As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA comic: Mon. August 29, 2011

124»

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    MLP is more like a younger version of slice of life comedies like Azumanga Daioh combined with magical horses.

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    You are now realizing that most human strife originates in this one idea; that other people should share your values, like what you like, and dislike what you dislike. Not doing so means they are not like you, and since you are Good they must be Not Good, which makes them Bad. Nationalism, racism, religious hatred, are all born of the this mindset.

Its okay to not like things, its okay, but don't be a dick about it.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    B:L wrote:
    Rent wrote:
    if you're talking about SA and/or 4chan, the reason SA banned it was was there were far too many creepy weirdos basically being perverts and pedophiles in the 2 different threads created about the subject, both of which were locked due to rampant creepyposting. eventually the mods just got sick of modding the MLP SA thread and decided fuck it, we'll just ban discussion of it from the site because it's too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. basically the reasoning behind and implementation of a ban of MLP discussion from SA was the exact same as the reasoning behind and implementation of the ban of anime discussion on PA
    Pretty sure there were no perverts and pedophiles in the PA anime thread, and it was that people like Roger Wilco shouted it down.
    I'm the one that banned the SE Anime thread way back when and I'm pretty sure you are completely fucking wrong.

The last thing I want to do is perpetuate this argument or get involved in it again, but for the sake of accuracy I believe B:L is referring to the D&D anime thread, which from what I can tell was much less creepy than the SE thread... but apparently not uncreepy enough or we would still have one.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Falx wrote:
    The last thing I want to do is perpetuate this argument or get involved in it again

Apparently not

• either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I was sat outside Exeter Cathedral in the sun today when I suddenly heard "OKAY, LISTEN UP EVERYPONY!" Then I noticed the large group of people that I would guess were mostly college age who had dressed up like the ponies from the show and were running around neighing and getting a bit overexcited. Some of the costumes were really elaborate too. There was a pantomime horse style pony.

either,or on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    aw, and you didn't take pictures?

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like good cartoons. I happen to be of the opinion that MLP is a good cartoon. I enjoy watching it. I think it has good animation, art, and voice acting. The stories, while definitely for kids, also happen to have lots of fun, silly jokes that appeal to a wide variety of ages.

Just like pretty much everything else ever, there are people on the internet that take it to a creepy place. That doesn't make the source material a bad thing unto itself.

There are plenty of grown women who enjoy cartoons that are targeted at young boys. I have yet to see anyone decry them in the same way that they would freak out over adult men who like a pony cartoon. Kinda seems like a double standard to me.

BLM - ACAB
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    has anyone here even said any sort of opinion on the MLP show? hasn't it always been directed at the fans of the show?

like, my issue is with the fans. the show i actively dislike because of the fans but honestly couldn't care about one way or the other

but everyone here leveraging complaints about MLP seem to have it directly aimed at the fans. i mean i obvs cant speak for everyone but thats where im coming from at least

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    has anyone here even said any sort of opinion on the MLP show? hasn't it always been directed at the fans of the show?

like, my issue is with the fans. the show i actively dislike because of the fans but honestly couldn't care about one way or the other

but everyone here leveraging complaints about MLP seem to have it directly aimed at the fans. i mean i obvs cant speak for everyone but thats where im coming from at least

Well, yes, but the complaints seem to be "the fans should keep their opinions private because I don't agree with them/find them creepy" which I greatly disagree with. I haven't seen any fans aggressively proselytizing the show; in this thread no one even said anything till their preferences were called creepy. Sure, there are pony avatars, but I think they're cute.

As for the pony itself, I wouldn't have done it because I can't really see the joke in it, but I suspect it was very funny at the panel itself, and that's really the point of the make a strip panels anyways. It's a proud tradition that they be incomprehensible to those who weren't there :P.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    The show itself is fine. I'd even say it's good. If I had a kid I would not mind them watching it at all, and yes even maybe watch it with them. However, I'm just not sure why it deserves to be shoved into places it doesn't belong, like this comic for example. Now there are image macros and emotes and fanart of other shows in pony form all over the place. So yes, my issue is with the fanbase, because it's pretty rare for any show to get this sort of attention, and yes I think it's weird. Some people just really want other people to know that they like pony show. Maybe it makes them feel unique for having a contrary opinion.

