As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ambassador Fight] Boognish dominated Yoshi! Now NES Open Tournament Golf LOW scores!

mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing....Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
ambassadorfight.png

Each week we'll compete in one of the 10 free NES games available to everyone who purchased their 3DS and connected to the eShop on or before August 11. We are called Ambassadors, and we are here to fight. Though the primary motivation for this is the fact that most current 3DS owners have these games and will be able to compete, you don't have to play on your 3DS. If you own the original NES version or the Virtual Console version, you can play too!

Congrats to Boognish for dominating both Yoshi scoreboards!

PREVIOUS RESULTS!

BALLOON FIGHT:
Balloon Fight mode:
  1. 835,600 - slash000
  2. 756,850 - mntorankusu
  3. 597,500 - joshofalltrades
  4. 391,450 - Road Block
  5. 330,100 - Professor Snugglesworth
  6. 312,550 - pslong9
  7. 265,650 - MNC Dover
  8. 264,750 - Nickle
  9. 235,000 - Jam Warrior
  10. 190,250 - Peewi
  11. 145,300 - Sangheili91
  12. 115,000 - ArcSyn
  13. 105,250 - yalborap
  14. 103,950 - UncleSporky
  15. 101,150 - anoffday
  16. 80,550 - SightTDW
  17. 72,500 - ChrisPilkington
  18. 66,000 - Deswa
  19. 65,750 - Figgy
  20. 40,700 - Norfair

Balloon Trip mode:
  1. 162,230 - pslong9
  2. 105,490 -Road Block
  3. 99,010 - Nickle
  4. 77,120 - mntorankusu
  5. 33,840 - joshofalltrades
  6. 28,090 - Agentflit
  7. 25,760 - Peewi
  8. 24,570 - Atheraal
  9. 24,440 - Jam Warrior
  10. 22,580 - ultimakay

YOSHI:
A Type mode
  1. 17,335 - Boognish
  2. 12,310 - Billmaan
  3. 8,630 - ChrisPilkington
  4. 6,965 - Road Block
  5. 3,755 - mntorankusu
  6. 3,600 - MNC Dover
  7. 3,295 - The Mantiz
  8. 2,575 - SightTDW
  9. 2,315 - UncleSporky

B Type mode
  1. 21,600 - Boognish
  2. 21,215 - Billmaan
  3. 15,020 - ChrisPilkington
  4. 5,615 - MNC Dover
  5. 3,250 - SightTDW

This week we are playing NES Open Tournament Golf!
This game has some specific rules:
You must select Tournament -> Stroke Play -> 18H Tournament, and then any of the three 18-hole courses (USA, Japan, UK). Post your final score.

You may not play holes individually, or post the combined total of your best scores on each hole. You must play all 18 holes in sequence for your score to be valid.

Post your US Course scores in blue!
Post your Japan Course scores in red!
Post your UK Course scores in green!

And follow this formatting scheme to make it easier on me:

72 - RadicalDude
72 - AwesomeGuy
[color=green]72 - RadicalDude[/color]
[color=brown]72 - AwesomeGuy[/color]

Whenever you post a new score, @ mention me ( @mntorankusu ) in your post so I am notified about it. New scores should be in a new post-- don't edit your old ones, or I might miss them.

This thing works on the honor system. There are no prizes for playing and the only reason to compete is for fun, so hopefully that will deter anyone who would otherwise submit fake scores. Each poster's top score will be listed and ranked, so go ahead and post your score even if it's not very good. Maybe it will motivate you!

mntorankusu on

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    In my short time playing Balloon Fight so far, I've reached a score of 85600 and 10520 in Balloon Trip. The fight score seems kinda low compared to yours.

EDIT: I've already improved my scores. 23610 in trip and 100150 in fight.

Peewi on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Excellent plan! And good motivation to download the games I probably wouldn't otherwise bother with. Will DL and have a shot this weekend.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    This sounds bloody brilliant! As soon as I get home next Wednesday it is ON

steam_sig.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Also, gentlemen, if you own Balloon Fight (or any of the other future AMBASSADOR FIGHT games) in its original form on another platform, you can use that too. Bust out Animal Crossing, the Wii Virtual Console version, your original cartridge, OR EVEN THE E-READER VERSION.

