As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My first attempt at a splatter film (Slightly NSFW, gore)

HanSaganHanSagan Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Artist's Corner
And I'm reasonably happy with the results. Shot on the New Sony FS100 on Nikon Lenses.

Blood was an odd mixture of food colouring, milk and Avocado, so the place smelt really interesting at the end of the day.

http://26th.theabcsofdeath.com/t-is-for-talk/

Opinions / Feedback welcome!

HanSagan on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2011
    Really not my genre, but It was well executed and the actors were all great. . I'm not going to watch it again to nitpick it, but you could have probably used something a little bone like in your mixture, considering the whole skull was getting crushed. Certainly disturbing, to say the least, so, well done.

I feel like any crits I have are seriously colored by my distaste for the genre, So you might want to take that into consideration, but I feel like there is a lack of any real character development or plot resolution here.

Iruka on
  • Options
    NamNam Registered User regular
    It's pretty well done for what it is. I'm not a big gore fan... probably the only movie like this that I thought was interesting was 'The Cube'. Don't know if you've seen it.

• Options
    I have, years ago....and it has been compared to that, which suprised me a little.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    the saw/cube comparisons are going to come with the territory, at this point. No matter how nuanced you may feel your take on it, its sort of what peoples minds jump to when they see people being needlessly tortured systematically.

• Options
    Oh, I didn't feel we were nuanced at all :) I was expecting 'saw' comparisons, but 'cube' suprised me. Probably cause I hadn't seen it for so long.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I think if you revisit this you should add a wider variety of personalities, the cube had that going for it. I think it's also much more interesting when the characters can move around and work together... also, if you think about it, wouldn't whoever is running this simulation be more entertained this way? It's not very sporty or challenging to just shackle people up and squash their heads. I think a balance of hope and hopelessness is important in this genre.

Or within the current format; You could add a big, sweaty nerd to the mix. When the monitor says 'Laugh' he could try to get clever with it by replying "LAWL".

Then he gets doused with acid.

Edit: I hope it doesn't sound like I'm saying you should make a sequel to the Cube.

Nam on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    Not too bad for what it is.... Not my type of film, but was professionally done.

I felt the grade made it look a little video-ish... as I understand the sensor is the same as the one in the f3 which has very nice tones. Highlights seemed to go a little to detail-less. I don't know if this is a result of the online compression, grading, or just lighting a little too hot.

Also just my own opinion.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    sweet. I thought that was very well done. Very staple characters without being cliche. I don't necessarily enjoy the whole execution gambit type of splatter movies like saw or whatever. I usually go more for the action splatter stuff, like zombies or battle royale style, but it was still very well done imo

• Options
    edited September 2011
    HanSagan wrote:

I'm watching this tonight.

Edit: Wow, that was stupid.

Nam on