As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wow yes the cowboys is awesome

i demand a comic called "cowboys and bullshit" where I can see these 2 factions go to war

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Poncho cowboy is the best thing (top right, last image). Are you using these for something or just for fun/practice?

Enc on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I'm still in portfolio building mode as I look for work, so I guess practice. I don't have a back story or anything. Just trying to take a random concept and build on it quickly.

Rolo, thanks for the tips, patterns would be an interesting way to set them apart, and I can play with the poncho-ness.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gawd, why does your stuff have to be so damn awesome? THERES NEVER ENOUGH OF IT :(

I'll just oggle these for the next few weeks I guess :P

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Needed to bust out some paint to do a commission, but I needed to loosen up too:
    zya1tl2bxutf.png

Unfortunately, its blurry since it cant sit on the glass from being to big, also the colors are slightly off. There's another inch on the left that I didn't feel like stitching on.

edit:
    eh, minor shopping
    vpegx252w4jr.png

Iruka on
  • Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That looks really nice, the colors look vivid and overall it's great. My only problem is that her skirt makes no sense at all. I don't really know where it's start and where it ends apart from that it's a great painting.

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    I like it, although I have to confess I'm not so sure about some of the forms on the face- it feels like you might be overthinking things a bit and really wanting to force really defined planes in spots where you don't really need them. It kinda feels a bit like a wooden mask of someone's face than an actual person's face, if that makes any sense- which could very well be your intention, I don't know (if it is, obviously ignore me here).

Basically what I'm talking about most of all is the deep dark shadow in between the eyebrows and nose, which make it look there's a big square divot right there, and sorta makes it look like the nose is a whole separate object laid on top of the face, rather than being an integrated part of the face. Given the lighting, I would think the shading there would be subtle to non-existent- if it were a more noiry, straight top down light setup having a really pronounced shadow there would make more sense.

IrukaFace.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

IrukaFace.jpg

I vote this as irukas new avatar :D

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks Bacon, I appreciate the paint over. I'll work out the light in the real painting. I definitively like having some defined planes in the face, particularly in girls where her personality is supposed to be just a little more hard edged, but I'm still sorta in hard mode ore soft mode, I need to start pushing them together.

Mabelma, its not a skirt , its These Pants which are connected to her sweater leotard thing, and her legs, that brim is loose. Its pretty nonsensical looking in the painting, I didn't really plan it out at all, just dove in.

ninjai, its not angry faced enough for my avatar.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ohh I see it now, well it that image it makes a lot more sense but on the actual painting it really makes no sense at all but to tell you the truth it's just a minor issue that shouldn't get you stressed at all.

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Wanted to just draw something for fun, sorta took a break today. You may not know that Daenerys is a BAMF if you arent into game of thrones, but shes the fucking dragon.
    32inj929ajff.png

Every thing is still kinda incomplete, but I'm not sure if I'll keep working on it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Love this. I really really do.

(But the super OCD nerd part of me needs to let you know that her eyes are supposed to be violet lol)

Chromatomic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    O.M.F.G...

wow. :o

ninjai on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Uhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhh

Ayes. The khaleesi quickly became one of my favorite characters the more I watched : )

Very nice work. That is badass!

F87 on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, Daeny is pretty awesome. I can't wait to see what happens with her in the next book. Yeah, the nerd in me wants to point out that one of her dragons is black and she has violet eyes too. The eye thing really annoyed me in the show. But otherwise, I love the way this picture is looking.

Grifter on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's really sweet, Iruka. I feel like there's a borderline tangent going on with the curve of the green dragon's wing and the girls face.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Haven't read the books (way too short of an attention span for that), so thanks for the tips. I can make her eyes violet, or at least get some purple flecks in there. The one on her shoulder was going to be black, I don't know why I got so green, I can change that up pretty fast too. Guess it deserves another pass.

