As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitty-Two, Mo'fuggas!

Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's StockingNorth PoleRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Graphic Violence
52 MAN

DISCUSS

SUMMARIES

Summary Of The Overall Series:

In March 2006, all of DC Comics' storylines jumped forward by twelve months, prominently identified as such with a cover page stylized logo under the slogan "One Year Later". 52 is being published weekly for one year and will comprise 52 issues. The series explains the events which took place during the first 12 months following Infinite Crisis in DC continuity. Creative teams will shift every story arc, with the comic using a cast of characters whose stories will be told nowhere else, to encourage curious fans to pick up the comic. There will be six or more independent storylines which will occasionally cross over, and will touch upon nearly every aspect of the post-Infinite Crisis universe. Every character from every series will be seen during the course of the series. The main narrative will be divided into six arcs.

WEEK ONE:

[spoiler:8ef14dee5b]Opens with Ralph Dibny sitting in the middle of his destroyed home, holding a gun from one of his cases. He's talking to someone on the phone about the events of Infinite Crisis. He mentions the memorial for Superboy. Then we cut to Booster Gold fighting some guy named Mammoth. Skeets is promoting him to the crowd, and he's all nascar'd up. He is using advance knowledge from his future to fight crime and become popular. Some kids ask him if it's true Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are dead. He tells them he's sure they're not. He then goes on to talk with Skeets about the next day, which according to his records, is the day the Big Three return, announce the new Justice League, and invite him to join. Meanwhile, Steel is cleaning up Metropolis, and his daughter leaves to meet with the Titans. Steel demands that she stay to help the rescue effort, but she refuses. He decides she hasn't earned her armor, and shuts it down. He tells her if she wants her own armor, she'll have to build it herself.
Meanwhile, Black Adam returns to Khandaq. He gives a speech about his and Khandaq's mission to right the evils of the world. The Themiscrya (sic) Embassy is turned into the Khandaq embassy. A suicide bomber is in the crowd, rejecting Black Adam's ideas and his people. Before he can set off the bomb, BA rips his arm off, telling him he has "three more chances to tell me who sent you".

Back to Ralph, who is contemplating suicide when he gets a call from the funeral home who buried his wife. He has the gun in his mouth when he is told that there seems to be a message left on her tombstone.

The day of the memorial, and the unveiling of the statue of Superman and Superboy, the heroes are all gathered, talking about events and who survived. Bart Allen mentions that Wally and his wife and their twins are all fine, and that they are spending some time away. How they'll get back without the speed force is not explained, but Flash duties are left to Jay Garrick, for the moment. Finally, the moment when the Big Three are supposed to show up arrives, but they don't. Skeets flips out, as does Booster, who while being restrained hits a man who says "They're not coming." He asks, "How do you know that?" and it's revealed to be Clark Kent, with a bloody nose. He responds, "I just do."

In Gotham City, Renee Montoya (who has been getting hammered pretty steadily through the book), makes her way home to her apartment, and finds a breakup note from her girlfriend. She continues to get soused, when suddenly a light shines through her window. The Question, who has replaced the bat on the bat-signal with a question mark, is shining the light directly at her. He asks, "Are you ready?"[/spoiler:8ef14dee5b]

END WEEK ONE

WEEK TWO:

[spoiler:8ef14dee5b]Opens, again with Ralph Dibny. This time he's examining his wife Sue's tombstone, and photographing the message that was left there. It is not revealed at this time. We then cut to the home of Dr. Magnus, creator of the metal men, who is fixing up Skeet-skeet-skeets after his whole time anamoly flip-out. They act like he's big shit and he says the only reason anyone thinks he's big shit is because the person who is really big shit is in jail. He goes to visit Mr. Big Shit himself, T. O. Morrow, and it's revealed he visits once a week. They talk for awhile, and Mr. Morrow reveals that someone is rounding up "mad scientists". On to Renee Montoya's apartment, where she's all wrapped up with some chick, and they're both in their underwear, which is SO HOT. Then The Question shows up, picks up a pair of panties and asks Renee "Who are you?" Which prompts her to shoot him a lot and her dumb blond fuckbuddy to flip out. Then he disappears. Renee finds a note with the address "520 Kane St." (there's some subtle reference for ya) Back to Booster the Nascar Superhero, who is being informed by skeets that a plane is about to crash and it will approach from the north. But it approaches from the south, instead, which almost fucks everything up. But he saves it, anyway, and yells at Skeets, who says it must be a residual glitch, but that flight 2824 is safe now. However, a flight numbered 2428 crashed and killed hundreds. So we go back to Boozy McDykefest, and she's ruminating over Mr. No-Face. She decides to go meet with him. She shows up and the place is a dump. Which is pretty much what the Question says as he materializes behind her. She attacks him, but he tosses her into some trashcans. Take that, bitch. Then he offers her a job, gives her some money, and takes off. Then we're in some weird ass church, where some chick is praying to a statue that looks like someone stole an Oscar and painted the superman logo on it. it's being broadcast over the internet, and some other wackos are praying too. The head wacko is revealed to be Wonder Girl. Ralph shows up, and accuses her of leaving the message on the tombstone, which is then revealed to be an upside-down superman logo. In krypton, the S emblem means "hope", but inverted it means "resurrection".[/spoiler:8ef14dee5b]

