As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Skin codes work twice, share the love!

• LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Actually I think they changed it so it can.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    IE actually owns on garen cause it benefits his judgment a lot

Spin can't crit.

yes it can, but it only multiplies the bonus damage

• RamiRami Registered User regular

I vastly prefer the reliability of heavy hits and lots of armour penetration over lucky crit strings. And Garen simply does not autoattack fast enough to make crits a frequent thing, you aren't really going to be building high crit % items like PD so there seems little point trundling around with 40% crit chance when you could easily throw out a judgement and not get a single crit. IE certainly isn't bad on him, but everyone should try strong AD + armour pen as well to see which they prefer.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Rami wrote:

I vastly prefer the reliability of heavy hits and lots of armour penetration over lucky crit strings. And Garen simply does not autoattack fast enough to make crits a frequent thing, you aren't really going to be building high crit % items like PD so there seems little point trundling around with 40% crit chance when you could easily throw out a judgement and not get a single crit. IE certainly isn't bad on him, but everyone should try strong AD + armour pen as well to see which they prefer.

i don't see how infinity edge is a bad pick even for a heavy AD build

you know it has the most AD on it out of any item in the game right?

• aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    Rami wrote:
    Your items could use a little work. Trinity Force? Pointless waste of gold, Frozen Mallet will serve you much better. Ghostblade is probably your first go to damage item, IE is not great on Garen because he is not an attack speed kind of guy, if you want a high tier dps item get a bloodthirster instead. You seem to be going full dps which is ok but probably not ideal as you start to reach higher levels and people get better. Try swapping in Mercs instead of Ionian boots, and a hexdrinker for MR and Atma's impaler for armour. If you don't want to give up more than 2 slots for defence then Thornmail is pretty cheap and will do for armour while force of nature will do for MR.

Trinity Force was probably a bit of a waste, and I'll definitely get Frozen Mallet next time. My reasoning for Infinity Edge wasn't for the +80 Attack Damage, but rather for the 25% Critical Chance and most importantly the 250% Critical Damage. As for Mercury's, I've used that one instead of Ionian in all games except the last one, in which the opposing team were so bad at landing their disables, that I just decided to boost my CDR a bit.

I'll aim for Atma's Impaler next game and I'll give Hexdrinker a shot too. What about Sunfire Cape?

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Sunfire is more classic tank Garen. If you're running newer AD Garen, just get the Atma's and you should be fine. Atmog's+FoN is so solid on him.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'd like to mention that the only person who played garen in the tournaments today used an IEdge

liEt3nH.png
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

Spin can't crit.

it can

edit: whoa i shoulda refreshed

SuMa.Lustre on
    Rami wrote:

That would be Bloodthirster actually, at 100 AD and 900 less gold.

At level 18 you'll be getting 50-60+ AD from Atma's, and that's over 1000g cheaper than IE. If you're in one of those games that goes on for 40+ minutes and you're rolling in gold sure you sell your doran's and buy an IE, but unlike actual AD carries I don't think gunning for a 15-25 minute IE on Garen is the best use of your gold.

sig.gif
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Rami wrote:
    Rami wrote:

Am I missing something...

Infinity Edge - 80AD
    Bloodthirster - 60AD

exis on
    Rami wrote:
    Rami wrote:

At level 18 you'll be getting 50-60+ AD from Atma's, and that's over 1000g cheaper than IE. If you're in one of those games that goes on for 40+ minutes and you're rolling in gold sure you sell your doran's and buy an IE, but unlike actual AD carries I don't think gunning for a 15-25 minute IE on Garen is the best use of your gold.

infinity edge has more base AD - not beefed-up-40-creep-kills-without-dying AD - and is one of the most cost-efficient items in the game

i'm not saying to RUSH an IE on garen, since i think brutalizer and atma's are much better early items, but i'll fight you all day about IE being "not great" for him

edited September 2011
    You are missing the passive that increases BT to +100 AD +25% lifesteal after you judgement a couple of minion waves, which takes all of not much time really.

IE is 'not great' in the context of a game that is decided by 35 minutes, which is roughly what you should be expecting. I don't think anyone enters a game planning a build around the game dragging on for 45-60 minutes, but obviously if you do enter that 40+ minute mark then picking up an IE with your oodles of easy gold is a fairly smart thing to do. As I mentioned earlier, it's the sort of thing I would buy to replace a Doran's item once my slots were full. This can also happen earlier depending on how many kills you rack up.

Basically pretty much any Garen guide you read places IE in the 'this is a good option late game' category which is essentially what I'm agreeing with.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular

Spin can't crit.
    Spin crits. The base damage of the spin does not crit, but the 1.2/AD bonus damage can crit, and crits at 250% (260% with 3 points in Lethality).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

Spin can't crit.

Yes it can actually. It also specifically says it scales with crit.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    anything that modifies your auto-attack, otherwise nothing (except Janna shields)

That's why I smack a nearby minion if I can to get a Sheen proc up to use on the tower.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Garen with an IE edge is the reason why people fear bushes. Q with a 1.2 ratio into spin with critting 1.2 bonus ratios as well. Combine with Frozen Mallet, Atmas, Sunfire and FoN. No one lives, anywhere.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's the funniest thing in the world, or the most annoying, but when you get someone that THINKS they are soooo much better than they are, who do things that make no sense (such as a 10/11/0 Le Blanc that builds Mejai's and pings everywhere on the map constantly while raging), that's definitely one or the other!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I wonder if gunblade would work on Tryndamere at all.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    My dreamy Garen build for farming mans and minions solo top is Dorans Blade or two, Warmogs, Atmas Impaler and Infinity Edge. So much death and survivability. It's horrifying.

Dancing Bagel
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I find Mallet so much better on Garen than warmogs.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Ok, so with MF being AD in mind (I was just wondering if anyone had built her AP for the ratios on MiR etc) how's

Boots -> IE -> Zeal -> Bloodthirster/Last Whisper if they're tanky -> Black Cleaver -> Phantom Dancer(from Zeal)

as a build?

IcdplGM.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    finish phandom dancer after you get zeal then go bt/lw and your build is good

also don't get black cleaver if you're getting last whisper - if you're going to get it, get it relatively early

obF2Wuw.png
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    finish phandom dancer after you get zeal then go bt/lw and your build is good

also don't get black cleaver if you're getting last whisper - if you're going to get it, get it relatively early

So if I go Boots -> IE -> Zeal into PD -> BT/LW
    then what? Just stack another PD and IE for lols if I have the monies?

IcdplGM.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    normally after infi edge and phantom dancer you take stock

if yiou need defense grab a banshee

if you REALLY need armour pen get the last whisper

bt is a good third item

obF2Wuw.png
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    I really want to expand the roles I can fill in a game, but it's a headache so far. I want to try learning a support, but I don't want to hurt my team learning in pvp, and bot games are terrible. I'll have to get some of my friends to help me... and then I can feel guilty. Ugh. I'm liking Janna.

I also want to try tanking, and with Leona too. Yet I lack the ip. Yeash... so expensive. Had a pretty awful 4v5 game, but it was a feather in my hat I was bottom lane vs another Lux and Garen and kept them in check for about twenty minutes. Lux started wandering off for greener pastures, and I punished Garen hard for it. Then came a three person setup into a tower dive that got me. We lost hard, but I managed 2/5/5 so I don't feel absolutely terrible.

The best part was their Garen kept taunting us and mocking us, but we were actually doing well. Smacking him in his face as he tried to pull a bush ambush on me was great.

• ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    Yes, pretty much just assume that for an AD Carry your core is gonna be Boots, Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer. After that you should pick based on how the game is going, how they're building and what would benefit you the most.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    Ezreal build, go.

Everywhere suggests Brutaliser, but not Ghostblade, so I guess you sell it later.

Also, stack AD, ignore AS thanks to his passive? Black Cleaver OR Last Whisper, check.

Playing this game on opiate-based painkillers makes it a strangely pleasant experience regardless of how the games go.

ew9y0DD.png
  • SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    I like playing him hybrid,

Sheen
    Manamune
    Gunblade
    Rageblade
    Trinity

Unless you get an AP heavy team, and then I'll grab AD items as you suggested. Adding Manamune cause I believe it really benefits him.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Ezreal build, go.

Everywhere suggests Brutaliser, but not Ghostblade, so I guess you sell it later.

Also, stack AD, ignore AS thanks to his passive? Black Cleaver OR Last Whisper, check.

Playing this game on opiate-based painkillers makes it a strangely pleasant experience regardless of how the games go.

the community approved guide to ezreal on leaguecraft is particularly good, if written by a massive tool

sig.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    i guess the items it suggest are sheen zerkerz thirster dancer i edge

sig.gif
    the trick with brutaliser is that his mystic shot reduces his cooldowns by a flat amount

so percentage cdr is better than it looks if you land your qs

obF2Wuw.png
    the trick with brutaliser is that his mystic shot reduces his cooldowns by a flat amount

so percentage cdr is better than it looks if you land your qs

This. It's why double buff Ezreal is more threatening than many other champions with double buffs.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Good to know that on the morning of September the 11th the Riot server is busy and can't handle it.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I had no trouble getting into the servers.

I also have no clue how the date and the status of LoL are related. The terrorist attacks had nothing to do with League of Legends.

I ate an engineer
    I can land my Qs pretty well. Is I.Edge worth it on Ez, or not? I thought his Q couldn't crit, and thus, wasn't worth building crit.

Then again, I.Edge isn't exactly building for crit.

ew9y0DD.png
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I think its an alright choice but I dont usually get it

7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited September 2011
    If you are going to turn Ez into a right click auto carry then it's a fine choice.

Edit: You could for example have infinty edge and trinity force + green pot (and that's basically all you can count on getting unless the game really starts to drag on) and you will have solid Qs with the trinty proc and auto attacks with the +110 ad, 48% crit, and +90 ~110% attack speed from rising spell force, trinity stats, and green pot level scaling.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Is I.Edge worth it on Ez, or not?

later on yes

because you transition into more of an autoattack carry lategame

obF2Wuw.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So, random question - did they nerf Veigar's W at some point? I feel like I used to be able to one shot the Wraiths with it pretty early in the game (like, around level 10 or so). I had a game the other day where I couldn't one shot them at level 18 with like 800 AP. The hell?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Minions continue to get stronger and stronger as the game goes on. It's a bit of an arms race to see if you have enough AP or not to wipe a wraith camp with a single AoE spell.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
This discussion has been closed.