Additionally, if you identify as a "brony" and use words like "anypony" unironically (or even ironically) then you need to dial it back.

Ultimately I don't care that much but this is two PAX comics in a row where people are requesting a pony in the comic for no reason. It's just like.. come on guys. We get it.

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    The whole bronie thing originated from 4chan and we all know that nothing good can ever come out of 4chan (I believe that almost no one who likes MLP calls himself a bronie or wants to be associated with the hardcore fans). Most places have outright banned ponies or restricted the discussion to a single thread, and this board is practically pony-free anyway (and seriously, no one raises an eyebrow when someone post the Fry-not-sure-if-serious or Fry-shut-up-and-take-my-money pics, so I don't see a problem with the occasional pony pic or gif, which are never used outside of appropriate threads anyway). As for the comic, I dunno why they picked a pony for a second time especially because it doesn't really make it any funnier (imo).

But you know what's really fucked up? When someone comes in and accuses the fans of the show of being creepy perverts and pedos (which, honestly, still doesn't make much sense to me). Seriously, the haters are at least as much to blame here as the fans.

Oh yeah and the new comic thread is out so this one is going to die shortly anyway.

• FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    fucking crowd

This comic is very funny

Fuga on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    At one of the PAX 10 indie panels, some guy got up to the mike and asked some normal question, and then he was like 'but that's just my lead-in to my real question, which is...who's your favorite pony?'

Jeff, who was MCing, immediately shut him down and said no pony questions, and thankfully all the panelists ignored it.

I don't have a problem with people who dig the show, but keep it out of my fucking indie dev Q&A.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    To be fair, the PAX comics tend to get random weird shit thrown in. Admittedly in this case it's especially nonsensical.

At least with the PAX East pony it was just a figure that also fits nicely with Gabe's love of ponies.

YL9WnCY.png
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    You know, while I have watched a couple of shows out of curiosity, I honestly think there is something a little weird about being super into the show. Liking the show obviously does not make you a pedo, but I'd wager that a lot of pedos like the show. The show is pretty good, better than a lot of the other animation out there. If you can't see that there's something a little odd about being an adoring fan, if you are a male over 20, you're walking around with blinders on.

I also find it odd when people, who are not transgender/gay, cosplay as off sex characters. Hey, what ever floats your boat though.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2011
    Lowlander wrote:
    I also find it odd when people, who are not transgender/gay, cosplay as off sex characters.

oh you're so dead wrong and I can prove it
    UBEpj.png
    (that's all cosplay pics I have, I swear)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    hey i think i know those two.

pretty sure they're dutch.

edit: wait no, only the chick on the left looks familiar.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote:
    I also find it odd when people, who are not transgender/gay, cosplay as off sex characters.

oh you're so dead wrong and I can prove it
    UBEpj.png
    (that's all cosplay pics I have, I swear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgoXUzIwXk0

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Lowlander wrote:
    you're walking around with blinders on.

Ok, I'm not sure if you did this on purpose or not, but it is hilarious.

BLM - ACAB
  • Lupal FillyusLupal Fillyus Registered User new member
    Riokenn wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:
    It's a show about ponies doing girl things like having prom or arguing about hairstyles.

Must have missed those two episodes...

Fine, one episode going to "the Gala" and the other about dresses then, close enough.

As far as the general discussion goes, MLP really is the border as far as things go. It's okay to watch women shows, it's okay to watch little boy cartoons, heck, Transformers is basically "cars and robots are cool!" Even watching shows ABOUT little girls cough lucky star cough is still somewhat acceptable. But small ponies? Nah.

But about the fandom being weird, sure. Remember that guy who changed his name to Optimus Prime a while back? Neither did I, except when someone mentioned it in a thread about some Scandinavian dude changing his name to Rainbow Aleksi Dash. Weird shit is still done by the transformers dudes, by any manga/anime fandom. The hate will just blow over once everyone realizes ponies are here to stay. In a year, noone will know about Rainbow A. Dash anymore and he will become just as anonymous as Optimus Prime.

Also season 2 started today squeeee :P