As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in PAX Archive
splashsmall.png

What is the PAX Pokemon League?
The PAX Pokemon League is a weekend-long alternate reality game played at PAX! Gym leaders wander the convention center halls, ready to battle upstart young challengers like you! Find them and defeat them in battle, and you'll receive their badge. If you can collect eight gym badges, you'll earn the right to find and challenge the Elite Four, and the Champion, for the right to be crowned champion yourself!

Battles can take place anywhere at PAX, and are conducted using Pokemon Black or White. Note that this is NOT a tournament: just like in the game, ANYONE can train a team of their favorite Pokemon and challenge the League. We plan to have gym leaders at many difficulty levels, so everyone has a chance to live the Pokemon dream!

A little more info...
This will be the fourth outing for the PAX Pokemon League. Started at PAX Prime 2010 by the dedicated Professor Pine, and with the support of a small group of dedicated leaders, the PAX Pokemon League has grown and continues to grow each year! Hundreds of challengers have taken challenge, proving themselves in battle and earning countless badges. But only a scant handful have managed to ascend the ranks and defeat the champion... and you could be next among them!

Exciting Photographic Evidence
east_ash.JPG
Ash has managed to defeat our league once already.

east_challengers.JPG
Just a few of the people who participated in PAX Pokemon League: East 2011

east_leaders.JPG
Just a few of the leaders in PAX Pokemon League: East 2011

prime_e4.JPG
The sinister Elite Four from this past PAX Prime Pokemon League.

prime_leaders.jpg
And here's most of the rest of the leaders from PAX Prime 2011.

prime_meetup.jpg
An image of the last meet up of PAX Prime 2011!

What do I need to participate?
All that is required is a copy of Pokemon Black or Pokemon White, keen eyesight*, and a love of Pokemon Battle! Gym leaders will be all over PAX, and can be identified by their bright green scarves. Approach them, challenge them to a battle, and if they deem you worthy, you'll earn their badge! No need to sign up or anything, just find a gym leader and start battling!

*Note: Keen Eyesight only required to see neon green clothes in a sea of black t-shirts.

If, however, you want to know more about the league, join the community of challengers, and find information and hints that will help you locate and identify the gym leaders... well, you should visit our site where in the coming months we're going to be revealing leader profiles, detailed rules, and other fun things. We've also got a twitter account (@PAXPokemon) where gym leaders will often post their locations as they wander the con, and a Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/pages/PAX-Pokemon-League/139432372766011) where if you like us you can see news and pictures from our Hall of Fame!

What are the rules?
The rules have been posted at http://paxpokemonleague.net/rules/

What do I win?
Those who conquer the league will win eternal glory as a champion, being immortalized in the Hall of Fame, along with respect from their peers, and the ability to be forced to sit through the game's credits sequence.

Also, there may be some prizes...

That sounds awesome, can I help?
Right now, we're still in the planning stages! We're looking for artists and web developers who want to help make the PPL bigger, better, and shinier.

We are also looking for outgoing people interested in becoming leaders! Details on leader applications will be posted in the very next post!

So, that's great, but what is this thread for?
This is the place to interact with challengers and leaders! We're always looking for cool ideas to improve the league, or input on rules that will help make the league more fun.

We also want to spread the word about the league! Tell us if you have any ideas about people we should talk to to get the word out.

If nothing else, we're always up for discussions about shorts and how comfy and easy to wear they are. Or we can talk about how our Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata....

You guys are cool people, can I hang out with you?
You sure can! Visit our forums, follow our twitter or like our facebook page!

Heleor on

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Calling all gym leaders! Calling all gym leaders!

Do you have what it takes to be a leader in the PAX Pokemon League?

We're looking for up-and-coming trainers from around the world to don the green scarf and join the ranks of the PAX Pokemon League Leaders at PAX East!

Our application process is pretty in-depth, but the full application is posted here. You will have to make an account on our personal forums to make an application, but all leader activities are done in that forum too!

