As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To Seattle-area PAXers: I need your help!

persibropersibro Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
I know I don't have any forum cred, but being a 3x PAX veteran I just thought I would ask for help from the awesome PAX community. So long story short, I had my DSLR camera stolen from me at the Westlake station in downtown Seattle while waiting for the Light Rail to take me to the airport. The police got involved, but by then it was too late, and the perps got away. A day later, I see a camera pop-up on the Seattle section of Craigslist perfectly matching the description of my camera. I've tried to contact them and slyly ask about the serial number, but have received no reply. Here is a link to the post: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/2572779220.html

So I'm here to ask, nay, beg! the awesome PAX community for any assistance they can provide in retrieving my camera. To be honest, I don't even know if there is anything anyone can do, but I just thought it would be worth a try. I've let the police know about the ad, but who knows whether they will do anything about it. Finally, to everyone that can help me out, I thank you from the bottom my heart.

persibro on

• Options
    spiritdragon101spiritdragon101 Registered User regular
    I can help out, but what would I do?

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Not to speak for persibro, but contact the seller, I'd assume. See if you can look at the camera.

If the serial number is external, nonchalantly note at least some portion of it (like the last three digits).

Report back...if it matches, contact the 5-0.

EDIT: I'd do precisely this, but I'm across the water and out of town for the weekend.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SuspiSuspi Registered User regular
    That sucks. I'm not sure how I could help. I could hide across the street and take pictures of the exchange (all stealthy like).

• Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    I just sent a message to the person. If you want to PM me about details, I'll help out if I can.
    If you already have someone helping, I figured it would be easy to tell the person I found a different deal.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    And I almost immediately got a response back saying they're probably going to be asking for more than the price they listed. This does seem fishy.
    Hope you get back to me soon, because I know the cops like to be involved in every step of a sting type situation.

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    TenaciousGGTenaciousGG Registered User regular
    Man, that really sucks. I flew in for PAX, or else I'd offer to help any way I can. I hope you get your camera back and the d-bag selling it gets more than a finger-wag from the police. Hopefully it wasn't a fellow PAX-goer, that would only be breaking the biggest and most important rule of PAX.

• Options
    persibropersibro Registered User regular
    Thanks to everyone that responded! I'm currently working with Enigmas to try to get this guy. I'll be sure to let you all know how this story ends.