As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CYOA] Treepeople versus Fire-giants: Under New Management!

hoodie13hoodie13 punch broRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Social Entropy++
The last time this game was run, there was drama because the OP didn’t explain the rules very well, and wasn’t familiar with SE++ and our penchant for derailing threads. So we’re back and we’re gonna do this shit again, and if you guys want us to breed into oblivion we will. It’ll be a short thread, but I’ll try to make it as entertaining as possible. Of course, if we want it to go longer, you’ll need to make some decisions other than breed. Let’s see where we get, huh?

Patch notes for CYOA 2.0:
-Readability! - fixed the language so people can reed gud
-Rule book! - changed some of the rules to make more sense, and explained some of the ones that weren't explained.
-New race! - Got rid of the gnomes, because gnomes in fantasy worlds are stupid. They serve the same purpose as dwarves, they just dont have beards. So in place of the gnomes, we now have PLANTPEOPLE. Be an Ent! Possessing crazy long lifespans and resilience, plant people are just bound to be super interesting in terms of progression. Also, new picture.
-New special abilities! - Some specials got moved around, everything got a new name, and some have been removed altogether.
-New civilization focuses! - I moved some stuff around, combined some stuff, and made up some stuff.
-New map! - Cause I already wasnt finished changing everything. Made at work in Paint, therefore its pretty awful in quality. deusexdealwithit.gif

Introduction

This is a turn-based game. Choose your civilization by agreeing (the first 3 of the same answer) on one of the races and their affinity below. An example would be A1-The Human Science civilization.

Note that this world is not simply a “high fantasy” or whatever world. If science saves us, the civilization may gain sci-fi elements. In the last game, people mentioned fishpeople with lasers. Sure, we can go there, provided the resources and tech advances are there.

View the map and see where the different civilizations are spread out.

When you explore and expand your empire you will increase your area of domination by about 1 inch on the map each turn, in whichever direction you choose (giving landmarks like “towards the forest” helps when the civilization gets big). The resources on the map may be far away so you will have to make decisions, such as whether to hunt, research, or breed, and so on.

When you have access to resources you’ll be able to research more powerful weapons, inventions, fortifications, spells, and other stuff. Some decisions are modified by a random number generator (literally a die), offering minor, regular, and breakthrough advancements in research. If you’re familiar with D&D, then you probably know what a “critical failure” is.

How I Will Run The Game

By the seat of my pants.

This is a “choose your own adventure” type game. As such, the path we take will swing wildly depending on where we are, who we are, and what we do. Some stuff I have written down, some stuff I’m gonna come up with a couple turns in advance, and other stuff will depend entirely on what you geese talk about when making decisions. If you talk about your civilization’s intentions and people appear to agree on those, we’ll try to veer in that direction.

I may drop hints about things that are going to happen in the game, or how the populace is reacting to your decisions. If your researchers think something may be possible on the horizon with additional research, that’s me saying to research science or magic once or twice more to get that. I won’t push you into making decisions, but other stuff will happen outside of your civilization, and maybe you wanna react to that? I dunno. Up to y’all.

When it comes time to make tactical decisions, I’ll put up a list of the options available. There may be many, but I’m trying to give you a wide range so you don’t feel like you’re being railroaded into a specific choice. If you dudes wanna try something that’s not on the list, let me know and I’ll update the list with the option and chance of success (determined randomly, mostly).

If I’m going to be off the boards for a bit (i.e. sleep, personal business) I’ll try to let you know and you can make multiple choices, to keep the game moving.

Resources and Borders

Collect resources by expanding your empire over a particular marker. Forests yield wood and other plant life, which is useful in building and weaponry. Mines yield gold and other valuable (and useful!) minerals (Assume all mines contain the same amount of any metal, unless I say it contains a motherlode of X mineral. A motherlode will not mean there is fewer of the other metals, you just got lucky with that one). Farmland is important for food.

Resources replenish themselves constantly. If undertaking large projects or expanding constantly without finding additional resources, this will stop and your resources will be low until the project is completed, or more resources are obtained.

Villages on the map are project headquarters. If your empire decides to build a Crab Hatchery, it will use up a village for the rest of the game. Don’t worry, your population won’t be displaced, they’ll still be within your empire, hanging out in homes that I don’t feel like showing on the map.

