As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Metroid Other M - S14 - Always wear your helmet

KlykaKlyka DO you have anySPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
metroid-other-m-jap-box.jpg
Metroid: Other M is an action-adventure video game for the Wii developed by "Project M", a team which consists of staff members from Nintendo, Team Ninja, and D-Rockets. A part of the Metroid series, it features gameplay in both first- and third-person perspectives, and is the first installment of the franchise to feature melee attacks. Other M was released in North America on August 31, 2010, Japan and Australia on September 2, 2010, and in Europe on September 3, 2010.

Impressed with the 2004 action game Ninja Gaiden, series co-creator Yoshio Sakamoto approached Team Ninja to develop Other M, while D-Rockets was brought in to handle the in-game cutscenes. The development team employed a simple control scheme to make the game more intuitive and attractive, and gave significant focus on plot and characterization, with extensive usage of cinematics and voice acting. Chronologically, Other M takes place next-to-last in the Metroid universe. The events of the game take place between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. The story follows bounty hunter Samus Aran, who investigates a derelict space station along with a Galactic Federation platoon, which includes her commanding officer, Adam Malkovich.

Well guys, here it is, my first console LP and what a start it is! Metroid: other M is one of the most polarizing games you can find on the Wii and beyond. A part in the ever beloved Metroid series, many fans were absolutely shocked and angry
about the way this title treated Samus Aran as a character and came to call it "not canon". While the story and presentation of it, especially the voice acting and horrible dialogue, can easily be criticized, the actual gameplay is quite solid.
Team Ninja turned the game into a very fast paced action game and employs some very great camera work to show it all off. There is a lot of love in the game and even if the difficulty is very low, playing it is very enjoyable once you get a good hang of the controls!
But enough talk, let's put on the power suit and hunt some space pirates!

Set 01 - Baby's first Metroid
Set 02 - Authorization authorized
Set 03 - Bee Butt Hive

Set 04 - Deadly slender necks
Set 05 - Walker, Space Ranger
Set 06 - BBQ authorized
Set 07 - Use the boost to get through!
Set 08 - Lawnmower Man
Set 09 - Samus' Bass Fishing
Set 10 - Childhood Trauma
Set 11 - The Baby Conspiracy
Set 12 - Last Authorization Hero
Set 13 - It's MOM's world
Set 14 - Always wear your helmet

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
lTDyp.jpg
Klyka on

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I am referring to Samus as White Debbie until Nintendo retcons this game and makes Samus a normal human being instead of one who acts like the Metroid Hatchling is her own baby that slithered out of her vagina.

AHEM.

I like this game's gameplay, but hate the level structure. I wouldn't mind if a sequel was made with improvements upon the gameplay.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Adam Approved of this LP, correct?

I'll be looking forward to the continuing adventures of Sheamus Aran and her battle against having no emotions other than "Baby".

M A G I K A Z A M
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Man, it's even worse than I imagined.

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    I only ever heard good things about this game... but I guess I didn't hang out in the Other-M thread after I didn't pick it up on release... so... your telling of the tale will be my experience with the story. Yay?

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Man, Klyka, I hope you remember where to look during the investigation sequences, or that's going to be hella frustrating for you.

Thing that annoyed me most about this game is it somewhat undermines some story elements of Metroid Fusion.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I had been reliving the tragic moments of my :zzz:

• DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Enough has been said about the story, dialogue, characterization, voice acting, and the fact that the game really needs a "number of times 'Baby' is said per minute" counter, but I didn't really like what they did with the gameplay either. I understand what they were trying to do with the controls, make it so they could get away with just using the wiimote, but it did just make things more cumbersome than it needed to be. That, and the combat is WAY too reliant on "lol dodge counterattack."

Yeah Freud would have a field day with the dialog.

I love the idea of combining the 2d platforming with Prime's gunslinging. There are some fights that are just amazing and some that are bad. I don't even mind pointing the remote to do FPSing in the middle of the chaos.

The level design I hate. Wall humping, bouncing around like a douche because you can't find where you're supposed to be going, ugh. My dream game would be for Retro to build upon everything Team Ninja did, because the current mix of 2d Metroid and Prime is a fantastic idea executed meh-ly, and I want to see it done right.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    OMFG, is the game dialogue really this bad? Is this a freaking fan-made dub or something? Cause...this shit is awful....I can't believe this is a Metroid game.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Adus wrote:
    Man, it's even worse than I imagined.

Your avatar is perfect for this.

s7Imn5J.png
    OMFG, is the game dialogue really this bad? Is this a freaking fan-made dub or something? Cause...this shit is awful....I can't believe this is a Metroid game.

Stop talking Samus White Debbie, just stop talking.

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular

"NOO THIS IS HOW METROID IS SUPPOSED TO BE!!!! YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND MY GENIUS AND HOW MUCH OF A POSITIVE FEMALE CHARACTER SAMUS IS IN MY BRILLIANT GAME!" - Yoshio Sakamoto

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    I love that the tutorial is an empty square room. It's like they looked at the Primes' awesome intros and decided, fuck it, not even worth trying to top that.