END WEEK TWO

WEEK THREE:

[spoiler:8ef14dee5b]Begins in Gotham City, at night. (I don't think it's ever daytime in Gotham City.) There's apparently been a murder, and they called down Maggie Sawyer. The victim is apparently Lex Luthor. Cut to Power Girl, who is fighting some lameass on a flying metal thing named Terra-Man over Northeast Africa. I have no idea who this fuckbox is, but he thinks he's a cowboy. Anyway they fight for a bit, until Black Adam shows up and stops Power Girl. He tells her he won't tolerate her fighting over Khandaq airspace. He asks her how many people died during the Crisis. She says she doesn't know, she guesses millions. Black Adam informs her that 5,079,432 people died. He must have a badass accountant. Anyway, he tells her he won't allow any more innocent deaths, but he does not forgive trespasses. He tells her to "tell her friends" and vanishes. Then to the Irons household, where Natasha informs her father that she's not on the list for the Future Tech Colloquium, whatever the hell that is. He tells her she isn't allowed to go because she'll be in school. She tells him school has ended and she passed, but he tells her that she got a D in English and that is not good enough. She gets pissed and storms out. Then John gets a call from S.T.A.R. Labs, saying they need his help identifying a body.
Then on to Ira--I mean, Khandaq, where Black Adam is informed he has visitors. They're from Intergang, and they bring him two million dollars in african gold and a young blindfolded lady who is apparently the most beautiful virgin in all of egypt. Apparently they want to traffic illegal weapons through Khandaq. At this point beautiful virgin girl struggles to break free from the asshole guys, but they catch her. They ask what his answer is. He crushes the guy holding the girl's head. He tells them the answer is no. Terra-man shows up and says he likes Black Adam's style. Back to Metropolis, and Booster is fighting some dude named Shockwave, who, again, I have never heard of. (How many of these rejects does DC have?) Anyways, he beats up the robot while Skeets pimps him to the people of Metropolis. He then discovers he won a bet on a ball game that he had future knowledge of the outcome on. He then goes to a press conference to announce his sponsorship by Akteon-Holt, a pharmaceutical company. During the party afterwards the CEO gets busted for securites fraud. Booster gets pissed at Skeets again, and tells him to find a guy named Rip Hunter. Now we're at Star Labs, where John Henry Irons is performing an autopsy on "Lex Luthor". They find contacts on him,and John guesses that were put there by the real Lex postmortem. The real Lex then shows up himself with a bunch of reporters, and explains to them that the dead lex was from another reality. Then we go to the Khandaq embassy in New York, where Black Adam shows up with Terra-Man. He says he is looking for allies that will help him send a message to those who are looking to take advantage of the disappearance of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. He says the first message is that people like Terra-Man do not deserve to live, and promptly rips him in half. He says it's time for heroes who do not just patrol the world, but who change it. The worm Dr. Sivana was talking to in week one is shown to be in a cocoon.[/spoiler:8ef14dee5b]

END WEEK THREE

xmassig2.gif
Kuribo's Shoe on

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    and I'm stealing the first post for more summaries once my edit space runs out

so take that

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    29.jpg

Ya know, I think one of my favourite things with him on Justice League was his apparent love of pop music.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I just want him to take on the riddler, so that issue will win the award for most question marks of the year.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    It should be an issue of them playing each other at Mario Bros.

question blocks.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I just want him to take on the riddler, so that issue will win the award for most question marks of the year.

That is brilliant beyond belief. Curse the Bat-Embargo!

I believe it's been said before, but they really need a new DCAU show focusing on all the B and C listers, with The Question in a starring role. Do we dare hope for such fanservice?

Nah. It won't happen.

EDIT: Damn. In retrospect, you were talking about the comics. That was very stupid of me.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    that'd be a bitchin' cartoon too, though.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    the real Question is, will Booster Gold come out of the closet?

Cariblue on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    29.jpg

Ya know, I think one of my favourite things with him on Justice League was his apparent love of pop music.

I love that episode.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

Riddlerv.jpg

Yeah, it wasn't that good.

Sidenote: One of my favorite comic moments was whenever Impulse was going up against the Riddler and said something like, "What happened to you? You used to be a good guy!" Riddler is baffled for a moment before screaming, "I am not the Question!"

Munch on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Allready slammed down the Benjamin for the subscription, I'm quite excited. It's allways nice to see the focus on the non-"Big Guns" characters.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    the 52 website is awesome too.

http://www.52thecomic.com

they have a pdf of a Traitorous Person Sighting report.

hehe, TPS reports.

http://www.dccomics.com/sites/52/media/premiums/DEO_TPS_report.pdf

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Im glad that they seem to be going towards more of the original / JLU version of The Question versus the Rick Veitch version (which was still a great read by the way).

On another note, Im curious as to what happens during the "Batman and the Bat Kids Fun in the Sun Year Long 'Bat'tacular". Camping? Fishing trips? Third World prisons?

Montoya lesbian love?

Batwoman?

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2006
    Isn't the Question an objectivist?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I was going to do the $100 subscription but it was too late. So now I'm going to do the normal $24 one which I think will make me pay around $5 more overall.

Lux on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    52_1_5.jpg

I'm looking forward to this. Waid, Morrison, Johns, and Rucka messing around in a gigantic sandbox?

The only thing that will kill my buzz for this project is if it starts shipping late. Fingers crossed.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    Isn't the Question an objectivist?

Yes, he was created by Steve Ditko who was a big time Objectivist.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Woo, first issue today.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Picked it up - I would suggest people NOT use this as a jumping on point for DC, as I was fairly confused.

Great art tho...

[/code]

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • Options
    yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Week 1, Day 5, first panel:

[spoiler:eb7e9d25f4]It's the corner of Siegel and Shuster[/spoiler:eb7e9d25f4]

yourspaceholiday on
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Cariblue wrote:

Yeah seriou... HEY!

Green Lantern on
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Should be getting to tommorow. Im in it for Question of course, but I want to know whats going on with Booster. Ted's death seemed to have effected him and he went nack to his future for a bit to learn some history, but now he's shilling out again. I thought he would have developed from that.

Azrael on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Azrael wrote:
    Should be getting to tommorow. Im in it for Question of course, but I want to know whats going on with Booster. Ted's death seemed to have effected him and he went nack to his future for a bit to learn some history, but now he's shilling out again. I thought he would have developed from that.

I'm guessing that he's now using his corporate sponsorship to fund his crime-fighting.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2006
    Cariblue wrote:

There's enough gayness in 52 already.

That's meant to be taken literally by the way.

Week One was pretty good.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Azrael wrote:

I'm guessing that he's now using his corporate sponsorship to fund his crime-fighting.

Couldnt he have just memorised the stock markets?

Azrael on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Azrael wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Azrael wrote:

That's too much numbers.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Well, week one's pretty good, but Booster seems to have had any character growth in the past ten years or so thrown out the window, and he's basically just acting like a glory-hounding dick. Besides that though, it's a pretty strong start.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Azrael wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Azrael wrote:

That's too much numbers.

but the robot does the memorizing

[spoiler:6129326ec7]TAKE THE SHOT IT'S YOUR HOWITZER[/spoiler:6129326ec7]

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    CariblueCariblue Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Booster has gone bonkers.

[spoiler:3be669acb7]and we here Wally, Linda and the twins are fine too, so thats good[/spoiler:3be669acb7]

also is this thread ok to say spoilers, without spoilerizing them?

Cariblue on
  • Options
    RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm not sure it's thesame Booster. I think that as a result of the New Earth thing, previous Booster was erased.

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    the summary's up.

Needs more Question, thinks I.

I hope nothing's out of order, I left my fucking copy at work. Read it about 8 times though.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Rociel wrote:
    I'm not sure it's thesame Booster. I think that as a result of the New Earth thing, previous Booster was erased.

I swear, New Earth and continuity waves being used for senseless character ressurections, regressions, and personality shifts are starting to annoy me. Still, I sincerely doubt that they'd go that route. Mark Waid, Keith Giffen, and Grant Morrison give me hope, if nothing else.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    from his information, the heroes never found brother eye and everything got all fucked up. or did it change like in back to the future? at any rate, I think he was being a cockmunch because he figured he could afford to be with the knowledge he had.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Rociel wrote:

I swear, New Earth and continuity waves being used for senseless character ressurections, regressions, and personality shifts are starting to annoy me. Still, I sincerely doubt that they'd go that route. Mark Waid, Keith Giffen, and Grant Morrison give me hope, if nothing else.

Why would the Booster we all know and love be erased by the "New Earth" restart? As far as I know, it's still the same Booster.

Great read overall though.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    I thought the reason Booster came back in time in the first place was to become a superstar.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    How is the Question being characterized in 52? Zen? Objectivist? Levels of violences? I have Questions!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    He hasn't really done anything yet.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    gleep glorpgleep glorp Registered User new member
    edited May 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Well, week one's pretty good, but Booster seems to have had any character growth in the past ten years or so thrown out the window, and he's basically just acting like a glory-hounding dick. Besides that though, it's a pretty strong start.

What the hell are you talking about? He's always been a jerk. A lovable, commercial whore. Even as he matured and mellowed, he still had those qualities. I wouldn't want Booster any other way. Seems like you have ten years worth of rereading to do.

gleep glorp on
    greep grolp
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    am I the only one who just realized today that question, booster, and montoya are batman superman and ww analogues

because i felt like a dumbass when that occurred to me

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    gleep glorpgleep glorp Registered User new member
    edited May 2006
    Steel seems to be the Superman analogue. Booster is Booster. It seems to be Steel, Question and Black Adam for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Booster, Renee and Ralph are the three "flawed" heroes.

gleep glorp on
    greep grolp
This discussion has been closed.