As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Space Pirates And Zombies!

124»

• Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    For people trying to get Huge ships (I'm at the level 70 planet at the core) go open gates between levels 55 to 65. Even if you fail, as long as you take out the big ship, you got the black box.

I'm using the Suacer version of Huge ships, forgot its name, it has 3 large drone factories and a huge turret, I use beems and zapper drones. Once you get this comfortable, the game is just good.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Right now I'm rolling around in that big ship with eight turrets. Got two thingamabobs (forgot the name) that are basically short-range shotguns that are great against shields and can stun the target, and six cannons.

I just park in front of stuff and watch it die.

• Options
    Turrets are an important advantage and they are balanced as such, check the left hook (or was it right?), it has 3 LARGE to your 6 small and an extra large lanchuer to boot, but its ok, because you get to change the side you are getting hit on (if one of your armors is failing) and still hit, because of turrets. Not to mention pesky scouts and other tiny's and smalls, turrets murder them.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I've found that cannons are a lot more fun than beams, because with cannons you can slap an asston of Cannon Boosters on your ships, resulting in silly things.

Like, I finished the game with a Sunspot (the huge triple-drone ship) that had two small Mass Drivers (I preferred the small turrets to the huge one for the much better tracking speed, as I didn't invest in turrets and the range difference seemed to be zero) that fired about as fast as Particle Cannons. I'd use a tiny ship with said thingamabobs to take out something's shields, and there would just come a stream of bullets from my AI-controlled capital ship that tore it to shreds.

Beam weapons, unfortunately, don't really benefit from improved fire rate, so the boosters aren't very effective. Though, it seems like some of the specialized beams can be pretty awesome... disabling with Ion Beam + Leech Beam for instance.

Beams DO have a nice advantage in being point-defense and more effective against smaller ships, though.

Garthor on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2011
    It's really true that there are so many ways to play this game. I for one line to have automated turrets and giggle while doing drive-bys. 8->

Echo on
  • Options
    Beam boosters don't boost the fire rate, they boost beam life and nerf beam recharge (which is a boost). So they stay on longer, and take less "energy" to recharge, energy being very important if you have a fast recharge shield. And high five on the sunspot ;D best huge for the lazy person.

I tried the star cruiser, and while it murders stuff infront of it, its a slow turner and aiming is hard. It also has too many wasted launcher slots, which I didn't invest any levels in.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I abused the stealth + particle cannon trick to get myself some huges, now have the freighter (crap), the sunspot (pretty good) and the carrier (missile boat AND 3 huge guns AND a drone slot?!)

Got bored with the stealth, so I popped a fortress shield on a carrier 2 shield boosters, it now has like 5k shields. Only thing that has put a dent in it so far was a titan beam. Also has 2 missile boosters and a cannon booster (I stripped out the drone slot and both forward facing guns), so it can just spam 8 missiles every second and do good damage. Just got the mass driver, so I am gonna try running around with that now. I don't even bother using other ships now.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Man, this game is just pure fun.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    So how do the zombies work exactly?

Do they move from system to system, infecting it? Or are they just another static feature?

Because i'm getting tired of how static this game can be.

• Options
    I just finished the game like 4 hours ago, that was a very fun game, like I-only-sleep-the-minimum-amount-possible-during-the-last-week fun. I do have a couple of problems with it which I hope gets fixed if they are planing a DLC of some sort:
    1- The respec feature is too expensive to be used for fun, its only function as of now is to respec yourself out of a bad spec (maxing out shields and stealth for example, or spending points on something only to find none of the good Huges can make use of it).
    2- Mission selection needs to be expanded at least 3 times, too few types of mission exist, and they get boring.
    3- The can't leave 'till there's no boogies needs to compare ship classes and let me go if I got the bigger guns, I shouldn't be stuck in a stage because two blazing fast tiny ships are fighting it off 40,000 k away from me.
    4- More ships, more guns, more varaity in engines, reactors and shields, more missions, more random events. Basicaly I want an expansion and I'll just give my money again.

• Options
    The devs have said that they plan on a full expansions worth of content as free DLC for the game through updates.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They also really need to add a wingman option for your ai, so they just follow you in formation and shoot your target, rather than flying 400k by themselves to die because you can't untarget the the one ship on the map.
    I also agree with the respec sentiments, the tech acquisition is too random for them to not allow free respecs.

They could also stand to even out the hangar unlocks more, so it moves in a more linear upgrade fashion (and so you aren't left with a useless small slot).
    They also really need to balance blueprint acquisition, there is pretty much no reason to pay a red rez for anything, since you can just destroy the station and get it(or sometimes 5 different ones for free).

I have to say about the end game;
    I am surprised at the 180 the game took, turning into somewhat of a empire simulator-lite. Is there any more to the game after you clear the core of zombies or is it just game over?
    Is there a newgame+ where I can take my goodies/ships/levels and start again?

