As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where do you think the next PAX should be?

13»

• Options
    squeakyboysqueakyboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    LIECHTENSTEIN!

Pros: For 70k/night you can rent the whole country.

Cons: The entire country is about 33,000 people and only has accommodations for 900.

I can recommend a great bar in Vaduz, and a great place to stay in nearby Feldkirch, Austria.

squeakyboy on
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Personally I think the east and west coast are the best places to have it and they should somehow just make them both bigger.
    (within the US)

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    S2000Gan wrote:
    Personally I think the east and west coast are the best places to have it and they should somehow just make them both bigger.
    (within the US)

Okay, I'm curious; why would it be a bad idea to have a PAX South/PAX Europe/PAX Australia (each of which would reduce pressure on Prime/East due to those who travel a long way to get to PAX)?

• Options
    drale03drale03 Registered User regular
    Austin. I can feel it!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If a PAX is going to be in Europe, I imagine it being in the capitals. London, Paris, Berlin and Madrid come to mind.
    I think that London would be easiest because PA is filled with native English speakers. Although having a bunch of German speaking enforcers would be kind of awesome and scary.

• Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I see the reasoning behind an international PAX... but I question whether the exhibitors would show up. I've worked at big international conventions, and even a modest booth costs a ton to ship and set up overseas. Factor in the epic booths that the big exhibitors have, and the costs would rival the GDP of a small country. Would they spend that? Would they show up with smaller booths? Would they show up at all?

Not to say that the exhibits are the only important thing, but a PAX with a small, quiet expo hall would be weird!

Now those German enforcers... yes, please! :D

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i gotta say, another north american pax is starting to sound more realistic to me. as has been discussed in the 'is pax getting too big?' thread [http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/147984/is-pax-getting-too-big#Item_117], prime has pretty much been pushed to its limits of space expansion in seattle and is unlikely to be relocated since pa is based there, but there's no reason to think prime will do anything but continue to grow. pax east has a nice big space, but still was at around 70,000 attendees in only its second year of existence. a third north american pax might be the only/best way to relieve that pressure and allow pax to grow comfortably.

@adastra makes a really good point about it being expensive and a hassle for exhibitors to travel internationally, plus the language barrier question. is there enough international interest in pax for it to be successful if there was very limited north american participation, both on the attendee and exhibitor ends? that's a genuine question btw, maybe there is, anyone have any further ideas about that?

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    aikoeaikoe Registered User regular
    As much as I want to say "PAX Chicago!" since I live in Ohio, both PAXi are already in the northern part of the US. The south and central areas are sad and lonely. Texas is the logical choice.

As for PAX Europe, there's a LOT to consider. Passports, Visas, travel costs, space rental costs, international commerce regulations. I think it would be interesting, but I also don't think it's particularly feasible. Plus Europe and Japan already have gaming cons. I would say Australia, but Australia is kind of... secluded. How many people would even go?

PAX East 2014: 3-Day Pass [X] | Hotel Room [X] | Transportation [X] | Time Off [X] | Costume [ ]
    NEED TWO ROOMS IN THE WESTIN ON THURSDAY NIGHT! Please PM me!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    There are a large amount of European developers and Euro interest that Pax London would likely be successful, and maybe even larger than Prime or east because of the train system and population densities. Greater London not only has a larger population than Greater Seattle and Greater Boston. It's a three hour train ride from Paris which has an even larger population than london. So a PAX Europe could see 100k people pretty easily if the center they use to hold it is large enough to accommodate that.

zepherin on
  • Options
    OmniscientlyMeOmniscientlyMe Registered User regular
    Well, if they did do PAX Japan, that would be the anvil that breaks the camel's back in getting me to take a trip to Japan.

But in general, I think PAX should stick to English speaking areas, unless PA is available in other languages and I didn't realize it.

• Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    Wasn't there some survey put out asking about the interest of a PAX Euro? At this point wouldn't it be pretty obvious that it's not NA?

• Options
    disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Vancouver! I know its too close to Seattle, but that would make PAX International! How about Toronto?

• Options
    adastra wrote:
    I see the reasoning behind an international PAX... but I question whether the exhibitors would show up.

I'd start by pointing out that Good Old Games is owned by CD Projekt, a Polish company, so there are some trans-atlantic trips already.

More to the point, there are plenty of European game developers/publishers. Off the top of my head, Lionhead Studios, Rare, Rockstar North, Jagex are all in the UK, I'm sure others could find a lot more with a little time. Ubisoft is French, originally. Many of the bigger publishers have European developers.

You would see a definitely different group of companies, but I don't think there's any risk of lacking exhibitors.

• Options
    Vancouver! I know its too close to Seattle, but that would make PAX International! How about Toronto?
    Too close to Boston?

Although Toronto does have a reasonable number of developers there.

• Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I vote for holding the third PAX in Tokyo. The winner of the Omegathon gets an all-expenses-paid trip to Fort Stockton, Texas.

• Options
    Nijhazer wrote:
    I vote for holding the third PAX in Tokyo. The winner of the Omegathon gets an all-expenses-paid trip to Fort Stockton, Texas.
    Worst prize ever

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    PAX Bellevue! We can hog PAX here in the northwest :)

Anyways, I think Japan would be a great idea - lots of developers are there of course, lots of enthusiastic gamers too, and there seems to be far less Asian people coming to the US PAXes than European folks, so they should get one of their own first.

• Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    PAX Secret Volcano Lair

Then it wouldn't be a Secret Lair anymore.

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    savagehart wrote:
    PAX Secret Volcano Lair

Then it wouldn't be a Secret Lair anymore.

Everyone meets at a set time in Seattle, where they're loaded onto a series of blacked out busses, knocked unconscious with sleeping gas, and driven to the secret lair. It's a flawless plan...

• Options
    msaegermsaeger Registered User new member
    I really would like to see the PAX happen in Germany - although we already have the gamescom over here, PAX still wins by far compared to it.

gamescom itself is way too crowded by now, takes place in an awful location and is way too loud, because everyone is having huge stages with loud nonsense happening on it. In addition, there is too much business and marketing stuff going on, which is of no interest to gamers at all and foils any sense of community.

I would describe my first PAX Prime experience somehow like that: gamescom without the boring business stuff, with a little bit of the GDC, plus "Spiel" in Essen (most attended tabletop convention) plus the best BYOC-LAN-Party you ever had plus great concerts.

And that's totally possible here - noone ever thought about that kind of convention concept before. People are getting tired of gamescom, and i really think an alternative to it would be widely accepted.

I'm not sure if it will be possible to carry over the "hype" and the concept of Enforcers as well. But i really think it's worth a try. Important thing is to give it an international appeal, which could be kinda difficult around here but it's certainly possible.

One day a "Willkommen Zuhause!"-Convention taking place in Europe - Nerdcore galore! =)

• Options
    badrewbadrew Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

badrew on
  • Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    LIECHTENSTEIN!

Pros: For 70k/night you can rent the whole country.

Cons: The entire country is about 33,000 people and only has accommodations for 900.

I suppose we just start building a PAX tower of Babel there for the show and attendees alike.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    smaragdos1985smaragdos1985 Registered User new member
    There should definitely be a PAX Australia. I'd make the trip to Sydney if that's what's required, and that is 2000km away (1250mi for those who use a measureing system from the dark ages).