As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conspicuous Consumerism / Christmas Cashflow Considerations

• TamTam Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Yukira wrote:
    @Rolo the GeForce 560ti cards are decent and below $300. I'm gonna probably be getting the Core i5 2500K with a board and ram soon as well. Which board are you looking at?

Yeah I'm looking at a 560ti or maybe a 6950, but I'm waiting on the new fall refresh cards to see if there's price drops.

Board I'm not too sure about, I'm still waffling on getting something that supports Crossfire/SLI or if I should just save money on something with just a single x16 PCI Express 2.0 slot.

when do you expect this fall refresh to be rolomancer?

I too wish to wait for prices to fall

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    FlatEric joked about there being a N7 onesie

now I want a N7 onesie

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    I would settle for just working at a place where they do that for no particular reason at all.

Hey guys, let's build a lot of useless stuff today!

OK!

Nothing. Matters.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I really really want an N7 hoodie still

That, a new monitor and a kitchenaid stand mixer arethe three things I want for Christmas. It's a rare year, considering I'm usually very indecisive when people ask me what I'd like for birthday/christmas

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

all
    Tam wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    Yukira wrote:
    @Rolo the GeForce 560ti cards are decent and below $300. I'm gonna probably be getting the Core i5 2500K with a board and ram soon as well. Which board are you looking at?

Yeah I'm looking at a 560ti or maybe a 6950, but I'm waiting on the new fall refresh cards to see if there's price drops.

Board I'm not too sure about, I'm still waffling on getting something that supports Crossfire/SLI or if I should just save money on something with just a single x16 PCI Express 2.0 slot.

when do you expect this fall refresh to be rolomancer?

I too wish to wait for prices to fall

Well, it's all up to TSMC, the original date was July for the new 28mm GPUs, but the yields so far have been horrible. They pushed the "earliest available quantities" launch to September, but that means if they do launch this month it will almost certainly be a paper launch (as in reviewers will get cards, but nothing to be found in stores to buy). If it is a paper launch, they might not bother lowering prices on the old cards at all.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Javen wrote:
    That, a new monitor and a kitchenaid stand mixer arethe three things I want for Christmas. It's a rare year, considering I'm usually very indecisive when people ask me what I'd like for birthday/christmas

I tend to be the same to the point where I will ask people what price range they are considering so I can make a fair suggestion.

My mom started to hate me when I was twelve because I would budget my Christmas list according to whatever price she would set.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    well shit

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    buying 100 dyson fanless fans

everybody kickstart me $500 000

That's pretty much all I could think of while watching that.

"This is an awesome waste of a lot of money"

• Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    buying 100 dyson fanless fans

everybody kickstart me $500 000

shit, go for a couple billion and make a dyson fan powered airline.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Been following this Nike story all morning. It actually makes me want to go back in time and convince myself to major in footwear-related journalism, just for the experience described in the OP.

If the shoes are even somewhat affordable, I'd like to own them. Outside of Halloween, I can't really see myself wearing them much though. Maybe for the first week. More of a collector's item.

I already have a very comfortable (and expensive) pair of KSO Treks, and I don't see myself converting back to a normal shoe style on a regular basis.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote:
    Been following this Nike story all morning. It actually makes me want to go back in time and convince myself to major in footwear-related journalism, just for the experience described in the OP.

If the shoes are even somewhat affordable, I'd like to own them. Outside of Halloween, I can't really see myself wearing them much though. Maybe for the first week. More of a collector's item.

I already have a very comfortable (and expensive) pair of KSO Treks, and I don't see myself converting back to a normal shoe style on a regular basis.

The number people keep throwing around for the price is $1,000

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Tam wrote:
    well shit

At least we'll get to read the Tom's Hardware reviews until they finally release that one super high end card at $700!

yeah the only reason I could see myself spending $1000 on shoes is to turn around and ebay them for more money than I spent

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I should probably get some new clothes but I kind of want to wait, especially since anything outside of basic jeans and tees needs to be made. That said, I will be getting my jeans hemmed. There is this place where it can be done well and cheaply. It is ways off but the area is cheaper in general, so maybe I can pick up some eyeshadows, nail lacquers and lipsticks while I am there, they cost less than they would buying them here. Going to get some new sneakers sometime soon too.

Muse are you away at school right now?

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote:
    Jimothy wrote:

The number people keep throwing around for the price is $1,000

I keeping reading this and maybe if they'd stop throwing it around it won't end up being true.

