As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] NEW SHOW! Extra Credits - Pacing

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited September 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Welcome guys! Super excited to have you guys on board. :)

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/episode-07-pacing

Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    I was thrilled to see that they were coming to PA. They put on a quality show, very entertaining and very informative. And their idea about making an indie publishing house (see last week's episode for details) is fantastic.

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    DeminobodyDeminobody Registered User new member
    Glad to see Extra Creditz found a new home! Also, I'm happy to see Allison's artwork again!

TL;DR: :D

• Options
    ChronicChronic Registered User regular
    YAY! Extra Creditz is one of the best shows on the internet these days. Very well written and very thought provoking. I'm (rolls D20) Super Excited to see them on PATV!

I hit people with pillow wrapped baseball bats. Sure the blow is softer, but its still a bat.
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    And with this, I now watch more TV on PATV than anywhere else.

Well, there's the fansubbed anime, but that's kinda hard to beat.

Good luck in the new home, EC!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    Welcome to the EC crew - glad you guys found a new home, and thank you to PA for bringing them on! Looking forward to the rest!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Man, now I apparently have to go looking for all the back episodes of this. This was pretty great.

Game and friend frolicking in the meadow made me chuckle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nyquiljunkynyquiljunky Registered User new member
    It only remains for Yatzee and Bob to jump their show to PATV and this place will officially be the home of all the Escapists best material...

• Options
    srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    Man, now I apparently have to go looking for all the back episodes of this. This was pretty great.

Game and friend frolicking in the meadow made me chuckle.

Eh, just hang out. They'll have the full back-catalog up in not too long, and it's quite a bit and more than worth the wait. Extra Creditz is, I find, one of the most honest and frank discussions about the theory and science of games (i.e. 'ludology' and yes, it's a word), so I'm super happy to see they got everything resolved and got a new home. The BS they suffered with The Escapist and Allison's injury was pretty startling.

Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
  • Options
    MrZeebubMrZeebub Registered User regular
    So awesome that EC is on PATV. I'm a huge fan of the show.

The hat does the talking.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So this might be the first time I've seen an episode of them, but what's up with the guy's voice? Is he in a victim protection program? Is he addicted to helium balloons?

It was a concise summary of story-telling theory and all, but uh silly voices are silly.

• Options
    beryliousberylious Registered User new member
    Yesss!!! So happy the EC crew is here. ;D

• Options
    leojreimrocleojreimroc Registered User new member
    I absolutely love this show. I joined up on Escapist when they moved there, now I just joined up here.

• Options
    JobiasJobias Registered User regular
    Is this country or region-locked somehow? I know of myself in Edmonton and a couple others also in Edmonton and Vancouver who are unable to see the episode. We all get a black screen and an error message stating:

"Sorry, this episode is temporarily unavailable. Please try again."

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Been a huge fan of you guys for a while now.

Glad to see you found a new home.

Welcome!

• Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this, just like I enjoyed all the others. More please!

uGn5f.png
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yay! Glad EC found a new home rather quickly.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Congratulations on the move to PA, good to see you folk here!

As far as the episode goes, I never considered that model of pacing being applied on a smaller scale per level or even per action, that's definitely food for thought.

And cut to credits cliffhangers are pretty frustrating, off the top of my head the Mass Effect games are good examples of games that resolve the major conflict of the story and wind down at the end, while still hinting at what's to come.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yesss! Welcome guys, glad to see you here, and to have Alison back.

Another point that is how varying the intensity of different types of engagement can be used to balance the excitement levels, using it to subtly ramp down one type while building up another. The most obvious examples are puzzles. I'm currently playing Silent Hill 2 through for the first time, and running across a puzzle is one of the most worrying things in the game, because I just know we're building up to an intense moment, though they're still not so predictably placed that there's always one right before a boss battle. Unfortunately most action-oriented games seem to get this wrong by having puzzles that are stupidly easy, which goes from 'ramping excitement down' to 'boring', and again Silent Hill 2 gets this right by letting the player choose the difficulty of the action sequences (or how exciting they are) but also the puzzle sequences (how much they want the excitement ramped down). It's brilliant game design, and I'd love to see more games using this idea.

Flay on
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    I love these guys!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Aldo wrote:
    So this might be the first time I've seen an episode of them, but what's up with the guy's voice? Is he in a victim protection program? Is he addicted to helium balloons?

It was a concise summary of story-telling theory and all, but uh silly voices are silly.

1. It gives his "character" and the show itself a more unique voice and sound, more identifiable as EC than just some generic dude talking

2. It allows the same amount of information to be conveyed in a shorter period of time to make episodes shorter and more concise.

#pipe on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Glad you guys found a new home so quickly!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    What's up with the Escapist exodus? Are they folding or something?

Not complaining, just don't know if there's news I missed.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    LoadingReadyRun still has multiple series on the Escapist, and as for EC there were some disagreements, it's best to leave it as water under the bridge.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Today I learned that I should be eating more candy.

candy.jpg

A lot more.

Thanks Extra Credits!

• Options
    silliestowlsilliestowl Registered User new member
    I've been reading PA for years, but never created a forum account. I did so today simply because I'm that excited that Extra Credits found a home here. Super stoked.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    AWESOME!!

I am so glad that EC is on PATV now, that is perfect.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    ----

DaltonCarl on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    LoadingReadyRun still has multiple series on the Escapist, and as for EC there were some disagreements, it's best to leave it as water under the bridge.

The editor-in-chief, Russ Pitts, quit today. Things are still going on.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Today I learned that I should be eating more candy.

candy.jpg

A lot more.

Thanks Extra Credits!

The resolution is diabetes.

• Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:

I believe he did it because he thought his own voice got kind of boring. EC started out as a college presentation project (first seen at OCRemix) and he did the voice pitch and compression in order to keep people paying attention, and it _worked_.

It turned into a series shortly after that, about an episode a month, until James, the designer, got a hold of Daniel, the guy doing the talking, and EC turned into what it is today. Allison has been doing the art from day 1 I believe, but I could be wrong. I'm very happy to have watched these shows since the beginning, and am glad they can continue producing them without too much interruption!

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Is it just me or does the presentation of the show undercut the point of it

"Let's have a Super Serious monologue on how to develop a good game... by a stick-man...now let's put in a bunch of 4chan memes and call it a day"

It makes the show rapidly oscillate between "I guess I'm supposed to take this seriously" to "No, no i'm not supposed to take this seriously", and because of that I find the whole experience without any real bite or impact

It's like when Family Guy or something attempts to be biting social or political commentary; it just doesn't work because the next scene is Peter fighting a chicken

Rent on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I've enjoyed the show for awhile now, having discovered it some months back when it was on Escapist, and I'm glad to see it's in a place it can grow.

Rather curious as to what games the writer has actually designed, since he seems to actually be a consultant.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HsyndromeHsyndrome Registered User new member
    Super excited about PA acquiring Extra Credits as part of the team. I really smart show I've been following for the better part of the year. Was sad to hear about their falling out with escapist.

This is a good home for them though.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    MaxFrost wrote:
    Aldo wrote:

I believe he did it because he thought his own voice got kind of boring. EC started out as a college presentation project (first seen at OCRemix) and he did the voice pitch and compression in order to keep people paying attention, and it _worked_.

It turned into a series shortly after that, about an episode a month, until James, the designer, got a hold of Daniel, the guy doing the talking, and EC turned into what it is today. Allison has been doing the art from day 1 I believe, but I could be wrong. I'm very happy to have watched these shows since the beginning, and am glad they can continue producing them without too much interruption!
    I think I would prefer his actual voice over mr Helium-guzzler's. :? I think for every person who pays attention because squeek squeek squeek there's 9 others who will promptly ignore you.

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    holy SHIT I did not expect PATV to pick up Extra Credits

fucking

awesome

• Options
    DexterBelgiumDexterBelgium Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Registered just for the single purpose of welcoming the EC crew, and indeed, between this and Checkpoint (TFFSFKAENN (the frickin funny show formerly known as ENN)) this seems to be a good home for all of the Escapists funniest people. Bob and Yahtzee are pretty much the only things propping that place up.

Good points, once again, in the episode, and once again you have given me a whole know way of analyzing the world and the things I like. Great!

EDIT: as to the presentation in a more lighthearted way: srsly, guys, do you really think you can pitch a dead-serious monologue on these "high-brow" topics, and have the internet not go "BOOOOORING" after five seconds if they didn't make sure the packaging was as funny as the message is insightful? As to family guy, simpsons and the like: I think their "serious" messages reach far more people more effectively precisely because the message "Fox is retarded" is bookended by Homer hitting his head multiple times on a melon.

DexterBelgium on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Nice to see Extra Credits has found a new home. Though I also wouldn't have minded if they'd stayed on Youtube.

I liked this episode. I know pacing is important and I can sort of tell when something's badly paced or not, but I've never seen it laid out like this. It was interesting.

• Options
    SpearheadSpearhead Registered User new member
    Awesome, good to see the EC guys find a new home.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Eh, just hang out. They'll have the full back-catalog up in not too long, and it's quite a bit and more than worth the wait. Extra Creditz is, I find, one of the most honest and frank discussions about the theory and science of games (i.e. 'ludology' and yes, it's a word), so I'm super happy to see they got everything resolved and got a new home. The BS they suffered with The Escapist and Allison's injury was pretty startling.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111418-Extra-Credits-Artist-Amazed-at-Fan-Support

??

Do tell?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DexterBelgiumDexterBelgium Registered User regular
    Very nasty he said/she said debate between the EC crew and the Escapist, which boiled down to the EC crew asserting they were put in the position to ask for money for Alisson's surgery because they hadn't ever been paid for the videos they did for the Escapist (although they were owed money), and that the Escapist claimed that they were owed a significant portion of the proceeds from the donation drive as it went over (way way over) the amount needed for the surgery.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.305970-Extra-Credits-leaves-the-Escapist-NEW-Extra-Credits-Presents-The-MMORTS?page=1

Quote: "Neither party is really the "villain" or "hero" in this whole mess, so I think not choosing a side works. "

Which, I suppose, is probably true. Although my esteem for the escapist has gone down a few pegs, and my esteem for EC is just as high as it ever was. Especially now I've seen the "publishing" episode.