As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: This is the old one, go to the new one

• CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    fucking mistake.
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Haha, Wii version is going to be gimped too. What the fuck are they thinking?

They are thinking that the Japanese audience will buy a Wii U to play the best version of DQX

I don't think they are far off

An online RPG is going to be a hard sell, even with the DQ name attached. I'd say with the Wii's huge install base it might have had a chance, but if that's the 'tard version and they're basically betting on the thing moving WiiU's, it's an incredibly risky strategy. There's no proof that the DQ brand is enough to move consoles either. Putting it as a launch title is a huge fucking mistake that may benefit Nintendo but is going to hurt Square-Enix.

I also need to stop following what Square-Enix and Nintendo do. They're my childhood, but they've done nothing but depress the living shit out of me for the last 6 years. From now on I only follow Nihon Falcom news.

CygnusZ on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Will probably buy both versions if there is no monthly fee. Will not if there is one.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    Will probably buy both versions if there is no monthly fee. Will not if there is one.
    Subscription fees for MMOs is so last decade. Now, it's all about freemium and microtransactions. Did you hear that Star Trek Online is switching to free-to-play sometime this year?

Of course, this probably means DQX will have a subscription to it. :P

Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    If they touch up that battle system into something that doesn't look so, well, horrible, I'll be set. I'm sold on most everything else. They've got plenty of time to get to work, and plenty of ass covering to get through the backlash. I suspect we'll see a quality product at the end of this just yet.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    CygnusZ wrote:
    fucking mistake.
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Haha, Wii version is going to be gimped too. What the fuck are they thinking?

They are thinking that the Japanese audience will buy a Wii U to play the best version of DQX

I don't think they are far off

An online RPG is going to be a hard sell, even with the DQ name attached. I'd say with the Wii's huge install base it might have had a chance, but if that's the 'tard version and they're basically betting on the thing moving WiiU's, it's an incredibly risky strategy. There's no proof that the DQ brand is enough to move consoles either. Putting it as a launch title is a huge fucking mistake that may benefit Nintendo but is going to hurt Square-Enix.

I also need to stop following what Square-Enix and Nintendo do. They're my childhood, but they've done nothing but depress the living shit out of me for the last 6 years. From now on I only follow Nihon Falcom news.

Actually this is a super smart move by Nintendo/Square. The Wii is basically done. Zelda is the last hurrah. If there is one brand with enough clout behind it to sell consoles in Japan, it's Dragon Quest...not sure why you'd think otherwise.

Also, while I agree with you about Square, you can speak for yourself about Nintendo, as they have been mostly awesome this generation.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    DQX would be a WiiU system seller for me, just sayin'.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    I think the key word is they've shit on Cygnus, but perhaps not yourself Brainiac.

I do enjoy the idea of being able to transfer saves from one version to the next. And by-the-by, I'm all for this idea. Releasing two versions will let people pick the one they prefer. I myself will stick with the Wii U version (which may be the only one they bring to the states; who can say), and I'm willing to be a lot will follow in my footsteps.

There also appears to be a Beta on the horizon and a 3DS app that will let you swap your character data via Streetpass.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    DQX seems like a genius move for WiiU for me. I'm not sure what all the anger is about though... were people expecting it to jump to PS3 or something?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    Yea, many people on Gaf seemed to assume that it would end up on the PS360, even though Square said time and time again that it was Nintendo exclusive. Who knows though, maybe it'll end up being ported over later.

But yea, them bringing it to the WiiU was a genius move.

Also, no offense Cygnus, wasn't trying to squash your opinion.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    I really liked IX and was in a two player playthrough of it before I lost my free time to Xenoblade. X looks good.

edited September 2011
    Dragon Quest doesn't have a track record for selling consoles. I believe it could have moved 4 million on the Wii platform as a single player game, but as a pay-to-play MMORPG-like on a new platform? It'll be lucky to crack a million.
    DQX seems like a genius move for WiiU for me. I'm not sure what all the anger is about though... were people expecting it to jump to PS3 or something?

I think quite a lot of us were hoping that DQX would go back to more of the direction in DQI-VIII rather than continuing with all the grindy OCD elements of DQIX.

CygnusZ on
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Dragon Quest doesn't have a track record for selling consoles. I believe it could have moved 4 million on the Wii platform as a single player game, but as a pay-to-play MMORPG-like on a new platform? It'll be lucky to crack a million.

We'll see when the time comes, but I think your underestimating Dragon Quests power over in Japan. Who knows though, I could be completely off base myself.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    This is going to be an interesting test case in marketing.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    CygnusZ wrote:

We'll see when the time comes, but I think your underestimating Dragon Quests power over in Japan. Who knows though, I could be completely off base myself.

I remember hearing a story way way back, where the mere rumor of a Dragon Quest game coming to the Xbox caused sales to suddenly spike.

Dragon Quest won't sell consoles. In America. In Japan though...

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I wonder if DQX for WiiU was nintendo giving square moneyhats for compelling launch software. Nintendo has seen what happens without that.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How exactly is DQX "gimped", other than the graphics being a bit better on the WiiU?

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    now where's the Pokemon MMORPG we've been waiting for for years, Nintendo

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:
    I wonder if DQX for WiiU was nintendo giving square moneyhats for compelling launch software. Nintendo has seen what happens without that.

Or a Twilight Princess situation where they can probably make more money by doing two versions even if it is backwards compatible simply because people will want to buy a game for their console and not their console's predecessor.

DarkPrimus wrote:
    How exactly is DQX "gimped", other than the graphics being a bit better on the WiiU?

In no way that I have seen. Someone is over-reacting, I think.

steam_sig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Only link I have is in Swedistani, but apparently 68% of people who have Xbox Live Gold buy it via code cards in stores.

No wonder when their online method is a piece of shit that's absolutely Kafkaesque to get rid of.

Holy crap that is a huge fraction buying in store. You would think they'd take that as a sign to do something, but I guess not!

steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's common in New Zealand to do that as well due to the exchange rate. Sometimes it's just much cheaper to buy it from a store than use a credit card - especially as our interest rates aren't great either.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    BY THE SAME COMPANY THAT BROUGHT YOU FINAL FANTASY XIV!

They mess this up and I will destroy them. I go over there riding my silver surf board through the sky and drop Galactus on their bitch ass.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:

People were expecting a high quality single player RPG like Dragon Quest 1-9, not a lowsy MMORPG like Final Fantasy XIV.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    plufim wrote:
    Holy crap that is a huge fraction buying in store. You would think they'd take that as a sign to do something, but I guess not!

They took from it that outside retail outlets are still really important, when the message they should have been taking from it is "interacting with MS's billing process is less pleasant than eating broken glass"

EDIT: Ok yeah the article Echo posted is what I'm referring to

Maddoc on
    plufim wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

In no way that I have seen. Someone is over-reacting, I think.

Better graphics, HDD, WiiU interface and potentially some kind of internet infrastructure.
    So yes, gimped. As in, many people will pass up on getting the Wii version and decide that they'll simply wait it out and buy DQX "someday" when then get a WiiU.

• BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    plufim wrote:

They took from it that outside retail outlets are still really important, when the message they should have been taking from it is "interacting with MS's billing process is less pleasant than eating broken glass"

EDIT: Ok yeah the article Echo posted is what I'm referring to

Also, at least in the UK, it's always always cheaper to buy cards (which are subject to retailer discounts and coupons and the like) than it is to purchase points directly. Some sites like ShopTo will even email you the code on the card directly rather than post it, so it's not even less convenient.

Deus Ex is doing well in the UK, and Driver is in second place. Rest of UK charts here:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-charts-deus-ex-fends-off-driver/084219

http://www.develop-online.net/news/38564/Crytek-battles-crunch-layoffs-and-lawsuits-claims
    Oh, and there is some stuff over whether Crytek abused employees.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-targets-teens-with-new-psp/084231
    SCEE chief Jim Ryan says a sub-£90 PSP will grow the platform’s audience and draw in the younger consumer.

A new-look PSP was unveiled at Gamescom last month. As well as a fresh design, it omits the wi-fi functionality and has a new budget price.

“You will see the audience skew younger,” said Ryan. “At €99/£89 it will make a great Christmas gift. It’s a device to play UMD games. It’s all for the audience. If we are going to take PSP very young – teens and much younger – they are happy to just play the game. If taking wi-fi out is the price to pay, we’re happy to. The €99 price tag is a real barrier that we’ve got under which will help us lift off.”

Sony has been surprised by PSP across Europe this year, with gamers responding well to the budget range of games and a lower price.

“We delivered very well on the Essentials software range,” he added. “Having a catalogue of high quality PSP games for £9.99 gave us a kick-start. It’s very successful across UK, Europe and emerging markets.”The new PSP will also prime a new generation of handheld gamers ahead of the similar-shaped high-end Vita, added Ryan.

“PSone fans upgraded to PS2, and the first adopters of PS3 were PS2 owners. So the form factor might speak to that, but it happens regardless. PlayStation has an army of followers.”

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Crazy.

DQ will sell WiiU's. Online RPGs are the fad du jour in Japan right now. If anything, this move is to get in on that Monster Hunter money that Capcom is making.

Sheep wrote:
    Crazy.

DQ will sell WiiU's. Online RPGs are the fad du jour in Japan right now. If anything, this move is to get in on that Monster Hunter money that Capcom is making.

Hahaha, on what planet? MMORPGs are as unpopular as ever.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Sheep wrote:
    Crazy.

Hahaha, on what planet? MMORPGs are as unpopular as ever.

Among who?

edited September 2011
    The Japanese.

EDIT: Maybe he thinks Monster Hunter is an MMORPG?

CygnusZ on
    Did the PSP Monster Hunter games even have online multiplayer?

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Did the PSP Monster Hunter games even have online multiplayer?

Yes? That's...why they're big.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Gamespot says Monster Hunter Freedom and its sequel only support ad hoc.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Edit: BLARG

Astale on
    edited September 2011
    Edit: God I hate this new forum.

Astale on
    Couscous wrote:
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/38564/Crytek-battles-crunch-layoffs-and-lawsuits-claims
    Oh, and there is some stuff over whether Crytek abused employees.

Not that it sounds like there is a lot of merit to the blog complaints, but jesus is that publication acting biased as all holy hell. "We aren't going to link or discuss the blog, and deleted it when it was posted in the comments section of our site, but here is a handy link to the developer answering questions from it! Which ones? In what context? We're not journalists, go look up what we don't want to tell you yourself thbbt."

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    CygnusZ wrote:
    The Japanese.

EDIT: Maybe he thinks Monster Hunter is an MMORPG?

Do you?

What... what do you think the online component of DQX is, exactly? It's just town hubs. Then you go out in the field and go on quests and there are no other groups around. It's the Monster Hunter formula applied to Dragon Quest.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
This discussion has been closed.