Please?

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Not yet. Once there I will probably buy a few more things. I am thinking of getting a little plant for the dorm, and maybe a poster because I am not bringing that many things, and certainly no decorations.

Once there I will look into a tailor/dressmaker. If their prices are comparable to the dressmaker I have now I may as well have some things made for me, otherwise I will commission things on the occasions that I return home for visits. But I certainly did not want anything made until I am in college long enough to get a feel for the weather. I haven't spades of disposable income so I don't like having things made for me that I can not expect to wear without regularity. And I don't want to commission something that will make me look too overdressed as compared to my peers.

Oh we are thinking of going up to my shoe place to pick up some new things. Currently I only own heels from them. I looked at their catalogue and they have very nice new selections.

BROOKE.jpg
    AMBLE.jpg
    CODY.jpg

Those look so comfy for walking. They all start at $70 though :(

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I don't know Muse...

If you wear jeans and a T-shirt you may already be over-dressed compared to a lot of the freshmen female fashion I can remember.

Rolo wrote:
    yeah the only reason I could see myself spending $1000 on shoes is to turn around and ebay them for more money than I spent

I would be tempted to buy two pair at that price, then ebay one to pay for the other. If they play the scarcity game with these, I could seem the secondary market exploding.

I refuse to get into speculative market games about funky high-top sneakers based on time travelling 80s movies.

I already got burned on those Reebok Highlander II official running shoes.

There can only be RUN.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    these shoes

FFM4106210_main?$FossilAsset_pdpdetail$

I want them

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I bought an N7 sweatshirt. Unfortunately, not a hoodie, but I couldn't say no to a 50% discount.

Um, I bought this and this recently because of the coffee discussion in the Tea thread. Both should arrive tomorrow, then I'm making fresh coffee this weekend.

• faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote:
    ]Um, I bought this and this recently because of the coffee discussion in the Tea thread. Both should arrive tomorrow, then I'm making fresh coffee this weekend.

Nice. I bought this as a result of the tea thread. And it is great.

faits.png
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    I don't know Muse...

If you wear jeans and a T-shirt you may already be over-dressed compared to a lot of the freshmen female fashion I can remember.

Uggs.

Uggs everywhere.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Ughs

jaziek wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    I don't know Muse...

Uggs.

Uggs everywhere.

My four years of college, each new class of freshmen girls became sluttier & sluttier. Like some weird de-evolution of class.

Nothing but Uggs and PINK sweatpants everywhere.

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Since I've started working at Best Buy, I have started to dread Boxing Day and Midnight Launches

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    I am thinking of ordering a wolf of the year shirt off the pa store
    also, a new desk possibly?

some v neck shirts?
    a cheap HDTV would be cool.

also, a job

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    LTM wrote:

JUICY

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Since I've started working at Best Buy, I have started to dread Boxing Day and Midnight Launches

I went to the midnight launch for wrath of the lich king. It was pretty boss.

I can't imagine caring enough about anything else to ever go to one again.

Maybe a film showing or something though.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    LTM wrote:

I seem to remember absolutely, skin tight work-out pants being the "in-thing" last year.

Freshmen girls would purposefully try to look like they just came from the gym.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Apparently hotmail doesn't want to work with firefox anymore.

I guess it's the only way they can get people to load up IE though...

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I was actually looking forward to not buying new clothes for a while

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:
    jaziek wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    I don't know Muse...

Uggs.

Uggs everywhere.

My four years of college, each new class of freshmen girls became sluttier & sluttier. Like some weird de-evolution of class.
    energy domes everywhere

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I would buy them Nikes if they were like seventy bucks but yeah 1000 is a little steep
    Hopefully they have a few slightly cheaper runs at some point because my iPath mids in black/purple are quite comfy for the time being

• MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote:

My mom started to hate me when I was twelve because I would budget my Christmas list according to whatever price she would set.

I don't think that's the only reason she hates you Zonugal.

<3

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    jaziek wrote:
    Zonugal wrote:
    I don't know Muse...

Uggs.

Uggs everywhere.

energy domes everywhere

I'd bang a slutty girl wearing a energy dome hat

is that a fetish

(probably)

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Zonugal wrote:
    LTM wrote:

I seem to remember absolutely, skin tight work-out pants being the "in-thing" last year.

Freshmen girls would purposefully try to look like they just came from the gym.

JshWE.jpg

really girl tights are not pants

This discussion has been closed.