As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alcohol] - THE FINAL DRUNKENING

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Is a Vodka Gimlet girly? That's like, MY drink. Learned it from my Grandmother at a family reunion. That's what she would just pound during bridge or whatever.

She made it a lot stronger than I do, though.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Is a Vodka Gimlet girly? That's like, MY drink. Learned it from my Grandmother at a family reunion. That's what she would just pound during bridge or whatever.

She made it a lot stronger than I do, though.

Alright. So here's the thing.

1. It's a drink that your grandmother, a girl, drinks.

2. She makes it stronger than you.

I think that you've answered your own question.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    A gimlet can be a perfectly tasty drink. Well chilled gin, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a wee bit of powdered sugar, served up. Tasty and refreshing. Now how you would make a weak one makes me think you are using a TON of lime juice and sugar, or heaven forbid, cutting it with soda/tonic. In which case you are really just having a vodka tonic with lime. But, despite all the girl drink drunk talk, I will echo some of John Cleese's words on wine. "Now he gave this wine a 98, but that does not make it taste any better to ME. I think it's a 50 at best." Drink what you like, fuck the haters. Do try and be open minded though (as should they).

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I don't really think we need another girly drink debate, as much fun as they are

edited August 2011
    powdered sugar? I used that in lieu of simple syrup one time and it made my drink all cornstarchy

and yeah, making a proper martini is a huge waste of ice. ice to chill the glass, ice you throw out. It makes them tough to make for a bigger crowd at home.

Casual Eddy on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Phillip Marlowe drank Gimlets in The Long Goodbye. He was no pussy. His recipe was 1/2 Roses lime juice and half Gin.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    its almost as if a paragon of literary masculinity of the 20th century was a huge fan of daquiris

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Ernest HemmingGAY.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    Drink what you like, fuck the haters. Do try and be open minded though (as should they).

There's such a wide variety of wonderful alcohol that I feel bad for people when they limit themselves out of some weird ideal. I also think it's funny when men think it's perfectly manly to use liqueurs but look down on flavored vodkas as girly. Really? Was it the shit-ton of sugar dumped in there that stopped it from shriveling your testicles up?

I've had many different alcohol experiences, but the first time I drank a lot instead of just a drink or two was at PAX, and I ordered drinks like raspberry appletinis and flirtinis. I was so consistently girly that I earned myself an honorary "vag badge" from the girls in the group, and you know what? I felt like a boss.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Went to Drink last night. Really good drinks, but you could tell that it was opened by a chef. It had a very educational, clinical feel. Which is cool, but I definitely enjoy the darker, seedier BAR vibe of a place like EO or Little Branch.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    The hibiscus rum milk punch was FANTASTIC though

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    its almost as if a paragon of literary masculinity of the 20th century was a huge fan of daquiris

i think that when most people think of a daquiri though, they don't imagine what it is that he drank.

most people think of some fruity (as in fruit) blended drink. which, to my knowledge, was not in fact what he drank.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Well, there's lots of speculation as to what he drank, and whether or not the Floradita-come-Hemmingway daquiri with grapefruit and/or maraschino was actually his drink, and whether he liked it served frozen a la a frappe

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Phillip Marlowe drank Gimlets in The Long Goodbye. He was no pussy. His recipe was 1/2 Roses lime juice and half Gin.

This is what I do, but Vodka.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I recently found that I had a taste for scotch and whiskies and decided to give bourbon a try. I'm sitting here drinking the Kirkland signature label from Costco and I think I made a poor choice for a starting bottle. I didn't realize that it was 103 proof until after I had my first glass poured and it is just overwhelming to my pallet.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Cut it with some water. That's pretty much a cask strength bourbon there. Use 1/3 water to 2/3 liquor.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Cut it with some water. That's pretty much a cask strength bourbon there. Use 1/3 water to 2/3 liquor.
    I drank the first glass on the rocks and it certainly mellowed throughout the glass but I have no idea if that was from the ice melting or the fact that it is really strong. I will certainly try cutting g it with some water.

• Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Is there some simple concoction that involves straight tea and some kind of liquor? I drink a ton of hot green tea everyday and I was wondering if there was something I can do to kick it up a notch. Not some super fancy cocktail with 10 ingredients.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Maybe add some Amaretto or hazelnut liqueur?

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I don't really know how green tea would hold up to nut liqueur. I think you'd end up with pretty much watered down warm liqueur.

You might want to try a fruity liqueur, like triple sec, or flavored rum.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2011
    redx wrote:
    I don't really know how green tea would hold up to nut liqueur. I think you'd end up with pretty much watered down warm liqueur.

You might want to try a fruity liqueur, like triple sec, or flavored rum.

Rum is probably the most traditional option, as grog's just water with rum and often citrus or sugar and nutmeg. An American variant uses rye instead.

Bagginses on
    Honestly, if you are looking for tea + ethanol, I'd brew some strooong tea and put a little vodka in it. Though I am the guy who tends to disdain milk/sugar/honey in his tea though, so I may be overestimating the ability of most liquors to do bad things to the tea.
    Orrr I'd actually make a tea infused vodka, I think a grassy one like sencha might do well for greens, and lapsang souchong could make an interesting smokey black tea vodka....Dunno if the effort of infusing would put this into "too fancy/time consuming" though.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    If you want to drink a bourbon that's nice straight, I just got a bottle of Bulleit today and it is excellent.

I also used it to make a fake old fashioned with lemon. I think I put too much bitters in, though, and had to sugar it up a bit to compensate, so it was a bit syrupy.