Spoiled for length:
    Gym leaders are responsible for accepting challenges from eager champs-in-making, and awarding their personal badges to those they deem worthy.

Basically, in less romantic terms, as a gym leader, you'll be wandering the halls of PAX accepting challenges and playing a lot of Pokemon and having a lot of really excellent battles and giving out pins!

We're looking for players of all skill levels! This is NOT a Pokemon tournament, and the only requirement is that you have a copy of Black and White and can put together a team that is unique and fun to play against. We'll be selecting 20 or so individuals to participate, so if you're thinking about applying, go for it!

Requirements:

0) First off, being part of the PPL requires a time commitment: you'll be playing lots of pokemon, and we have meetups on every day of PAX where swarms of challengers will be clamoring to challenge you. We really recommend you go to at least one of these meetups. The best leaders will wander the halls doing what they like but will always be up for a battle. Gym leaders have battled in the Expo Halls, while queuing, during panels, all over the place. The Pokemon action never stops! Well, it does stop, you don't have to accept challenges 24/7. But we don't want you to be so elusive that no challengers can ever find you.

1) You MUST purchase a 3-day pass as soon as they go on sale. and send us proof (a copy of the confirmation email will be fine, and you can redact any sensitive info). In previous years we've waited a bit longer until badges were actually on sale, but this year we've got so much in the works that we want to start reviewing applications straight away! So, if you apply to be a leader, you're applying with the understanding that you're definitely going to PAX East and are planning on getting a badge the instant you hear they've gone on sale. If you don't secure a 3-day badge, you can't be a gym leader! Don't make us give you the boot!

2) You're also going to be responsible for designing and ordering your badges. In the past we've gotten discounts through PureButtons, it's usually fairly inexpensive - expect to spend around 20 dollars for a set of 100, plus up to 10 dollars for shipping. You will also be responsible for having a PPL Green Scarf. Those are all handmade by one of our leaders and the cost would only include the cost of materials - we are not selling them.

3) What type of gym leader are you? This league involves interacting with lots of people, and a lot of people choose to go with the flow and go with their persona full-scale. We've had people cosplay as existing gym leaders, as well as people go all out and design an original persona for themselves to play. We don't require cosplay or themed outfits, but we greatly encourage it! After PAX Prime, we got a lot of leaders who said they wished they had dressed up more, so keep that in mind.

4) This year, the theme is Pokemon Rivals. Note that this is completely optional, we still welcome and want original and canon leaders. If you have a great idea of wanting to cosplay a Rival from the anime, manga, or video games, then that's awesome! Rivals are not necessarily limited to mono-type teams, but will have stricter requirements on the Pokemon they can use. Some examples of Rivals are Blue, Silver, Brendan, Wally, Barry, Cheren, Paul, N, Ritchie, A.J., Hiker, Trip, Nando, Conway, Ronald, Morrison, Eldes, Harrison, Bianca, May, Dawn, Green, Zoey, Ursula. Note that this is not an exhaustive list!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY APPLICATION:

There is a forum opened under the 'PAX East 2012' category called 'Leader Applications.' If you wish to apply, make a new topic in that forum, and include all information. If you've missed something or we have some questions for you, we will respond to your thread until we're satisfied with your application, so check back often!

NOTE: The posts in the ‘Leader Application’ forum are visible to all PAX East leaders. If there is something you do not want revealed to your potential fellow leaders, please PM it to me, Heleor, instead.

