As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows 7 x64 misreporting drive size

matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off'Points to 'on'Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My C: partition is about 50 gigs, but only showing about 8 free.

aCdDo.jpg

When I check the properties of everything in C: though (including hidden files and folders), it shows there's only 17 gigs or so actually on the partition.

3X6Uw.jpg

It's my OS partition, there aren't any programs installed on it aside from the extraneous stuff Photoshop and Pinnacle Studio force me to install there. Anyone know where my missing 23 gigs are?

nibXTE7.png
matt has a problem on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Also, system restore is off, and hibernate is off.

nibXTE7.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Well, now I feel foolish. I had a 16 gig page file on C, because I have 16 gigs of RAM. This is what I get for building a computer with more RAM than I've ever had on all my previous computers combined. This can be locked.

nibXTE7.png
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    16+17 = 33... Aren't you still a ways off from 41?

also what number is reported when you right click the properties of the c: partition instead of doing it to all the stuff within it?

Deusfaux on
    Ok now that I'm not exhausted... you're right. 8+16+17 only gives me 41 gigs. I'm still missing 8 somewhere... Unfortunately I'm at work.

nibXTE7.png
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    You are including hidden files but not system files (for example the paging file will be a system file).

This might account for your missing 8G.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Run WinDirStat. That'll clear everything lickety split.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Run WinDirStat. That'll clear everything lickety split.

I love this program so, so much. I use it on my machine, and it's helpful when I'm looking at the machine of anybody else who cares about their hard drive space, too. Basically, you get a nice, easily understandable view of what's using all that hard drive space (well, I like to tweak the appearance of the boxes from the default, but after that it's easy on the eyes). You can quickly see how much space a folder is taking up, AND see what's taking up the space in that folder. Great for managing your space and getting rid of junk you don't need.

• DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    I still use the original version of Spacemonger...