As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Blood]...what is going on?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Masume wrote:
    Not a bad episode all around! Some good stuff, and Jessie seems to be getting sick of playing mortal, which could be hot. I loved the Terry/Andy stuff, which was hilarious and finally ties up (hopefully) the addiction subplot.
    Now that only leaves us with WTF did they go personally to kill everyone?! I mean, jessie is hot in leather and all, but does this make sense? Why the fuck didn't they just hire some mercs to blow the shit up? Am I missing something, is there a shortage of mercs since the last died?

Also, I love Nan, hopefully she's around for awhile because she is fucking awesome.

It's kind of a "This time it's personal" thing I think. Everyone wants to kill Marnie now for one reason or another, and as vampires their pride is clouding their judgment of what they should do. Or maybe Nan doesn't want to risk other lives(deaths?) and would rather just risk theirs. I thought it was awesome, just the combination of the song with Jess holding a rocket launcher. Beyond words.

Yeah it's silly and I'm sure people laughed but you're going to tell me that this far into the show you're going to start taking things super serious? ...really?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Haha no, of course not, but like other points of the series sometimes things just stick out. I didn't turn my brain off enough I guess, but indeed that scene was awesome, especially with the followup song.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    "I, myself, am a trained first responder!".

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote:
    "I. myself, am a trained first responder!".

hahaha like I said, I love Nan! I hope she gets to stick around, she is much needed black comedy relief.

Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    I just wondered why the vampires were driving in a van. Seems they could just run there.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    ZeroCow wrote:
    I just wondered why the vampires were driving in a van. Seems they could just run there.

For all the C4 and general explodey equipment, of course

edit: also badassness

Daxon on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    New episode tonight. Was pretty good, lots of action and some new developments, but for some reason I thought it was kind of unsatisfying. Season finale preview looks awesome, excited for that episode.

My favorite part about tonight's is probably the effects. The spell shield that Marnie placed last time is used a lot and the parts are awesome. The magic is pretty well used, and the subplot with Sam and Alcide is worth it.

There's a lot of crappy dialog and a lot of good dialog. So it's sort of 50/50 with this one.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So when are they going to make a Sam/Alcide buddy cop spinoff.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    If I were a bad guy in disguise - the absolute LAST THING I would do is let people know who I was UNTIL I had my enemies killed of neutralized; from next weeks promo, doesn't look like some people got the message.

And I'm guessing the spell Marni was chanting at the end facilitated her actions at the end of the episode.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Eric drinking blood from douchebags heart, using the aorta like a straw.

That is all.

Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    I don't get it.
    Vampires: Okay, we gotta kill ourselves to save Sookie, right? Forget about the big WALL OF SUN that we could throw ourselves into, let's just use one of the least effective ways to harm a vampire, in some kind of I-do-you-she-does-me suicide pact of ridiculousness. Sound good?
    *Dramatic Gun Cock*

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Morblitz wrote:
    I don't get it.
    Vampires: Okay, we gotta kill ourselves to save Sookie, right? Forget about the big WALL OF SUN that we could throw ourselves into, let's just use one of the least effective ways to harm a vampire, in some kind of I-do-you-she-does-me suicide pact of ridiculousness. Sound good?
    *Dramatic Gun Cock*
    I understand but I think in situations like that they just go for the images we can make sense of for dramatic effect rather than them running around really fast trying to pick each other up or something while still arguing about whether or not they should do it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Okay so this is the first episode I can honestly say that the Sam plot was more interesting.

what is going on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I was hoping Bill was counting on a heightened emotional response from Sookie with the whole gun execution thing.

Turned out I was wrong.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    a lot of good one liners and some amusing actions like the high five

rest of it was a bit meh

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ugh, this witch stuff isn't over then? I was hoping it would be lead in to something interesting (like whatsit's weird demon form) but no. It's just hammy the witch being evil and stupid. Eww.

The Sam plotline was okay though.

Also, I think they should include mermaids. Swamp mermaids.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't find the battered woman syndrome and the abuse survivor storylines to be very fun. Granted, they seem real, but that's the problem. The show was quirky and fun, I don't know what bug was up Marni's ass, but she was talking like a Lifetime made for tv movie about a rape survivor. That shit is not quirky or fun.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They better put some duct tape over Mr. Medium's mouth or put him in the ground at this rate...

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    DeMoN wrote:
    So when are they going to make a Sam/Alcide buddy cop spinoff.

They could take turns being the canine unit
    I don't find the battered woman syndrome and the abuse survivor storylines to be very fun. Granted, they seem real, but that's the problem. The show was quirky and fun, I don't know what bug was up Marni's ass, but she was talking like a Lifetime made for tv movie about a rape survivor. That shit is not quirky or fun.

Is she? I thought Marni was just a bitch because people don't respect her or think much of her?

override367 on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Is she? I thought Marni was just a bitch because people don't respect her or think much of her?

Yeah, Marnie was never abused to my knowledge. She was just a doormat and believed she got no respect.

Turns out that shy people can be douchebags, too.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    I was hoping Bill was counting on a heightened emotional response from Sookie with the whole gun execution thing.