How do you folks make old fashioneds? Also I'm having a party on Friday and I need to make some easy drinks for people who aren't big drinkers - any tips?

edited September 2011
    wow, triple post, somehow.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited September 2011

Evil Multifarious on
    I have a super heavy hand when it comes to bitters, but you can dial it back. Place a sugar cube in your glass a saturate it with 3-5 dashes of bitters. Peel a nice strip of orange rind (getting as little of the white pith as possible -- I like to use a potato peeler) and gently muddle the peel and to express the oil in in the peel and crush the cube. Add a small splash of water to aid in dissolving the sugar, 2 oz of spirit, and fill the glass with large cubes of ice. Stir for at least 30 seconds to dilute the whiskey, and serve with a brandied or homemade marschino cherry.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hey, drunks.

I've lately been enjoying the Manhattan.

I hear it is best made with Rye.

I've been using Seagram's 7... clearly not a Rye.

I don't want to spend $Texas on booze, but what's a decent $20-$30/750ml-1L rye that would go well in a Manhattan?

Is there one?

For the record, I don't particularly dislike the Seagram's... I just feel like it could be tastier.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Found a bar yesterday that had a hundred beers on tap. 98 of which were craft beer. So many choices I hadn't heard of. I got a Scottish Stout on nitro, an oak-aged Arrogant Bastard and a Rye PA from a brewery I'd never heard of before.

If only it wasn't sixty miles away from me noooooooo.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So nice I posted twice.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Capital Ale House is like that in Virginia, there are a few locations.

It's corporate as balls, but they have a ton of really awesome beer all the same.

There's plenty in that range. The classic answer is Old Overholt. Basic rye that's super cheap -- probably under $20 a bottle. Nothing fancy, but it does the job in cocktails. I prefer the Rittenhouse 100 proof. The extra booze gives the classic cocktails the kick they would have had back in the day. I think that, dollar for dollar, the rittenhouse 100 proof might be the best spirit in the world, and you should be able to find it at around $20. A little fancier would be the sazerac 6 year old -- a young version of my favorite spirit bar none, the sazerac 18 -- for a bit under $30.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Coolies. I'll check those out.

in Ontario the Sazerac 6 year old is 45 dollars a bottle before tax

edited September 2011
    edit: okay, seriously, what is with this thread loading more slowly than other threads and also generating double/triple posts? bizarre.

Evil Multifarious on
    Chanus wrote:
    Hey, drunks.

I've lately been enjoying the Manhattan.

I hear it is best made with Rye.

I've been using Seagram's 7... clearly not a Rye.

I don't want to spend $Texas on booze, but what's a decent $20-$30/750ml-1L rye that would go well in a Manhattan?

Is there one?

For the record, I don't particularly dislike the Seagram's... I just feel like it could be tastier.

I've had tasty times with Wild Turkey's Rye, and agree with the previous recommendation of Old Overhold for "gets the job done" and Rittenhouse for "gets the job done a bit better." I've not had the sazerac, but have never heard a word against it.

edit: okay, seriously, what is with this thread loading more slowly than other threads and also generating double/triple posts? bizarre.

the thread is drunk

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Podly wrote:
    I have a super heavy hand when it comes to bitters, but you can dial it back. Place a sugar cube in your glass a saturate it with 3-5 dashes of bitters. Peel a nice strip of orange rind (getting as little of the white pith as possible -- I like to use a potato peeler) and gently muddle the peel and to express the oil in in the peel and crush the cube. Add a small splash of water to aid in dissolving the sugar, 2 oz of Sprite, and fill the glass with large cubes of ice. Stir for at least 30 seconds to dilute the whiskey, and serve with a brandied or homemade marschino cherry.

That's how I read it at first. I nearly had an aneurism.

How'd this thread get so buried? Are all the regulars too busy with drunken stupor?

Anyway, after being unemployed all summer I finally have a new job and I was looking to celebrate with a nice bottle of Scotch. Does anybody know anything about Springbank 18yr? I tried the 10yr. at Whisky Bar and remember really liking what taste was there but it seemed a little thin, so I'm hoping the older one will fill out.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Haven't tried Springbank before , but hopefully your selection was a good one.

It is one of the best times of the year in/around Oregon right now. FRESH HOP SEASON. Cones go off the vine and straight to the kettle without stopping. In some cases, we're talking only a few hours between 'pick' and 'splash'. This creates intensely different flavor patterns and, in some cases, beer you would willingly trample invalid orphans to obtain. With brewers around the area all doing one or three of these, getting them all in one place would be ideal. So, yeah, this weekend is the Hood River Hops Festival - one that I had a great time at last year. The line-up:
    Hood+River+Hops+Beer+List+2011.jpg

That list is batshit insane. I'm tag-teaming this with a friend and, even with the two of us picking different options and sharing, no way in hell we're hitting it all. But a few are definitely on the MUST TRY list. Like Total Crystallization (Ninkasi) - this was my personal favorite last year and I'm hoping for a repeat of the awesomeness. It was like getting clubbed in the mouth by somebody wearing Hulk Hands made from Crystal hops. Just absurd levels of flavor. I can only hope there will be other offerings this year doing the same . . . Breakside's maybe? This is the first run at one of these for those guys and it's also going to be near the front of the line.

Have I mentioned that enjoying beer and living in Portland makes you giddy? Because enjoying beer and living in Portland makes you giddy.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    edited September 2011
    Alcohol thread. Tomorrow is Great American Beer Fest. I will be volunteering pouring suds for three days straight. Great weekend or greatest weekend?

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth