As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't get it...

Dr. NohDr. Noh Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in PAX Archive
Why is wearing a kilt such a popular thing at PAX?
I lost count of how many kilts I saw.
Is this some new nerdy trend? Like the bacon thing?

Dr. Noh on

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Having unfortunately never been to PAX. It's likely a reference to Wil Wheatons character in the guild.
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp0n_MMqlkUwJB1aLypGuWDHWx76QVG8UI-XT216-IXfiBBurb1g
    I suck at imbedding images.

I saw a video of what I think was the recent PAX prime (the one where Wheaton got the cloak of dicks) and he was wearing the kilt from the show.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Dr. Noh wrote:
    Why is wearing a kilt such a popular thing at PAX?
    I lost count of how many kilts I saw.
    Is this some new nerdy trend? Like the bacon thing?

Not quite @Morblitz.
    Utilikilts (utilikilt.com) have been pretty popular at PAX for some time- they even had some floor space for their store at the con. I've heard they are quite comfortable considering all the walking being done and have enough space for things you'd normally keep in your pockets.

They're also based in Seattle.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    yes, utillikilts became a "thing" around 07/08 and have been growing in popularity. :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Perhaps I should just go to PAX.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • XarthanXarthan Registered User regular
    Easier to go bio?

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    My Essay on Kilts in Seattle...

Seattle has always had a healthy stick-it-to-the-man culture, and kilts have always been a big part of its anti-fashion movement. Utilikilts started in Seattle because there was already a niche market for kilts, and now they're starting to gain popularity as a regional fashion outside of the rebellious Ave Rat crowd. A lot of Enforcers are from Seattle, so...

My first experience with Kilted Seattle was in the 1980's, when (for a while) the look for guys was sort of a skinhead-scottish-britpunk look: Shaved Head, White TShirt, Kilt, Suspenders (worn loose, not over the shoulder) and Doc Martins.

I still think guys in kilts are sexy.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • PickettPickett Registered User regular
    (Note: I am just speaking for myself here. To each their own...)
    Kilts are great! They are roomy and comfortable. They don't bind, chafe, or restrict you in any way. That being said, they are an... uncommon fashion choice here in the US. You can be brave and just go all out and wear it, but you will likely get some strange looks. Since we nerdy types often like to *reduce* the odd looks we get rather than increase them, there are only a few places we can get away with it.

One situation is anywhere that folks are dressing up in costumes. Face it, if there is a guy dressed up as Master Chief standing next to Princess Peach, no one is going to bat an eyelash about your kilt. So PAX wins on this count.

Another situation is anywhere where other people are wearing kilts. I went to a highland festival over the Summer. There, *not* wearing a kilt was the odder choice. So you just need to find a place where lots of other folks are wearing kilts. Seeing one guy in a kilt, it is easy to make the mistake of thinking it is a skirt. Seeing 20 guys in the same room, of all physiques and sizes, wearing kilts, you are more likely to realize what you are seeing. PAX already won on the first count, and Utilikilts is in Seattle, so it wins on this count too.

I am not saying that I wear my kilt to try and "fit in" or be part of the crowd, but an event like PAX can redefine the line for what is "weird." That means that someone like me, who is more than happy to wear a bow tie to work everyday but would not dream of wearing my Utilikilt to work is more than happy to wear it to PAX. With a bow tie, in fact.

Basically, being among 50,000 like minded folks can extend the reach of my "comfort zone." (It also helps that my wife thinks I look good in my kilt.)

My 2 cents...

• jumpman-jrjumpman-jr Registered User regular
    In Seattle Utilikilts have been Over ever since Speakeasy burned down. It was a little horrifying to see so many of them at PAX.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    jumpman-jr wrote:
    In Seattle Utilikilts have been Over ever since Speakeasy burned down. It was a little horrifying to see so many of them at PAX.

Disagree?

I am seeing more and more of them as time goes on. People are more accepting of them (at least anyone whos not you, evidently) in Seattle than most other places.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    jumpman-jr wrote:

whoa... fashion police are on patrol, apparently.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    tvethiopia wrote:
    jumpman-jr wrote:

Maybe in cahoots with the food police.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote:
    jumpman-jr wrote:

Disagree?

I am seeing more and more of them as time goes on. People are more accepting of them (at least anyone whos not you, evidently) in Seattle than most other places.

Something can still be accepted but still be facepalm-worthy fashion-wise. People are accepting of all kinds of odd fashion choices. As compared to back in high school, where wearing a kilt might have gotten your ass kicked.

The density at PAX was...surprising to me. I think they look a bit silly, and I don't have the legs to pull one off, but hey if it's your thing I say go for it.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:
    jumpman-jr wrote:

And the hygiene police.

steam_sig.png
  • PickettPickett Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    TNTrooper wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    tvethiopia wrote:
    jumpman-jr wrote:

And the hygiene police.

I assume this last comment is in reference to the so called "true" Scotsman going commando, as it were? I have to say that I find the idea distasteful, silly, and unhygienic.

But what can I say, I'm Irish, we know better... :) (Hopefully any Scots will take this last comment with the good natured humor that was intended.)

Pickett on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    FACT: the ladies love'em.
    FACT: i love wearing them :)

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:

A man who wears his kilt for "the Ladies"...

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    dyaballikl wrote:

must agree. never gave them too much thought, but as a result of this thread I wound up perusing the utilikilt website and now i'm wondering if my bf could be talked into one.

7YIpfE5.png
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    dyaballikl wrote:

My name is Mary Sue, and I approve this message.

Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    So... would a girl wearing one be weird? I spent a little time in Utilikilts' booth, and all the pockets intrigue me. (Also the ability to snap 'em together to prevent thigh-chafe)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    akjak wrote:
    So... would a girl wearing one be weird? I spent a little time in Utilikilts' booth, and all the pockets intrigue me. (Also the ability to snap 'em together to prevent thigh-chafe)

i wondered the same thing. there are photos on the site of some ladies wearing them (and looking super awesome), but they advise that ladies only buy them if they can try them on at a retail location first because they are cut for men and they don't do returns through the website.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    A kilt worn properly, by someone who can pull off the look, is fine by me and doesn't stand out as anything unusual. Like shorts though, make sure to get some sun first; nobody wants to be blinded why glaring white legs. :P Like any fashion it's the whole package that makes it come together. I think it comes down to the right shoes (boots look good to me) and something that ends up looking right at the waist. It just looks weird not seeing a sporran but even a good belt can suffice and Dya didn't look out of place at all with his utility pack; without at least a belt though it just looks wrong to me.

From my standpoint I associate kilts with, naturally, Scottish and Irish historical warriors, so I think any guy wearing a kilt should be confident and look like he could handle any situation that comes up. I think this is why Enforcers tend to be able to pull it off so well because they are just naturally more inclined towards those traits.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Having glaring white legs just completes the authentic kilt experience!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png