BASIC INFO:
    Full Name:
    Preferred Name:
    PPL Forum Handle:
    PAX Forum Handle (if any):
    Email:
    Age(1):
    Can you receive text messages?:
    Do you have unlimited text messages?:

LEADER INFO:
    Leader Name (i.e., 'Misty'):
    Leader Subtitle (i.e., 'The water master from Cerulean'):
    Preferred Type: (i.e., 'Water'. Could be more specific, such as 'Fish-Shaped Pokemon,' or more quirky, such as 'ALL STUNFISK ALL THE TIME'. Note that this HAS TO BE SPECIFIC. If you do anything more complex than mono-type, we're going to look at it VERY closely.)
    Badge Design Concept(2):
    Costume Concept (3):
    Any team quirks (i.e., rhyme battle, dance off, etc. Optional.):
    Leader Biography (1 paragraph, see here for examples):

How would you rank your Pokemon Experience? (Casual, Intermediate, Tournament):

RESPONSIBILITIES:
    Are you able to pay to have your badges made? (Approx. 20-30$ shipped):
    Are you able to pay for the materials and shipping for the scarf? (4):
    Are you able to help contribute to publicizing this league? (Contributing on these forums, posting on the PAXforums, etc):
    Are you able to post and reply to these forums at least once a week?:
    Are you able to respond in a timely fashion to all requests and questions?:
    Will you buy your PAX badge the first day it goes on sale?:
    Will you have access to a hotel room and transportation to Boston (if needed) before March?:
    Do you have any other commitments before the con? (Jobs, school, etc):
    Do you have any other commitments during the con? (Enforcing, other events) (5):

I'M TALENTED:
    Do you have competitive Pokemon experience?:
    Do you wish to be considered for Elite Four or Champion? (6):
    Do you have artistic abilities? (7):
    Do you wish to be considered for the Art Team?:
    Do you have website design or development experience?:
    Do you wish to be considered for the Website Team?:
    Do you have sewing/costuming experience?:
    Do you wish to be considered for the Cosplay Team?:
    Do you have any other abilities that may be useful for the league?:

(1): If under 18, we need parental permission. Ask your parents to contact one of us with permission before submitting an application.
    (2): See next section.
    (3): Please write down what you plan to actually wear to PAX as a leader.
    (4): These are not for sale, we're only charging for the materials and shipping. We won't be making any money off of this.
    (5): We welcome enforcers, but we want those that can devote at least a few hours per day to the league, or take challenges at their posts.
    (6): The Elite Four and Champion do not need competitive experience. In fact, they should make their teams to be difficult, but defeatable.
    (7): Most of us don't, so even if you don't feel your skills are very good, please apply. We currently only have one artist and we definitely want to split the load!

Badge Designs:
    In order for a leader application to be accepted, you need to have a design concept for your badge. While there's an explicit format that badges will have to follow, and leaders are free to create their badge on their own, we have plenty of help available for the less-artistically-inclined to help make your concept a stunning reality. We do need some help from you, though, so we have something to go on. An MSPaint sketch would work nicely, but if you're even MSPaint challenged, a detailed description would work.

Here's a bad example: "My badge will be the FIRE badge. It will be FIRE and also RED."
    Here's a good example: "My badge will be the EXCELLENCE badge! I want a cell-shaded picture of a north African dung beetle, from the side, facing to the right, with a top hat on its head, against a yellow polka-dot background.

Ready to get started?
    Click here to begin your application!

Timing!
    The first wave of applications will be closed on September 31st, 2011. Get your applications in by then if you don't want to miss out!

Heleor on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Hey everyone! I'm Propriety! I was a gym leader at East 2011, and and I'll be helping out Heleor with League prep this year! If you have any questions about stuff, feel free to PM me!

Looking forward to seeing your gym leader applications, or to challenging you to battle at East 2012!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Ah, that new thread smell, smells like a new beginning!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • metalslugx12metalslugx12 Registered User new member
    Hey everyone!

I'm MetalSlugX12 I was a gym leader last year as well. Most of you probably know me as the Eeveelution gym leader. I'm not a definite gym leader for East 2012, but if you have any questions I'm here to answer them to the best of my ability!

