As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell Me About Tablets

• SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If I had a TV, I'd have an Apple TV hooked up to it.

Senshi on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If a refresh ever gives the apple tv 1080P support and makes it so you don't have to tinker with hacks to get usb hdd support going this'll probably change, but as of right now the WDTV Live plus does everything the apple tv does, better, for less money

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    If a refresh ever gives the apple tv 1080P support and makes it so you don't have to tinker with hacks to get usb hdd support going this'll probably change, but as of right now the WDTV Live plus does everything the apple tv does, better, for less money

WDTV Live doesn't support AirPlay. If youre already using an iOS device, this is a big deal. And it's only $10 cheaper, not much of a bargain unless you truly need the 1TB hdd. Seems to me like most folks who already have their own media for the living room and want to use that instead of Netflix etc would prefer to use their existing network storage anyway.

1080p support is a must, but due to what we've seen in the iOS 5 beta, I'm 100% certain we'll see it in the next refresh. The question will be whether that comes this fall, or if the iPhone release date is going to push up other product cycles as well.

Monoxide on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well Yes. If you don't own an iOS device, then an Apple TV could seem pretty silly.

But I fail to see what a USB port can accomplish that iTunes Home Sharing cannot...

Jasconius on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Plus the Apple TV is in a constant state of sleep and it wakes up on any input... I'm a nazi about keeping my appliances turned off when I don't use them... PS3 included.

I'm confused by these 2 statements? :?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Djeet wrote: »
    And it's Netflix support is better than the PS3's.

How do they differ? I had assumed the only difference would be UI due to the different in input mechanism (keyb/mouse vs. touchscreen vs. sixaxis), but I only use Netflix on the PS3 so I don't know the differences between how it's implemented on various platforms.

It's faster to load up the Netflix app, from what I remember you have a lot more suggestion screens for finding new movies... and if netflix doesn't have something it's two buttons to hop to the iTunes store to see if they have it for rent

also you don't have to be signed into PSN just to load the damn thing, so that right there is price of admission alone

Plus the Apple TV is in a constant state of sleep and it wakes up on any input... I'm a nazi about keeping my appliances turned off when I don't use them... PS3 included.

From bootup to streaming on Apple TV is about 10 seconds. Where it's easily over a minute for my PS3. And if I sleep the apple TV mid-movie, it will awake where I left off in the movie. Whereas the PS3 just shuts off completely.

I understand that these are all minor nitpicky points for which I would typically make fun of people for caring about, but I am trying to illustrate that for 100 dollars... if you don't already have something that does it, the Apple TV is great just as a pure Netflix box.

That doesn't make AppleTV's Netflix better, especially considering PS3 Netflix does full HD. PS3 also has it's own Sony store, Hulu Plus, & Vudu. I'll take all of those over content from the iTunes store which doesn't have the best HD quality. And if I want I'll boot up the PS3's browser and go to Youtube or similar sites.

Dark Shroud on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does AirVideo support Airplay?

Most of my media is in non-iOS friendly formats so using home sharing would mean converting everything which is not much of an option and partly why I went with a Boxee Box when deciding on a entertainment center device.

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Does AirVideo support Airplay?

Most of my media is in non-iOS friendly formats so using home sharing would mean converting everything which is not much of an option and partly why I went with a Boxee Box when deciding on a entertainment center device.

It does, yeah. As of iOS5, all video apps will support it by default, but developers can always opt-out if their video player shouldn't. I'd expect this to be the case for Hulu Plus and HBO GO because they are tremendous jerks.

Monoxide on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Air Video does the conversions... it's a space hog, but it works out.

I like their system a lot though. It's my favorite app pretty much.

I don't know what this talk is about AppleTV not having "full HD" on Netflix. I've never noticed it at all.

I have a 720p TV, so, I guess it doesn't matter to me anyway.

Jasconius on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would like an apple tv in theory.

But until they support divx streaming and that .mkv standard I would far prefer to continue to stream through my xbox.

Blake T on
    edited July 2011
    other alternative is installing XBMC on it

which I've been tempted to do.

Abracadaniel on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2011
    XBMC on an Apple TV is downright sexy.

It is now my go-to device for media consumption on my television.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    syndalis do you run .mvk over wifi?

Does it stream smoothly?

I am extremely interested in doing it. But lack of 1080p is a bit of a downer but I will keep an eye on it.

I like console streaming. But my xbox takes too long to boot up. And the PS3 is frustrating to use because you need to dig really far into the file structure to access where I store my videos.

Blake T on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    syndalis do you run .mvk over wifi?

Does it stream smoothly?

I am extremely interested in doing it. But lack of 1080p is a bit of a downer but I will keep an eye on it.

I like console streaming. But my xbox takes too long to boot up. And the PS3 is frustrating to use because you need to dig really far into the file structure to access where I store my videos.

Yeah, I run .mkv from my iMac, which is on wifi, with no issues at all.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • BrassBrass Registered User regular
    So right now the top two contenders are the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab 10.1? I'm back in class again and looking to get a tablet for school work/e-reading/surfing/email on the go. I also have been wanting a wacom tablet really badly, will I be able to use either the iPad 2 or the Tab as a drawing pad with any worthwhile results? I really want the Tab because I love Android (and I could probably dualboot with Linux on it for fun) but if the iPad 2's screen is more responsive for writing/drawing then that could be the deal breaker!!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I finally got one of these confounded technological abominations, since with all the various thingies I got a 32gb hp touchpad for $122 and free shipping
    Well two of them, on the off chance that somebody puts android on it and I'm actually able to resell the second one and come out even, otherwise it's a gift for someone

What are good things to get on WebOS? Is there anything? The various lists I find seem to all be like, twitter related, but I'm looking for frivolities - downloading Dungeon Hunter atm, any other games on there that are worth it?

Goddamn app store is so sparse, I can't fathom why HP doesn't port android to the device themselves and then sell the android firmware on their marketplace for like $30 or something

Edit: Dungeon Hunter is just a white screen, with south and impossible to read yellow text. Awesome, $5 well spent there.

override367 on
    Brass wrote:
    So right now the top two contenders are the iPad 2 and the Galaxy Tab 10.1? I'm back in class again and looking to get a tablet for school work/e-reading/surfing/email on the go. I also have been wanting a wacom tablet really badly, will I be able to use either the iPad 2 or the Tab as a drawing pad with any worthwhile results? I really want the Tab because I love Android (and I could probably dualboot with Linux on it for fun) but if the iPad 2's screen is more responsive for writing/drawing then that could be the deal breaker!!

Neither are great for drawing at the moment. Capacitive touchscreens, as the iPad and Tab (and all other consumer tablets) use can only sense touch -- not pressure. Wacom tablets require a combination of the two to simulate the way a pen or brush might work. People are working on accessories for both, but for now you aren't going to get any Wacom like results on Android or iOS.

There are a ton of great drawing apps that can produce excellent work but I can't speak to which are the "best", as its really a matter of preference. I'd suggest checking out both the AppStore and android marketplace to see what seems like a better fit.

• Square PairSquare Pair Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I have a Xoom and the wife has an Ipad 2. They are both comparably the same but i'd give a slight leg up to an ipad 2 for a couple of reasons which may not mean crap to anyone else.
    (1) App store - many more apps for an ipad2 vs Xoom
    (2) reliance on iTunes. I have had an ipod since they first came out and it was a pain to transfer my music to the Xoom. I still use iTunes for buying my music/movies and I always need to take extra steps to get it to my Xoom. It isn't a simple 'sync' process
    (3) I travel a lot for work and the iPad is the only tablet that is "international" operating on a GSM cellular (if you have 3g) network. Xoom is only CDMA so only works on wifi if overseas.
    (4) The iPad2 screen seems to not collect as much finger smudges as the Xoom. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be on my tablet while chunking down chilli cheese fries.

Square Pair on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Monoxide wrote:
    Brass wrote:

Neither are great for drawing at the moment. Capacitive touchscreens, as the iPad and Tab (and all other consumer tablets) use can only sense touch -- not pressure. Wacom tablets require a combination of the two to simulate the way a pen or brush might work. People are working on accessories for both, but for now you aren't going to get any Wacom like results on Android or iOS.

There are a ton of great drawing apps that can produce excellent work but I can't speak to which are the "best", as its really a matter of preference. I'd suggest checking out both the AppStore and android marketplace to see what seems like a better fit.

The closest thing for drawing is the HTC flyer tablet however even the pen used in that doesn't get anywhere near the results a wacom tablet setup does.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Any comments on Blackberry Playbooks (haven't seen any discussion on them at all in thread, though I suppose they might be new-ish)? My sister's asking me for advice (namely whether she'd need 32 GB or 16 GB and has no clue how much data would be eaten up) and I otherwise have no clue regarding tablets.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote:
    Any comments on Blackberry Playbooks (haven't seen any discussion on them at all in thread, though I suppose they might be new-ish)? My sister's asking me for advice (namely whether she'd need 32 GB or 16 GB and has no clue how much data would be eaten up) and I otherwise have no clue regarding tablets.

The playbook is horribly half-baked. It requires a nearby paired blackberry to do email/BBM/etc (which sucks because it puts you on double-use of your battery life to do very mundane tasks), and they are relying upon android support for their app marketplace, because as of right now almost nobody gives a shit about developing for a platform that just feels so unfinished.

When it is working, it works great (its a damn fine browser), but there is enough wrong with the platform right now that unless you are planning on making the playbook part of your business model (software developer), I would wait for the next major revision.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I finally got one of these confounded technological abominations, since with all the various thingies I got a 32gb hp touchpad for $122 and free shipping
    Well two of them, on the off chance that somebody puts android on it and I'm actually able to resell the second one and come out even, otherwise it's a gift for someone

What are good things to get on WebOS? Is there anything? The various lists I find seem to all be like, twitter related, but I'm looking for frivolities - downloading Dungeon Hunter atm, any other games on there that are worth it?

Goddamn app store is so sparse, I can't fathom why HP doesn't port android to the device themselves and then sell the android firmware on their marketplace for like $30 or something

Edit: Dungeon Hunter is just a white screen, with south and impossible to read yellow text. Awesome, $5 well spent there.

Did you install PreWare yet? If not, follow pretty much everything they say in http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html. There's also currently a work around for Hulu (they just blocked all the Touchpads after the firesale) that you can implement yourself or wait for the preware patch to be released. Apps I'm currently using: NPR Reader (free), Sporting News Pro Baseball (free), Angry Birds HD (free), KalemSoft Media Player (older versions available free on developers homepage), Weather Dashboard HD (paid), Robotek HD (free), Kindle BETA (free), and Facebook For Tablets (free). I've also overclocked from 1.1ghz to 1.5 and now am at 1.7.

iguanacus on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    iguanacus wrote:

Did you install PreWare yet? If not, follow pretty much everything they say in http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html. There's also currently a work around for Hulu (they just blocked all the Touchpads after the firesale) that you can implement yourself or wait for the preware patch to be released. Apps I'm currently using: NPR Reader (free), Sporting News Pro Baseball (free), Angry Birds HD (free), KalemSoft Media Player (older versions available free on developers homepage), Weather Dashboard HD (paid), Robotek HD (free), Kindle BETA (free), and Facebook For Tablets (free). I've also overclocked from 1.1ghz to 1.5 and now am at 1.7.

It was a bug with the app catalogue fixable with copying a file from angry birds to whatever game was broken

I'm reasonably happy with this tablet so far, the problem is the lack of apps - but that seems to be being resolved rapidly now that people actually own the things. Also, it looks like the cyanogenmod people are making tremendous progress on android for it, so that's good news. The Hulu patch is a godsend. Overall very, very happy for what I paid (turned out to not be free shipping and more than what my cart said on Hp's site? Weird, whatever still $140 total for each tablet). Something that bugs me is the outright hatred much of the community has for people who don't fall over themselves for WebOS. It's a good OS, but unless something drastically changes, it's essentially dead, it just got a massive jump but from now on it's going to be running on fumes.

Now I just need to sell this other tablet, my old laptop, and my nook, before rent comes due in October and things will be fantastic on all sides, also I need to give someone power of attorney over my debit card

override367 on
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I have a 32 gb Motorola Xoom which I got from woot for $400 which I love but Android tablet development right now is practically non-existent. It suits all the needs you specified above and does them well. I'm satisfied with the purchase as it functions well as an e-reader, web browser, music player, etc. You just won't have the abundance of extra apps that iOS does. I've also noticed that many of the apps from the Android Market simply refuse to run on it, which is very frustrating.

If you are really not looking to pay full retail for an iPad you can get them refurb from apple directly.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?mco=OTY2ODY4NQ
    A 16gb WIFI iPad 1 is only $399.

This may be the option you're looking for, but I would suggest you hold off until later this year as there is speculation of another iPad (iPad HD) being released and this might change their refurbs to the iPad 2.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    New HP Touchpads are going on Ebay for $260-275 for the 32gig version shipped now... What do you think... is that a reasonable price for what you get? Yes I know I'd like to have gotten one for $150 but that ship has sailed.

What I'm really waiting for is the rumored iPad 3 with retina display but since I'm kinda jonesing for a tablet the HP might be an reasonable short term substitute.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Boxee Box now has AirPlay and it is the beeeeeeest

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote:
    New HP Touchpads are going on Ebay for $260-275 for the 32gig version shipped now... What do you think... is that a reasonable price for what you get? Yes I know I'd like to have gotten one for $150 but that ship has sailed.

What I'm really waiting for is the rumored iPad 3 with retina display but since I'm kinda jonesing for a tablet the HP might be an reasonable short term substitute.

I think I just heard that HP is gonna do another run of Touchpads to meet some of the demand, but it'll take a while as the line producing them was shut down.

• badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote:

Well, I'll say one thing, I had a Palm Pre for a long time and the development community is fantastic. The number of free apps developed by the community was really great, as were the bug fixes and how they could unlock hidden or awesome features for your phone by applying patches. While it is a small community (and likely to grow smaller due to the lack of HP support) it's pretty great.

I doubt it'll be a substitute for the iPad 3, but then again, it won't cost you $600.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Yeah I went ahead and bought a 32gb touchpad on Ebay for $265 shipped. I've started reading up on all the stuff I'll want to hack and tweak on it once I get. One really cool thing that tipped the scales over to getting it is that you can run a Ubuntu(and Debian I think) partition via chroot on it and then run any Ubuntu applications that will compile under ARM. That and the potential for Android support in the future make it a pretty cool device for the price.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Guys, I'm staring to feel the itch. Problem being I don't have pocket change for an iPad 2.

I have an Android phone that I'm happy with, which is why I kind of want an iPad for the variety.
    A galaxy tab looks nice and a 7 is a lot cheaper than a 10.1 or iPad.

Best Buy has 16GB white Tab on sale for 280, which is still a little steep for my taste. But it also appears to be my current best bet short of amazing luck on my local CL or knowing a guy.

Any ideas for stores to try, tablets to look at or anything helpful. It feels like it would be a big investment for something that is just convenient more than anything else.

I'll probably be using it for videos/music while traveling, maybe watching netflix in bed with my wife and general couch games and browsing/info.

Edit: Basically what captaink said in the OP...

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    OK guys, I picked up a Galaxy Tab 7" today.

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently it just needed a reset after first power up.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Anyone played with the ASUS eee tablet yet? I had a little time to mess with a return earlier this afternoon at work, and so far it has been the only tablet aside from the ipad which feels right to me. No idea how Android is for tablets though. Or at all, come to that, since I'm still in the stone age of cell phones.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I was able to buy a HP Touchpad in store localy yesterday, its pretty cool. The stuff I really want it for doesn't exist yet apparently, and that is pretty disappointing. Like there's no VNC application for webos, theres some stuff through precentral for it, but it looks like 5 pains in the ass to install and its for the phones. I looked into installing ubuntu on it, and the videos don't show it having very good support either. I am hoping for good android support that wont be impossible to install....

steam_sig.png
  • L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    Anyone played with the ASUS eee tablet yet? I had a little time to mess with a return earlier this afternoon at work, and so far it has been the only tablet aside from the ipad which feels right to me. No idea how Android is for tablets though. Or at all, come to that, since I'm still in the stone age of cell phones.
    Picked one up for the missus and she loves it. What with expecting a baby she really appreciates being able to surf from the comfort of bed/couch. Surfing, online banking, facebooking, mailing... She doesn't read books on it or play games.

It all seems to work except video playback, but that is apparently a Tegra 2 issue. That said it should have been fixed a few firmware updates ago and we're still waiting. the Tube works fine though.
    Wifi is a bit finnicky with not all channels working well.
    Screen is gorgeous.
    It's not been subjected to any abuse so far or been out of the house, so I can't vouch for how it would behave 'on the road'.

At this point I'm not sure what people's expectations are of tablets/smartphones, but it seems 'good enough' for any reasonable use. Batteries aren't going to improve in the next year or two. You don't need a better camera on the tablet per se.
    Games I guess might get better on future tablets, but I'm a pc gamer first, controller gamer second, and sweaty paws on glass definitely somewhere way after all other interfaces.

tldr: my SO likes it fine for internet use.

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    Yeah, when you realise the limitations on them and the actual use cases, tablets suddenly make sense. You couldn't tear my iPad 2 from my cold dead claws now.

We've just got an Apple TV connected to the screen in the bedroom, and streaming straight to it over AirPlay is incredible. Obvious use is films, but also... err... well we actually use it a lot for porn.

• Square PairSquare Pair Registered User regular
    My son has one as it was a little cheaper than an Ipad2 or Xoom. I have a Xoom and from everything I've seen at least in apps, internet, etc the Acer performs just as well. I think it may have an extra connection port than the Xoom but depending on what you want to do with it, the Acer does what the Xoom does.

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Do any cheap $100 pads exist yet? I just want to read manga and surf reddit.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!

I own one and the dock. It's a terrific tablet. They finally got Netflix sorted out so it works fine. Runs things very well. Has an easily accessible MicroSD slot (I would get the 16GB and just get a card). The dock has a regular SD card slot, two USB ports and can charge the tablet, giving you pretty awesome battery life on trips. So far, I've encountered no real problems with it after 2 months.

It's the best piece of electronic equipment I've ever bought.

edited September 2011
    double post

badpoet on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I figure this is as good a place as any to address my dilemma.

My girlfriend wants to buy me an iPad or something similar for my 30th birthday. All I can really see myself using a tablet for is surfing the internet while pooping. It's a gadget that I want but I'm having a tough time trying to find other uses. We have a nook, so reading books on a tablet is pretty much out.

The other issue is that I want the eeePad Transformer to succeed so badly because I firmly believe that the tablet/netbook is the future of laptops or at least that it absolutely should be. However, one of the only other uses I can see is for my girlfriend to be able to watch videos while we're on road trips and every single one of my videos is either bought from the iTunes store or encoded specifically for iTunes/Apple TV2 and I have no idea if we could watch those on an Android tablet.

So really it's a case of iPad2 or Transformer. The price is not an issue.

MAKE MY DECISIONS FOR ME, INTERNET BRO-CHUMS

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705