As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 8-31-11: I Don't Miss

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Graphic Violence
Ultimate Hawkeye #1, love it and hate it at the same time, but the hate is not directed at Hickman or Sandoval, who do a good story, and SEAR does something worthwhile:
They've released an airborne virus worldwide that acts like a common cold but actually removes the x-gene from people.

But they create their own serum to make mutant-type people, a few of who mess with Hawkeye:

ultimatehawkeye1d.jpg

ultimatehawkeye1e.jpg

And Justice League #1, Batman makes Green Lantern look like a chump:

justiceleague1a.jpg

justiceleague1b.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Why do you hate Hawkeye, then?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The price for page count. We are missing crucial Hawkeye being cool pages. I hope USM doesn't fall into the same pattern.

Ultimate Hawkeye #1 was also the first full digital comic I bought online, so that was kind of a cool milestone moment.

• Options
    Fair enough

I am okay with page counts when Hickman does clever/dramatic graphic design stuff but Hawkeye didn't have any of that

plus the New Avengers preview made me think it was longer than it actually was

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    My favorite part of Justice League #1

Bruce is talking about Superman's power levels (which I immediately laughed at), and then Hal is so hot-blooded and ready for action the thought of fighting Supes gives him a brightness boner

It felt very... anime.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Uncanny X-Force #14 was fucking amazing. Jerome Opena should draw everything.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    MOTW was today being my birthday and hitting the rewards milestone and getting my comics for free and then getting The Ultimates - Ultimate Collection in the mail.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    My MOTW was finding out my local comic book store had a 90% off sale all superhero TPBs from Marvel and DC.

Picked up Old Man Logan, Nextwave Ult. Collection, the whole run of Alias, Superman Birthright, Hitman Vol. 1, Doomwar, and Immortal Iron fist

Out of those, the only ones I have read are Iron Fist and some of Alias, so I have my Labor Day weekend plans.

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Uncanny X-Force #14 was fucking amazing.

Wasn't it just? Some of Deadpool's lines had me laughing out loud and
    Warren makes a fantastic Apocalypse. He has a Cult Leader like quality when he speaks to his horsemen/servants rather than control through terror.
    X-force is definitely one of my favourite books out right now, bless you Rick Remender.

Although my true moment of the week was of course Locke & Key: Clockworks #2. Not that it was anything above and beyond previous issues or anything, just this series is so consistently exceptional it's just always gonna be my top read for that week.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I've got two moments of the week so far, both Spider-Island related.

First, in ASM 668:
    asm6681.jpg Peter rallies a horde of spider powered civillians to subdue the hordes of fake spider-men

and then in Spider Island Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, kung fu is delivered in spades.
    sishangchi1.jpg

sishangchi2.jpg

@blankspace

if you arent reading the Shang Chi mini, you should be.

the villain appears to be
    Bride of Nine Spiders

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Oh

oh dear

I really should be reading that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote:
    My favorite part of Justice League #1

Bruce is talking about Superman's power levels (which I immediately laughed at), and then Hal is so hot-blooded and ready for action the thought of fighting Supes gives him a brightness boner

It felt very... anime.
    No I'm pretty sure that's a comic book thing.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Oh

oh dear

I really should be reading that

Yeah that looks mega cool

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    My MOTW was finally getting my Ten Buck Commission from Ryan Dunlavey:
    001-1.jpg

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Aha! He tweeted a photo of that recently!

All the photos of sketches that he tweets make me sad that I missed every single opportunity to get a $10 commission from him. On the other hand, I got a sweet M.O.D.O.K. sketch from him at the last NYCC.

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Oh, so he did! And after I was checking his feed all summer to try to catch mine, too :P It was sheer luck that I got in on it. Would love to get a commission from Amanda Connor but that's too expensive for me at the mo.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote:

and then in Spider Island Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, kung fu is delivered in spades.
    sishangchi1.jpg

sishangchi2.jpg

@blankspace

if you arent reading the Shang Chi mini, you should be.

the villain appears to be
    Bride of Nine Spiders

is it called spider island deadly hands of kung fu? because that is awesome. Also Iron fist. Guess I have to start buying comics again.

• Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular
    Yeah Deadly Hands of Kung Fu was definitely my highlight of the week. If that same art team works on a Shang-Chi ongoing I will buy all of it. Every issue.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Is it just me or does it show how much of a quality series the last Iron Fist series was that it produced so many recurring characters out of the Immortal Weapons?

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    I've never really read anything with Shang-Chi or Iron Fist in it, but my god, Deadly Hands of Kung Fu was great. Makes me want to go back and see what I've missed...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Uh, you really should. Iron Fist is one of the best things ever. For serious. Plus they come in a couple of handy omnibi.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    That explains so much of your comics tastes. :)

Seriously, read the first two Immortal Iron Fist trades immediately. Also, there was a Shang-Chi: Master of Kung-Fu B&W one-shot that came out a couple years ago (when they did the same for Daredevil, Ares, Wolverine). If you can find it, get it.

• Options
    ok so everyone has to buy Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. According to the CBR interview with the Marvel EIC:
    He follows up with a more wishful thinking question: "Any chances to see Antony Johnston writing a Silver Sable or Shang Chi series?"

Alonso: Chances are good if the "Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu" mini performs well. We're talking about some possibilities with Antony right now, so get out there and vote with your dollars and make it happen.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    He was referring to preorders, I'm sure.

• Options
    So you have your shop order issues two and three. . .

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Gank wrote:
    Although my true moment of the week was of course Locke & Key: Clockworks #2. Not that it was anything above and beyond previous issues or anything, just this series is so consistently exceptional it's just always gonna be my top read for that week.

On top of everything else that's good about it, I am surprised at how the violence is always just enough to get the job done, and never too much or too little, yet it always makes me want to jump a little.

Like the bit with the school bus in the last issue. Holy crap.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204