Turned out I was wrong.

That's what I was counting on too. I think that's what Eric and Bill were counting on as well until the plan went south.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Son of a fucking bitch! Seriously, Sam?!?
    I don't need to hide behind this gun.
    PIMkb.png
    No shifting eigher.
    ANIVI.gif

Fuck you, Sam.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Sam Merlott: Too bad assed for super powers.

Re: Andy's thing
    Was that the evil-fairy queen we saw in Ep 1? I don't remember her name/face.

• Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote:
    They better put some duct tape over Mr. Medium's mouth or put him in the ground at this rate...

Seriously. Lafeyette's "gift" is probably the worst supernatural power on the show. He can just get his body jacked by anyone.

• Options

Sam may be the worst shapeshifter in the history of entertainment. I'd take the Wonder Twin brother over him.

Regarding your spoiler, I don't think so.
    Isn't that who Eric ate?

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote:

Sam may be the worst shapeshifter in the history of entertainment. I'd take the Wonder Twin brother over him.

Regarding your spoiler, I don't think so.
    Isn't that who Eric ate?
    No, that was Sookie's fairy godmother, not the one who chased her out of Feytown. That one was talking about enslaving humans or something. I'm going to rewatch it tonight.

• Options
    Shaggy wrote:
    Xeddicus wrote:

Seriously. Lafeyette's "gift" is probably the worst supernatural power on the show. He can just get his body jacked by anyone.

I think controlling the spirits is part of that gift, he just doesn't know how yet.
    As evidenced by Marnie's control over... drawing a blank. Lady Ghosterson.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Man. They seriously should have ended the season on last nights episode. The only thing next week is going to do is set up next season most likely. And I'm not terribly looking forward to another season after this one.

• Options
    Namrok wrote:
    Man. They seriously should have ended the season on last nights episode. The only thing next week is going to do is set up next season most likely. And I'm not terribly looking forward to another season after this one.

That's typically how they do things. Wrap up most of this season's stuff in the penultimate episode and then set up new season in the finale. Although from the preview it looks like there might be more to this season's finale than in past seasons.

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote:
    Namrok wrote:

That's typically how they do things. Wrap up most of this season's stuff in the penultimate episode and then set up new season in the finale. Although from the preview it looks like there might be more to this season's finale than in past seasons.

It's actually a legitimate literary construction, rising action leading to a climax and then falling action leadintg to the epilogue. Given that these are loosely based on books, it makes perfect sense.

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote:
    Namrok wrote:

It's actually a legitimate literary construction, rising action leading to a climax and then falling action leadintg to the epilogue. Given that these are loosely based on books, it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, I wasn't levying a criticism, but pointing out that it's S.O.P. for the series.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Well then, on a side note, I'm getting a little bored of Sookie waltzing into any situation and just going "I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm pretty and blonde and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...".
    The scene where all of Marnie's long time friends fail at talking her down, but somehow Sookie does was just obscene.

Namrok on
  • Options
    Namrok wrote:
    Well then, on a side note, I'm getting a little bored of Sookie waltzing into any situation and just going "I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm pretty and blonde and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...".
    The scene where all of Marnie's long time friends fail at talking her down, but somehow Sookie does was just obscene.

Well, to be fair, that's not really what happened. In the moment everyone might have thought that, but it doesn't really count unless you consider...
    demanding a double suicide as being "talked down"

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    True Blood's Effects Budget: Not infinite

• Options

Honestly, it's perfectly in character for each of them to settle it "like men."

• Options
    edited September 2011

Honestly, it's perfectly in character for each of them to settle it "like men."

I thought it played well against him using his powers to amuse a child.

- A little girl wants to hug a bunny.
    Suggested Power: BUNNY!

- Some bitch named Marcus wants a piece.
    Suggested Power: N/A

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited September 2011

Honestly, it's perfectly fucking retarded for a shapeshifter and werewolf to settle it "like men."

FTFY

It's only "in character" because Sam's character is enragingly bad at being a shifter.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    TheCanMan wrote:

Honestly, it's perfectly fucking retarded for a shapeshifter and werewolf to settle it "like men."

FTFY

It's only "in character" because Sam's character is enragingly bad at being a shifter.

It makes sense for Sam, I think. He raised himself as a (hu)man, so he's inclined to handle his business like a man. Is it the best way? No, but it's how he do.

Marcus: Hubris, or maybe he thinks Shifters fight the way you want them to, and didn't dare break the 'no-shifting' rule lest Sam turn into a god damned purple dragon or something.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    Here we go again. They are men first, shifter/werewolf second. They use their abilities to get some release, and have normal lives as men, so settling it like so, is par for the course.

I am not at all surprised by the concept that they settled it with fists rather than tooth or claw. They are not wolves or other animals and thusly, their chosen form of combat is a traditional one, especially as they are both products of human society, where settling it like men in this situation could be considered apropos.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    and they're fighting over a woman right? that is certainly an interest that falls more on their 'men' side than shifter side

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch