As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mark Waid back on the Flash

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ugh

UUUGGGGHHH
    I don't mind them resurrecting Wally. I love Wally

But having Bart savagely beat to death by the Rogues?

UUUUUGGGGH

Sars_Boy on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Ugh

UUUGGGGHHH

UUUUUGGGGH

I think this is the first time we've ever had the exact same reaction on something.

Furu on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ugh

UUUGGGGHHH

UUUUUGGGGH

Shut up you. This is deep story telling that will have extreme consequences for years to come.

Also, remember to buy Amazons Attack #4, on sale soon. You wouldn't want to miss the death of Artemis, a deep story that will have extreme consequences for years to come would you? Oh, Countdown too. I think they're whacking some of the Power Company over there. Skyrocket's supposed to get shot on the steps of a courthouse I think.

Munch on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So are they going to write the Rogues story they'd originally intended to do, but simply taking out the part where Bart manages to triumph against all odds?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Ugh

UUUGGGGHHH

UUUUUGGGGH

Shut up you. This is deep story telling that will have extreme consequences for years to come.

Also, remember to buy Amazons Attack #4, on sale soon. You wouldn't want to miss the death of Artemis, a deep story that will have extreme consequences for years to come would you? Oh, Countdown too. I think they're whacking some of the Power Company over there. Skyrocket's supposed to get shot on the steps of a courthouse I think.

Munch should we get Geebs here now or wait till later?

Shit.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited June 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Munch should we get Geebs here now or wait till later?

Shit.

Bad Karma I take my hobbies very seriously, and I do not care for your implications that I do not.

Not at all sir.

:rotate:

Munch on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    God, Munch, stop being such a drama queen all the goddamn time.

DJ Eebs on
  • FolkFolk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What's so bad about a hero being killed by the people that they actively try and stop?

Folk on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When he goes out in a fairly cheap fashion?

Wildcat on
    edited June 2007
    God, Munch, stop being such a drama queen all the goddamn time.

hurfdurfti7.jpg
    Folk wrote:
    What's so bad about a hero being killed by the people that they actively try and stop?

Nothing really. I just think they should be used sparingly. It seems like lately in the DCU you'd be tripping over the corpses of superheroes. This makes A) the hero and B) the metahuman community at large look staggeringly incompetent or unlucky. It seems like lately every solicitation is built on the death of someone. Countdown's already disposed of two characters that are decades old, Birds of Prey is promising the death of a New God, JLA/JSA's crossover will likely end with a Legionaire dead, 52 had six of its protagonists die (two came back at least), and so on and so forth. I'd just like to see an engaging, well-written and entertaining story that doesn't rely on a character dying to cause some emotional reaction. I know it can be done. I've got Johns' entire run of Flash and he seemed to do okay. Morrison's JLA got along fine without villains playign whack-a-mole with the heroes.

It's just an ugly trend in major event stories that I personally dislike.

Munch on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, lots of info for the casual reader to get.

I just started comic books again with Flash #1 a while back so I don't know nearly as much as you all. From what it sounds the new old Flash series will be better, so I'm glad that is happening. Any Flash is good Flash for me, though

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    What does the Flash Family Tree look like these days?

It was something crazy, right?

Something like:

Iris West was born in the far future and sent into the near present.
    Iris West is adopted by a family and becomes the "aunt" of Wally West.
    Iris West is killed, but her essence is revived in the far future.
    Barry Allen and Iris West finally get together in the far future.
    Barry and Iris give birth to the Tornado Twins in the far future.

Far future Meloni Thawne has relations with a time-travelling Captain Boomerang I and has Captain Boomerang II
    Captain Boomerangs I and II are sent back into the near present.

Far future Meloni Thawne has relations with Tornado Twin MALE and has Bart Allen (Impulse)
    Bart Allen is sent back into the near past.

Bart Allen is cloned in the far future to create Inertia.
    Inertia comes back to the near past.

Umm...

Squashua on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    What does the Flash Family Tree look like these days?

It was something crazy, right?

Something like:

Iris West was born in the far future and sent into the near present.
    Iris West is adopted by a family and becomes the "aunt" of Wally West.
    Iris West is killed, but her essence is revived in the far future.
    Barry Allen and Iris West finally get together in the far future.
    Barry and Iris give birth to the Tornado Twins in the far future.

Far future Meloni Thawne has relations with a time-travelling Captain Boomerang I and has Captain Boomerang II
    Captain Boomerangs I and II are sent back into the near present.

Far future Meloni Thawne has relations with Tornado Twin MALE and has Bart Allen (Impulse)
    Bart Allen is sent back into the near past.

Bart Allen is cloned in the far future to create Inertia.
    Inertia comes back to the near past.

Umm...

Oh dear, I've gone crosseyed....

LockeCole on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I would like to see that actually drawn in the form of a tree.

DMAC on
    edited June 2007
    Found one, but it's missing Captain Boomerang I and II from it.

I found a blog that mentions Wizard did one that included Captain Boomerang.

Squashua on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Have any stories been done that talk about Captain Boomerang II and Bart being half-brothers?

Garlic Bread on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow. What a crazy day for Flash fans.
    Bart's overall story is just devastatingly tragic now. He died saving people, but he overall failed as the new successor to The Flash in the worst way.

I think I have to believe everything on DC covers now. I can never say, "Don't believe the cover, it's just a red herring" anymore.

Lux on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I took a look at a scan or two from JLA #10. Is it just me or did Wally look a bit unhappy with being back home? Think he had an idea on what happened with Bart before he got pulled home? And what happened with the Speed Force?

Owenashi on
  • OtherOther Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh god fucking damn it. I just realised I was 8 when when Bart first appeared and maybe 9/10 when I started reading Impulse. I did not need to figure that out today, of all the days I could've.

Other on
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Man, fuck that noise
    At least they didn't bring back Barry.

And Bart's from the future so it's not like they can't get him again

Umm, they did bring back
    Barry. That's not B5's reflection in the tip of Karate Kid's lightning rod. There is a reason his rod is so significant. The purpose of the whole trip was to capture Barry Allen and bring him to the future for some unknown reason. Wally West & company coming back was a side-effect.

The only story that's been done about Bart/Boomer being half-brothers was the story that showed Captain Boomerang getting trapped in the far future and being "rescued" by Melonie "I am a complete whore AND the President's daughter!" Thawne, which ended on the note that Captain Boomerang will eventually make it back to the past, but doesn't explicitly show that happening.

It's never directly discussed in the context of any story since, but I'm sure it'll get addressed now that Mark Waid is back on The Flash. He's good with juggling all that.

Squashua on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    I can't wait until the Rogues see Wally and collectively shit their pants

Garlic Bread on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

That will be glorious.

Mai-Kero on
    edited June 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

That will be glorious.

Pied Piper will poop a hamster.

Squashua on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

That will be glorious.

And then make it spy on people for him.

JoeUser on
    edited June 2007
    JoeUser wrote: »

That will be glorious.

And then make it spy on people for him.

*sniff, sniff*

"What is that?"

Squashua on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "Oh, Piper- I'm so sorry. I ate your chocolate hamster."

Tach on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So that's what JLA#10 was about? I didn't get it at all.

Also,
    goddamnit! I really liked Bart as the Flash. And if I can't have Bart, I damn well want Barry Allen back. Crap.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    So that's what JLA#10 was about? I didn't get it at all.

Also,
    goddamnit! I really liked Bart as the Flash. And if I can't have Bart, I damn well want Barry Allen back. Crap.
    JLA 10 was the conclusion to the lightning saga. Heroes from the Legion of Superheroes or whatever it's called traveled back in time to do something, no one knows what exactly, there was a lot of misdirection. In a previous Legion arc, Lightning Lad had died. To resurect him, they held lightning rods and using some future technology shit brought him back to life by sacrificing a random member. This time, instead of bringing someone back, they freed Wally + family from the speed force and trapped someone inside a lightning rod, which is either Barry or Bart. Most likely Barry.

