As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where do you think the next PAX should be?

lazkatazlazkataz Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
So, as some of you may already know, there is going to be a third PAX.
(http://www.shacknews.com/article/69942/penny-arcade-expo-planning-third-city-expansion)
Personally, I think it should be either in San Francisco or Chicago.
Maybe I'm being bias because I live in California, but I think SF would be a great place for another PAX. Very good public transportation, cheap hotels, and an awesome city with great culture. Where do you guys think it should be?

lazkataz on

• basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    It seems to me that if you're going to take the trouble to have a third PAX you'd choose somewhere further away from Seattle than SF. Otherwise what's the point? If it isn't in the South then it must be in Europe.

• cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    chicago is a good suggestion, i also think it could be in texas as well as there are a ton of developers down there as well

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I doubt any third PAX will be in North America. My vote goes to Australia.

E6LkoFK.png

I would vote for Texas too were it in North America, but I'm with Moe, I think it's outside. And there are many Aussies (and Kiwis) who come every year. Might be the motivation I need for that trip Down Under I've been putting off!

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    Off chance of another US one, I'd love to see it in Orlando. PAX day at Universal Studios or Disney World would be awesome!

Outside of the US, Paris, only because I would love to see the nerds take over the city! I'd finally have a good reason to go visit the in-laws too.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • drale03drale03 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Austin TX could handle a PAX? My Second vote if its in the U.S. would be Denver with our shiny new convention center.

• cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    I would vote for Texas too were it in North America, but I'm with Moe, I think it's outside. And there are many Aussies (and Kiwis) who come every year. Might be the motivation I need for that trip Down Under I've been putting off!

i second australia if PAX goes international. i have some fam down there that i'd be able to finally visit :) and i know would love to go to pax

• stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    Spain.

Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    europe seems better than australia to me just as far as transportation goes--anyone outside of australia would have to fly in, but europe gives more people train/driving options. then again, there do seem to be a good number of australians who make the trek out to the us for existing paxes (what is the plural of pax?). i'm guessing some research will be done in regards to gamer/developer interest in various locations before a decision is made though, so who knows?

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think it is very unlikely that it will be in the US.

Australia is a good thought, but it seems so out of the way for people to get to and it doesn't have the same local population that the US or Europe have.

I'm still thinking somewhere in Europe, but I could be in for a surprise.

• rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I can't imagine them wanting to put another PAX near either of the first two. I wouldn't entirely discount a PAX South, but PAX Europe/Australia would seem like more obvious routes for expansion for now.

As always, I would love to see a PAX UK, if it's going to be in Europe. Germany already has GDC & Gamescom. France could be an option. I'm not aware of any other countries in Europe with a strong developer presence... but probably someone else can correct me?

rnicoll on
  • iSurrenderiSurrender Registered User regular
    PAX UK is likely, but I am seriously rooting for a PAX North in dear O' Canada.

• rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    iSurrender wrote:
    PAX UK is likely, but I am seriously rooting for a PAX North in dear O' Canada.

I'd be cautious that Canada is quite low population, and well covered by Boston & Seattle being towards the north of the US, which is a bad start. OTOH, I'd love to visit Canada, so PAX Toronto or PAX Montreal would be awesome!

• parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    If it's in NA it'll be Texas, if it's anywhere else it'll be Europe.

• iguyiguy Registered User regular
    parabola wrote:

Yeah that's what i was thinking. But still if I could choose, I would go Miami in January, Prime in September, East in May. I just want to go somewhere warm in the winter.

• pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    I say have it in either these 5 cities
    London (PAX UK)
    Paris (PAX EURO)
    Sydney (OUTPAX) get it outback
    Sao Palo (South of the Border PAX)
    Tokyo (PAXU Desu)

Give me a reason to fly to Asia or Europe plz penny arcade :D

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    Also I think the last place it should be is TEXAS, Chicago, Canada, or Mexico. The point is to bring it closer to people not for North America to hog it >.>

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have that post about PAX My House? I always get a kick out of that when this thread comes up.
    London (PAX UK)
    Paris (PAX EURO)
    Tokyo (PAXU Desu)

THIS.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    London (PAX UK)
    Paris (PAX EURO)
    Tokyo (PAXU Desu)

I would vote for Australia just to have an OUTPAX. That is made of win sir.

Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Take over Quakecon.

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    drale03 wrote:
    Does anyone know if Austin TX could handle a PAX? My Second vote if its in the U.S. would be Denver with our shiny new convention center.

Austin couldn't handle it i don't think. The convention center has only like 250,000 Sq Ft space which is (i think) less than 1/2 of Seattle.
    parabola wrote:

I'd love to see a PAX in Europe. Realistically its the only thing that could get me to go to Europe. I want to, but i wont be going anytime soon. Unless its for PAX. lol
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

There was a Gamasutra article (that someone referenced in another spot in the forums) that said that another PAX would likely be out of NA. So i agree, i doubt its in NA as well.

• DrassanDrassan Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

I'd love this but unless you had alot of people flying in you probably wouldn't get the numbers to make it worthwhile. They tried running a Gencon Oz in Brisbane and that didn't make it past a year or two (though there were probably other factors involved there.)

• SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    For US - I think a PAX South would be perfect. My vote is for New Orleans.

Swae wrote:
    For US - I think a PAX South would be perfect. My vote is for New Orleans.

Ha, you're biased Swae!
    I'd love a PAX Montreal. Won't happen.

• SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    I vote pax disneyland.

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • iSurrenderiSurrender Registered User regular
    If neither of these PAX locations work out, I vote for an underwater PAX.

PAX RAPTURE.

Sumi wrote:
    I vote pax disneyland.

I like the way you think.

• teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    Sumi wrote:
    I vote pax disneyland.

10 min drive to PAX = FTW

Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • riryriry Registered User regular
    I'd love a PAX Honolulu.

I didn't have time for an actual signature, so here's a picture of a cat with a tinfoil hat.
  • big haircutbig haircut Registered User regular
    PAX Phoenix? They do have a new giant convention center :) The weather is amazing from October - February as well.

• Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
    What would PAX do in any country that's not English-speaking? Just run an English con or would it try to "localize"?

I'd like to see something in Japan or Korea. There are lots of Chinese & Korean devs, especially for MMOs, plus lots and lots of players. I saw a lot of them at GDC and Tokyo Game Show last year, and I think their games are being localized into English more often now than before. There are also a bunch of Japanese developers who don't have a presence at PAX but do still have their games translated. Japan does have TGS and probably a billion smaller cons, but it'd be really interesting to attend an English-language gaming con in Japan.

Which devs are in Australia? I think exhibitors would drive the location as much as if not more than attendees, and I'm not sure if you'd have enough heavy hitters in Australia.

• avsfan590avsfan590 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    PAX Toronto, Canada. The metro Toronto convention center would definitely be
    A) The MTC Center is suitable for pretty large Crowds
    B) Be a closer option for most Canadians and american's closer to Canada
    C) plenty of places to see and things to do in T.O if your the person who wants to see a bit while attending PAX
    D) Cheap
    E) Hotel's are readily available and most hotels are maybe a 5-30 minute walk to the Convention center and are located Downtown.
    F) Tim Hortons

Hope they Say Toronto honestly it works out pretty good

avsfan590 on
  • 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    Salt Lake City, UT! We have mountains! We have a big, stinky mudhole! We have a religious temple for you to visit!

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    even though another north american pax seems extremely unlikely, if for some reason they were to do one, i think a pax south in texas is the most reasonable option. first and foremost, we're probably looking at a winter pax no matter where it is, so southern heat should make that situation bearable (winter pax in canada is kind of a scary thought). secondly, since both existing paxes are northerly, heading south just makes sense. also, apparently dallas has a super huge convention center with an adjacent hotel about to open in a couple of months. so yeah, if a third north american pax happens, i vote texas.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Atlanta has a boatload of convention space. Other American cities could be somewhere in Texas (someone mentioned Austin doesn't have enough convention center space, what about San Antonio?) or Chicago.

If it's international, it has to be in Europe, so if you ask me you're probably talking England or Germany. I think a London PAX was somewhat seriously explored earlier this year but didn't pan out.

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    I suggested PAX Melbourne (Oz, not Florida) to Khoo and he laughed. :( It does make a tad more sense than Sydney though. Syd doesn't give tax incentives to gaming companies. Melbourne and Brisbane both have decent gaming populations & cultures. Perth's just too damn far away.k

If it's in the states, I would guess Austin or Chicago. If it's outside the US and not in Oz, I'd say:
    1) Somewhere in Canada
    2) London
    3) New Zealand

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    London or Tokyo.

I honestly wouldn't care which, and both make roughly equal sense.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I would bet money that it'll be Austin, Texas. It's geographically far away from the other cons, it's got plenty of infrastructure to hold a good con, it's got a big local population, and there's lots of developers down there.

* It won't be outside the US, that would be a huge nightmare for organization, both for the PA crew and especially for exhibitors, and wouldn't make logistical sense when there's still plenty of room for another PAX in the US.
    * It won't be in California, it's too close to Seattle and while it'd be successful, it'd also massively undercut Pax Prime.
    * It won't be in the midwest, not enough developers around, not enough build-in local nerd population.

Austin, baby.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    I'd love PAX Deutschland. I'll translate! PA can come have dinner at my grandma's house!

Bummer they already have Gamescom and it's enormous and people camp in tents in Cologne for it. Fun story, the Rift free download cards were in German since they were leftovers. The guy that gave it to me looked at me really funny when I started reading "Schliess dich unserer Horde an!" out loud. :mrgreen:

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    There are several qualitative factors that need to be considered before a place is going to be chosen.
    1. A large fan base.
    2. Developers in the region, or willing to travel there.
    3. A profitable venue.
    4. For international venues, country stability.

Australia doesn't have much in terms of developers. It has the fans but can they get the developers to go? Can they get the various extra groups who have small budgets to go?
    Toronto would be a reasonable choice but it is too close to Boston and may canabalize people making PAX east and the PAX 3 less profitable.
    England or Germany would probably be the best international venues for profitability. The areas are stable they can bring in a bunch of European developers. Costs would be high, and the EU has wonky labor laws but both areas have access to large gamer and development communities. The pool of people with reasonable access to the convention would be in the 700-800 million people range so they can go big.

If it's in the US Austin or Houston. Texas has a large gamer population. Chicago also isn't a bad choice, but the only thing near Chicago is Chicago. That's it.