But I'll ask that you restrict your submissions to scores you accomplished on or after August 31, 2011 (that is, any score you have on your 3DS now is fine, even if you got it before I started this thread). If you have some mega amazing score that you got eight years ago on Animal Crossing, that's cool, but it's not really the point of this competition.

also I just got 556,850 on Balloon Fight

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I cannot wait until we get to Wrecking Crew week. I wish there was an easy way to share custom-designed puzzles with each other via interwebs.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Once I get home, it is on like Donkey Kong.

...Junior.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Also, gentlemen, if you own Balloon Fight (or any of the other future AMBASSADOR FIGHT games) in its original form on another platform, you can use that too. Bust out Animal Crossing, the Wii Virtual Console version, your original cartridge, OR EVEN THE E-READER VERSION.

But I'll ask that you restrict your submissions to scores you accomplished on or after August 31, 2011 (that is, any score you have on your 3DS now is fine, even if you got it before I started this thread). If you have some mega amazing score that you got eight years ago on Animal Crossing, that's cool, but it's not really the point of this competition.

also I just got 556,850 on Balloon Fight

Hmmm, I wonder how compatible my Tingle version is? Probably best not to risk there be any subtle differences in scoring or difficulty :P

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Actually, I meant to specify that by "original form" I meant, not the Tingle version. No Tingle allowed!!

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    time to get on the board while it's still physically possible, then retire forever

balloon trip - 12420 - Ath

edit: hoho 24570 - Ath

Atheraal on
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I might as well throw my score up here. 93650 157050 -Road Block

edit: and balloon trip: 17240 -Road Block

Road Block on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    My score isn't that great, but just to put it on the boards until I can get better.

68,150 - ArcSyn

My first game was 15,000 or something really low like that. Ended on the second stage. This was my second game. Never played balloon fight before.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This is something I can get behind, and should help me to get some enjoyment of the 3DS in its current form.

What's the deadline to post scores?

Spent 30 minutes, and so far my highest current score is 289,850. This was on BF mode.

I bet I could do much better on my next attempt. If the game allowed 1-ups through score thresholds, I know I could do even better.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    This is something I can get behind, and should help me to get some enjoyment of the 3DS in its current form.

What's the deadline to post scores?

Spent 30 minutes, and so far my highest current score is 289,850. This was on BF mode.

I bet I could do much better on my next attempt. If the game allowed 1-ups through score thresholds, I know I could do even better.

I'm going to wait a few days and see what kind of activity the thread gets, before deciding exactly when to end it.

I'm not sure extra lives would help a whole lot, because usually the first life I lose is only a couple of stages away from the last life. Once the difficulty passes your skill, you lose them all very quickly.

edited September 2011
    Not doing much better so far.
    72,150 - ArcSyn

Had a few games end around 30,000. But I'll learn.

I started our own score battle between a friend of mine and my wife as well. He's winning at 89,950.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    65,750 :(

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I could of sworn I was better at this game, but I've got

80550 - SightTDW

for now.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    This is a great idea, but I don't doubt I'll be super terrible. Might hold off until the Wario Ware one.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Balloon Trip: 8260 - ultimakay

I know I can do better then that though.

edit: Ballon Trip: 20300 - ultimakay

I just managed to hit the red ballons when I died.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
    edited September 2011
    Balloon Trip mode 24,440 - Jam Warrior

So near the top yet so far! Not managed to get anywhere near since.
    f2823ba6.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So is there an actual end to this game, or is it an endless loop like with DK?

Also, recommend Yoshi for the next challenge. I have a feeling playing that game for long stretches would prove positively maddening.

Something about Mario's long arms disturbs me greatly.

• slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    My score ain't great either, but it puts me up on the board, I think!

111,200 - slash000, this is P1/A mode.

Never played this game before, it's fun, interesting strategy.

slash000 on
    So is there an actual end to this game, or is it an endless loop like with DK?

Also, recommend Yoshi for the next challenge. I have a feeling playing that game for long stretches would prove positively maddening.

Something about Mario's long arms disturbs me greatly.

Pretty sure Balloon Fight, in both modes, is just an endless loop. You start seeing the same rooms and stuff over and over, just with faster enemies and more lightning.

Yoshi is definitely my pick for the second challenge. If anyone has ideas for what game to do, or some specific rules to make an interesting challenge, chime in!

• NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Sure I'm game.

Nothing much yet, but balloon trip:

14,890 - Nickle

e: and Balloon Fight

102,250 - Nickle

Probably the furthest I've gotten in this game. At least I didn't know that spinner thing from smash brothers was from this game.

And admit it, you started this whole thing just because you got 500,000+ points playing balloon fight, didn't you? :P

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I might get in on this.

I hope I can still play DK Jr., I was really good at it back in the day! I had Donkey Kong Classics that included both but Jr. was my favorite. I mastered the crappy physics of that springboard in level 2.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    Oh man, I used to kick ass at the Game Boy Mario and Yoshi. Shame the high scores never saved, I'd just dig out that.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    Nickle wrote:
    And admit it, you started this whole thing just because you got 500,000+ points playing balloon fight, didn't you? :P

Haha, I didn't get 500k until after I started it. My starting score was 250k. I didn't expect to have the highest score, either! I did play an awful lot of Balloon Fight in Animal Crossing, so I guess I'm better at it than I thought.

I will not do this well on the other games, I assure you.

Also, everybody, if you edit your posts with your scores I won't know to check them. Make a new post when you get a new score, please (especially if your post isn't the newest one)

Also, everybody, if you edit your posts with your scores I won't know to check them. Make a new post when you get a new score, please (especially if your post isn't the newest one)

Ah, sorry about that, I figured it was quick enough that I could sneak it in there.

I hit 106,000 in balloon fight just now, after getting the exact same score from my previous post.

So. At least I'm not getting worse.

OK, I upped my score quite a bit:

194,350 - slash000, this is P1/A mode.

Getting the hang of it now.

edited September 2011
    I wanna try something. From now on, when you post a new score, put @mntorankusu in your post, it should notify me whenever you do that.'

Edit: And post Balloon Trip scores in Blue, for clarity. Sorry, still working everything out.

mntorankusu on
    @mntorankusu

OK, I'm done for today; going to break until later so you don't have to constantly update the OP just for me!

I upped my score in P1/A mode:

207,750 - slash000

Lightning balls are ridiculous. They pass through the other guys and take you out in one hit? Ugh.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    @mntorankusu

Well on my first real try at regular P1 mode I got

103,950 - UncleSporky

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    ArcSyn wrote:
    Lightning balls are ridiculous. They pass through the other guys and take you out in one hit? Ugh.

Yeah. They're not too bad at first, because for a long time they only appear when you take too long to finish a stage. But eventually, they start appearing almost immediately. It's crazy.

edited September 2011
    @mntorankusu

181,000 - Nickle

Made it through like the first 3 bonus stages without losing a single balloon, and then it all fell apart.

e: Hopefully this is cool, since I'm still the last post. New Balloon Trip score:

26,170 - Nickle
    2Xh7Gl.jpg
    Not pictured: roughly 1 million lightning bolts

Nickle on
    @mntorankusu

115,000 - ArcSyn

It won't get me very high on the leaderboard, but it's over 100,000 and it's more than my friend's score! :P

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Nickle's the first to bust the default score barrier on Balloon Trip. Nice. All the times I played it in Animal Crossing, I could never do it!

• ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    @mntorankusu

22,580 - ultimakay

Argh so close, I will beat eventually 25,000.

hLeTR.png
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    @mntorankusu

whoo did surprisingly well there.

Balloon trip: 36860-Road Block

Road Block on
    oh, snap.

shit just got real, etc!!