Your empire will be marked on the map and its perimeter will represent your empire and its awareness. Other civilizations outside of this awareness will not be represented on your map, unless you have spies in that empire or are allies.
Here’s the World Map. Because I’m dangerous, I’ll decide where you are randomly.
world3.jpg

Races and SPECIALS

The Race Special is what makes the races unique and it can only be used once per game.

The Civilization Affinity gives you a free research point in the corresponding area, with more free points in the future as progress is made. Massive breakthroughs in this field are more possible. But just because your civilization has a certain affinity doesn’t mean you should forego the rest of the research trees!

Research into multiple affinities can also benefit each other. Do you want atom bombs? Try researching science and weaponry. Want to force-persuade that Dwarf Elder to

Here are the races we have. The previous game went with the fishpeople, as they were the race most likely to provide amusement. They were not disappointed. Remember that these races can get less Tolkein and more Warhammer 40k as the game goes on and advances are made.
voteciv2.jpg
Civilization (special ability can only be used ONCE per game)

A) Human (AGENT SMITH’S DISSERTATION ON HUMANITY: expand twice in all directions)
B) Dwarf (MOLE PEOPLE: expand to one spot anywhere on the map)
C) Elf (DAT FAIRY DUST: gain three levels in Magic)
D) Undead (WISE FWOM YO GWAVE: increase total population to 1.5x current population)
E) Orc (WAAAAAAGH: chosen battle is a guaranteed victory)
F) Giant (LIKE A ROCK, OOOOOH LIKE A ROCK: gain three levels in Defense)
G) Fishpeople (SPAWN MORE FISHLORDS: breed 3 times in one turn)
H) Plantpeople (LIKE WEEDS: gain one level in all fields of research)

Civilization affinity

1) Scientific Progress Goes Bonk (Advancing civilization through application of science. Lasers, machinery, and chemistry. General breakthroughs in science, magic, and military come faster and more numerously, with occasional random breakthroughs from gameplay)
2) I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Major-General (Focuses on advancements in war. Practical weapons and defense, warfare tactics. Breakthroughs through science, magic, and politics will have a bent towards waging war.)
3) Friendship Is Magic (Bending the world to your whim through sheer force of the arcane. Spells, summonings, and enchantments. Breakthroughs in science, military, and politics will be magically inclined and may dazzle other, less magically inclined races.)
4) Greed is Good (Backroom deals and political machinations. Trade negotiations [lol Naboo], resource management, political maneuverings, spies. Other research trees work better together and advance faster, leading to greater synergy in breakthroughs and less straight specialization.)

So, what’s your race? What do you wanna focus on, as a people? Respond like this:
lol this is awful
Lets do it
E1

PSN: HoodieThirteen
XBL: Torn Hoodie
@hoodiethirteen
hoodie13 on

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Oh we're starting in here ok!

G1 - fish science people, lets do this.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    G3

We gotta go fishpeople again.

Or plantpeople.

Something that doesn't wear pants, in any case.

broken image link
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Insidious trees.
    H4

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    G1

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    H4

38498-cactus-afro.jpg

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Is it possible to bend the rules a little bit and go half-tree, half-fish?

broken image link
  • Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    H4 bitches

LET'S DO THIS

• Options
    I guess we're tree monsters!

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    h4 h4 h4 h4

• Options
    neo you are really good at convincing people

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    I like the implication that we are a council of elder... trees, I guess

or fish

or whatever

is there going to be an actual populace this time? Revolutions and shit, man!

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Huntera wrote:
    neo you are really good at convincing people

Who wouldn't want to play a race of Greedy Cactuars

It's a no brainer

NeoToma on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    H4

edit- oh wow, I just read the OP, I didn't think this would actually be a popular choice

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    H4 it is! I'll get started on the opening post now, but its lunch time and I have to do a TINY bit of work while I'm at work, at least. You'll have something by 2pm EST.

Answers to questions:
    -Yes, there will be a populace this time and that will be a basic roll every few turns or so, particularly if there was a big decision made. If it's a 1, they'll be happy, and so on. Maybe not that black and white though.
    -Halfbreeds are possible! In the future. I actually have some plans for possible evolutions of the species, provided the game gets that far.
    -I'll be inactive from 9pm EST-5am EST weeknights, as I work early and am in bed for that duration. Feel free to continue the game and plan out some things you wanna do!

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    When should we use our racial? It'd give us a head start on those other crappy races and possibly using it gives us more benefits cause of our bonus choice thing?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sexy dryad time

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    awesome
    sexy tree doodles coming later.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Overview:
    Science: 0
    Military: 0
    Magic: 1
    Politics: 1
    Progress: 0
    Transportation: 0

Resources:
    Gold: none
    Wood: mid
    Food: low
    Population: 20

What Happened?
    One by one, your people awaken as if from a great slumber. Your bark creaks, your branches bend, your leaves stretch and twist about. The roots which have held you upright, fed you, sustained you, grow brittle. You realize you can no longer feel them, but this does not panic you. Somehow, you feel just fine.

It takes many months, but your people slowly break free of the roots which have held them in place for so many ages. Over time, your bark contorts itself and splits, forming legs and opening as jagged mouths. Eyes begin as buds on your side, and open up to see the world as you’ve never seen it before; no longer just darkness and light, but full spectrums of color! Your sides… they’re brown, and green! You have green leaves on your newfound fingers! Some of your fellows are colored red, and blue, and purple. Others are just masses of tiny leaves, their branches hidden. Many are small. Some tower over all others, massive and imposing.

You and a few others of your kind begin to meet amongst each other and plan. There are many concerns:

-You find that sunlight and soil is no longer simply enough to sustain you. With added mobility and cognizance comes a need for more energy, more food. You’ll need to find some way to feed your people. Focusing your research into science or magic could alleviate this, as could expanding your influence to include additional food resources.

-Travel as a plant is difficult and time consuming. Focusing your research into science or magic could increase this.

-Fire is bad. You’ve witness lightning strikes and the destructive power of the fire that comes from them. You will need some kind of protection against fire if you are to last in this world. Focusing your research into science, military, or magic could increase this.

-Your numbers are small, but as a plant person you know they can rise quickly. However, you also realize that it will take time for your people to be effective in any role once they are spawned. Currently, you can see no way to speed this up.

-You notice that whatever power that has brought you to sentience still remains in the area. Every day, new creatures become sentient. Why, just yesterday a fairy circle came to life and began to sing. This may be a power you can harness in the future.

-Through the miracle of your creation, you’ve realized some small modicum of magical power. This has raised your Magic standing to from 0 to 1. No technology gain has been received, however.

-Through conversation amongst yourselves, you find that you are extremely intelligent and resourceful. Your people naturally gravitate toward order, and your civilization reflects this. You have formed a council.

What will be the council’s first action?

Options (Chance of success):
    A) Expand N, S, E, W
    B) Breed
    C) Research Science
    D) Research Military
    E) Research Magic
    F) Research Politics
    G) Investigate the magic surrounding your awakening and your current location
    H) LIKE WEEDS: gain one level in all fields of research

World map:
    world4.jpg

Options concerning research:
    1) Focus on food.
    2) Focus on defense.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    H1

• Options
    Gotta get dem munchies, guys.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    H1

food, then protection from fire/possibly hostile new sentience

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    H1, expanding all of our tech trees seems most beneficial at the start.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    H1 makes the most sense, but I can't help but think that the benefit would be far greater used at a later time.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    H1 with a focus on defense

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Aphostile wrote:
    H1 makes the most sense, but I can't help but think that the benefit would be far greater used at a later time.

i dont see how.

if we start with 1 to each tech vs 0 to each and later we are at 4/5/2/3, we should still have the same total tech. the only difference is we started with more of it quicker.

also, i'll never be the best doodler, so I'll settle for being the first doodler.

treebro is ready to spread his seed next turn
    treebro.jpg

Sticks on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    H1 seems logical

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    H1

I am a venus flytrap

Gonna eat lots of mans

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    hoodie13 wrote:
    You notice that whatever power that has brought you to sentience still remains in the area. Every day, new creatures become sentient. Why, just yesterday a fairy circle came to life and began to sing. This may be a power you can harness in the future.

I have dreamed a dream, you guys.

A dream of dwarven merchants who came to peddle their silly pet rocks to us (dwarves love those things), were coerced into remaining in our lands for a little too long by our mighty tree-trickery, and then were summarily crushed by suddenly-sentient rock golems who joined us in the name of destroying their oppressors.

But for now, H1.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    Yees this is great. We should also learn magic or science to turn people into trees because that is badass.

Wait does this mean we're hippies?

2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Sticks wrote:
    Aphostile wrote:

i dont see how.

if we start with 1 to each tech vs 0 to each and later we are at 4/5/2/3, we should still have the same total tech. the only difference is we started with more of it quicker.

