As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I DEMAND TAMALES

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Yeah, Gallerias has pretty good food but god the service. Still, worth it once in a while as long as you don't have to be anywhere.

Mexican food is too easy to make at home to go out for shit like that. Although when the farmers market shuts down on Cap Hill no refried beans for months.

Druhim wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    sometimes i get tamales from Rancho Bravo

something tells me that Dru is going to shit on Rancho Bravo

I've never eaten there, but the tacos look good so I don't get why you think I'd shit on the place.

gX4SH.jpg

Cause it's literally dirty. Good tamales, good burritos, but really has hygienic issues in the eating area.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    This is true, but they offer tacos. I assumed that this implied they had something taco-like to sell you in exchange for currency.

What they have is soft, stale tortilla chips that are insulted by a man holding lettuce. Cheese is thrown at the tacos in disgust, but only after being thoroughly rinsed to be as vile as possible. All meats or vegetables are first boiled for several minutes to remove anything resembling flavor.

When you read about some fictional character cursed to live without the sensation of hunger or taste or the sated feeling of a good meal, these tacos are what you should imagine. They contain calories only because it is necessary, if the world was less structured but made more sense the tacos would be composed entirely out of disappointment, which is not particularly calorie-dense.

In happier taco-related news:

If you're stuck in Ballard, try Oaxaca. Seriously delicious food, painfully long wait times to eat though. Place is always crowded.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    This is true, but they offer tacos. I assumed that this implied they had something taco-like to sell you in exchange for currency.

What they have is soft, stale tortilla chips that are insulted by a man holding lettuce. Cheese is thrown at the tacos in disgust, but only after being thoroughly rinsed to be as vile as possible. All meats or vegetables are first boiled for several minutes to remove anything resembling flavor.

When you read about some fictional character cursed to live without the sensation of hunger or taste or the sated feeling of a good meal, these tacos are what you should imagine. They contain calories only because it is necessary, if the world was less structured but made more sense the tacos would be composed entirely out of disappointment, which is not particularly calorie-dense.

In happier taco-related news:

If you're stuck in Ballard, try Oaxaca. Seriously delicious food, painfully long wait times to eat though. Place is always crowded.

Sounds terrible. being stuck in ballard and all. I like the taco place that's in the same buiding as kimchee bistro. at the very top. It's cheap n good.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2011
    The food at Oaxaca is really good, but I feel it's a bit overpriced when a single mole tamale costs about $8 if I remember correctly considering I can go to El Camion just a few blocks away and get wonderful beef tongue and beef cheek tacos for about $1.50 each. I'm totally willing to pay more for really good food and service, but the food Oaxaca serves is humble food and there are other places making that really good, humble Mexican food for quite a bit less. The only reason I don't outright dismiss Oaxaca is that at least they expose locals to Mexican food from a region they're not accustomed to.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Druhim wrote:
    The food at Oaxaca is really good, but I feel it's a bit overpriced when a single mole tamale costs about $8 if I remember correctly considering I can go to El Camion just a few blocks away and get wonderful beef tongue and beef cheek tacos for about $1.50 each. I'm totally willing to pay more for really good food and service, but the food Oaxaca serves is humble food and there are other places making that really good, humble Mexican food for quite a bit less. The only reason I don't outright dismiss Oaxaca is that at least they expose locals to Mexican food from a region they're not accustomed to.

Man, at least they expose people to mexican food that isn't azteca.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Also:

SALSA BAR.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Druhim wrote:

Man, at least they expose people to mexican food that isn't azteca.

But like I said in the very post you quoted, there are other places that already do great Mexican food cheaper. El Camion is just one of them, but there are definitely other places around Seattle that do really good humble Mexican food for cheap to reasonable prices.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    I DEMAND BATALIS

batali-mario-sausage.jpg

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Is this the station where I can board The Hot Tamales Train?

Because I have a ticket.

• TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    Homemade tamales are a little time consuming but oh man is the pay off worth it.

I don't know of any good places to get tamales here in Rochester. I need to do some investigating.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
    Theidar wrote:
    Homemade tamales are a little time consuming but oh man is the pay off worth it.

I don't know of any good places to get tamales here in Rochester. I need to do some investigating.

Really, tamales at home is an all day, make 12 dozen, freeze 11 dozen affair. It's simply not worth it to make small batches of them.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    this is an awesome article about tamales and traditional mexican cooking

edit: note: it will make you envious of what you can never have

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Theidar wrote:

Really, tamales at home is an all day, make 12 dozen, freeze 11 dozen affair. It's simply not worth it to make small batches of them.

Agreed, usually can get a week or 2 of delicious food out of it at least.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    taco food?

Q4fhS.gif

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Tamales are fucking delicious and I haven't had one in ages. Bluhhhh

also @swill you ready for Jack Attack on friday??

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't know if you can get these outside of Chicago's south side, but a mother in law is fantastically awful. It's a chili-dog where you replace the hot dog with a tamale.

Kakodaimonos on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    you can't, it is a Chicago only delicacy by Federal Law.

easysig2.jpg
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Is this the station where I can board The Hot Tamales Train?

Because I have a ticket.

Hot tamales are actually from Mississippi and are made with cornmeal instead of masa. I think that train is on the next platform over.

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    As a man who has eaten a whole taco bell grande meal in one sitting, I think I can speak about me-hican food

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular

no not at all

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    lostwords wrote:
    As a man who has eaten a whole taco bell grande meal in one sitting, I think I can speak about me-hican food

Pfeh. A real winner can kill 10 pintos and cheese in one sitting.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I don't know if you can get these outside of Chicago's south side, but a mother in law is fantastically awful. It's a chili-dog where you replace the hot dog with a tamale.
    Stale wrote:
    you can't, it is a Chicago only delicacy by Federal Law.
    Whoa, hold on. You know that food truck you wanna run with Pip? This shit and your dumb spaghetti burritos. A billion dollars a year.

Swill wrote:

no not at all

oh well guess it's happening regardless of preparation though so!

I haven't seen you in a while though, that is a thing I am looking forward to

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    i wonder where i can get a good tamale in this town

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I enjoy pupusas

edit: I don't enjoy spelling tho

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    tamales with chili n cheese n beans is fucking awesome

i remember once when i was little we were having tamales for thanksgiving and me being a little shit complained incessantly about it, but not having any other kind of meat meant that i ate the fuck out of them. and once i did, i came to love them.

hail tamales

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    now i really want tamales

and i already ate mexican tonight

thanks, druhim

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    the worst thing about tamales is when you bite into a tooth

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Or a stray acrylic

I enjoy pupusas

edit: I don't enjoy spelling tho

Just downstairs from the taco place I mentioned and across from Kimchee bistro is place that does papusas and they're hella good.

Sars_Boy wrote: »
    now i really want tamales

and i already ate mexican tonight

thanks, druhim

you're welcome! :mrgreen:

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2011
    Druhim and I are the resident Penny Arcade Seattle Foodies. We'd hang out but he thinks I'm crazy horrible neckbeard. I am merely a neckbeard. Why cant we just have a civil dinner dru?

mrt144 on
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Druhim and I are the resident Penny Arcade Seattle Foodies. We'd hang out but he thinks I'm crazy horrible neckbeard. I am merely a neckbeard. Why cant we just have a civil dinner dru?

When and where? (this week is bad and we're leaving Friday to go camping for Labor Day weekend)

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2011
    What hood do you live in again? My wife and I have a meal plan mapped out until next Friday.

mrt144 on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    I fucking love Tamales.

Tamales were the best part about being a Catholic in Eastern Washington. Granted, I say this as a morally bankrupt ex-Christian, but whatever. Every couple months some of the Mexican housewives would band together and make huge batches of delicious tamales and sell them after mass to raise money for the church.

Ffffffuuuuucckkk I miss those tamales.

On a related note, last night I had Polenta for the first time, and even if every time I come across the word I start to read it as "placenta" it spoke to my hellbound soul; the texture spoke of tamale masa yet the taste spoke of Italian pastas. Delicious!

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Chuys tamales are one of the top reasons i want to live in Austin.

Friday Saturday Sunday, 13th 14th 15th, choose your poison.

I fucking love Tamales.

Tamales were the best part about being a Catholic in Eastern Washington. Granted, I say this as a morally bankrupt ex-Christian, but whatever. Every couple months some of the Mexican housewives would band together and make huge batches of delicious tamales and sell them after mass to raise money for the church.

Ffffffuuuuucckkk I miss those tamales.

On a related note, last night I had Polenta for the first time, and even if every time I come across the word I start to read it as "placenta" it spoke to my hellbound soul; the texture spoke of tamale masa yet the taste spoke of Italian pastas. Delicious!

Polenta is one of the best, easiest things to make. Polenta and mushroom ragu is classic and awesome.