As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Creature Design Thread, Pure and Simple

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    bunchie.gif

edited September 2011
    mcp wrote:
    Cloverfield was such a stupid movie.

I hated every character in the film and I was glad when they all were dead.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    cloverfield-monster-picture.jpg

heh

I liked this better

• DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    imgCloverfield2.jpg

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    need to find that great xenobiology site from a while back

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Berk make a combination of these please
    Berk wrote:
    yV56P.jpg

Uriel wrote:
    bunchie.gif

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I like those little crow things with the giant mouth in their chest from Johnny Wander

EDIT: Maws

Seriously on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Berk wrote:
    yV56P.jpg

• QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Meet a monster that literally looks like ass—the Star Trek critter Page calls Big Red, a lobster-hued snow-planet scourge that shows up to attack James T. Kirk. "The brief was, it needs the most disgusting mouth," Page says. He considered crabby, finger-like oral appendages, then decided there's nothing ickier than the sight of a prolapsed rectum. For reference, Page hunted down hundreds of pictures of that unfortunate condition. "If the government saw them," he jokes, "I'd be institutionalized."

Meet a monster that literally looks like ass—the Star Trek critter Page calls Big Red, a lobster-hued snow-planet scourge that shows up to attack James T. Kirk. "The brief was, it needs the most disgusting mouth," Page says. He considered crabby, finger-like oral appendages, then decided there's nothing ickier than the sight of a prolapsed rectum. For reference, Page hunted down hundreds of pictures of that unfortunate condition. "If the government saw them," he jokes, "I'd be institutionalized."

I like the cut of his jib.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    bunchie.gif

Bunchie.jpg? That's a Kelet.

Uriel wrote:
    bunchie.gif

Bunchie.jpg? That's a Kelet.

Yeah but you can't find them by searching for "kelet" anymore.

Naw, that is the story as it has been told, passed down through oral tradition, changing with each telling, much like the book of Genesis or the legends of Scandinavian lore.

Here is the true story, as I tell it, as I learned it, as I lived it.

In the year of Our Lord 2003 a man came into our midst fearing no-one and nothing, from the highest of demigods to the lowliest beast. He carried with him a "sig" - a banner that fluttered without breeze, and upon it danced the frolicking figure of a green phallic creature with a joysome smile and soulless black eyes.

And yea, we all gathered and stared at the newcomer and his frightening and alluring avatar of choice, wondering for each and all if its carefree smile paid homage to heaven or hell. We asked after the creature's origin, and the man who had brought it knew not the answer. We strove for a name to call the creature depicted, for it existed not in our lands or tongues, and in failing a number of suggestions we opted to name it in the honor of the man who had brought it into our homes, and the people rejoiced for it was a good name, a strong name. The name was Kelet.

"Forsooth," shouted one from the gathered villagers. "Let each of us fashion for ourselves new kelets, to strengthen their number and build their notoriety." And fashion we did with the hands and feet of mortal men, creating entire dimensions of fantastical folicking phallii.

From atop the twisted spire of a rival internet words were whispered in ears and the dark lord of the kelet - who had created them to toil in the unending darkness of a video game that would never be created - frowned at our gaity and our wanton breeding of kelets. He swept down upon our world, blocking out the sun with his monstrous form, and challenged us. "Ye mortals, be warned, the creatures you handle are not kelets but bunchies. Cease ye tomfoolery, I hath created the bunchie, I can uncreate the bunchie. Thou shalt not blaspheme or profane its name again. And please buy my game when it comes out I hath a paypal on mine website."

We laughed at his ignorance, not a one of us comprehending his words. "Bunchies more like fuckyourmomintheasschies" we shouted from behind our crude palisade. The creator shook his fist with indignation and flew away, ne'er again to darken our horizon with his hideous form.

In the end a museum was erected to hold the kelets and preserve them for future generations, lest they forget what happened in those dark and dire days.

But on a cold night, when the air is clear and sound travels farther that it otherwise might, you can still here the echo of the dark lord's hammer ring upon his anvil as he struggles to undo the damage we did, for amen I say to you, the name of kelet has gone beyond our borders, it travels with the image of the frolicking green monster, dickjoking its way into oblivion.

And behind it you can make out the soft roar of his umbral forge as he struggles in vain to smelt the raw materials of his labor into a video game.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I liked cloverfield alright, but then I love disaster movies.

Also I love love love Avatar animals. They are the best.

