As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST]er Ideas

flatlineflatline Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
This thread is basically a place to brainstorm, plan, and implement community activities relating to the overlap of EAST and EASTER this year. The possibilities are endless, and our creativity bountiful, so we should probably plan now so we're not squabbling over details in February. Also, it appears that the Cookie Brigade may be working on something similar, so I wouldn't want to step on any toes that way.

Suggestions have included:
  • Easter Egg Coloring - who doesn't love painting eggs?
  • Easter Egg Hunt - Various prizes/methods have been suggested so far
  • More of a scavenger hunt/puzzle angle

Feel free to post your ideas, offer comments, etc.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
flatline on

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    just a quick reminder that easter is a religious holiday, one that is not celebrated or acknowledged by everyone. for that reason, i personally like the idea of sticking to the easter egg concept and not just easter generally, since the term "easter egg" has it's own meaning in a gaming context.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    just a quick reminder that easter is a religious holiday, one that is not celebrated or acknowledged by everyone. for that reason, i personally like the idea of sticking to the easter egg concept and not just easter generally, since the term "easter egg" has it's own meaning in a gaming context.

It doesn't matter that it's a religious holiday. It's still a holiday. You'll note that OP didn't say a thing about religion, and posted some nice ideas. You'll also notice that 95% of stores with Easter things are selling chocolate bunnies and plastic grass baskets, not pictures of Jesus bleeding on the cross, but it's still called Easter. If you're opposed to cutesy Easter goings-on, then... don't do it.

On another note, I think combining the Easter Egg Hunt and Scavenger Hunt into one would be kind of awesome, especially if we could get it made official. Anyone who's ever been to GenCon, you know how Mayfair gives you a resource from Catan every time you play a certain game, and you get entered into a raffle if you get all of them? Why not do something similar, only less obvious? PA could hide "Easter Eggs" around the convention. Congoers have to take hints from the guide or signs or something like that, and find a particular area of the convention that has a semi-hidden egg picture (Or, really, anything, though eggs on the ceiling or something is a cute idea. It could be a note that says "you found it, yay." It could be a screencap of a known easter egg from a video game.). Said congoer then proves they found it (Enforcer stationed in the area? Must show a snapped photo at a certain booth?) and receives a ticket/badge/pin/sticker/whatever. When you have all of them, you get entered into a drawing of some type. Said drawing would be held on Sunday. Maybe for a special "PAX EASTer" shirt or the like?

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    Two Words: Peep Fight.

6rceun58332p.png
    aikoe wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:

It doesn't matter that it's a religious holiday. It's still a holiday. You'll note that OP didn't say a thing about religion, and posted some nice ideas. You'll also notice that 95% of stores with Easter things are selling chocolate bunnies and plastic grass baskets, not pictures of Jesus bleeding on the cross, but it's still called Easter. If you're opposed to cutesy Easter goings-on, then... don't do it.

just to be clear, i'm not saying we shouldn't do anything easter-y because of the religious angle, just saying a) it's unlikely there will be anything official relating to it and b) going with the "easter egg" idea has a broader and more relevant-to-pax meaning. and whether it's jesus on the cross or bunnies and plastic grass, it doesn't change the fact that it is a religious holiday. it doesn't bother me personally, just trying to be respectful of all paxers.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    hidden extras in games are called 'easter eggs' for a reason. not due to any religious connotation, but because they're a nice, shiny surprise to be sought out and discovered.

there is no reason why there can't be something/anything added to the next PAX East as a result of it falling on Easter, nor should there be any reason to hold back on adding to the over-all PAX experience.

as for as the debate on religion goes, we have already been given guidance on the issue. Gabe is religious, Tycho is not(i'm sure i've got that the right way). They disagree to the point that the best compromise is to not talk about the subject at all. A compromise that we should all adopt, at the very least until after East 2012.

Wraith260 wrote:
    They disagree to the point that the best compromise is to not talk about the subject at all. A compromise that we should all adopt, at the very least until after East 2012.

this, i think, is really the point i was trying to make. done now.

7YIpfE5.png
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Back to the discussion at hand - here is an example of what I'm talking about with the puzzle clues thing. Obviously, this contest was at a Cybersecurity-focused con, so the puzzles are a bit more mathy/technical, but the idea is the same - hiding the "easter eggs" in plain sight.

Be warned though, I'm a little sore about this contest - I was "winning" until the very end. Didn't realize you could express an IP address as a regular old integer. We tried putting it into our browser (an iPhone) with no luck, and didn't think to try converting it to hex.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • AnnaThemaAnnaThema Registered User regular
    flatline wrote:
    Back to the discussion at hand - here is an example of what I'm talking about with the puzzle clues thing. Obviously, this contest was at a Cybersecurity-focused con, so the puzzles are a bit more mathy/technical, but the idea is the same - hiding the "easter eggs" in plain sight.

Be warned though, I'm a little sore about this contest - I was "winning" until the very end. Didn't realize you could express an IP address as a regular old integer. We tried putting it into our browser (an iPhone) with no luck, and didn't think to try converting it to hex.

Wow. Just... wow. I'm... pretty good at sudoku. This? I understood maybe a third of what was going on in Darth Null's post.

Maybe making something for those of us who's brains aren't such lavish feasts for the zombie hordes?

...I love lamp.

• SammySammy Registered User regular
    QuickSnap wrote:

peeps2.jpg

Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
    ^This.

I always hated peeps, so whenever I got them for Easter, me and my brother would place bets on a rousing game of peep jousting.

• SammySammy Registered User regular
    AnnaThema wrote:
    ^This.

I always hated peeps, so whenever I got them for Easter, me and my brother would place bets on a rousing game of peep jousting.

me and my brother were a bit more brutal.
    we would let our peeps sit for a couple of days and then start pelting each other with them.
    those sugary bastards hurt when you let them harden. ...we also aimed for the face though.

Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Man... I like peeps. Am I the only one?

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky wrote:

Oh no, pretty much everyone I know aside from my brother and myself love them, including my sister. It really added to the sadistic pleasure of watching peeps explode in the microwave when my sister was right behind yelling "YOU'RE WASTING PRECIOUS PEEEEEEPS!"

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Peeps are absolutely delicious. Everyone in my family tolerates them, but I have to stop myself from eating entire boxes in one sitting.

• KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    QuickSnap wrote:

Nice!

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I like scavenger hunts more than hiding Easter eggs. As someone who has hosted an Easter egg hunt before. They always miss a couple. So someone will have to be diligent about cleanup.

Although a shwag scavenger hunt might be kind of awesome.

zepherin on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    A digital-sort of hunt is a much better idea than a literal hunt for eggs. Leaving plastic eggs for people to find would just have too much risk involved (health, safety, and cleanup) to be a good idea- but finding clues and the like is great.

There were a few QR Code hunts at Prime, though not everyone has a smartphone, so keep this in mind.

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote:
    A digital-sort of hunt is a much better idea than a literal hunt for eggs. Leaving plastic eggs for people to find would just have too much risk involved (health, safety, and cleanup) to be a good idea- but finding clues and the like is great.
    Agreeing with the leaving of clues. And the awkwardness of morning sleepiness inspired sentence structures.

Some friends and I did a small Easter Egg hunt last year with about 15 people. Even on that scale there was a bit of a mess left over and some eggs popped up over the following weeks. (Something the convention center probably wouldn't enjoy.)

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I live a few blocks from Just Born where they make Peeps. Even got to go on a tour of the factory, and of course saw this lovely car.

peepscar.jpg

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    give a shout out to your peeps.

• FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    I love peeps especially when they're old and stiff.

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    So here's today's overly-ambitious idea. What if someone organized a big scavenger hunt and had some volunteers give clues? I'm thinking something halfway between an Easter Egg hunt and the Amazing Race. Post the first clue online or something. "The next Link: Between 11:00 and 12:00, find the Magic swordsman" says the clue, and between 11:00 and 12:00 someone in a Link costume gives out the next clue at the Magic: The Gathering area.

If you found the last person and had found everyone else, you get Peeps or a commemorative PAX Easter Egg Hunt button or something.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    ^ I love this idea. It might need a separate thread to fully hash out I think? Either way I'd love to help set up something like that if you need help. =)

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut