As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where do you think the next PAX should be?

• cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    My vote (though, obviously it doesn't count for anything, lol) for outside N America is England or Germany. If it is inside N. America, it would need to be in the mid-south, furthest away from the other two. I'd love to see PAX in the midwest, but I think "as far away as possible" makes the most sense.

• cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    I think my biggest curiosity is actually what time of year it will be held.

• SenicksSenicks Registered User regular
    Outer space, PAX is way too epic to be on Earth.

but seriously, seeing how crazy Gamescon got judging from the pictures. I think somewhere in Europe will be just right, UK perhaps?

• TangoTango Registered User regular
    There already is a third PAX. Just that it's for developers. ;)

As for a fourth PAX - who knows? (Well, except PAHQ, obviously.)

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Tango wrote:
    There already is a third PAX. Just that it's for developers. ;)

As for a fourth PAX - who knows? (Well, except PAHQ, obviously.)
    Yeah PAX Dev is more a prelude to PAX Prime. As far as I can tell it is more of a set of seminars than a convention. I could be wrong though as I am not a video game developer.

zepherin on
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    if it was in Australia i would be all over it!

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    going by comments from Mike and Jerry, as well as the survey put out after the last PAX East, it's pretty much a given that the next PAX will be in Europe, with the survey heavily suggesting London as the preference.

The now very old survey thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/18867510#Comment_18867510

for what its worth my only change in opinion is that Glasgow may very well be the best city for PAX, rather that suggesting it out of pure bias. though i'll concede that i'm assuming that there wont be a new PAX for at least another 4-5 years.

• thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    i thought they weren't going to do one in Europe because there's already another similar expo there?

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • squeakyboysqueakyboy Registered User regular
    rnicoll wrote:
    iSurrender wrote:
    PAX UK is likely, but I am seriously rooting for a PAX North in dear O' Canada.

I'd be cautious that Canada is quite low population, and well covered by Boston & Seattle being towards the north of the US, which is a bad start. OTOH, I'd love to visit Canada, so PAX Toronto or PAX Montreal would be awesome!

Population Density is just as important as population. Southern Ontario has a high population density and has the same population as the northwestern USA (approx 12 million). Couple that with upstate New York and Eastern Michigan and you are close to 15 million. That's enough to draw from for a good con. FanEXPO in Toronto pulls in over 60k each year (when it was 3 days).
    avsfan590 wrote:
    PAX Toronto, Canada. The metro Toronto convention center would definitely be
    A) The MTC Center is suitable for pretty large Crowds
    B) Be a closer option for most Canadians and american's closer to Canada
    C) plenty of places to see and things to do in T.O if your the person who wants to see a bit while attending PAX
    D) Cheap
    E) Hotel's are readily available and most hotels are maybe a 5-30 minute walk to the Convention center and are located Downtown.
    F) Tim Hortons

Hope they Say Toronto honestly it works out pretty good

MTCC is larger than WSCC but slightly smaller than BCEC in terms of exhibit hall. MTCC has more meeting room space though. Problem is that it is split into two buildings. The South is big enough for PAX but there isn't really anywhere good to queue. They would probably need to split the exhibit hall between the two buildings, each with their own queue rooms. There are other large rooms for tabletop/BYOC/console/etc but I don't think the theater is big enough. (1300, the Paramount was nearly twice as big). They could use the Princess or Roy Thompson instead. Personally I think they should just get the Rogers center as well. I am sure Paul/Storm/Joco would love to play in a stadium.

Hotel density is not as good as Seattle, but better than Boston. Prices are higher for Americans because of exchange rate.

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    PAX Sweden. ;)

47uk6agplx83.png
  • AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    Chicago, Austin, or Europe.

• rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    Buraisu wrote:
    PAX Sweden. ;)

PAX Iceland. Just rent the country out for a weekend.

• YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    Senicks wrote:
    Outer space, PAX is way too epic to be on Earth.

but seriously, seeing how crazy Gamescon got judging from the pictures. I think somewhere in Europe will be just right, UK perhaps?

The moon. Moon Base PAX.
    Or OUTPAX. I love that name.
    Or Canada, for selfish reasons.

• bigo2magsbigo2mags Registered User regular
    PAXMid. Chicago. Would be AWESOME.

PAXEuro would be cool too, I just would have no clue how I'm going to afford that flight.

userbar694334an1.gif
    userbar741514.gif
  • EnragedTemplarEnragedTemplar Registered User regular
    i have to say, if it is staying in north america, you cant get any bigger than Dallas, Texas. the main exhibition hall is 750,000sq ft (seattle is about 300,000). it has a 10,000 seat arena, and 6 other various sized theaters. not to mention about 50 other meeting and smaller conference rooms.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    after looking at convention center stats (and even though i still think it will be euro pax), i think i'm changing my vote from dallas tx to austin tx. dallas does have a crazy huge convention center with an adjacent hotel (excellent feature), but it's all pretty new and elaborate and probably very expensive to book. austin's convention center is plenty big, bigger than bcec, has several hotels within a couple of blocks, and has lots of public transportation access. it's also in an area with lots of stuff around and, overall, i'm personally a lot more interested in visiting austin than dallas. for some people that's not a factor--they're going for pax and that's all--but a lot of people make pax their vacation and plan extra days for sightseeing and other non-pax activities.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    The last I heard that Mr Khoo had stopped short of exploring the UK for PAX thanks to the existence of EuroGamer Expo. Check this thread out for more details: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/144174/pax-uk-scuppered-by-eurogamer-expo

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    kropotkin wrote:
    The last I heard that Mr Khoo had stopped short of exploring the UK for PAX thanks to the existence of EuroGamer Expo. Check this thread out for more details: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/144174/pax-uk-scuppered-by-eurogamer-expo

Hmm. Wouldn't have minded a trip to London. I like Liger's Melbourne idea. It's the Seattle of Oz!

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    ...austin's convention center is plenty big, bigger than bcec, has several hotels within a couple of blocks, and has lots of public transportation access. it's also in an area with lots of stuff around and, overall, i'm personally a lot more interested in visiting austin than dallas...

So originally when i looked yesterday i thought that the WSCC had much more expo hall space. I found a floorplan that says the fourth floor has 205K sq ft. Then the sixth floor was something like 40-50K. I don't know the exact layout PAX had this year. So with those numbers, i guess Austin can cover it. Austin's main hall is 250K. So i'm back on board with saying that Austin would be cool. But BCEC is double that, its main hall is 500K sq ft.

As stated, Austin has a ton of things to do right downtown. All easy walking distance from the hotels and convention center. Mostly along the lines of bars and restaurants, but some others as well. Plus we have quite a few developers in town. So the travel for some of the big names like NCSoft and Bioware would be easy lol.

• nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    I doubt it'll be the US or Canada... but it could be done I suppose to help alleviate attendance pressure. Part of the cool thing about PAX though is meeting people who've traveled so far. However, if people had more options then maybe there wouldn't be such fast selling out & forgery concerns.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    On the extremely unlikely chance that another PAX does happen in North America, it will be in Austin for the simple reason that Austin has gave developers there.

E6LkoFK.png

• rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    Yuritau wrote:
    The moon. Moon Base PAX.

It's worth noting that a lunar day is apparently 27 Earth days ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_day - Wikipedia told me so, it must be true), and as such moon PAX would be 81 days long...

JimmyWild wrote:
    Austin's main hall is 250K. So i'm back on board with saying that Austin would be cool. But BCEC is double that, its main hall is 500K sq ft.

oops, i stand corrected. i was mistakenly comparing bcec's main hall square footage to the overall numbers for austin. still a viable option, though.

7YIpfE5.png
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    oops, i stand corrected. i was mistakenly comparing bcec's main hall square footage to the overall numbers for austin. still a viable option, though.

I did the same thing yesterday comparing WSCC and Austin lol :)

Trying to think of outside of US places. If Europe is out cause of competition with Eurogamer then where? Most of the major markets have conventions don't they? I like the Australia idea. But is there a big developer base there? And isn't Australia a super long flight from almost anywhere?

Japan? TGS has that covered. Would PAX and TGS play well together?

Russia? Anything going on there?

I still like London as my favorite place outside of NA.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Atlanta is the obvious choice, since I wouldn't need to travel.

Also, we have several gigantic convention centers to choose from.

And the place that makes the Double Coronary Bypass burger.

I don't know what else you need, seriously.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    jonxp wrote:

Game developers

E6LkoFK.png

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    jonxp wrote:

Game developers

We have as many as TWO game dev houses in town. Maybe up to six if you count mobile devs. I mean...that's just insurmountable. Did I mention that burger has grilled cheese sandwiches for buns? Because it does.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    I'd like PAX Canada in Toronto. We've got game devs here and in Montreal, and a bunch of indie devs as well.

Toronto is WAY too close to Boston to be feasible though.

E6LkoFK.png

Also, a thought. Perhaps to predict the location of the third pax, we should compile a list of all the cities Khoo has visited in the last 18-24 months. Pretty sure that the location of the third PAX is likely to be on that list.

E6LkoFK.png

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Also, a thought. Perhaps to predict the location of the third pax, we should compile a list of all the cities Khoo has visited in the last 18-24 months. Pretty sure that the location of the third PAX is likely to be on that list.
    That sounds like some creepy facebook twitter stalking. I love it get on it.

zepherin on
  • DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    If the new PAX is in North America, it will be in Austin. Without a doubt.

• WapieWapie Registered User regular
    "However, the duo have previously expressed interest in holding a third convention in an international location"
    Something tells me, it will more then likely be outside the US
    I vote Bahama's so I can do some beach cosplay!

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    PAX Secret Volcano Lair

• UltimaBuddyUltimaBuddy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    If a PAX is going to be in Europe, I imagine it being in the capitals. London, Paris, Berlin and Madrid come to mind. There might be other non-capital cities that could host it. It really just comes down to who is most able and hospitable towards incoming attendees. Also, the closest common city that isn't too expensive.

It's not my intention to say anything bad about Italy, but I'm not sure they'd be well-equipped to handle an influx on 60,000+ people for a weekend (mass-transit wise).

To be honest, I'd prefer one in the south. Texas (not too crazy about Houston), perhaps?

At the risk of suggesting an unpopular and unnecessary location, I'm just throwing NYC out there.

UltimaBuddy on
    LoL: UltraBuddy
    LIECHTENSTEIN!

Pros: For 70k/night you can rent the whole country.

Cons: The entire country is about 33,000 people and only has accommodations for 900.

E6LkoFK.png

PAX Secret Volcano Lair

seconded.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Let's actually look at this realistically people. The only time a third PAX can be placed is in the mid-Nov through early-Jan time frame.

1) This will require the con to be someplace that is not experiencing snow and ice, so a warmer climate.
    2) This is already the busiest travel time of the year for the holidays and winter vacations. Said vacations going to such places as indicated in item 1.
    3) This is a time of year when many folks can't afford an extraneous trip due to holiday shopping and travel plans.
    4) Given items 1 and 2, hotels have no incentive to offer discounted room rates as they have no problem filling their rooms during their tourist season.

A third PAX may seem magical and yes, it may have been brought up but it isn't set in stone and really makes no business sense. Three PAXes, evenly spaced (as if that will actually happen) means roughly four months (120'ish days) between events, which is a horrendously short amount of time for planning and bookings. Tickets for the next event would have to go on sale almost immediately after the previous event ended, as well as panel submissions having to roll in. You would have the events tripping over each. Heck, as it stands now, Heels is effectively full-time on PAX with just two events; we would need to clone the poor guy.

It makes far more sense to turn the existing events into five days, Thursday thru Monday. Sell 5-day, 3-day (Fri-Sun) and individual day passes. We're still outside tourist season in both cities, so the hotels will still gladly offer the discount blocks and many of them already do cover extended days outside of Thurs - Sun. We already have the convention center for the whole week leading up to the event, so there's no real issue there. Set-up and tear-down remain the same, just on different days. The cost-benefit on doing this makes WAY more sense than creating a third PAX.

Steel Fire wrote:
    A third PAX may seem magical and yes, it may have been brought up but it isn't set in stone and really makes no business sense.

from the link in the OP:
    "Penny Arcade's Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik have confirmed plans to host a third Penny Arcade Expo, in addition to the current Seattle and Boston locations.

'Yeah, there's going to be a third PAX,' Krahulik said.

'Believe it,' Holkins added in the Joystiq interview."

joystiq interview also says that they already have a city in mind, so it sounds pretty well confirmed.

7YIpfE5.png
  • pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    North America does not need another pax :/ I still like my OUTPAX idea, I need to copywrite that so i can make PA call it "OUTPAX brought to you by pillarofdawn" and not charge them a single cent

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.