As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is now a new [STEAM] thread to post in

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    I seem to be in my usual dilemma of wondering what game to play next from my bank. I'm wavering between Red Faction: Guerrilla, Thief: Deadly Shadows, or The Longest Journey. What should I go for? Advice appreciated!

Also, Civ V. Do I grab it now or wait until it is even cheaper. If it was just £2.50 less I'd be all over it, but I have some sort of mental upper limit. Steam has trained me to not buy anything above £5. This is both a good and bad thing!

steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The Longest Journey

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Longest Journey is probably the better game of the lot. Thief 3 is pretty fun. You can play RF:G in spurts, on those random days you just want to go around being a space asshole.

edit: sir carcass is a gent of classy opinions too

Zxerol on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ashe wrote:
    I seem to be in my usual dilemma of wondering what game to play next from my bank. I'm wavering between Red Faction: Guerrilla, Thief: Deadly Shadows, or The Longest Journey. What should I go for? Advice appreciated!

Also, Civ V. Do I grab it now or wait until it is even cheaper. If it was just £2.50 less I'd be all over it, but I have some sort of mental upper limit. Steam has trained me to not buy anything above £5. This is both a good and bad thing!

a) Get Civ V now. It's very good, and well worth that extra £2.50, especially given the kind of time you've put into Civ IV
    b) I'd go with Thief 3 from that list, but if you're in an adventure mood, Beyond Good & Evil still holds up very well, and is whimsically fun.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Roshin wrote:
    I've got a bunch of pre order TF2 items if anyone wants to trade them for a game/games whatever, I dont really play TF2.

Same thing here. I think my "big" items are Bill's hat, the wingstick, the dragonborn helmet, the pip-boy, and the Deus Ex stuff.

@elimination and @roshin what games are you looking for? Do either of you have the Monday night combat stuff?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Well I did a search and couldn't find anything other than some Humble Indie Bundle references, anyone have a good source of info for Revenge of the Titans? I'm having trouble trying to figure out what build path I have to do. I have found an optimal build for base defense already, but since i have no clue what certain things do, I don't know what I need to acquire in order to be ready for ghosts, and other situational enemies by the time I start seeing them.

camo_sig.png
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Can i get invite to the Steam group? Steam name Seedudders. Also, holy shit Dungeons of Dredmore, can you be any more charming?!

Finally, is anyone desperate for Mac Earbuds (tf2 item)?

hadoken on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ashe wrote:
    I'll diverge and suggest that you delve into RF:G. Just be ready to fight off G4WL's awful bullshit. As far as I'm concerned nothing's really caught up to its satisfying 'break everything into small pieces' mentality. It's also a purveyor of fun little moments where you break through some old shooter conventions that might still be stuck in your brain. Things like, "walls matter". They do not, because 95% of the time you can elect to go right through them.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Entriech wrote:
    Ashe wrote:
    I'll diverge and suggest that you delve into RF:G. Just be ready to fight off G4WL's awful bullshit. As far as I'm concerned nothing's really caught up to its satisfying 'break everything into small pieces' mentality. It's also a purveyor of fun little moments where you break through some old shooter conventions that might still be stuck in your brain. Things like, "walls matter". They do not, because 95% of the time you can elect to go right through them.

If you go the RF:G route, I'd recommend playing with a trainer for unlimited health and ammo. The game tries hard to stop you from having fun, but that will fix it.

But seriously, The Longest Journey.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Easy difficulty is enough for RF:G. Then again my playthrough might have been a bit easier than usual because I always used the best weapon in the game: Truck.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote:
    Well I did a search and couldn't find anything other than some Humble Indie Bundle references, anyone have a good source of info for Revenge of the Titans? I'm having trouble trying to figure out what build path I have to do. I have found an optimal build for base defense already, but since i have no clue what certain things do, I don't know what I need to acquire in order to be ready for ghosts, and other situational enemies by the time I start seeing them.

I want to know this too. Those stupid ghost...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote:
    Easy difficulty is enough for RF:G. Then again my playthrough might have been a bit easier than usual because I always used the best weapon in the game: Truck.

The last time I played this game I was happily using that weapon when all of a sudden my truck got flipped. I was in the middle of crashing through poles for some mission to get out of the tutorial zone. so I hop out, start hitting my truck with a hammer to flip it over and then a nonstop barrage of enemy trucks crash into me for 5 minutes before I die. it was like a blues brother's crash sequence. I think the character I was playing started weeping as more and more trucks crashed into me standing around trying to flip my car back over. That game scarred me for vehicle segments.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, switching to easy in RF:G is probably the way to go. Although I actually stuck with it on normal until I got to the last major zone. I probably should have dropped it down a notch sooner.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote:
    übergeek wrote:

I want to know this too. Those stupid ghost...

Perhaps this will help.

Gentlemen, I present to you the Revenge of the Titans wiki!

It's still not complete, but I checked and the answer to your question is there.

Also, I think I will play some RotT today!

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Guerrilla really is a game where fucking around is a few orders of magnitude more entertaining than actually playing the game proper. I never actually finished the game because I stopped giving a damn very quickly in.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Limited ammo was one of the things that bugged me in RF:G. I'd pick up a reload of explosives and gleefully fling them around, set up some raw destruction at key points on a building, detonate and... have to go knocking down walls with my hammer to finish the structure off, because I was out of said explosives.

Don't get me wrong; proving to be the son of Odin in mortal form was entertaining at times, but sometimes I just wanted to play amature wrecking crew and a truck wasn't immediately available.

I should pick that game up again sometime soon.

Edit: what Zxerol said.

And RotT is pretty awesome, but I hit a point on like the 4th or 5th planet where I just felt I couldn't fend off everything at once cost effectively while questioning my tech tree choices and sort of lost interest. It's fun, especially when you get the perfect layout of turrets going, but even with a rush to the thing that lets your regular turrets hit ghosts I found it eventually became a bit of an annoying struggle to throw down enough refineries and what few cloaks you had to scrounge up some spare change while spending piles of cash left and right to hold off an assault from all sides.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Great advice, thanks folks. I think I'm going to get properly stuck into The Longest Journey, and resort to demolitions on Mars when I fancy a change of scenery (also, great tip about keeping it on Easy to keep up the fun factor, cheers!).

Steam thread to the rescue, problem solved!

steam_sig.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Picked up Civ V. Kinda happy the DLC is not on sale, otherwise I would have bought it too.

At least now I can be sure I'm gonna put the time in before I start snapping up extra crap.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Zxerol wrote:
    Guerrilla really is a game where fucking around is a few orders of magnitude more entertaining than actually playing the game proper. I never actually finished the game because I stopped giving a damn very quickly in.

But doing story missions unlocks more of the fantastic demolition challenges.

-SPI- on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Kid_Casual wrote:

Yeah, I saw that. I would be willing to do a trade for Civ5 and Shift 2 at those prices. That would be almost equal to what I paid for Dead Island.

Is that base game Civ5+Shift 2 you're after? Because I could muster that up.

• ThibisThibis Registered User regular
    I didn't think normal was too bad in RFG. Just don't expect to be able to keep up an assault for too long. Get in, blow shit up, get out. Guerilla tactics! For example, have a cluster of buildings to take out? Take out one or two and bolt. Compound surrounded by a wall? Maybe blow a giant, say, truck sized hole in the wall and take down a guard tower and retreat. Come back later to finish the job.

Do yourself a favour though and fully upgrade the arc welder as soon as you can. It can stun/kill groups of guys, won't hurt civilians (when upgraded) and can kill drivers without damaging vehicles. It makes the "bust a dude out of jail" missions about a hundred times better.

steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If this scene doesn't make you want Rock of Ages you don't have a soul.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    holy crap. I just realized I don't think I am in the steam group 0.o /boggle. could someone toss me an invite please.

camo_sig2.png
    I have no idea what that game is about... I assume ball on ball combat but that scene was awesome. Poor Belmont family. Never stood a chance.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote:
    So, does anyone know whose Steam ID is Nairume? They won my raffle, but I'm not recognizing the name, and they're not part of any PA Steamgroups, and I didn't recognize any of you guys on their friends list either.

And relating to that, does anyone know what sort of penalty there is for not fulfilling the raffle? Because if it's just a random lurker, I'm not sure I want to send it their way. Kind of a glaring weakness in even using steamgifts for our own community though, which is a pity.
    Nairume's me. Sorry I hadn't responded yet. I've been off doing school stuff for the better part of the day and just now saw the notice on the SteamGifts site.

I also keep forgetting to ask for an invite to the PA group D:

Alright. I'm willing to throw it your way then. Even though you're mostly a lurker, the posts you do make don't center around sales and free things, so I'm good with that.

But you should totally be more active, because we're cool peoples. :p

Just accept my friend invite on Steam and I'll send the game your way.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    Forar wrote:
    And RotT is pretty awesome, but I hit a point on like the 4th or 5th planet where I just felt I couldn't fend off everything at once cost effectively while questioning my tech tree choices and sort of lost interest. It's fun, especially when you get the perfect layout of turrets going, but even with a rush to the thing that lets your regular turrets hit ghosts I found it eventually became a bit of an annoying struggle to throw down enough refineries and what few cloaks you had to scrounge up some spare change while spending piles of cash left and right to hold off an assault from all sides.

It really shines as a game when you play a level or two in between sessions of more "serious" (or whatever) games. Try to grind your way through it and yeah, it starts to feel like Titans are trying to bash their way out of your head. I think it's because levels can require drastically different approaches, but the tendency is to try to find an optimal strategy and stick with it. So breaks in between sessions with this game allows me to come in with a fresh perspective, I'm not so attached to that new toy I just researched last time, I'm willing to go with a more basic strategy that just gets the job done.

Who knows. Maybe one day I'll even finish it.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I have no idea what that game is about... I assume ball on ball combat but that scene was awesome. Poor Belmont family. Never stood a chance.

Both players have an attack/defense phase. While your ball is being build you are in defense phase, and you set up your tower defense along a slope that leads to your castle. Destroying the ball is possible, but wasting your opponents time is just as valuable. When your ball is ready you click on it and enter attack mode and roll your ball towards your opponent's castle while evading their defensive towers.

You do damage based on how damaged your ball is. It takes three healthy rolls to knock down your opponent's gate. The player avatar is inside the castle. Squish him and you hear a squish sound and it immediately cuts to a Win Lose screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslZ6snbcdo
    This is what the xbox version is like. The PC defense tower menus are different for Steam, so it's an excellent port.

I collect action-strategy hybrids, and this one is particularly awesome. The strategies behind the defense/offense modes are surprisingly deep. If you see a shortcut on the map, its in your best interest to cut it off with generic towers. If an area is tight, you try and put wind fans to make the opponent fall more. If you use trebuchets and arrows to kill the ball, the ball will shrink and do less damage when it hits the gate. I feel that the most effective thing you can do is waste your opponents time with lots of wind and obstructionist map control.

If your ball is ready before you've spent what your willing to spend on defense, wasting time can be a terrible thing at this point. So instead, you can spend money on upgrades for your ball. You can give it a double jump, more armor, make it kill enemy structures so your next run is more peacful, and so on.

Gameplay is FAST and frantic, like a good Action/Strategy game should be. You basically want to spend all your money right when your ball is ready to go.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Why oh why must you discount MORE racing games, Steam? You know how hard it is for me to resist!

steam_sig.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Borderlands is updating!! Could this possibly be the Steamworks patch!?!

I certainly hope so.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It's just steamcloud though, not any of the in-game location meta data or matchmaking, right?

steam_sig.png
    Should be, today is the day they were supposed to roll it out.

I think I'll re-download it and check it out. If this means no more Gamespy I may just have to coop it up!

Drake wrote:
    If this means no more Gamespy I may just have to coop it up!

wait...

OHmygod

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Still gamespy. The steam stuff is just cloud saving, also they integrated a tracking thing in the game you can opt in or out of, so they can use that info in bl2.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Drake wrote:
    If this means no more Gamespy I may just have to coop it up!

wait...

OHmygod

Can they do that? OH MY, YEEEESSSS.

Edit.- Saaaad.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • kaliakalia Registered User regular
    It doesn't look to me like the update was Gamespy removal, just yet. Looks like the Gearbox Labs stuff & cloud saves.

Still gamespy. The steam stuff is just cloud saving, also they integrated a tracking thing in the game you can opt in or out of, so they can use that info in bl2.

Blarg.

This is a big part of my love/hate relationship with this game. I mean, there is a ton of fun to be had in Borderlands but for everything I love there is something I fucking despise. Worst cock-tease of a game ever. Ugh.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    So how many of you homps have picked up rock of ages? I watched the giantbomb quicklook and it made it look fantastically tense and funny, I think I'll pick it up.

I'm also just going to have to go and buy a headset for my new pc

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Drake wrote:

Blarg.

This is a big part of my love/hate relationship with this game. I mean, there is a ton of fun to be had in Borderlands but for everything I love there is something I fucking despise. Worst cock-tease of a game ever. Ugh.

I don't know. I mean, I know right at launch there were some serious issues with connectivity in the game for online multiplayer.

But since they fixed that stuff?

I know people bitch and moan about Gamespy, and it certainly isn't the best thing or the most consistent; but the frequency at which people have played together and the sheer number of hours they have (and I have too) since it came out and had the web stuff fixed means it is anything but a "cock-tease of a game". It is in fact, the full act on the cock as there are few games that are as fun and as replayable these days at all. I've played with friends and folks pretty consistantly since launch.

I won't argue that it's a perfect game because it's not. There are some lazy decisions and some poor ones, of which, I will absolutely agree that Gamespy was one of, but to be fair when they probably made that decision in development I don't think Steamworks was even a viable "thing". But it's also really clear that while Gearbox was excited about the game they made I really don't think they expected the success or fan response and continued playing to this date by so many people. I think they clearly underestimated what they had on their hands and just made some bad decisions due to it.

But it looks like many of the major complaints (bad PC port, Gamespy...uh...I think that's it really, everything else in the game, IMO is ace) is getting fixed in BL2 so blowjobs for everyone!

EDIT: I actually don't know if they will fix the miserable in-game chat the first one had. That was a serious issue, for the PC at least. But you could (via stupid methods) disable it and just use something else like Vent, or better once it came out, Steam voice chat. Hopefully the integration with BL2 and steamworks will take care of that problem, considering now your best solution is to use steamchat if you're playing on steam anyway.

EDIT EDIT: Also I just want to give extra props to Gearbox for the support they've given to the game since launch. DLCs, granted of which are of varying quality, and pretty decent patch support (they fixed most of the problems that wouldn't require some major overhauls since launch). They have continually been great in contact with fans and media and seem pretty humble and cool about what they have on their hands and how much of a "thing" the fan base made something they obviously love. Their thing at PAX was a pretty good representation of them as a company, I feel.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The list of problems I have with Borderlands is long and heartbreaking for me to drag out.

Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with the game, and I really mean it's love and hate at the same time. The shooting is shit, the movement sucks, there's all kinds of broken shit with the RPG elements... and I said I wasn't going to do this.

:( Borderlands, you are a fucking heartbreaker. I'll be playing you again though.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Well, since I can't get PoP:SoT to run without giving me a BSOD halfway through the opening cinema, I guess I'll be starting a new game this weekend. I've been on a backlog clearing attempt lately (finished off Ben There! Dan That!, VVVVVV, and And Yet It Moves all fairly recently), and I'm not sure whether or not to continue on this path. So I'll leave it up to you classy gents.

Help me pick what to play!

Deus Ex
    Far Cry
    HL2:Ep1
    Hitman:BM
    Machinarium
    The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
    Ghost Recon
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

This discussion has been closed.