As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scroll [Buttoneers] so good, like the butter on a muffin (Discount GET!)

1181920212224»

• CadynCadyn Registered User regular
    I had difficulties buttoneering this year, largely due to a few mistakes I made.

Mistake #1: Traveling with others, among them non-PAX goers.
    Mistake #2: Not attending panels/concerts.
    Mistake #3: Not utilizing the Enforcers' knowledge of the location of buttoneering Enforcers.
    Mistake #4: Leaving the convention center to eat multiple times a day, at establishments far away to avoid crowding.

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say those were mistakes as much as slight hindrances. I recommend (and practice) #4 as a good idea!

Next year, an easy way to get a good number of buttons is to come by the BYOC area. There are a lot of folks in there who trade buttons, and just ask an Enforcer to help you out with that.

Also, regarding folks not on Buttoneering.org, I'm going to say this ahead of time...it is everyone's prerogative to not join the site if they don't wish to. While I would love it if we had 100% participation, and I tried to provide enough value with the site, I completely understand if someone doesn't want to have to sign up for yet *another* website. The overwhelming majority of you guys did join, and it was much more successful than I anticipated.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:
    I wouldn't say those were mistakes as much as slight hindrances. I recommend (and practice) #4 as a good idea!

Next year, an easy way to get a good number of buttons is to come by the BYOC area. There are a lot of folks in there who trade buttons, and just ask an Enforcer to help you out with that.
    I always forget about BYOC. I've never done it, so it's always off my radar of things to do at PAX...I'll need to fix that...

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • RisiaRisia Registered User regular
    Cadyn wrote:
    Mistake #4: Leaving the convention center to eat multiple times a day, at establishments far away to avoid crowding.
    The first buttons I traded were on Thursday afternoon in the Westlake Center foodcourt, before PAX had even started. :)

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Risia wrote:
    Cadyn wrote:
    The first buttons I traded were on Thursday afternoon in the Westlake Center foodcourt, before PAX had even started. :)

Ditto.

OrokosPA.png
    Risia wrote:
    Cadyn wrote:

Well, in all fairness, I had your Pinky Pie button back in June...but that's neither here nor there. :)

A lot of it is also finding other buttoneers and being able to be found by other buttoneers. The only way I seem to find other buttoneers is if I see 3-6 of the same buttons on a lanyard/hat that's not an known exhibitor give away.

Scanning the Buttoneering app a lot before PAX also was a great way to know what buttons were out there. Yeah, in the past there was always the edit in the first post, but the app just made getting hte prior knowledge of buttons a bit easier.

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • giraffeoverlordgiraffeoverlord Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:

That's what I did on Saturday night! Huge thanks to Big Red, who made an announcement over the BYOC loud speaker and had buttoneers come up to trade with me. :) I made more trades at that time than I had all day Friday and Saturday. :)

TWDT Ravenclaw Perfect Attendance!
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head Girl, 2011-12. CACAW!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    A truly awesome feature for the buttoneering app: A message feed where people could announce "I'm trading buttons <here> for 20 minutes" and it would cause an alert via the app.

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    A truly awesome feature for the buttoneering app: A message feed where people could announce "I'm trading buttons <here> for 20 minutes" and it would cause an alert via the app.

That would be pretty awesome. Although maybe we could agree on a Twitter hashtag instead? Less work for jonxp that way...if people use twitter anyway... :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
    zerzhul wrote:

I thought about that, and have the initial work in place to get that in to the Android app for next year.

twitter would certainly work, but would require everyone to use twitter. something buttoneering centric seems useful ;) but certainly could be done with another service

• Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    Just to put this here, so far these folks have expressed interest in remote swapping. Go back a bit for more information until I get a thread devoted to it up. Moe suggested I give it a week or so then post.
    Menolly07
    ChaoticMuse
    Cadyn
    Dannicus
    psychopez
    Rogue_Hunter
    Knight_
    Crispy262
    zerzhul
    skarsol (+1?)

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Me too, Menolly! :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • weewee Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I just thought of another feature for the app: public wish lists, (maybe a subset of uncollected buttons?) would be particularly helpful for things like the remote swap.

It doesn't have to be public by default, but some way to share the list with others (I.e. Remote swap coordinator) and tally the buttons would be nice. I suppose we can take a screenshot of our uncollected list and email it to Menolly07 so she can say "I would like 9 of alegria's buttons, 10 of jonxp's buttons, 3 of wee's buttons, etc... to complete the swap." but now I'm just rambling so I will stop here.

wee on
  • EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    I thought it over, and I would like to be a part of the remote swap.
    I have quite a few of both my buttons, but I would like to honor the spirit of my bonus button to trade that for only other bonus buttons (or swag if you got something at the con you don't care that much for).

