As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

500 - Internal Server Error

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I'm easily getting at least 10 of these every time I visit PA.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Is it just me, or is this "500 error" getting worse? Before it would happen maybe twice a day and a simple reload would fix it. Now I get it like every ten clicks and reloading or hitting back, etc. doesn't seem to fix it right away. I had the impression that this would all be sorted out when the forums were moved to the new hardware, which I though happened a few weeks ago. Am I wrong?

E3. The forums are under serious load right now, and something delayed the switch-over, so we're still on the old hardware.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Triple B wrote:
    <insert refund joke here>

Henroid on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Henroid wrote:
    Triple B wrote:

:|

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Who the hell is Lord Buttfag? :wink:

Henroid on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    Triple B wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Triple B wrote:

:|
    He's right you know, Triple B

you haven't paid a damned penny for this forum

you should be glad you can read and post in it

Not that it entitles us, but you do realize some of us have paid into the site, right? Back when PA accepted donations, and we even got our own sub-forum for it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    The problem lies in something in the software on the box touches a bad piece of ram, causing the connection between the instance of the webserver and the PHP process that handles the request. The webserver takes this to mean that the server handlign the PHP processes is dead, and says 'Okay, I'll retry again in 30 seconds' Now the server the PHP processes are on, and the webserver are one and the same, but the webserver doesn't know that.
    That is a magic number hardcoded into the webserver, to fix it would require me to go into the webserver source and fix it to not wait 30 seconds, but immediatly try to recreate the connection, and then I would take the poll time down to ~5 seconds. I'm not above doing that, infact, I've done similar things for PA before, but recompiling a webserver application on broken hardware is a very tedious thing, as about half way through the rebuild, the machine will lock.
    Couldn't you just pop down the shop and get some replacement RAM or something?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    The problem lies in something in the software on the box touches a bad piece of ram, causing the connection between the instance of the webserver and the PHP process that handles the request. The webserver takes this to mean that the server handlign the PHP processes is dead, and says 'Okay, I'll retry again in 30 seconds' Now the server the PHP processes are on, and the webserver are one and the same, but the webserver doesn't know that.
    That is a magic number hardcoded into the webserver, to fix it would require me to go into the webserver source and fix it to not wait 30 seconds, but immediatly try to recreate the connection, and then I would take the poll time down to ~5 seconds. I'm not above doing that, infact, I've done similar things for PA before, but recompiling a webserver application on broken hardware is a very tedious thing, as about half way through the rebuild, the machine will lock.

Gee, I'm sure he hadn't thought of that. You're hired, genius.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

Pretty sure the server is locked up in a nice colo-center somewhere thousands of miles from alpha. Even if it was in the same city as he is, he wouldn't have physical access to it anyway, unless he gave a handjob to the security guard outside the door.

SeñorAmor on
  • Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    i think its party time for 500 interal server errors or something... ive gotten 3 in the past half an hour (and i mean 3 individual, ive refreshed probably 50 times to get rid of each)

edit: make that 6

Gotcha Force on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    D:

I have gotten like 50 errors in the past hour, and thats not the number of refreshes, thats the number of individual errors.

Its like theres an Internal Server Error Orgy and everyone is invited.

Lucky Cynic on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I've had a lot all day, and then the site was timing out for a few hours. Still, I am very thankful for all of the hard work alphamonkey does.

DouglasDanger on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I just got one.

Make that two.

Make that three.

Looks like the new hardware isn't helping much.

deadonthestreet on
  • Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I just got one.

Make that two.

Make that three.

Same here D:

Carl with a K on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Nope different error 500.
    This is progress, though it doesn't look like it.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I just got one.

Make that two.

Make that three.

same

O BOY O BOY!!!!

EDIT: AWESOME WHEN I WENT TO SUBMIT I GOT ANOTHER ONE!!

dreams do come true

edit2: 500 internal error is still saying YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!!!!

EDIT #40529871:
    awesome on my way to 3 other threads in monkey den after making this post i just got denied by a flood of 500 server errors for 2 of the threads!

its like christmas time!!!

Gotcha Force on
    edited May 2006
    I know I know. I'm attached to the php process in gdb right now waiting for another 500 to occur.

Älphämönkëy on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    hope your still attached to them.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I know I know. I'm attached to the php process in gdb right now waiting for another 500 to occur.
    Hunt it down Alpha. Hunt it down and destroy it like the dog it is.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
    edited May 2006
    Gotcha Force, stupid being such a whinning baby.

Henroid on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Looking clear so far. Good job.

jothki on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    They is back :(

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    Yeah, they're back in full force.

I don't envy your job, Alpha, but I sure as hell appreciate your work.

Like I said before, if you manage to fix this stuff, I'll buy you a burrito the size of your leg at PAX.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    It's kind of funny how many 500 server errors I got trying to get to this page.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited May 2006

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • SlandererSlanderer Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Imran wrote:

I got like 12 in a row trying to open the last page of this thread.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
    Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
    Wii Code: 1231 4448 8299 3147 ((Send me a PM and come join the party))
  • IonMageIonMage Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I too am getting them once again.

Ironically, I got a record amount of them trying to get to this topic. Wasnt keeping track, but I think this one may be the record holder.

IonMage on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I haven't been getting them for the last few minutes.

Sarksus on
  • The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    FYI, Alpha.

I just got these two errors multiple times on the main page about 10 minutes ago around 2240Zulu.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Angelarms/PAerror01.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Angelarms/PAerror02.jpg

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Errors seem to be clearing up for me. Forum is running damn fast now too. Crossing my apendages that its fixed.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I was getting so many earlier I assumed the forums were down.

Still, progress is progress.

And if I ever meet you Alpha*, the drinks are on me**

*Without the use of a night-vision scope.
    **Not literally. What, are you dense or something?

ben0207 on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    i want to echo the appreciative statements too.

Cheers Alpha, if you're ever in town, the first round's on me

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited May 2006
    Hey All. Rumor has it the forums were down for a bit tonight. My appologies. I'm activly looking for a permanent fix.

Älphämönkëy on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    They seem to be taking a break *knocks wood*, but for most of the day I couldn't even get past the 500 errors to read the forums let alone post.

-SPI- on
    edited May 2006
    Thank goodness for backup forums!

>.>

Odd how the forums went down when I was making a post. Think it'll happen again? GAMBLE!

Henroid on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Everyone I see at PAX in this shirt gets a to share in a cruel group laugh at the expense of a webmaster who's lived a three-month-long server maintenance nightmare.

Edit: Joke's on me. Now Cafepress is having server problems. Once they're back up, I'll repost the link.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited May 2006
    :P

In other news I applied some configuration changes to try and fix the elusive error 500. Here is to hoping :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Alpha: If you're coming to PAX, let me know! I'll buy you a shirt.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited May 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    Alpha: If you're coming to PAX, let me know! I'll buy you a shirt.
    Ha! I'm game. I'll tell you what, you buy me the shirt and I'll wear it all day on Saturday. Deal?

Älphämönkëy on