Turtle ducks are adorable.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    That is one of the greatest things I have ever read

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    2ypg3tf.jpg

Always thought these guys looked pretty great

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh hey we talking about weird shit?

http://monsterbrains.blogspot.com/
    This blog is pretty great if you like looking at monsters. It will take forever to load because it is images all the way down though. It can be interesting, at times, or really boring at times because sometimes he goes on weird kicks with what he wants to talk about.

http://yog-blogsoth.blogspot.com/
    This dude is trying to draw all of the weird shit HP Lovecraft ever mentioned. Ever. Including the stuff he didn't describe. Especially the stuff he didn't describe. I don't like his interpretations at least 30% of the time, but it's still really interesting to follow.

http://alexcf.com/
    This guy is an artist who specializes in some oddly specific things. He makes stuff like werewolf fetuses and vampire hunting kits. They're really cool but often pretty expensive.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Personface wrote:
    Predator is a rad design but I always become irritated by humanoid (Two legs two arms one torso etc.) designs without due explanation. Doctor Who juuuussst about gets away with it by suggesting almost all races are genetic descendants of Timelord gene seeds and such but Star Trek
    HAS NO EXCUSE

Ahem

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ancient_humanoid

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Chase_(episode)

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Drawing HP Lovecraft monsters is like filling in the blank, only the blanks are entire paragraphs

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Designing and building cybernetic animals for movies was basically what I wanted to do since I was a teenager.

wait I guess I could still do that.

hummm.

I like this blog, it calls itself a blog about "speculative biology".

http://planetfuraha.blogspot.com/

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Personface wrote:
    CREATURE DESIGN

In much of today's media, be it game, cinema or literature, painting or sculpture, prose or poetry, one encounters the monster.
    We are not here to discuss the finer philosophical points of the monster as a figure of the unknown, or a manifestation of humanity's inner animal chaos. (So STOP DOING THAT, JEEZ)
    We are here to talk about the exquisite art of designing these selfsame monsters. And to share and share alike our vast reserves of favourite creature design in any media.
    So i'll start with a classic, maybe the greatest we will see in our time
    z589B.jpgAnd i'll bullshit for about a paragraph under the spoiler, feel free to do likewise with your images.
    The Xenomorph is almost perfect as a design because, like all great monsters it enscapulates every aspect of the human psyche we abhor - it is a faceless, bestial destructive force, both male and female simultaneously - male in it's phallic appearance and aggressive manner, female in it's personification of the vast u unknown and peculiar method of reproduction (These traits are exemplified in the Queen, who completes the Mother/Maiden/Crone triad in Aliens). It's form is redolent of a human structure but heavily altered and grotesquely textured - the tail is especially important, because it pushes the design off of intelligent humanoid territory and into deep reptilian zones - it is our aforementioned animal chaos and sexual self-destructiveness manifest.

GET YO MONSTERS HERE FOLKS

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Davy Jones is one of my favorite designs for a character ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jnx3mXhVo

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    We talking about creatures?

jurassic_bush_raptor.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Howard the Duck.

Duck tits.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    RED PANDA FERRET

Fire_Ferret.png

BLM - ACAB
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Drawing HP Lovecraft monsters is like filling in the blank, only the blanks are entire paragraphs

Ehhhh, sometimes

There is a lot that is not described, or described as indescribable, particularly when we're talking gods and things like that

But there are also some incredibly vivid descriptions of the more "mundane" creatures that his protagonists encounter

Honestly a lot of my favorite Lovecraft is the stuff that is not based around these massive cosmic evils, but instead just around isolated horrifying events and situations

It is like watching the X-Files, for me

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Drawing awful monsters is pretty good times.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    You know what creatures I always enjoyed? The Wumps.

Wump_World.jpg

Probably my most read and easily favorite book from my childhood.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ChicoBlue wrote:
    Drawing awful monsters is pretty good times.

yissss.
    hmmmm.

The-Lorax-Movie.jpg

• BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    dehpin.gif

sig-1.jpg
    The most horrifying creature in an animated movie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx6QliaetKk

• FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    humanimals.

ETqXK.png
    I loved Katie.

• PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Berk
    YOU WIN
    Also @Skullman - If the Necronom IV painting alone disturbs you I sincerely and strongly warn you to never ever look at any other Giger work ever.
    BUT DO BECAUSE YESSSS

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    what's that weird codex that's like a science book from another world

all frogs turning into bicycles and stuff

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    God, what the hell was up with Katie?

BLM - ACAB
  • CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    Yes this is basically my absolute dream job what I would love to do with my life

I really doubt it's gonna happen tho

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod