As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seattle tabletop gaming day...

RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
Time to shake off that post PAX withdrawal/depression... With a Seattle tabletop gaming day! I'd like to get some people together for a day of tabletop gaming, hanging out, and sharing of PAX experiences. The last time spearheaded something like this, we did it in the Sheraton Lobby (where I was staying) and it worked out fine. Console gaming would be nice too, but problamatic in a hotel, because you can't change the inputs on their TV's... Unless a universal remote would work??? Gameworks is also right across the street; and there are many restaurants in the area.

A Saturday would probably be best... and I,d be up for doing this next weekend (labor day weekend) if we get the people. But let's just start by putting down our name, if we could bring any games, and any other contact info you wish to put. So we all can know what we're looking at for people and games. If there is already a thread for this, I understand if someone wishes to move this post there. But I ask that you please not move this to a thread that's about to be closed... Thanks :)

Damian Allen

I could bring Battlestar Galactica, Chrononaughts, Zombies, Zombie Munchkin, and maybe maybe Axix & Allies or Ravenloft (if I buy it)

www.facebook.com/Redwingedblackbird

Redwingedblackbird on

• AkumakeiAkumakei Registered User regular
    I'm in for this! I'd need to know pretty well in advance what Saturday (and Oct 1 is out for me as I'll be taking the LSAT), but if it's late morning to late night, I can usually swing it. Sundays are often better for me though.

I've got a lot of open time this weekend, but I might have to hop in and out to meet students.

I can bring:
    BSG + all expansions
    Nightfall + Martial Law
    7 Wonders
    Dominion + Cornucopia
    Carcassonne
    Ghost Stories (if I have a chance to pick it up)

• emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    I would love this, but Sunday would be preferable (Parking, for one thing, and Saturdays I'm always busy).

• RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It good that you put what days you're available... We may find that Sunday works better after seeing everyone's info. When we did it last time, we met at around 1PM and ended up gaming until dinner. We all went out to eat, then came back and gamed until after midnight... I'd like to get enough people, so we can make it all day. That way, if some people can only join late or early, it still works. It's also about hanging out with other gamers, which is one of the best things about PAX.

• whatatravisty22whatatravisty22 Registered User regular
    I'll be moving to Seattle for grad school in a few weeks (conveniently a few weeks too late for Prime :() I was able to make a few post PaxEast gatherings and would be excited if there is a Prime counterpart.

As of now I'm unsure which days work best for me though I must add I'm partial to watching football on Sundays and might join late or early as previously mentioned.

I could bring Flux, original edition

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    When we did it last time, we met at around 1PM and ended up gaming until dinner. We all went out to eat, then came back and gamed until after midnight...

You could always start on Saturday and end on Sunday. Best of both worlds?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • HataruHataru Registered User new member
    Would be free on a Saturday as well.

• Dan-ODan-O Registered User regular
    I'd love to come, if the timing works out. If the Sheraton doesn't work, it might be possible to arrange a room with Metro Seattle Gamers.

I'd gladly play Carcassonne, Flux, Dominon, Axis & Allies, or Ravenloft. At PAX, I missed a chance to try the Game of Thrones CCG and would be interested in that, too. I can bring Memoir '44, Glory to Rome, and Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Good ideas all...
    LexiconGirl - We definitely could make it an Saturday/Sunday thing... which would give people who work Saturdays plenty of time to still participate.

whatatravisty22 - there are other in between PAX Prime/East gatherings in the Seattle area. In fact, there is usually a specific thread for such things covering a a whole season of 6 month period. But I didn't see the one for right now, which is why I created this thread.

Dan-O - Good idea about the Seattle Metro Gamers, it's always a good idea to have a multiple ideas for venues in mind. The preset tables space there would be awesome as well.

Originally, when I organized this type of gathering after PAX 10, I wanted to make it a full weekend. With not just tabletop gaming, but console, and maybe even a small LAN as well. But that idea was too lofty at that particular time... so we scaled it back to just tabletop gaming. However, I'd still to do a gaming weekend with at least tabletop and console gaming. LAN's are harder to do... and if you want a really good LAN, talk to Big Red here on the forums. The variety of gaming (tabletop, console, LAN, ect... ) is one of the things that makes PAX great. Finding a place to have something where we could do tabletop, console, and especially LAN is difficult. I looked into spaces like conference rooms in the convention centers. Libraries, and hotels, but you can only rent then until 8-10PM... at the latest. A Hotel suite work work, for both tabletop and console. But we would need additional TV's since hotels typically the input function of their TV's, making it impossible to play an external console on them. Noise and the amount of people could be an issue. I also looked into renting a vacation house or condo for a weekend... But if we were to rent a space, then it would have a per person cost, and we'd need definite confirmations from people as well. I would prefer to keep this free, or very low cost. If there was a cost, I want to make sure it would be worth it.

For now, lets stick with the idea of tabletop gaming at the Sheraton Lobby, since it has table space, chairs, is open 24 hours, and is free. Gameworks and several restaurants are within a block as well. I would also probably be staying the night there. The Metro Seattle Gamers might be an alternative as well... so I'll contact them and look look into it. Go ahead and post any ideas for a venue that would accommodate tabletop and console gaming...

I want to head town to Seattle this weekend... and was thinking of doing a meet up for tabletop games at the Sheraton Lobby, and maybe a trip to gameworks. This is not the larger event I have in ming, but I think it would be fun and would help with organizing a larger 2 day event. We could exchange ideas, brainstorm, and figure out what we can or cannot do for a larger event... in person. I'm probably getting Fri, Sat, Sun off... don't know about Monday yet. So who is interested?

• KaneBlaireauKaneBlaireau Registered User regular
    Dan-O wrote:
    I'd love to come, if the timing works out. If the Sheraton doesn't work, it might be possible to arrange a room with Metro Seattle Gamers.

I'd gladly play Carcassonne, Flux, Dominon, Axis & Allies, or Ravenloft. At PAX, I missed a chance to try the Game of Thrones CCG and would be interested in that, too. I can bring Memoir '44, Glory to Rome, and Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Sentinels of the Multiverse was one of THE greatest surprises I have ever had at a PAX. That game is AMAZING and I'm glad I got a copy!

• schattyschatty Registered User regular
    Card Kingdom has a pretty good setup, plus a bar. I would be excited if there could be a semi-regular gaming group that would be able to meet up in between PAXes.

Sounds like another good idea for smaller get togethers. A recurring gaming group would be awesome. It would help in organizing a larger event in the future.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    We do have a seattle gatherings thread too. It kinda got buried due to PAX... perhaps its time for it to be bumped?

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    Card Kingdom's food is pretty bad, though, and they get SUPER SUPER crowded. They only have 2 private rooms which don't fit more than a couple games at 1 table. You also have to drive all the way down frickin 45th/market street, stopping and going the whole way, to get there.

edited September 2011
    We've a couple people interested in doing a meetup Sunday afternoon/evening. I'm thinking the Sheraton lobby since it worked before for this type of small meetup... Which will help build momentum for a larger event. My number is 3606322299. If you don't hear from me by then by tomorrow on a for sure if we're meeting and a time/day shoot me a text.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I like the food at Card Kingdom, but yeah they don't really have enough tables to accommodate a large group of people.

BigRed... Maybe we should start a post PAX meet up thread. Or one for the time from PAX Prime to PAX East?

• That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    A Seattle thread usually comes up a week or two after each PAX usually by BR.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Well there already is such a thread, it's just been buried under all the PAX activity.

E6LkoFK.png

Maybe when the new Seattle thread come out, we can migrate this discussion to that new thread.

