As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arcadian Views

Benjamin.Benjamin. Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Artist's Corner
Long time, no post. I don't know how many even remember the comic battles that were once held around these parts, but they are still going and keeping me drawing constantly. I've not posted related art from it here since the forum split off but there is no reason not to! Thus here's a dump of semi recent things - any feedback would of course be appreciated!

Cyberpunk jam!

cyberpunkfull.jpg

Rodriguez Bros.

crashyr.jpg

The Valkyries, rebel mercenary squad types.

valkyriesf.jpg

EWA!

ewarm.jpg

A birthday present:

forfive.jpg

Scenery attempts (with some perspective flaws)

arccitiy.jpg

fscrater.jpg

echelonboulevardentranc.jpg

Frank Miller jam:

gregor.jpg

The life of a character (a prime minister with lycanthropy):

laikaages.jpg

And expressions too (mostly angry):

pmexpressions.jpg

Here's my most recent few comic pages, concluding a somewhat unusual plotline, if that can be excused:

2page1e.jpg

2page2.jpg

2page3.jpg

15661_s.gif
Benjamin. on

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Benj is back!
    Your colours are better than ever man, I love it.
    Also, the War for Arcadia is still going? wow.gif

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man I remember just getting back into art and getting into the WFA back in like 2006-2007. I just went back and looked at all of the horrible stuff I drew. Ugh.. I should sign back up.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    holy shucking fit
    love the style sir
    one thing that jumps out at me: perspective
    especially highlighted in the piece with the double staircase- it's wobbly

Tam on
  • NamNam Registered User regular
    Cool, reminds me of Transmetropolitan.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Its crazy how complex your stuff is, I dont even want to know how long it takes. I love the first one especially.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Holyshit this is fucking lovely, your colours are phenomenal
    I love that sort of bladerunnery city

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    BWAA everytime I see your stuff I can't think to say anything except, A) your comics are way rad, and B) your coloring blows my mind. Sorry if you were expecting something helpful or constructive.

I never saw that EWA before, its fucking way rad and the colors blow my mind!!! I love that latest comic you posted too, which I also hadn't seen yet. Its crazy how shocking yet seamless that color scheme shift is, on the last page.

• Benjamin.Benjamin. Registered User regular
    Many thanks my fine fellows! I am happy to hear the colours are well received. I'm a detail addict too, I do wish I could make everything as intricate as the first pic but it really does take excessive amounts of time.

Yep, WFA is still happening regularly, and anyone interested in having a go at comic combat or returning should be welcome! Hint hint subtle hint.

I agree on the perspective - I guess faking it isn't always good enough, I should try to construct it properly next time I do such a scene. I think the floor in that hallway is the worst offender.

15661_s.gif
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    On the rare occasion I do wander over to silently stalk the WFA forums it is, truthfully, mostly always just to see what you're up to, Ben. Your stuff was always fantastic but you just keep cramming in more to look at.

Your wobbly perspective does tip its hand re: its fakedness but I've never been bothered by it overmuch. Not to say you shouldn't study perspective if you want to ace it, but its very wobbliness has always lent even more warped otherworldliness & a greater sense of hand craftsmanship to your stuff.

Grats on coming over here and making me miss you & WFA, sir.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Battling keeps your game tight. I hadn't even seen some of this stuff, its really glorious and amazing to see how far you've come over the last 5 years- jeez. We should all evolve so rapidly. Maybe I'll post some of my old/new stuff for comparison.

Its so nice to see some oldtimers around these parts.

XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    Holy colors! You have some great style. I would buy the hell out of a graphic novel done by you.

• AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Jumping on the bandwagon- Some of my stuff as well, I've gotten a bit better over the years but struggle with making the leap to digital and coloring stuff. I could definitely use some critique on anatomy, linework and perspective as well. Pointers on how to start coloring would be immensely helpful as well. We admittedly don't do a whole lot of critique and criticism on each others stuff.

A Cover to a 50 page collab
    Tinwoodsman-Hellbreakersdobattle.jpg

All of these were done with bic pens before I discovered the wonder of Copics and Pitts

newarcadianstinmandx.jpg

luis-4horsemen-combi.jpg

hellspread-merged.jpg

horsetowater.jpg

TheDescent.jpg

Some T and A for your patience.

mindy2.jpg

hellbreakerspg27.jpg

Keep em coming!

XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • FiveFive Registered User regular
    EWA, that picture of Earthworm Adam was done especially for the WFA artbook. :-)

And yes, WFA is still going on. Round 30 is starting next week!

I think I should post some of my art too, maybe in a separate thread though.

15849_s.gif
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    WFA was fun!

edited September 2011
    squuueeeEE

cant wait to get this artbooook

earthwormadam on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Epic.
    Win.

• RunicRunic New YorkRegistered User new member
    All brilliant stuff Ben, Tin (Antibodies)!
    Please post more!

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'm feeling like your line work is way too heavy in a lot of areas. The line work should be more delicate in areas and I'm specifically referencing the buildings in the distance. It really kills the illusion of depth. Crazy detail though, you must have whatever the opposite of ADHD is. :^:

Mustang on
    Many thanks, you guys! Any feedback I will try and bear in mind. Squid, you are missed over there but I make sure to keep up with Next Town Over (steampunk spellcasting cowboys make me happy). I'll try to post here more often! Tinmantibodies, it is of course great to see your crazily complicated stuff round these parts.

A couple more things!

Left 4 Dead parody for a zombie jam (a bit rushed in parts, sorry):

left4arcadia.jpg

And a reference for a "new" character - a clone soldier command unit:

heavenroyale.jpg

15661_s.gif
    Too many cool things to point out in that pic, but I'll make an exception for Luis punching a zombie in the face.

Thanks EWA! He is of course only in there as an obtuse Left 4 Dead joke.

I forgot to show this one here before:

heaveny.jpg

royale.jpg

I'd like to find a way to be quicker with these. Maybe try some different styles soon. I'd post my other recent comic pages but they were part of a collaboration with Five, so they'd be even more fragmentary than usual! But here's a few portraits of some others' characters from the last week or so. Because they are easy and I am lazy.

gerardh.jpg

vexed.jpg

kvirm.jpg

skyfoe.jpg

skullfacec.jpg

fuyuki.jpg

reternate.jpg

15661_s.gif