• pinebarkpinebark Registered User regular
    Gym Leader Regal here from this year's PAX Prime league. From what I've heard, things are just getting bigger and better with each incarnation of the PPL, and it looks like there's a great bunch of folks applying to be leaders. April is a ways away, but if you'll be heading to East then you should definitely consider applying. I can vouch that being a gym leader is a blast.

• BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    I challenged the league last year and submitted my application. I'm really hyphy about this year!

• ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    I had such a great time being part of the league at Prime this year! I sadly won't be at East, but I just have to say, this is one of the most awesome PAX community events ever, and you should participate, whether as a leader or a challenger. Very fun times!

OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
    I'm hoping everyone who enjoys Pokemon takes part in this league. It's been a great run, and the league is growing every year!

We've gotten a very good turnout in applications so far, so if you're just thinking of applying, send in your application anyway - it can't hurt to apply!

Aww, all the lovely comments are both making me more sad that I couldn't go to Prime and even more excited for East! And the applications we're getting are great, but we need more! Keep 'em coming!

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • UltimaBuddyUltimaBuddy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So... what are the usual levels of the gym leader's Pokemon?

EDIT:
    Also, are gym leaders limited to one type? Stupid question.
    I meant to ask, are dual-type Pokemon allowed?

Also, how many Pokemon is a gym leader supposed to have? I checked the rules and I didn't find any mention of how big a team is supposed to be.

UltimaBuddy on
    LoL: UltraBuddy
    We typically use flat battle, so the levels of your Pokemon don't matter, as they're leveled up (or down) to level 50! This allows a fair playing field to all challengers.

For all applicants: If you're debating on what type you want to represent, I've looked through the applications and here are the types that don't have applications yet!

Fighting
    Flying
    Electric
    Ground
    Rock
    Ice
    Bug
    Dragon
    Steel

So... what are the usual levels of the gym leader's Pokemon?

EDIT:
    Also, are gym leaders limited to one type? Stupid question.
    I meant to ask, are dual-type Pokemon allowed?

Also, how many Pokemon is a gym leader supposed to have? I checked the rules and I didn't find any mention of how big a team is supposed to be.

Also, yes, dual-type pokemon are definitely allowed in Mono-type gyms! In the games, the gym leaders virtually all use dual-types.

Also also, your team can be as big or as small you want it to be, up to six pokemon, of course. Some gym leaders choose to use fewer than six pokemon, like in the games, but six is most common.

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:
    Also also, your team can be as big or as small you want it to be, up to six pokemon, of course. Some gym leaders choose to use fewer than six pokemon, like in the games, but six is most common.

Propriety, I really appreciated your use of only four Pokemon. Not because it helped at all (you wiped my team except for good ol' Hypno), but because it definitely helped with time and keeping a good flow.

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    There is never enough love for the ice teams...

but yeah; though it's unclear if I'll be going to PAX East, I'm helping with some of the planning as well. But Heleor and Proprietary are doing all the hard work ;)

I got swept by a hail team once. Thankfully I wasn't the fire leader, otherwise it would be very embarrassing.

would it be ok to summit multiple gym leader ideas? I turned in one already, but i thought of another good idea for a leader

In the thread you create, feel free to put multiple ideas. Each person should only have one thread, though - we wouldn't want to accept both of your ideas, and it allows us to count the number of applications more easily!

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Tons of awesome people in this league! Plus as a leader you get to meet even more awesome challengers.

DanUNG wrote:
    Propriety wrote:

Propriety, I really appreciated your use of only four Pokemon. Not because it helped at all (you wiped my team except for good ol' Hypno), but because it definitely helped with time and keeping a good flow.

Ah! I remember your Hypno! Goodness me, that was a good battle. Yes, battles can be very fun with four v. six, and it does make things go faster! I know leaders will have all sorts of different types of battles next march, so challengers will have to be on their toes.

• DestinedDestined Registered User regular
    Hey!
    Steven Stone/Morty here.
    Hope to see you all at East!