The fact that she won't use missiles because a former superior officer didn't specifically say she could is kind of hilarious to me. Is this supposed to be the same woman who blows up planets on a weekly basis?

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mars wrote:
    I love that the tutorial is an empty square room. It's like they looked at the Primes' awesome intros and decided, fuck it, not even worth trying to top that.

The fact that she won't use missiles because a former superior officer didn't specifically say she could is kind of hilarious to me. Is this supposed to be the same woman who blows up planets on a weekly basis?

Oh, it gets better.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Mars wrote:

Well, it kinda sorta makes sense insofar that she's an outsider, a word he so obviously used, butting in on an official Federation investigation and she has no interest in fighting these guys, so she just does as she's told.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    "They took my Metroid, Chah-lee!"

edit: Totally forgot that this game takes place after the Primes and after Super Metroid, therefore making Samus' (or Sheamus') portrayal completely inexcusable.

double edit: Jesus christ. Started watching it. I'm glad they didn't bother to get Jennifer Hale to go down with this ship.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    There are only two video sequences towards the end of the game that really bothered me (those who completed the game will probably know which I'm referring to), and I usually can't stand animu, but the gameplay is good in my opinion (although too linear for Metroid). I certainly enjoyed it well enough to 100% Other M. :)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Mars wrote:

Oh, it gets better.

Oh my god, Ridley NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *breaks down crying*

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    yeah that was one of the really bad video sequences

the other one is, of course, the story ending (damn you, Japan)

It's a real shame that the story stuff was so thoroughly awful because it's a really fun game to play. Could use a few tweaks here and there, but the core is solid and I would like more of that.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    My original plan was to edit and re-cut all the story stuff and make it more of a "proper Metroid" game (while deleting all the stupid shit) but Helloween has urged me to play the game with all the glorious story bullshit intact :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Yeah, well, the story is there so you shouldn't ignore it. Things don't magically improve if you pretend the bad bits are gone.

I think I could have done quite a lot with some clever editing/cutting.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Good sir, I dare suggest that you are missing the point.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Yeah, well, the story is there so you shouldn't ignore it. Things don't magically improve if you pretend the bad bits are gone.

What? Sure they do. This game would have been immensely better without the cutscenes. That said, I don't want to watch a let's play of this without klyka's quips.

LxX6eco.jpg
    The point. It was called that because it contained the content of the speakers sentence.
    To me, it sounded like it was specifically missing me.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Use your plasma beam!

SyphonBlue wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

What? Sure they do. This game would have been immensely better without the cutscenes.

Yes, it would have been better, but the cutscenes are there and pretending they're not doesn't accomplish anything.

reVerse wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

What? Sure they do. This game would have been immensely better without the cutscenes.

Yes, it would have been better, but the cutscenes are there and pretending they're not doesn't accomplish anything.

It accomplishes a better game :P

LxX6eco.jpg
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

It accomplishes a better game :P

No, it doesn't, you're just deceiving yourself. The game is still there, as it is.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Christ, the first few minutes and it's already so awkward how she says, "The baby."

Edit - The narrative of this game is worst than I thought it would be.

Henroid on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I also like how they make note of the "special" distress signal (so they could shoehorn yet another instance of the word Baby), because as we all know regular SOS signals are so easy to ignore.

Dartboy wrote:
    I also like how they make note of the "special" distress signal (so they could shoehorn yet another instance of the word Baby), because as we all know regular SOS signals are so easy to ignore.

Her exposition is just mind-boggling. There's two things wrong with it - first, the voice actor is doing a shit job with it, and her voice is too soft anyway. Second, the translation probably didn't do any wonders for anything. In my head when I hear her speaking, I'm re-writing it in my head. When she says "baby" I think, "Would make more sense for her to refer to it as an 'infant,' but whatever."

But then she gets into the whole, "I'LL NEVER SEE IT AGAIN," and I realize even the Japanese script was horrid.

I'm turning to Mass Effect for my badass space commando heroin. FemShep is my new Samus Aran until Nintendo gets its shit together and restores her to a 6'4" assertive woman who just doesn't give a FUCK for military command.

"Retarded cousin", Henroid.
    It all makes sense.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Klyka wrote:
    "Retarded cousin", Henroid.
    It all makes sense.

Oh right, I even posted about that on the video itself on YouTube. About how I have some peace of mind knowing it's not actually Samus, but some imposter.

I'm already loving this LP and I only posted the first set so far :D

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    I busted out laughing at the "Shaemus Arahn, retarded cousin to Samus Aran" part

LxX6eco.jpg
    This video obviously has spoilers (not that I gave a shit, I watched it anyway a while ago), but people should watch it. Though, for the sake of the LP, maybe wait 'til it is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8RTKBFlBI

HAY GUYS DO YOU REMEMBER THE DELETER

CAUSE THE GAME SURE DIDN'T

LxX6eco.jpg
    edited September 2011
    That video is so good. SO GOOD.
    use your plasma beam! use your plasma beam! use your plasma beam! use your plasma beam!

Cantido on