Woohoo!

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • iguyiguy Registered User regular
    Been to Prime many times but am considering East for the first time this upcoming year. I was wondering, for the West coasters who venture East, what travel options you take and what are your preferred.

• SammySammy Registered User regular
    I can already tell you that I've devoted half of at least two paychecks to just being inside of PAX.
    Last year I didn't really accumulate swag.
    Next year I will bring two shirts and just buy the rest. This will work.

Also after a drunken conversation with some non-PAXian friends of mine, I'm pretty sure I have an actual costume to wear.
    They are so convinced its awesome that even sober they want to help me pull it off. I don't think I have a choice in the matter anymore lol.
    Prepare yourself Khoo.
    Prepare.

Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
    edited August 2011
    iguy wrote:
    Been to Prime many times but am considering East for the first time this upcoming year. I was wondering, for the West coasters who venture East, what travel options you take and what are your preferred.

i'm not a traveler myself, but there's designated pax train routes that come from all parts of the country so you can hop an amtrak train and meet other paxers along the way. not sure when the routes are announced, but you might be able to hunt down the thread from east 2011 for more info.

i have done this for you. old thread is here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/129769/pax-east-train-alliance-2011-paxtrain-east-metal-gear-train-sold-out/p1

and apparently moe mentioned the new pax train thread would be started in october, as seen here:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/18701238#Comment_18701238

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Woo! Pax East again! Hopefully I can make it again this year, but at the very least I'll be helping out with cards again, so much fun!

signature.png
  • Skeith27Skeith27 Registered User new member
    I hope they do another Pokecrawl this year. I missed PAX East last year, but the one before that had a great Pokemon themed bar crawl.

• DylaNWGDylaNWG Registered User regular
    Sitting in the airport after the wonderful madness that was Prime.

I think I'm going to have to try and make it out east this spring.

edited August 2011
    srsly guys, reading all the pros and cons and 'maybe next year' stuff about prime is driving me nuts! so many ideas for pax east, so many things i want to do differently or exactly the same from east 2011. i can't wait! last year it was only a few weeks between the end of prime and the opening of east registration, wonder how long it will take this year?

also, @itzerokewl, i will certainly be enlisting your skilled assistance again this year for some series 2 tvethiopia cards. and you'd better make it out here! i definitely want to socialize with forumers more than i got to last year. first pax ever was a little overwhelming, second pax ever will be AMAZING.

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • MrT137MrT137 Registered User regular
    Just needed to get in on this thread:

I can't wait for PAX EAST 2012! I went to the last two, and this year I'm going to put in an application for an enforcer. I feel like I've gotten to experience the whole show , and I want to give something back so that others can enjoy it too.

I wish the Westin didn't have those dates blocked off. :( Staying so close to the convention last year was the bomb. Of course, I made my reservations 6 months in advance and paid more because I didn't get the conference rate. I guess I'll just have to get lucky and book as soon as rooms become available.

Oh, and it's kind of early for this, but since my regular group has moved away, had children, etc, I'll be looking for roomies and/or travel companions from the Delaware/Philadelphia area.

• GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    Well looking forward to East next year, should be pretty sweet considering around 7-10 people from my local gaming store are coming too.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Military folks: Hanscom AFB has temporary lodging facilities for ~$50/night, base is about 10-15 miles NW of the city.

Furthermore, CANNOT WAIT for this! Gonna be my first PAX :)

godmode on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhh, you all have NO IDEA how nice it is to finally get a decent nights rest under my belt now that my Prime journey is at an end. I have to say, you guys are going to have a hell of a time topping Prime. Completely blown away by how amazing it was, the bar has been set high.

• Seanyd781Seanyd781 Registered User regular
    PAX East 2012 is on the clock!

Buying 3-day passes the moment they go on sale, absolutely ZERO hesitation!

• mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    MrT, I live right near Philadelphia. I'm planning on going with my one friend but we most likely will be looking for other people to help split the cost of a room. I will keep in touch.

• SammySammy Registered User regular
    flatline wrote:

I just want you to know that I just lol'ed ridiculously hard during class.
    good form sir!

Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
    flatline wrote:

I thought I was crazy for being excited about that. thank you for making me feel less crazy.

7YIpfE5.png
  • bbr11bbr11 Registered User new member
    Hey guys, a friendly Canadian here :) I've never been to PAX and it's gonna be my first time going next year. I was wondering if anyone else wants to go with me. I live in Ontario so I was actually thinking of driving there. Would anyone else be interested?

Thank! XD

• MrT137MrT137 Registered User regular
    mgriff3456 wrote:
    MrT, I live right near Philadelphia. I'm planning on going with my one friend but we most likely will be looking for other people to help split the cost of a room. I will keep in touch.

Excellent! Looking forward to PAX East!

edited August 2011
    relevant to your interests: small lady says pax east faq goes up in a few days!

it's up now!

tvethiopia on
    7YIpfE5.png
  • avsfan590avsfan590 Registered User regular
    bbr11 wrote:
    Hey guys, a friendly Canadian here :) I've never been to PAX and it's gonna be my first time going next year. I was wondering if anyone else wants to go with me. I live in Ontario so I was actually thinking of driving there. Would anyone else be interested?

Thank! XD

Hey fellow canadian and ontarioan i was thinking of carpooling and driving down to boston but i am thinkining a flight might be better. And Same for being a first year PAX Goer.

• BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    bbr11 wrote:

Thank! XD

Might want to narrow that down a bit. Ontario's a good sized place. I'm from Ottawa, I think there's a Torontonian about. Probably others, or will be as the date draws closer.