• pinebarkpinebark Registered User regular
    Another variation: I always had six Pokemon on my team at Prime, but usually told challengers that the first to have three Pokemon on their team faint would lose. Sped things up nicely and gave the battles a bit of anime flavour.

• XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    Leader applications are open? Are you excited 'cause I'm excited I've never been so excited well except for that one time when I was like *GASP* but really what could be better than that?

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
    Xerlith wrote:
    Leader applications are open? Are you excited 'cause I'm excited I've never been so excited well except for that one time when I was like *GASP* but really what could be better than that?

Haha! Someone feels fantastic.

The applications are rolling in! So many great ideas. I don't know how we're going to choose! D: It's going to be so tough.

If you've posted an application so far, take a look at it again - we've posted comments on all of them!

We're still looking for more applications as well, so don't miss out on your chance!

• StarVVolphStarVVolph Registered User regular
    Oh, LMAO! "and the ability to be forced to sit through the game's credits sequence." Oh man, that's funny. I lol'd XD

• RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Is this.... the PAX PPL THREAD?! By the look of mad excitement on everyone's faces, I believe it is!

I'm not going to apply for gym leader or anything, but I am super amped for the PPL this year. Still have plenty of baby pokerus'd shuckles that need homes~ Can't wait can't wait can't wait

This is in fact the PPL thread! I'm looking forward to you spacontributing lots! :D

Is this.... the PAX PPL THREAD?! By the look of mad excitement on everyone's faces, I believe it is!

I'm not going to apply for gym leader or anything, but I am super amped for the PPL this year. Still have plenty of baby pokerus'd shuckles that need homes~ Can't wait can't wait can't wait

I expect those baby Shuckles to find good homes! Or the ASPCP is going to be all over you. :B

Also, our new spiffy next-gen website can be revealed to the public! Take a look around, watch the intro, and join the discussions on our forum!

http://paxpokemonleague.com/

• DestinedDestined Registered User regular
    Heleor wrote:
    Also, our new spiffy next-gen website can be revealed to the public! Take a look around, watch the intro, and join the discussions on our forum!

Just don't step on the Stunfisks~!

Don't forget the heart.

• Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Hey all. GumbyX AKA Hamato the Safari Zone Gym leader here. While it was a tough decision, I've decided to ditch my other yearly con (scheduled for the same weekend as PAX >.<) to return to the PPL. Those of you who liked my gym from last year, be prepared for a whole new level of quirkiness. :)

PS Thanks to everyone who participated in the event last year. You guys are the main reason why I decided to return this year. I hope to see you all in April with your teams ready to go.

Gumbyx84 on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Gumbyx84 wrote:
    Hey all. GumbyX AKA Hamato the Safari Zone Gym leader here. While it was a tough decision, I've decided to ditch my other yearly con (scheduled for the same weekend as PAX >.<) to return to the PPL. Those of you who liked my gym from last year, be prepared for a whole new level of quirkiness. :)

PS Thanks to everyone who participated in the event last year. You guys are the main reason why I decided to return this year. I hope to see you all in April with your teams ready to go.

Yeah Gumby!! It's great to hear you'll be returning. (PAX and PPL are way better anyways. ;p)

Destined wrote:
    Heleor wrote:

Just don't step on the Stunfisks~!

Listen, I feel it's my duty to inform people about Stunfisks.

Thousands have died in Stunfisk-related incidents! They never see it coming. It's an epidemic. We need to get the word out about Stunfisks.

the new site looks awesome

• RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    DanUNG wrote:
    Don't forget the heart.

TEH HEART

It's good to be here with all of you again. So good.

This year, I think I'm just going to hand out different Pokemon I've leveled to 50. Maybe do something special with 'em, I don't know really.

Also, this came about from filming over this past summer. I do not apologize!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-x8gLTZbNE

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Something something fiery hatred of a thousand suns...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    It's ok. The sun already ate away my face, as you can see.