Everyone... it looks we're going to have a meetup on Sunday at the Sheraton Lobby for tabletop gaming. Probably start in the afternoon and go into the evening. My number is 3606322299, text me if you have questions. I'll post on here tomorrow confirmation of exact time and place.

Also... It wasmentioned how cool it would be to have a semi-regular gaming group. So I'm thinking of setting up a Facebook group for that. Which may make putting out info, communicating, and referring others easier. Especially, when planning larger meetups. What do you all think?

• BerylliumBeryllium Registered User regular
    Count me in for Everything. :D

edited September 2011
    OK Everyone... We're on for Sunday. As for people... between the those on here and those they can bring... at least 6 or 7 as of now. There's probably 2 more, that can't make it in the afternoon, but can show up in the evening. Plus 3 people on here, and several on Facebook I haven't heard confirmations from yet. That's already enough to play any tabletop game... If you know anyone who might want to join in, invite them. I'm bringing a couple games myself, so we'll definitely have enough games to have a couple going at once, if we get that many people. I figure meeting up at the Sheraton after lunch on Sunday is a good time... say around 1-2PM. That gives us time to game until dinner, then maybe we could grab something to eat as a group, come back and game some more! Hopefully pick up a few more people as the day goes on, especially those who can't make it until the evening. 360-632-2299 if you've got any questions.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • KaneBlaireauKaneBlaireau Registered User regular
    Sounding GREAT so far! I can bring some games as well. Got PLENTY.

edited September 2011
    Also... It wasmentioned how cool it would be to have a semi-regular gaming group. So I'm thinking of setting up a Facebook group for that. Which may make putting out info, communicating, and referring others easier. Especially, when planning larger meetups. What do you all think?

"Yes! A Thousand times Yes!"

If I've got time (have a girl's day out planned tomorrow) I could bake something maybe for Sunday (like an unofficial thank you from the brigade?) What are the Sheraton's rules on bringing in outside food into their lobby?

emimonster on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    For events and whatnot id suggest including the forums as well (re: Seattle gathering thread) since there are a number of us that don't use facebook.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    emimonster wrote:

"Yes! A Thousand times Yes!"

If I've got time (have a girl's day out planned tomorrow) I could bake something maybe for Sunday (like an unofficial thank you from the brigade?) What are the Sheraton's rules on bringing in outside food into their lobby?

I'm not sure what the Sheraton's rules on bringing outside food into the Lobby are... but it's not a movie theater, where they make most of their money from the sale of food and drink. After PAX, we had at least 10 Pizza's in the Lobby. So I don't think they would object so long as we don't create a mess, and don't create problems for anyone else. Just to be sure... we'll give a cookies to the front desk manager first, lol.

BigRed wrote:
    For events and whatnot id suggest including the forums as well (re: Seattle gathering thread) since there are a number of us that don't use facebook.

I don't want to move discussions away from the forums. I'm thinking of a FB page in addition to the forums. There are probably far more people on facebook then all the other major social networking sites combined... So adding a page there would give us access to far more people. There's surely many gamers out there who are not on the forums, but would still be interested in participating in meetups & events. A FB group page would be a good place to easily refer people to, when recruiting others, so to speak. Almost like a business card. Somewhere they can go and get information about the group, events, ect... all in one place. A link from the FB page to the discussion thread here would make it very easy for people outside the forums to find the thread and possibly join in.

I created a FB group page, and event page for Sunday. The link to the group is http://www.facebook.com/groups/187747611293547/. The event page is posted on the wall... Feel free to send it out to anyone who might be interested. I linked this thread in the group document, and stated that the Forums are our primary site of communication. So hopefully, it will get interested parties outside the forums to join and participate here. Feel free to check it out... any suggestions on how it can be improved would be welcome :)

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I let this thread ride on its own this week, but we do already have a Seattle Gatherings Thread. In the interest of tidiness, we would like to keep all discussion of Seattle-based gatherings organized within that thread as per our standing "One gatherings thread per location" policy. Thank you.

E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.