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I need to go through the site to see whos buttons I missed.
    (I think I have more buttons than the board that was given to mike & jerry, lol)

Also the first button trade was me & chaosisorder the Saturday before PAX ;)

Who didnt get one of my buttons who was on the buttoneering site?

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I was giving a lot of previous year buttons along with my current button, so I had a total of 5 buttons I was giving away. I didn't know I was going to be bringing the other 4 until I was packing to go to PAX so in an effort to help people identify them, here is the info about them. I may, if I'm not lazy, upload them to the buttoneering website. I also have a bunch of the other 4 left over if people want them. I am low on the current year button so consider them Limited Edition.

2011 - Full Throttle rectangle - Ben with Chainsaw - "avatar" button
    2010 - Day of the Tentacle - Purple Tentacle - avatar button
    2010 - Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - Guybrush digging up Largo LaGrande's grandfather's bone.. with his pants down - bonus button #1
    2010 - Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition - Guybrush digging up Largo LaGrande's grandfather's bone.. with his pants down but in glorious high detail - bonus button #2
    2009 - Octopus Flipping you off 8 times - avatar button

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I still have quite a few of my two main buttons.

I, however, am lazy and am not signing up for shit. If'n you want my buttons, we can totally do a mail trade. I'm totally into it, dudes.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • MallinMallin Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Menolly07 wrote:
    Just to put this here, so far these folks have expressed interest in remote swapping. Go back a bit for more information until I get a thread devoted to it up. Moe suggested I give it a week or so then post.

I'm interested too.

There is a few buttons that I didn't get that I really wanted, and if they don't come up in the remote swap, I might have to contact the people and see if I can get the image and then just make myself one.

like the ones that Reverend Snide, Sageheart, Blicca, JonXP, Cosmic Hippo, Delora, Coldbrew, and Ghola Duncan made

Mallin on
    Mallin wrote:
    Menolly07 wrote:

I'm interested too.

There is a few buttons that I didn't get that I really wanted, and if they don't come up in the remote swap, I might have to contact the people and see if I can get the image and then just make myself one.

like the ones that Reverend Snide, Sageheart, Blicca, JonXP, Cosmic Hippo, Delora, Coldbrew, and Ghola Duncan made

Unfortunately, I gave out all of mine except for the PA TF2 server buttons.

jonxp wrote:

Just keep DMing me your names, that's how I'm making sure I'm keeping track. Also, there are probably lots of folks who gave theirs all out, so, sadly, just asking for one won't get you one and only community participation widens the availability. I can only track/mail what I have in hand and to the people that make sure to DM their info etc. I'm going to put up a thread on Monday, and I'll link it here. Just keep talking about it, recruiting people to join in. The more people participate, the more likely your buttons can be got.

twitter.com/Menolly07
  • MallinMallin Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote:

Would you mind if I made some for my self using your graffics? I have 3 button machines to my name

• G4MERG4MER Registered User regular
    I missed many buttons this year, I suggest we have a meet up at BYOC. I camp there, and had my button towel hanging from my belt and did not get asked about buttons but a couple times. Congrats to the lucky few who got my Pony Button! And thanks so much for making a big deal of it who got it.. Loved the girl who jumped up and down and made funny noises and squeals she was so excited to find me and get that button, you made buttoneering worth it.. so THANK YOU! Maybe we can do some mail trading? or if you have some left please bring them next year... I have many many left.

g4mer_paxsig.png
  • adesteradester Registered User regular
    I had more of a buttoneering success this year than last. It is kind of weird since I wore my buttons all over my last year and still came out with a lot. But then again this year I went to the after pax meet up in from of the convention center which left me with about 4 or 5 extra buttons in the end.

At which I'm willing to trade/mail to someone. :D

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I also am interested in remote swapping. I have a few Pinkie Pie Cookie Brigade buttons left (there might be a reprint for east, haven't decided yet {yes I know east doesn't button, that doesn't mean I can't}), tons of Shepard buttons and Talk to Everyone buttons.

I especially wanna swap with you, Menolly, you were one of the few pony buttons I was unable to find. /cry
    (I'm so happy that I got all of the Katamari Damacy Pony buttons. PRIDE AND JOY)

Oh, and I found a few official cookie brigade buttons that ended up in my spare bag. If anyone wants one, I'll send it along in exchange for a promise to donate to child's play at some point.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • VadoBananeVadoBanane Registered User new member
    jonxp wrote:

I tried to find some buttoneers that way as I figured meeting some of y'all would help me feel more comfortable about joining in if I can make it to PAX next year...all I was told was that buttoneers were "all over the place." I didn't keep asking around since I was only there for Friday this year, but that coupled with the nasty cold I got made it a less than promising experience.

• Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    Laziest button showoff ever.

http://i.imgur.com/YeLPd.jpg

At least I took a picture this time. Nah, I will get button photos proper later.

I'M HALPING!
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ill try and get a picture of mine sometime tomorrow.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    twitter.com/Menolly07
    edited September 2011
    For my bonus button, I required the answer to one question: "What Is The Most Emotional Response Ever Had From A Video Game?"

Here are everyone's responses, as best as I could decipher from my chicken scratch. There were a few I couldn't read, or made no sense ("CALEB!!!", "Line nation wehe")

-Beat Legend Of Zelda (NES) without getting hit once
    -Aeris Dying
    -The End of Castlevania I (SNES)
    -All of Heavy Rain
    -Earthbound - had to rent the game over and over, hoping the save never was erased. It was gone for a week at one point, when the person got it back, the save was still there.
    -The Ending of ODST
    -Beating Mega Man 1. Kept the game on, hid the light on the NES so parents wouldn't know it was on to 'save' between stages
    -First Pikman, the graphics not being what was expected for the Gamecube, and was the first experience with a 3D controller
    -The total feeling of fear in Alone In The Dark
    -Halo 3 - a 'fall on the floor' ending
    -Any rage quit, normally cool in everything, but the rare rage quit is something primal
    -Minecraft and Portal 2: both had a OMG what just happened to me! feeling
    -The opening to Chrono Cross
    -Final Fantasy 7 - Cloud falling off the ship into the Lifestream
    -Earthbound - The ending, just the ending
    -Portal - the feeling of breaking the game at the end of chamber 19
    -Getting a Mythic Rare in WoW
    -Earning the Man vs Tank achievement in Left 4 Dead, the rush during the 1 on 1 combat.
    -"2 seconds before throwing the remote"
    -Being able to share games with their son when he is old enough
    -Sharing a laugh with some who was legitimately scared at the original Unreal
    -Falling out of a chair while playing Left 4 Dead the first time a zombie jumped out
    -Throwing Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles against the wall
    -Having a crush on Alistar from Dragon Age: Origins.
    -When their 7 year old newbie female cousin beat their 17 year old male experienced cousin in a FPS, knocking him down a notch
    -Killing Ryan in Bioshock
    -Beating the end boss of Final Fantasy 8 at 3:00a in the morning, at the end of 6 hours of "just 5 more minutes, just 5 more minutes"
    -"Brothers all the way"
    -Joystick dying in the middle of a match at major MvC3 tournament
    -Throwing up in their mouth during a Evolution 2000 match to stay in the round, and still losing
    -Sly Cooper 2 Master Thief making them angry, causing them to break 2 PS2 controllers
    -Finally, finally beating Super Mario Brothers 1 (NES)
    -Beating the Red Queen in Alice 1
    -In Need for Speed, knocking a post over the donut and watching their son learn how to do it. Over and over again...
    -When that "motherf***er" killed their dog in Fable 2
    -A feeling of awe in Bioshock, realizing that games can be so much more
    -The end of Bastion
    -The end of Final Fantasy Tactics
    -In the middle of F.E.A.R., the screen turned red and black, making her scream as loud as she could.
    -Their kids overwriting their Pokemon save game
    -Their mom took them to see the release of Final Fantasy 1. Thought beating Garland was the whole game, but crossing the bridge and seeing it was just the start...
    -The ending of Metal Gear Solid 3, and Personas 3 and 4
    -Shadows of the Colossus - the contrast of slaying what seemed like non-evil creatures.

Thanks for sharing all of these, I plan on doing something like this for next year...

Edit: To answer Infidel's question and to make it more front and center, here is what my bonus button was, Recursion.1. 3 guesses as to what next year's Recursion.2 button will be:
    buttonRecursion1.jpg
    This way, even people who are starting new every year has a chance to have all of my buttons... :)

psychopez on

-Italo Calvino
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Which was your bonus button for that?

OrokosPA.png
    Hey guys, just wanted to ping over here. Buttons for the remote swap are coming in. If you meant to toss your name in but forgot to please feel free to add your name in. Link is in my signature.

twitter.com/Menolly07
  • courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    Who had the painted buttons? I've been trying to make my own painted buttons with chalkboard paint and I can't tell if they were painted just on paper or on top of mylar...the buttonmaker won't press the button without something on top of the metal so i can't just paint the metal.

• BaghdadBeanBaghdadBean Wrench Wench Scio-Lacomb, ORRegistered User regular
    is buttoneering.org a spirit of PAX's past, or will it be updated for 2012?

is buttoneering.org a spirit of PAX's past, or will it be updated for 2012?

It will be updated for 2012.