As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX concerts

2»

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    Dr. Noh wrote:
    MJPM wrote:
    +1 for TMBG!
    Dr. Noh wrote:
    Anamanguchi have only played 1

More suggestions...

MC Chris
    Bit Shifter
    Glomag
    The Advantage
    Weird Al
    The Black Mages
    Nerf Herder
    Weezer
    Ozma

We need to be realistic, here. At least one of those (Weezer) are an act that could command a $60 ticket price by themselves. I'd love to see TMBG or other, similar acts but I dunno...I just don't see it happening.

(snip)

I have a few acts I would love to see at PAX. (But I also have buzzkill reasons why they'd be tough to get.)

Powerglove - Boss video game metal! But they are on tour with other metal acts almost constantly.

Limozeen - The Homestar Runner guys Live! But they've been busy with family, their site hasn't been updated regularly in two years, and I've never heard of them traveling far out of Atlanta.

Wierd Al - Great idea and I would love to see him at PAX, but he plays the Puyallup Fair in mid-September every year; he might not want to make the double trip to our fine corner of the country.

MC Chris - PAX had him booked a few years ago, but he cancelled a couple weeks before the event... Definitely worth trying again.

CarboHydroM - In addition to his other fine work, I've always wanted to hear "Unsealed" live, but he's just one man... It would be lot of work for the Minibosses or someone else to learn the set and back him up. (Unsealed - Epic Zelda metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoqURC61eHo)

Now, even more of a reach:
    Armin Van Buuren did a sweet, sweet trance remix of the Cheetahmen theme once upon a time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRGWdqLUlME); but then, PAX is not a rave. (Drugs are bad, remember.) Still, it would be something new, PAX-wise. (Alas, Armin is a world class trance act and could command his own show; but if he has a bunch of video game mixes up his sleeve, then the show would be epic!)
    Ooh! Or maybe OCRemix could put together an ensemble DJ show, eh? eh!? Yeahhh!

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    I'm glad I'm not the only person that knows who CarboHydroM is. I have a lot of his stuff and enjoy it greatly. The only thing is that there are rather a lot of other "rock/metal versions of video game music" artists out there that would probably be a bigger draw. And who don't live in France...

• Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Initialdor wrote:
    Wierd Al - Great idea and I would love to see him at PAX, but he plays the Puyallup Fair in mid-September every year; he might not want to make the double trip to our fine corner of the country.

Yankovic is a Washingtonian at heart (Straight outta Lynnwood, dawg); I wonder if he would be willing to make the trip twice, should demand be high enough.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Liger wrote:
    Initialdor wrote:

Yankovic is a Washingtonian at heart (Straight outta Lynnwood, dawg)

*cough*Wrong Lynnwood*cough*

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    ArdentbiscuitArdentbiscuit Registered User regular
    I think Weird Al is a great idea but he might require too high of price tag. Also, Amrin Van Buuren is cool. He is one of the top DJ's in the world and would require too much money. Also, the majority of his music would't work well with PAX.

I for one would love to see Lonely Island or Tenacious D but they would be way too expensive.

As for smaller bands. I would recommend these:

Visa Roster - They do acapella versions of Commodore 64 games, they are awesome and from Sweden! See links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=411W1vSh_o0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAY_fJ4IHHE&amp;feature=related

I would also recommend Peelander Z - Japanese band that dresses up. Lots of fun! See link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxiqM2UrXgw

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The problem with names like Weird Al is that people would buy up PAX passes just for his show and not for PAX. The concerts are for PAX attendees. It wouldn't do well for PAX to book an act that would sell out a venue on their own, then tell people they need a PAX pass to attend said concert.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'd be happy if the Minibosses didn't close the Saturday concert one year. It's really hard to make it that late when your body is still on EST.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote:
    I'd be happy if the Minibosses didn't close the Saturday concert one year. It's really hard to make it that late when your body is still on EST.
    You...sleep? During PAX weekend!?

What manner of witchcraft is this!!?!?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote:

They didn't this year...

...they closed the Friday concert :P

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote:
    Artereis wrote:

They didn't this year...

...they closed the Friday concert :P

Oops, meant Friday. Even the memory of the time change is difficult, apparently.

• Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    Initialdor wrote:
    Powerglove - Boss video game metal! But they are on tour with other metal acts almost constantly.

They were at PAX East this year, in a semi-official Jam Space concert (which I believe, in addition to the other artists, led to the subsequent Jam Space crackdown of PAX Prime 2011...). I hope that maybe that will change in the future.

paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Visa Roster - They do acapella versions of Commodore 64 games, they are awesome and from Sweden! See links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=411W1vSh_o0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAY_fJ4IHHE

Theres umpteen dozen college acappella groups in Boston and I know a couple of them do video game music in their shows. They might be willing to perform at East.

And of course theres something like 3 or 4 different groups at MIT...and they probably all go to East anyways :P

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I've only ever been to this one PAX Prime, and while I'd heard of most of the artists I'd never really listened to any of them. I only attended the big JoCo et. al. show on, what was that, Saturday? I remember my buddies being really excited for JoCo, but I really ended up preferring Paul and Storm. For one thing, I could understand them! About the only time I could understand JoCo was when the music slowed down or I knew a few of the words. I felt kinda bad for him when he was doing some of his new stuff, since it seemed like the audience didn't know it and we couldn't make out any of the lyrics the mood got kind of sleepy there for a while.
    I also felt bad for Supercommuters, as soon as JoCo ended about 2/3 of the audience just got up and left before they even started. I stuck around for a while and thought they actually sounded pretty cool, but I had to stick with my group so I didn't stay for the whole thing. Probably would've been nicer to SC if they'd been lined up first instead of after all the big names.

I really liked the venue, really classy looking place, but it would've been nice if they'd have more options for snacks and drinks, especially after sitting in line for two hours or so and then everyone saying "no outside food/drinks allowed." It seemed like there was a disconnect of some sort between the PAX people and the Paramount people, at least from what I was hearing. Also would've been nice to have a map of the place, all those tiers got me kind of lost when it came to finding the bathrooms. The first time I was there (oh yeah I forgot about Roosterteeth) I recall there being a bathroom on the second floor or something but I couldn't for the life of me find it the next day. Speaking of Roosterteeth, kind of embarrassing the video got all crapped out during their big reveal. I don't watch RvB so I wasn't exactly bummed but I'm sure most of the audience was. They were good sports about it and had the film playing the rest of the con at their booth, but I wonder if that was on them for the video failing or someone else, 'cuz the video gave out a little even during the closing ceremonies, too.

Um, I don't know about anything else. I guess it was kind of funny to have these old people yelling "no running!" at everybody, and a little intimidating, too. I don't recall anyone flat-out running, but I guess when you're used to being bound up in suits and gowns anything faster than a stroll is running.