As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[4E IC] ODAM: The Piece that Doesn't Fit

13»

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    Hal laughed along with the Major.

"Good to see you again, Major. Allow me to introduce Varis, an initiate to the Skyknights, and Shy'th...al... Shy, who is... very enthusiastic about justice."

Hal sort of shrugged, and Major Pinkerton nodded. The motivations of Elves were difficult to understand and sometimes better left not wondered about. They had strong attachments to gods, unbreakable vows, and all manner of obscure practices. His smile faded, however, when he asked Shy to show the Major the collar she had found upon one of the trolls.

"Damn... is that?"

"I believe it is. Father had one like it amongst his trophies that he took from the third battle at Red Iron. It was big enough to belt an ox, though."

"I remember. From a damn siege giant. Aside from finding it on a troll, what else do we have to prove it. No magicians around for miles."

"It so happens..." said Hal, as he turned his head toward Erik, "that I have found a magician who wishes to serve."

Hal held the piece toward Erik.

"It's said that a Collar Of Twin Snakes has some sort of... ensorcellment that binds a giant to the will of its master," stated the Major. "Can you tell if this is the real thing?"

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    Erik nodded "Of course." Finally, he thought, some much deserved respect.

He concentrated and placed his hands around the object. A magical glow began to crackle, and Erik throws his hands back.
    "Ahh! Nine hells that thing hurts. Whatever enchantment is on there, it's not easy to detect. Although..." He rubs his chin, "I've heard of these. Their protection enchant can only really take so much. Sooner or later, I'll be able to divine it. If that's okay with you, Major, I could try later, and take it with us. I would report back, of course, when I manage to break the enchantment and find anything, of course."

• HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    "Aye, that's fine - so long as Hal's willing to vouch for you." the Major remarked, crossing his arms. "Would have my own war wizard take a peek, but the damn fellow's gone off with one group to Engus - the man's leagues away. Still...no sense in waiting."

Leaning forwards with his elbows on the desk and fingers laced, he studied the group of five carefully. "Sure I could allow a payment from the Garrison's generous stores, if someone were to try and track down the rest of these bloody things. Have to put a stop to this before things get out of hand - you know the saying."

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Varis flashed a glance at Shy and tried to gauge the likelihood of the group heading back out into the snow so soon. Though he dreaded the very idea to the marrow of his nearly-frozen bones, the future Skyknight would never let on lest he shame the order.

"We had discussed exterminating them," he piped up, cringing inwardly as he did so, "but we thought better of it when we encountered the pilgrims."

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Erik laughs, "Pilgrims. You must admit it still sounds funny, treating the father and myself like mere travelers after you have experienced what we are capable of."

He leans back, conjuring a faint green hand to grab a mug of ale from a table. The soldiers saw it float off, and laughing at their absent friends unattended ale finding a new owner.
    "Of course, we should really discuss the matter of payment. I will help you, but I'm not exactly FREE."

The Major gave Hal a curious look.

"Is he making a joke or something?"

"Not sure, Major. Eccentric types, Magicians."

"Right. Well, as far as I can tell it's your problem and not mine, boy. Will you accept the commission to hunt down these beasts and divine their purpose?"

"I will."

The Major made it official with a few words and signatures written up dotted lines on a sheaf of papers which he handed to Hal.

"Hal Waxworth, you are commissioned by myself, Major Lars Pinkerton, to perform the duties of bounty and expedition outlined in these pages," he rolled through the recitation with the evidence of many repetitions, "and you may fulfill them at your discretion, limited only by the privileges and responsibilities that are specified herein, so on and so forth, thank you for your service to West Garrison."

The two men shook hands, and Hal rolled up the papers with a smile.

"I'll see you soon, Major."

"I certainly hope so, Hal."

The young nobleman straightened his cloak and turned to the rest of the group.

"We'll set off at first light. Now then, Zossima and Erik," he said (apparently still not clear on which was which), "if you wish to join the expedition, you're guaranteed payment. And also a round of drinks if you are so inclined."

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited August 2011
    It said it posted twice, but didn't. Awesome.
    Man I love this goddamn new forum. Sure has no bugs and certainly wasn't rushed despite taking forgoddamnever!.

The Muffin Man on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    "Peril! PERIL!" The Major hollers rather suddenly, not particularly seeming to care that Hal is busy awaiting a response from those under his command. He rolls his eyes at the curious look pointed in ihs direction. "Young recruit. Bloody useless, but he knows his way about the garrison."

Sure enough, not too long after the racket a weedy-looking young boy, barely a man at all, hastily runs into the room. The uniform is mismatched and the sword hanging at his side is still a wooden practice one but he seems eager enough, if a little nervous.

"There you are - about time. Show my friend wherever he needs to go." With a jerk of his head towards the five crowding the building's halls he starts to work his way away, muttering the whole while about paperwork this and bloody trolls that and so on.

Peril shifts a little uncomfortably, not exactly sure who he should be addressing. "Where can I show y'sirs?" After a moment of thought he notices Shy. "Y'lady."

Erik smirks and shook his head, "To our rooms, lad." Recruits were a dime a dozen, it seemed. He remembered his old days in the Mage academy. So many boys fancied themselves powerful wizards, and so many young women fancied themselves to "break gender boundaries".
    "Always broke the dears hearts to hear the Head Magus was a lass herself." he muttered wistfully, to no one in particular. He ignored the awkward glances (as usual), and looked to the boy, mistaking him for little more than a serving boy.
    "A hot cup of tea before bed would be nice, if you wouldn't mind, lad. And...oof...damn cold," he winced as he stood up, "perhaps a warmed blanket for this old man?"

With a flick of his wrist, he returned the (now empty) mug to the table it originated from, green hand fading as it owner returned, grilling his friends on the whereabouts of his ale.
    "We've got work to do. If you'll have the Father and myself, Hal, I'll gladly fight s'more trolls with you. The drinks, however, can wait til we come back with more Troll heads. No point wasting good swill before we even deserve it, eh?"

Did everyone forget about this or are we all on horribly timed vacations?

"Ha!" Hal grinned widely. "What a terrible life this would be if we all got what we deserved, Magician. Suit yourself. Varis, if you or Shy care to enjoy the hospitality of West Garrison, I'll be at Mad Molly's tonight. Big striped pavilion, music, shouting, can't miss it. If not... we meet at the gates tomorrow."

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    "I'm gonna get a head start on sleeping. I'm old, I need my rest." He said, heading toward the barracks.
    "Feel free to bring me back some bar food for tomorrows breakfast. I'm not picky. I'll drink booze before the sun rises if it suits me."
    He chuckled and headed towards his quarters.