As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX concerts

SrenaebSrenaeb Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
What are your thoughts?

for example:

line ups prior--wrist bands or no? was there enough in-line entertainment?
location--which venue did you like best, if you've been to other ones? What did you like about each?
bands/musicians--no flame wars, but did you attend the concert only to see one in particular, or were you happy to see everyone?
time--they kind of take up an entire evening, including line ups. is that okay?
sound--does anyone else think that the base is turned up way too loud? I'm a cellist, and I'm used to string quartets that sound...quite different. Can anyone else hear MC Frontalot's lyrics?

other thoughts?

Srenaeb on

• ReparadocsReparadocs Registered User regular
    1)I dont know how the wristbands were done in the past, but I feel like lining up is a fair way to do it. The people who wait longer get better seats. I do agree however that the line should be shaded if its that sunny.

2)First Pax, but I really enjoyed the Paramount.

3)This one came as a surprise, but I went to the Saturday Night Concerts to watch JoCo, but for me, Paul and Storm completely stole the show :D

4)Since the concerts are six hours long, I think I can justify waiting in line. And you didnt have to wait in line that long if you didnt want great seats.

5)Frontalots lyrics were WAY too hard to hear. Everyone else I could hear, but the only songs Frontalot sung that I could understand was First World Problems, and the one about being eaten by a Grue.

• SrenaebSrenaeb Registered User regular
    Reparadocs wrote:
    I went to the Saturday Night Concerts to watch JoCo, but for me, Paul and Storm completely stole the show :D

That also describes my first experience with Paul and Storm. They really are very awesome. I've since been to a few Joco/P+S concerts, but I was still very pleasantly surprised to see P+S performing for Acquisitions Inc; it was splendid...I wish all my D&D games had them as bards. =)

• skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    No wrist bands. I think it should be on a first-come-to-theater-first-served basis. Having whoever gets to the convention center earliest in the morning doesn't seem like the most fair way to do it.

Paramount was great, but I didn't stay for that long on Saturday night.

For taking up the whole evening, yes I definitely think that is fine. It is a great way to wind down (well, sort of) after the day.

My one wish is that band lineup order was a bit more clear, and if possible, the length of their sets.

• ReparadocsReparadocs Registered User regular
    skylatron wrote:
    My one wish is that band lineup order was a bit more clear, and if possible, the length of their sets.

Yeah, this would be great.

• ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    As far as wrist bands are concerned, it kind of evens out. You either line up early in the morning to get into the keynote or the queue line to get a wrist band, or you line up extra early before the concert to make sure you get in. Either way, you are probably spending an extra hour and a half in line either in the morning or in the evening.

I have no other input since I didn't go this year :)

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I would just like to point out, as far as lines goes, that we never filled up the Paramount for concerts. We had a capacity of over 3,000 people (about 50% more than Benaroya) for concerts, and we never turned anyone away. This meant that if you wanted to show up right as VGO or P&S were coming on Friday and Saturday nights, you could avoid the line entirely. I'm not saying it'll be the same next year, but it's been a while since we've had that many people around for concerts, and we'd have short overflow lines if we filled up.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    slight tangent: @dyaballikl, do you know what the attendance was for live showing of Acquisitions inc?

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    I thought the Paramount was a great venue, way better than Benaroya. I was close enough to MC Frontalot to hear the lyrics. I'm also disappointed I continued my trend of missing Paul & Storm and JoCo. The lines didn't bother me much but I didn't wait out in the sun very often.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Srenaeb wrote:
    slight tangent: @dyaballikl, do you know what the attendance was for live showing of Acquisitions inc?
    We were pretty much at capacity. It was just about a perfect fit with the seats vs the attendee interest! If I had to put a number to it, I'd say about 2,550, give or take a few dozen.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • riryriry Registered User regular
    I really loved the Paramount as a venue- I'm kind of on the shorter side, so I didn't have any trouble with the seat sizes. (Although it took me until Saturday night to realize that there were more bathrooms on the top floor- a much closer walk to where I was sitting in the 2nd mezzanine.) I had excellent seats throughout, although next year I might consider going for crappier seats and not waiting in line for so long.

Paul and Storm were awesome- I bought Om Nom Nom, then went back to get it signed. (Before the show, all I knew of them was that they were in Da Vinci's Notebook. Which I also loved.)

Was it the base? All I knew was that I couldn't hear any of the lyrics from the MC Frontalot and JoCo sets because the sound balance was kind of off.

I didn't have time for an actual signature, so here's a picture of a cat with a tinfoil hat.
    dyaballikl wrote:
    We were pretty much at capacity. It was just about a perfect fit with the seats vs the attendee interest! If I had to put a number to it, I'd say about 2,550, give or take a few dozen.
    OH hurray! Definitely my favourite activity last year, as well as this year.

Yeah I really really like Paramount as a theatre for the bigger events, and the concerts.

My taller companions didn't like the smallness of the seats either, it seems. But perhaps folding chairs could fix that next year. Some sort of advance warning to taller folk in the programme.

The bass is way too loud in most instances, I think. (for my taste) String instruments require different set up from the average rock pieces. It's really too bad that MC Frontalot's songs are really really difficult to pick out with this much bass.

• Dr. NohDr. Noh Registered User regular
    I wish there were more of a variety. I've been to 5 PAXs now. MC Frontalot, Jonathan Coulton, and Metroid Metal have played every one I've been too. Anamanguchi have only played 1. I honestly have more fun checking out the shows going on at the MAGFest Jam Space than the Friday/Saturday night concerts. How fucking awesome would it be if They Might Be Giants played?

• MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    +1 for TMBG!

Also, as a rabid Goes-to-PAX-for-concerts guy, and as "media", I can't say much about the lines, because if I'm not in the first 10 or so at line up, I will not be able to film at the front of the stage like I want. I can live without the wrist bands. Never really saw the benefit anyway. I just want there to be a clearly stated official line up time and enforced clearing of the line up area before that time period. Was not as bad Saturday as it was Friday, but at least Assassin's Creed pushed the concert line up time to 5:45 or so. Acquisition went in at like 3:45, which is when I was in line Saturday withounly 10 people for like an HOUR... Also, and no disrespect to the Enforcers, but there was ZERO entertainment in the lines beyond pipe cleaners and that one dude with the Power Glove, IMHO. Everything else I just tuned out. They need to mirror what was done at East.

Can I haz more Paramount?

I loved them ALL. Big ups to VGO and Supercommuter for being the big surprises of the shows. Loved the "Lullaby" extravaganza of Paul and Storm, the premier of Je Suis Rick Springfield from JoCo, the antics of Black Lotus in MC Frontalot, ALL of Metroid Metal, and that that EXCITE BIKE band ;). Did I mention Supercommuter? 10th Generation... that's all I have to say.

Sound was PERFECT for me compared to Benaroya. Maybe it was because I was right up front, but Frontalot was clear as crystal. Oh well, we scored the soundboard this year so Community DVD audio will be AWESOME!!

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
    edited September 2011
    Man, if there's anybody who I wanted to hear the concerts perfectly for, it would be the dude who's doing sound for the community DVDs. I couldn't physically attend Saturday's, so I'll be waiting for you guys, @MJPM. Incidentally, where ARE the best seats, sound-wise?

It would be awesome to hear The Sun at PAX. =)

Srenaeb on
  • HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    I must be one of the few who preferred Benaroya. As others have mentioned... the sound was just... off with Mc Frontalot (along with Paul & Storm my favorite of the musicians). Also, the seats seemed smaller, and WHY NO ALCOHOL SALES???

• ArdentbiscuitArdentbiscuit Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This was my first Pax so I found the concerts fun and exciting. They did have wine and beer at the snack bar but I asked one of the people working the snack bar why the main bar/cafe wasn't open and he said that the management of the Paramount felt it wasn't busy enough to justify opening the bar and cafe.

Ardentbiscuit on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Srenaeb wrote:
    Man, if there's anybody who I wanted to hear the concerts perfectly for, it would be the dude who's doing sound for the community DVDs. I couldn't physically attend Saturday's, so I'll be waiting for you guys, @MJPM. Incidentally, where ARE the best seats, sound-wise?

