As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Resurrecting anyone is going to be far-fetched. The best you can hope for is an interesting, if implausible, reason rather than a cop out.

Yeah, after Rebirth's "okay dudes Guy isnt a vuldarian anymore shut up" and Quiver's "Yeah dude, I made you form dust, how cool is that?" I think it's better to just go for broke and hope the end result's worth it. Glad neither of you hated it.

Munch on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To be fair everything that happened to Guy in the 90's was pretty retarded and best left ignored.

Furu on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    To be fair everything that happened to Guy in the 90's was pretty retarded and best left ignored.

Beau Smith is going to beat you up because he is a Man.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    that was really good Munch

i had this really awesome Jason Todd idea that did not involve punching meta-reality...

DouglasDanger on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hughtron wrote: »

A man who likes to write comics about men that turn into women.

Furu on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Beau Smith actually did a good write up about what he originally wanted to do with Warrior, versus what editorial forced him to do. He talked about how it was meant to be more of a fun, pulp-like romp with a completely unpowered Guy Gardner cracking heads. Then editorial told him that Guy needed to make weapons come out of his body, so Smith trying to compromise, asked if Guy could only pop out spears and knives and stuff, only for editorial to tell him that he needed to grow guns and rocket launchers and other such monumentally retarded things.

If I could find it I'd post it. It's a great example of how editorial interference can ruin what sounded like an interesting, cool idea.

Munch on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    blankspace wrote: »
    Here's the Namor episode on Youtube:
    Part One
    Part Two
    Part Three

Wow, I am really suprised by the quality of this. I only caught the Ant-Man episode when it was on TV and it was pretty good, but this is much better than I was expecting. They really nailed Namor.

According to Wikipedia Tony Stark/Iron Man is gonna appear in an episode soon.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Namor was a self-righteous asshole and not a "misunderstood young man."

Especially the whole "FINE. I won't attack the surface world, but gimme your woman."

EDIT: Re: The She-Hulk episode. I love the look on the scientists faces when they see the mole monster...then the magma monster shows up. Kinda like "Oh is that i-Ooooooh."

Part 2 starts on an awesome note.

The Muffin Man on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone else read Superman: Through the ages.

That comic has the most dickery I have every read.

Sharp101 on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hughtron wrote: »

A man who likes to write comics about men that turn into women.

We all need to stand well clear of Furu in case Dark Beau shows up.

*shiver*

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For all the times Namor's raided the surface world, did they ever pass stronger environmental protection laws?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For all the times Namor's raided the surface world, did they ever pass stronger environmental protection laws?

Nope... in fact, I think the US released a bunch of those plastic soda ring things that kill the dolphins into the ocean as a big fuck you to Namor.

Not to mention all the pissing. Lots and lots of pissing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

Nope... in fact, I think the US released a bunch of those plastic soda ring things that kill the dolphins into the ocean as a big fuck you to Namor.

Not to mention all the pissing. Lots and lots of pissing.

To be fair, this was back when the Avengers had people like Thor, She-Hulk and Captain America on the team, so they had more than enough muscle to tell Namor to sit and spin.

ALSO A question.

I am going to begin picking up the current JSA run. Is this a good idea? I really didn't like the Power Girl JSA Classified, but I did kind of enjoy what I saw of the last run.

The Muffin Man on
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The new JSA series is some of the finest comic reading you can do these days, just make sure you pick up the JLA Lightning Saga issues as well to complete the story thats going on now. As far as classified goes theres been a few good arcs as of late, the two Dr Mid-nite ones and the recent Alan Scott one come to mind.

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
    edited June 2007
    It's enjoyable enough, but so far character development for most of the ensemble cast has been nil. It's fine for people who have pre-existing knowledge of the roster, but others may be left wanting more of a primer.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JSA makes me want to read Hourman.

Can anyone recommend some good Hourman stories?

Ed: I feel like I've asked this before. Sorry if that's the case!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, there was a neat little 2-issue story about Hourman and his dad in JSA Classified.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does anyone know of the Morrison Omnibus of New X-Men adds anything when compared to the three hardcover volumes? Like, is it worth paying a bit extra for the Omnibus, or will the only benefit be that it cuts off all the blood to my legs under it's gigantic-ness?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Virral wrote: »
    Does anyone know of the Morrison Omnibus of New X-Men adds anything when compared to the three hardcover volumes? Like, is it worth paying a bit extra for the Omnibus, or will the only benefit be that it cuts off all the blood to my legs under it's gigantic-ness?

I bought it, because I only had the first hardcover.

And it's too fucking big.

I actually regret it.

I'd just get the three hardcovers.

august on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fair enough, thanks mate. It actually works out to be a larger difference than I first though (about $40 AUD less) for the 3 hardcovers, so I'm definitely going to go with that option.

I found the Alias Omnibus to be unfortunately large, and that has nearly half the pages of the New X-Men one, so I can certainly see why that would be a problem.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, shortpacked portrays Iron Man in a positive and rational light.

Fencingsax on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So, shortpacked portrays Iron Man in a positive and rational light.
    I don't know that going "It's not my fault! A bloo bloo bloo!" is "rational".

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does anyone know if they ever plan on making more issues of Ultimate Ironman? or did that get canned?

Inquisitor on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They are coming, but they havent been solicited yet. I think they are waiting for the mini to be done first.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    They are coming, but they havent been solicited yet. I think they are waiting for the mini to be done first.

The mini? My comic-fu is weak. What's a mini?

Edit: Hmm, thinking about it more it means mini-series? So the current ultimate Iron Man's coming out are kind of like a origin mini story?

Inquisitor on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Spider-man blue.
    worth it?

delphinus on
    edited June 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

The mini? My comic-fu is weak. What's a mini?

Edit: Hmm, thinking about it more it means mini-series? So the current ultimate Iron Man's coming out are kind of like a origin mini story?

mini means miniseries yes. As in a limited series containing a finite number of issues.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Are the JSA and JLA still in two separate Earth's or whatever? I've recently started re-reading some of my old DC stuff and I'm feelin' the itch.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Are the JSA and JLA still in two separate Earth's or whatever? I've recently started re-reading some of my old DC stuff and I'm feelin' the itch.
    No, but also yes.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

The current JSA (the one that has its own series) is on the "main" earth and is made up of a mix of Golden Age era heroes (Wildcat, Sentry, Jay Garrick etc) and younger legacy heroes (Stargirl, Jakeem Thunder, etc).

What Fencingsax means is that the multi-verse was recently brought back after its destruction in the 80s and so presumably there is now a new Earth-2 with its own JSA, but we havent seen it or know much about it yet.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds delicious... Maybe I'll pick up a TPB or two.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited June 2007
    JSA is one of the greatest modern superhero comics ever. It was just relaunched with a new #1 this year, but the previous run (also written by current writer Geoff Johns) is so fucking good, I would reccomend going back and reading those.

Its the same team as the current volume for the most part.. I dont know why they bothered with a new #1

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    When did Namora come back?

Wasn't she a WWII era character?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    She came back in the Agents of Atlas mini.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • FolkFolk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    Spider-man blue.
    worth it?

yes, my god yes.

Folk on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    Spider-man blue.
    worth it?
    Sure thing.

deadonthestreet on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait.

The Ultimate Iron-Man mini isn't done?

Speaking of interminable minis.... any word on Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited June 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    Wait.

The Ultimate Iron-Man mini isn't done?

Speaking of interminable minis.... any word on Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk?

It is delayed indefinatley until they get all the scripts, ala Spider-Man: Black Cat

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Which is what Marvel should have learned to do with these "celebrity author" projects by now anyway.

DMAC on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    Which is what Marvel should have learned to do with these "celebrity author" projects by now anyway.
    Wonder Woman says that DC has this problem as well.

deadonthestreet on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Orson Scott Card is too good for comics. Also too cool for school. Or caffeine.

august on
This discussion has been closed.