Also, Wally is awesome.

Mai-Kero on
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I read the whole Lightning Saga, it just made no damn sense to me at all. Thanks for explaining it, because I really though the whole point was
    to bring Wally back, not capture someone else.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I read the whole Lightning Saga, it just made no damn sense to me at all. Thanks for explaining it, because I really though the whole point was

Nah.
    Wally was 100% side-effect. In fact, if you read Brainiac 5's words carefully "West?", it looks like Wally was almost completely unexpected. Then-again, lumped with Timber Wolf's comments about Hal no longer having to be alone, it's a tad confusing.

Squashua on
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Nah.
    Wally was 100% side-effect. In fact, if you read Brainiac 5's words carefully "West?", it looks like Wally was almost completely unexpected. Then-again, lumped with Timber Wolf's comments about Hal no longer having to be alone, it's a tad confusing.
    It seems a bit coincidental that they would come back in time to the exact moment that Bart dies and releases the speed force to bring back Barry. Besides, isn't there a DC rule that no matter what happens Barry has to return to the run that killed him?

Maybe I'm just holding on to hope that Bart's not dead. Enough Titans have died lately.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
    edited June 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote: »
    It seems a bit coincidental that they would come back in time to the exact moment that
    Bart dies and releases the speed force to bring back Barry.

That would make sense if the JLA and Flash issues occured simultaneously. I thought that the Flash issue happened at "some time" before the JLA issue, but having them happen simultaneously makes a lot of sense; especially if the "release" in Flash coincided with the lightning strikes in JLA.

Good catch.

That would mean that there was no coincidence involved; the Legion knew what would happen in Flash and did what they did in JLA.

Squashua on
    edited June 2007
    Yeah they have to have happened simultaneously because both the Lightning Saga and the Rogue bits with Impulse take place during the same parts of Countdown.

Suprising, DC actually made good on their promise of making a book that ties all the books together. haha

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
    edited June 2007
    Yeah they have to have happened simultaneously because both the Lightning Saga and the Rogue bits with Impulse take place during the same parts of Countdown.

Suprising, DC actually made good on their promise of making a book that ties all the books together. haha

Umm, not this week or last week's issue of Countdown. They're still on the "we're not quite sure about you" phase where they're anal-probing Karate Kid.

Which issue of Countdown are you reading?

Squashua on
    edited June 2007
    Well, still... I meant the events of both are lining up at the same time in Countdown, rather than one happening "a few weeks ago" or something like that.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i wouldnt think it happened at the same time because of the last few pages with Liberty Belle telling Jay about what just happened.

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
    edited June 2007

Umm, not this week or last week's issue of Countdown. They're still on the "we're not quite sure about you" phase where they're anal-probing Karate Kid.

This week's Countdown actually took place about midway through the Lightning Saga. I still had the impression that Flash #13 and JLA #10 took place at roughly the same time, but it would make sense that Flash #13 happened first.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Kuma wrote: »
    i wouldnt think it happened at the same time because of the last few pages with Liberty Belle telling Jay about what just happened.

Liberty Belle/Jesse Quick didn't "instantly" know that Bart died. I'm sure she was told by phone, maybe hours after it happened.

Which would be hours after the Lightning Saga ended; not at the same time.

Squashua on
    edited June 2007

And the Rogues were still fighting in diners, so both were pre-current issues

Flash #12 and #13 probably took place during JLA #9 and #10

Garlic Bread on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm kind of disappointed by Bart at the end there.
    Trying to kill Inertia at the last second so the Black Flash will take him instead? That's not very heroic. Or cop-like (even for an LA cop).

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.