I'm pretty sure you could sit anywhere and it sounds great. The acoustics in the Paramount were amazing, especially during the panels where we sang happy birthday to people.

• emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    Scott and Kris filled the Sheraton at the same time as Sat night concert happened, so I would think that probably lessened the impact, because I know for sure I and the people with me would have gone to the concert if we hadn't been at Scott and Kris. It would also explain why Friday was worse.

In response, I've seen MC Frontalot in an old victorian before and couldn't understand what he's saying. Just got to know the lyrics from being a fan, I guess. Though I think Paramount is specifically bad for only having speakers in the front. I sat in front for keynote and it was too loud, and sat in back for DnD and couldn't hear well at all.

I assumed the theater would fill. I had guessed(??) they did it specifically for that reason: that they'd both be full so instead of maybe getting to see neither you at least get to see the 1 you most want. But cmon, I would happily have gone to the wolfman to watch the livestream if K&S weren't at the same time.
    krisandscottiloveyouyou'rethebestpartofpaxmostfunniesthappyfuntimesawesomeyou'regreat

As for Paramount as a venue, I do believe PAX needs the biggest thing they can get 1st and foremost, and Paramount is pretty much that. I searched and searched for a solitary open seat for DnD and managed to find one, and there were others still searching after it started. I'd say capacity was pretty much as met as it can be without preselling assigned seats.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    The Paramount is gorgeous, and big, which totally makes up for it being a few blocks away with a sunny line-up.

The sound was pretty distorted for those of us sitting in the seats on the sides of the bottom floor (which were the accessible seats). I assume that's just the acoustics of the Paramount? It was hard to make out lyrics, good thing we already know most of them, right? Worse was the lighting that got in your eyes - the Enforcer nearest to me was wearing sunglasses. AT NIGHT. :D

Also, it's worth noting that those side seats have some crazy no-legroom rows, and watching normal-sized people try to cram themselves into seats with maybe 2-3" of room between the seat and a railing was hilarious. "Why doesn't anyone want these seats? I'm sure I can fit!" Hijinks ensue.

Shade wrote:
    Srenaeb wrote:

I'm pretty sure you could sit anywhere and it sounds great. The acoustics in the Paramount were amazing, especially during the panels where we sang happy birthday to people.

@Srenaeb

Between this year and last at the Benaroya, from what I hear the VIP sections were the best sound wise (lowest balcony row), but the Paramount made that pretty irrelevant since front row was much better than last year (we could hear voices clearly there this time).

Quick preview of our Saturday footage featuring Soundboard/Camera audio mix (for audience cheers) and 2 angles of the 4 cameras we had at the front of the stage (Spoiler: the darker scenes are by some noob called @MJPM. Screw that guy!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6atBmbHcIR8

MJPM wrote:
    Shade wrote:
    Srenaeb wrote:

@Srenaeb

Between this year and last at the Benaroya, from what I hear the VIP sections were the best sound wise (lowest balcony row), but the Paramount made that pretty irrelevant since front row was much better than last year (we could hear voices clearly there this time).
    If I were aiming for the best sound, I'd sit by the guy at the audio mixer. He was about 20 feet down from VIP.

a.k.a. dya
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    I loved the Paramount, at least compared to Benaroya... I've been to last five PAXes (in this corner of the country) and the Paramount is easily the best venue for this stuff. Benaroya is classy and sounds great but the Paramount with the flat floor installed easily beats it. The flat floor definitely makes it for me; it was awkward rocking out in front of a chair in the third row last year. I can't really speak on the sound at the Paramount, except that it seemed a lot weaker in the middle of the pit than on the sides (but that's no wonder given the position of the main speakers on each side of the stage.) (Heck, I even kinda miss having the main stage on the convention floor, but I guess that a 'real' concert venue is better for all concerned especially since WSCC has been maxed-out.)

The only thing that saddens me is the shrinking crowd for the Minibosses. They were the primary reason I started coming to PAX in '06, and they are still the only can't-miss item on my schedule. But each year, the pit seems smaller. Maybe there's fewer of us old-schoolers that revel in NES music relative to the greater whole, but still! Long live the classics!

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • OmniscientlyMeOmniscientlyMe Registered User regular
    The Paramount's superior capacity made it leaps and bounds better than Benaroya.

I liked that fact that there weren't wrist bands this year. It was one of my favorite changes of this PAX. It was annoying to see the wristband economy during the day.

VGO is definitely my favorite group. And I like P+S. Most of the other groups are incomprehensible buckets of noise to me. And I'm starting to think whoever PAX's sound guy is, he's partially deaf when it comes to bass frequencies. Even when I was in the top mez, I was using my ear buds as makeshift earplugs except for when VGO did something not involving the drums. (Or maybe it was the fact that every piece of the drum set had its own mic.) Other instruments and voices got completely overpowered.

• Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    I loooooooooved watching the live feeds of the concerts. Yes, you sort of miss out on audience participation, but by the end of the P&S set, everyone in the room was acting as if the band could hear them anyway, so there was still a great vibe.

For me there were some definite benefits to it. One, my eyes are rather light sensitive, so whenever the house lights come up or shine into the crowd, I have to block or close my eyes to avoid a migraine. I didn't have to worry about this watching the feed.

Also, people mentioned the sound issue. The volume wasn't overwhelming on the feed like it can be in the theater.

Plus, it's in the con itself so it was easy to access food or drink or some other function during the show.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2011
    (Or maybe it was the fact that every piece of the drum set had its own mic.)

That's how you properly mic drums (especiallly to be able to stream them like they did). If there was an issue with them being too loud, it's because the sound guy had their volume too high, not because there were too many mics on the drums.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Dr. NohDr. Noh Registered User regular
    MJPM wrote:
    +1 for TMBG!
    Dr. Noh wrote:
    Anamanguchi have only played 1

More suggestions...

MC Chris
    Bit Shifter
    Glomag
    The Advantage
    Weird Al
    The Black Mages
    Nerf Herder
    Weezer
    Ozma

• 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    The Paramount was definitely a better choice than Benaroya, IMHO. I enjoyed the concerts much more this year.

Also, having seen them three times now (Both Easts and Prime this year) I only want more, more, more of VGO!

• spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    I don't know if it was just because I was up in the balcony(usually the ground floor has better audio) but the sound reverb was a little out of control and the volume was just too much on some of the stuff. I couldn't understand almost any of the lyrics from MC Frontalot and when the Minibosses got going I couldn't distinguish a single guitar from the others(too much reverb) and it was extremely loud... I kinda felt like I was behind a jet engine with strong bass thudding in my chest(which I guess some ppl like).

steam_sig.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Dr. Noh wrote:
    MJPM wrote:
    +1 for TMBG!
    Dr. Noh wrote:
    Anamanguchi have only played 1

More suggestions...

MC Chris
    Bit Shifter
    Glomag
    The Advantage
    Weird Al
    The Black Mages
    Nerf Herder
    Weezer
    Ozma

We need to be realistic, here. At least one of those (Weezer) are an act that could command a $60 ticket price by themselves. I'd love to see TMBG or other, similar acts but I dunno...I just don't see it happening.

Still, I was a sad panda that Anamanaguchi wasn't back this year. I'm also sad that I missed VGO. And yes, I can agree that to some extent we are in a concert rut.

As for suggestions, definitely post the order of who's playing, and length of set. Wristbands? Meh. I can see maybe handing out some number (<1000) in the morning to give people who are at other afternoon events an alternative. But it sounds like the Paramount didn't fill anyway, so this might be entirely unnecessary.

spitfirek wrote:
    I don't know if it was just because I was up in the balcony(usually the ground floor has better audio) but the sound reverb was a little out of control and the volume was just too much on some of the stuff. I couldn't understand almost any of the lyrics from MC Frontalot and when the Minibosses got going I couldn't distinguish a single guitar from the others(too much reverb) and it was extremely loud... I kinda felt like I was behind a jet engine with strong bass thudding in my chest(which I guess some ppl like).
    I didn't spend much time up on the balcony during the concerts, but Frontalot was actually considerably clearer than I've heard him at previous PAXes (didn't see him at Benaroya). As for the volume, it's supposed to be loud, as it is a concert. Protip: if it's too loud (you're not necessarily too old), ask an Enforcer. With the vast array (and I do mean VAST) of things we can help with, ear plugs just might be one of them ;)
    mcdermott wrote:
    Wristbands? Meh. I can see maybe handing out some number (<1000) in the morning to give people who are at other afternoon events an alternative.
    No, those are done.

a.k.a. dya
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Reparadocs wrote:
    skylatron wrote:
    The band lineup for each concert was printed in the program book, in order. What suggestions do you have to make it more clear than that?
    The sets have always been 1 hour per band, but that's always flexed some on the night of the show.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    Reparadocs wrote:
    skylatron wrote:
    The band lineup for each concert was printed in the program book, in order. What suggestions do you have to make it more clear than that?
    The sets have always been 1 hour per band, but that's always flexed some on the night of the show.

To go by my video time stamps for this year's Prime concerts, the set lengths were as follows:

VGO - 52:28
    MC Frontalot - 49:30
    Metroid Metal - 45:44
    Minibosses - 1:02:33

Paul and Storm - 1:08:12
    Jonathan Coulton - 1:09:42
    Supercommuter - 41:56

So they really controlled the set lengths this year. You could hear Paul and Storm always checking the clock on their monitors (well Paul anyway), so it seemed more streamlined, schedule wise anyway. And yes, the program as well as the online schedule had every band in the order that they played verbatim. I think this has been true for a while, though Metroid Metal and MC Frontalot did swap order at this past PAX East, which sounded like a last minute thing to accommodate the bands.

Reparadocs wrote:
    skylatron wrote:

State it explicitly? When I see:
    Not only will you have the chance to enjoy the audible pleasures of Paul and Storm, JoCo, and Supercommuter, but the concerts will be kicked off by Round 4 of the Omegathon.

...I don't assume that Supercommuter will actually be the last band to play (usually reserved for more of a "headliner," as discussed in the Suggestions thread). The bands do indeed seem to have been listed in the order they were to play, but nowhere is it stated that this is the case and in this case one might not-unreasonably suspect that it's not the case. In this case, brevity is not your friend. I might suggest "<Dudes> will be opening up, followed by <Guys> with <Fellas> closing out the evening." Or some other variation.

Alternately, in the schedule actually list each band as a seperate "block" on the Grid, with a note to the effect of "<venue> will not be cleared between shows, and all set start times subject to change." This both gives an estimated set length and order of play...remember, not everybody has done this while "PAX" thing before, and many that have haven't bothered with concerts in the past. People don't necessarily know.

Also, I could swear that the bands didn't actually play in the order they were listed in the program either last year or the year before on one of the nights I went, but I could be wrong.

And if, as MJPM mentioned, bands to switch order at the last minute you can put that out via Twitter, printed signs outside the venue (and around the con), etc.

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    TMBG playing at PAX would be insane. Not completely out of the question, since they're doing a tour with JoCo around November, but still - insane. I think the line for that would go around the block multiple times.

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    My favorite moment of the concerts was when like 200 of us wandered off to El Corazon and saw Johnny Nero Action Hero and The Protomen on Friday night.

That was awesome.

Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Arco wrote:
    My favorite moment of the concerts was when like 200 of us wandered off to El Corazon and saw Johnny Nero Action Hero and The Protomen on Friday night.

That was awesome.
    I spent the last few minutes of that night dying in a corner of El Corazon, but that's what I get for being a retarded fanboy and wearing my Megaman costume in there through all three performances.

Best concert ever.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Arco wrote:

That was awesome.

INORITE??

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Arco wrote:

That was awesome.
    I spent the last few minutes of that night dying in a corner of El Corazon, but that's what I get for being a retarded fanboy and wearing my Megaman costume in there through all three performances.

Best concert ever.

If they hadn't shut down the bar so quick after the show, I would have bought all of you a beer for that. That takes guts man

• AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    Just wanna request Machinae Supremacy. I think I've suggested it before, but they deserve it.