As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't know what this statue is worth (Not safe for prudes/work?)

ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the swordhttp://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a statue that I don't know the value of. It has made in japan on the bottom. I don't know where it came from and I am unable to find anything even remotely like it. I purchased it at an antiques shop here in Hillsboro,or.

th_JapaneseNudeStatue.jpg

th_JapaneseNudeStatue2.jpg

*edit*
th_Japanesenakedstatue3.jpg

Viscountalpha on

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Why would you think it's worth anything?

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    It's unusual, It's beautiful.

That's the whole point of the thread though. Something to substantiate that it's either worthless or very valuable. I would say that the antiques shop that I purchased it from is less then stellar with antiques.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Lacking some kind of artists' stamp or initials, or an indicator of the company that made it, means it's probably not worth much. It would be stamped "made in Japan" purely for export purposes. Can you take a better quality picture of the bottom?

nibXTE7.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    From a casual glance, it just looks really mass produced.

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Lacking some kind of artists' stamp or initials, or an indicator of the company that made it, means it's probably not worth much. It would be stamped "made in Japan" purely for export purposes. Can you take a better quality picture of the bottom?

I'll try later since my cellphone doesn't have a macro mode. It comes out all blurry.

Esh, I looked and I've looked. It may very well be mass produced. I just want to know if there are many of them still left. Quite a few of them might of been destroyed during WW2. But again, I'm looking for proof.

Viscountalpha on
    edited September 2011
    Double post when I thought I was editing.

Viscountalpha on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

I'll try later since my cellphone doesn't have a macro mode. It comes out all blurry.

Esh, I looked and I've looked. It may very well be mass produced. I just want to know if there are many of them still left. Quite a few of them might of been destroyed during WW2. But again, I'm looking for proof.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it?

• EWomEWom Registered User regular
    Also keep in mind, that just because something is sold in an antique shop doesn't mean it's an antique. What makes you certain it is pre-WWII?

Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If it says "made in japan" on the bottom it's a mass produced, worthless item. Antiques and valuable pieces of art don't have "Made in X" stamped on them.

What is this I don't even.
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    If it says "made in japan" on the bottom it's a mass produced, worthless item. Antiques and valuable pieces of art don't have "Made in X" stamped on them.

'made in japan' was used starting sometime around 1921. that's old enough to make it possibly be somewhat valuable.

not very likely though.

the made in japan stamp doesn't make it worthless.

edited September 2011
    Esh wrote:

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it?

I think like 40$? I wouldn't of paid anything over that though. I figure it's worth about that much probably. But again, I can't find a single thing about this.

Viscountalpha on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you think its something other than entirely unremarkable, I would befriend an appraiser. There is a lot of things we cant really tell from the pictures, like the exact material. If you are desperate to know more about it, get a trained eye on it in person.

So that leads me to appraisers in the portland,or area? Anyone know any good appraisers around here?

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    As for material, it's likely glazed porcelain. That tiny hole in the bottom is there for steam to escape when it's fired.

The fact that there is no maker's mark leads me to believe it's not worth much.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    And just because something is old or rare doesn't mean it has value. If you like it, and think you paid a good price for it, awesome! But don't buy things you don't know about hoping they'll be worth something.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Dunadan019 wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

'made in japan' was used starting sometime around 1921. that's old enough to make it possibly be somewhat valuable.

not very likely though.

the made in japan stamp doesn't make it worthless.

Very expensive China (ironically from Japan) is very expensive and is marked with made in japan marks. Usually depends on the look of the mark though.

Honestly, that doesn't really look like much of anything or very old. I'd expect something from very long ago to have some kind of cracking of the glaze or have some kind of patina.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited September 2011
    the cracking is there, it just doesn't show up very well on my camera. Maybe if I borrow a much better cam from someone. Of course, it could of come out of the furnace like that.

I'm not expecting this to be worth a lot. I bought it because I liked it and the price wasn't too bad.

Viscountalpha on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm no expert, but I can tell that ain't worth squat. $10 at auction, maybe? It's the kind of thing you find in Bed Bath & Beyond for cheap Mother's day gifts.

• Double_ChrisDouble_Chris Registered User regular
    Yeah it seems like the sort of Made to be Antique you get at Target or other type of stores. Like the others have said, though, I'd take some better quality pictures and look around online and see if you can't get more info on it.

Regardless, if you like the look of it and are ok with what you paid for it, then be glad you got it.

We are human, after all. Flesh Uncovered, after all.
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I'd look for sites about porcelain eg.china as there are bound to be people that are collectors. I'm betting posting on such a site will give you the answers you're looking for, especially if you start out asking if people know something about the item rather than just if it's worth something.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • RynaRyna Registered User regular
    It's from a mould, hence mass produced.

Forget about it.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Ryna wrote:

Forget about it.

How do you know? Based on the positioning of the arms, it doesn't look like it would be possible to make that statue from a mold. Unless you're molding the arms separately and attaching them.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    I'd look for sites about porcelain eg.china as there are bound to be people that are collectors. I'm betting posting on such a site will give you the answers you're looking for, especially if you start out asking if people know something about the item rather than just if it's worth something.

Thanks, This is definitely good advice here. I didn't think about a porcelain site.

• LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    Ryna wrote:

Forget about it.

Some things that are mass produced are quite sought after by collectors and therefore valuable.

If I were you, I would seek out a forum devoted to collecting porcelain, or whatever material you think it's made from. Because unless there happen to be some porcelain statue collectors lurking on PA, no one here is going to be able to give you an informed opinion on whether it's worth something or worthless.