Iruka on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Did some searching around for physical descriptions of her. Finally found this one so you don't have to read the books. tl;dr

http://asoiafvisualreference.wikia.com/wiki/Daenerys_Targaryen

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Grif. Guess I wont get that golden-silver in there, but I did change the eye color
    egfoqf41dlom.png

Gonna leave it there, I have to get back to actual work.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Y.
    r u not an illustrator? srsly. That is awesome.

ninjai on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Your colors are as always the most gorgeous shit in the world Iruka. How did you go about getting your hands on that awesome awesome eye for colors?

m3nace on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah third'd, this is awesome awesome awesome, truly lovely stuff!

(A little late to the party but I also love the cowboys on the previous page :3 )

Kronus on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Damn Iruka, that is seriously pretty.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    m3nace, I really color by guess and check. Throw down some color and hope they work, if not wipe down start again. It usually takes me a while to really arrive at what the overall scheme will be, I just kinda go with it.

anyways, thanks dudes.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    This thread is kinda dead.

hucn9rmgmo91.jpg

3vquiiam2z6h.jpg

Comic from the comic thing

Sketchbook stuff
    sg3fcl28wevg.jpg

0gbt2kzuhsiw.jpg

Here I realized that ignoreing the more "arms out" position for bases like this is dumb
    tlnh9s6uf8tz.jpg
    otvrot57rx2f.jpg
    j6g0i8a3aaiv.jpg
    ayhzb9nf8cq6.jpg
    c3nbyjmmuvcp.png

lob5yyimn21d.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    That last one is great, I really like the colours. The second last one looks like a cool character but his foot looks weird to me. It could just be the angle but his left foot looks a bit too round on the bottom.

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Digging everything, but especially inspired (again) by your quick little environments.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    his foots a little off, coleman, your right. That doodle is from a while ago, at this point.
    Thanks squid! My little enviros still need alot of work, I havent been plugging away at them like I was.
    1zmwfuhd2bb8.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    ChromatomicChromatomic Mr. DCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Oooh will there be a mouthface sequel?

I really love the flowers, are they meant to go along with the alien duders above them?

Chromatomic on
  • Options
    Yeah, I will probably try to do some more iterations of those, though. the flowers are sorta poisonous and those guys dont look like they belong. Same universe (with the wrangling pants chick) though

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Mouthface is cool, reminds me of some of the things in Brutal Legend

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Fancy mouthface should be submitted to some kind of t-shirt thing, so I can have a alternative to my other mouthface shirt.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I dont think fancy mouthface is dynamic enough for a shirt, and hes without mouthpet. It would be nice to make a few tees though.

fw65m3o1jlwg.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    You're using a lot of hard angles in your lines, which is making the figure look more masculine. She can still be muscular, but try curving your lines some more to give it a feminine feel. It's most noticeable in the back view. Bigger hips may also help, but of course there's nothing wrong with varying the figure. Another a small note is that the elbows look a bit strange, protruding so much. Is she really so bony?

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I'm no anatomy expert, but the ribs look a little odd. The transition to the stomach is kind of jarring, I feel like it should be smoother.

But then again, it does have an oversized skullface.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    The wrangler is supposed to be very masculine, and very lean. Its also stylized, I think I'll probably end up with larger hands. The elbows did turn out weird, though I'll work at them. Generally I'm just having fun doing a flip in my sketch book with just a ruler, I can already see some inconsistencies with the two sides, so hopefully I'll start to catch them earlier.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I think you are getting a little too literal with the anatomy for her. The concept of her with clothing has mass, but it is also a lot of sleekness and clean lines. I think that could follow through to her body underneath without compromising the idea you have of her.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Iruka did you ever post that thing you did for mully and I?

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Seems to me like the foundation and construction of your characters are getting much more solid.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I appreciate it EWA, Im working at it.

Bombsy, No, I dont think so. I lost track of the date that it was supposed to be given to you and surprise-ruining would have been bad! I hoped you liked it! I'll have to find the jpeg on my external, but you can post it if you have it on hand.

3w430byq4lsg.jpg

Iruka on