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    They also really need to add a wingman option for your ai, so they just follow you in formation and shoot your target, rather than flying 400k by themselves to die because you can't untarget the the one ship on the map.
    I also agree with the respec sentiments, the tech acquisition is too random for them to not allow free respecs.

They could also stand to even out the hangar unlocks more, so it moves in a more linear upgrade fashion (and so you aren't left with a useless small slot).
    They also really need to balance blueprint acquisition, there is pretty much no reason to pay a red rez for anything, since you can just destroy the station and get it(or sometimes 5 different ones for free).

I am surprised at the 180 the game took, turning into somewhat of a empire simulator-lite. Is there any more to the game after you clear the core of zombies or is it just game over?
    Not sure, I'm halfway through clearing it now, but honestly its pretty damn boring at this point. I like the game and I want to finish some of the harder achievements so I'm still working on it. However, Act 4 made the game considerably less fun for me.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    TheOrange wrote:
    3- The can't leave 'till there's no boogies needs to compare ship classes and let me go if I got the bigger guns, I shouldn't be stuck in a stage because two blazing fast tiny ships are fighting it off 40,000 k away from me.
    Just hit Mass Retreat.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Or switch to a smaller/faster ship. Switching ships is as easy as hitting Q and E.

You can also dump your cargo and your armor if you need some speed.

Or refit a ship if nothing is fast enough to catch them.

Or just use the Tactics screen to order your lighter ships to run it down.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Mugaaz wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

Not sure, I'm halfway through clearing it now, but honestly its pretty damn boring at this point. I like the game and I want to finish some of the harder achievements so I'm still working on it. However, Act 4 made the game considerably less fun for me.
    There's absolutely no need to clear the infection apart from getting the achievement. Once you're told you've cleansed the required number of systems, you can basically end the game at any time by doing the final mission. I was level 98 by then and the final mission was trivial.

That said, I had a freaking blast with this game. Played all week and only finished today because I was home sick for two days. :)

I struggled until I started using mines, dominated for awhile and then switched to the Hammerhead (huge with 8 turrets) for point-at-it-and-watch-it-die enjoyment.

Hardly used cloaks, never used drones or bombs. Looking forward to trying again with different builds. This game is an oustanding achievement for these indie developers. Really excited to see what else they do with it.

• Options
    Mugaaz wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

I beat every zombie map, nothing unlocks or opens up. Ugh

• Options
    Sorry, I tried to warn you. The clear-the-entire-galaxy achievement is just that. There's no point in doing it otherwise.

• Options
    Sorry, I tried to warn you. The clear-the-entire-galaxy achievement is just that. There's no point in doing it otherwise.

The absolute cherry on the crapola cake is that you still get attacked when warping on the world map even after a full clear.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Just got to the core worlds. Mmm, zombies.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    CubemonkeyCubemonkey Registered User regular
    Got this game a few days ago. Loving it.

Depth similar to Eve in that there are a huge number of ways to outfit a ship "correctly," rather than one right way and a billion wrong ways. Doesn't have the boring mining grind, thankfully. The mining handles itself when you pick up the remnants of ships you destroy. You can go mine if you need to, of course.

I just got my first huge ship last night, a Hammerhead. Had to fight it near an unfriendly station, and lost a few ships taking it down. I've been using a beam Grinder, cannon Hound, and cannon Turtle Head with great success until very recently (tech level 60 or so). At this point, in the core worlds, too many ships have huge armor for my beam Grinder to tear them up like it used to. Trying to get the fusion beam for this reason.

Currently my Hammerhead has two huge overload emitter turrets and the other four turrets are disruptor cannons. It murders things. Took down a star cruiser with advanced armor and huge shields head-on last night. When I get fortress shields and advanced armor, I expect to be unstoppable.

Stahl - 50 Sage - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I played this game until I got around tech 20 or so. I wanted to make it through a sector, but made enemies of the Military (or whatever, name escaping me at the moment). I was helping the citizens in the sector I was in, and I became friendly with them as they had a bunch of stuff for sale that I wanted.

I eliminated all of the military ships in one sector, and proceeded to try to kill them off completely, because I had nothing else to do.
    Big mistake. I basically burned all my matter up trying to respawn ships to take down a space station. I had it almost completely destroyed too.

I quit because mining is slow and boring, and kind of dumb, IMO.

• Options
    I played this game until I got around tech 20 or so. I wanted to make it through a sector, but made enemies of the Military (or whatever, name escaping me at the moment). I was helping the citizens in the sector I was in, and I became friendly with them as they had a bunch of stuff for sale that I wanted.

I eliminated all of the military ships in one sector, and proceeded to try to kill them off completely, because I had nothing else to do.
    Big mistake. I basically burned all my matter up trying to respawn ships to take down a space station. I had it almost completely destroyed too.

Nice thing about mining is that you can largely automate it. Just build a fleet of mining ships, fly to a mining sector, and walk away from your PC for awhile. The other ships in your fleet will collect ore continuously. Takes a little while but there's no need to do it yourself if you find it tedious.

• Options
    Or just go to a friendly civilian mining station and park your mining ships near it. You'll suck up all of the excess and have plenty of Rez to get back on your way in no time flat.

• Options
    Won't your ships get destroyed if you go near the space station?
    I thought that was one of the very first things in the tutorial - don't go near the mining station or you'll get killed.

• Options
    edited September 2011

I don't normally use this phrase, but:

You're doing it wrong.

Surprise surprise, but if you burn up all your resources pointlessly attacking a station that completely outclasses you, you'll have to go and get new resources.

Charge around the various systems blowing up ships and gathering tech, and keep moving. I've never had to farm for rez. I always get it passively from killing things.
    I thought that was one of the very first things in the tutorial - don't go near the mining station or you'll get killed.

Where'd you learn that? There are friendly stations and unfriendly stations, denoted in each case by the face next to the icon on your map of the system. Regardless, you can do missions to make the unfriendly station friendly, or vice versa. Or, later, if you don't want to go through the trouble of improving your relationship with a faction, you can take your ships and attack a station that has blueprints you want.

Remember that each system's faction relations are independent. The UTA can hate you in one system but love you in the next.

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Basically, the mining beams that the stations use to break up the asteroids will also do a decent job of breaking up your shields and ships. So, as long as you aren't getting caught in the "crossfire," you'll be okay.

• Options
    Where would I go to get the most Rez without risking combat, since I'm completely out of it?

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Make some ships that have large cargo bays with tractor beams and find a friendly mining station that is close to where the beacon spawns that you can sit next to. Then go watch TV for a while and come back to a full bank of rez.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Where would I go to get the most Rez without risking combat, since I'm completely out of it?

Go to the big galaxy map. Mouse over the yellow MINING icon on the right. Systems with mining stations will light up. Look for a green target over a system. That means the mining colony is friendly to you and you can go auto-mine there.

Alternatively, just go back to Sol, the first solar system (ours). My guess is that most people are anti-UTA in that system, so the mining colony should be friendly.

Use a tug and hatchets, since I think you should have those by now.

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    I don't know if it's good game design that if you've fucked yourself, like I have, that the only way to get back to a playable state is to leave the computer to do its thing for an hour or so. :S

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I don't know if it's good game design that if you've fucked yourself, like I have, that the only way to get back to a playable state is to leave the computer to do its thing for an hour or so. :S

You're only at a point where the mothership has 2500 rez capacity. That's 10 trips from the mining station to the beacon for JUST the tug. That wouldn't take me more than ten minutes. Personally, I never automine.

Just make sure you have tractors on the tug.

It's not bad design to punish players for doing stupid things. Once you un-fuck yourself, you will never need to mine for rez again.

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    One of the reasons why I attacked the space station in the first place was because the UTA was really weak in the sector, I was maxxed out on Rez, and wanted to just try it.
    And so, I killed myself so many times that I ran out of Rez. Nearly killed the station too, for what it's worth.

• Options
    One of the reasons why I attacked the space station in the first place was because the UTA was really weak in the sector, I was maxxed out on Rez, and wanted to just try it.
    And so, I killed myself so many times that I ran out of Rez. Nearly killed the station too, for what it's worth.

Yeah, keep playing. Before long, you'll be able to take out Tier 1 and Tier 2 stations without thinking about it. Eventually, even Tier 3 stations will drop without that much of an issue.

Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    I've done that sort of thing many times L Ron and it's never taken me more than ten to fifteen minutes to fully recover and get back in action.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, L Ron,

Not to be rude, but when you noticed that your ships were getting trashed and you were running low on Rez, why didn't you just retreat to try again later?

I mean, that's what I did when I tried to take on a station, only to realize that I couldn't handle their fighter screen yet.

• Options
    I wasn't really paying attention until it wouldn't build any more guys, and I was in the last large cruiser I had.

• Options
    I wasn't really paying attention until it wouldn't build any more guys, and I was in the last large cruiser I had.

I don't think you are very good at video games, my e-friend.

Save more, and in different files.

Rigorous Scholarship
  • Options
    :(

• Options
    edited September 2011
    So I outfitted my hammerhead with fortress shields and fusion beam on every turret. It's a death machine. I fly right up in to anything's face and nuke it to death.

The only times I lose shields are when I'm surrounded by small ships with anti-shield weapons and I'm focusing on the huge battleship. I should probably just take out the little guys first.

Star Cruisers are probably the easiest to deal with - just stay out of the way of their main gun and hit them from the side.

Sunspots can be an issue because they all seem to equip beams and tons of armor along with drones. They still go down alright if I get behind them.

Cubemonkey on
    Rigorous Scholarship