I was thinking more along the lines of, oh man, we're at war with the whoopflops, but we're getting slaughtered! Racial power! We now have tree blades/quicker healing/fart breath. The war is won.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Agahnim wrote:
    Yees this is great. We should also learn magic or science to turn people into trees because that is badass.

Wait does this mean we're hippies?
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5876f2aced/don-cheadle-is-captain-planet?rel=featured

• Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    H1! I'm a shill of my forum peers...

"Never Hit"
  • Options
    DECISION:

H1
    Special used, with a focus on food development.

Overview:
    Science: 1
    Military: 1
    Magic: 2
    Politics: 2
    Progress: 0
    Transportation: 0
    Insight: 1

Resources:
    Gold: none
    Wood: mid
    Food: low
    Population: 20

What Happened?
    The council locks itself away in one of the forest groves, where the trees have not yet become sentient. An accord is reached, and it is determined that in order to prosper, the people must become proficient in all things. This is the first major decision that your people have come to, and because of the small numbers of your tribe there is complete agreement. Every plant shall do its part.

-One of the councilmembers shows interest in studying the flora and fauna of your surrounding. He becomes your chief researcher in the study of the natural world and its workings. Your researcher now knows how to farm the land and grow crops. This will be an option once you own farmland. This skill could be advanced further. The researcher thinks there could be a way to wrangle the dumb beasts of the land together in once place... Science increases by 1.
    -Another of your councilmembers seems to have a deep bond to the magics surrounding your area. He becomes your chief priest, after many days of fasting and meditation. Your priest is able to tap into the magics surrounding the area and can encourage crops to grow faster. However, this imbues the crops with... well, you wouldn't call it sentience, but it makes you feel very uneasy about eating the crops. This magic could be enhanced further. Magic increases by 1.
    -Another councilmember decides that in order to advance in this world, the people will need to become a united force, able to defend against attack. He becomes your commander-in-chief. Working together with the priest and scientist, they fashion a spell that immobilizes one of your people, but will allow that treeperson to extend thorny vines along the ground to ensare and harm attackers. Your chief scientist thinks this could be put to a small amount of use in hunting wild animals, should you decide to not pursue crops (given the ethical dilemma). Military increases by 1.
    -The councilmembers have gathered together and watched the sharing of ideas and resources, and have determined that this sharing is how the plant people will advance in this world. It will require further research and theoretical discussion to determine how the plant people will make their mark on the world. Some people have begun trading items in exchange for food. Others speak in reference to the magic which brought you into this world. Perhaps these developments are jumping off points? Politics increases by 1.

Your development has gained you one insight into your creation! Comparing your people's experiences, it appears everyone "awoke" at the same time, as a bright light suddenly shone during the normally dark time. Your people all determine that this was either scientific or magical in nature. Your scientist feels it might have been one of the pinpoints of light in the sky, or perhaps one of the great shining orbs that waxes and wanes. However, he knows this bright light was brighter than any pinpoint or orb. Your priest feels that the light was definitely magical in nature, but has no ideas other than this. The rest of your people remain stumped.

There were no breakthroughs (wins at a dice roll) in this turn.

The people have not grown outwardly as a tribe, but they have greatly advanced in a short amount of time. It remains to be seen what they will do with their advancements. Will the plant people wither and die in their grove, or will they find their place in this world, by force or by subterfuge?

What will be the council’s next action?

Options (Chance of success):
    A) Expand N, S, E, W
    B) Breed
    C) Research Science
    D) Research Military
    E) Research Magic
    F) Research Politics
    G) Investigate the magic surrounding your awakening and your current location
    H) Hunt

Options concerning the previous politics research:
    1) Create a religion based on your magic and political understanding.
    2) Create an economic system.
    3) Think about things some more and come up with something that hasn't been thought of by the tree people! (i.e. fill in the blank, come up with something)

Here's also what I want from you: What is our people's name? If we go with a religion, what is our god or pantheon called? If we create an economic system, what do we trade or barter with? Also, more pictures.

Gym time, be back in a bit.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    TREEFRO
    pxfTE.png

• Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    A) North, to farmland and gold!

Also we are a wise and mighty oak so we should barter with wisdom of ancient days. Or something.

Are we going for a magic theme or we sciencing it up again?

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    Look uh, the whole thing with the crops isn't exactly panning out; I'm not too happy with my salad screaming in anguish.

But maybe we could use our crops as barter!

...immoral? The hell does that mean?

• Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    F2

Sig to mucho Grande!