As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Tuesday Sept. 13, 2011

2»

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    really minus the shoveling dog doodoo being paid my wage to walk dogs would be pretty nice!

but I love dogs so much

• Options
    pyrojapyroja Registered User new member
    The studio in the news post has to be Naughty Dog.

I'd be more inclined to say Zynga.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you were deemed to have enough free time to walk the dogs, you probably weren't truly a valued member of the team.

While he might of thought this was a way to get in good, it had to be a red flag when everybody else is busting ass for 80 hour weeks and he's strolling the park.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    I just registered to say some things:

People who say they're REALLY good at their job-- aren't. People who are really good at their job are quiet and do it and don't need to tell other people about it because they make the point with their work.

I just registered to say:

Oh, bullshit. I've met plenty of people who are smart and capable, yet arrogant as fuck. The smartest dude I know practically never stops patting himself on the back, but he gets shit done, period.

Blanket statements FTL.

I know a lot of guys who are smart, capable, arrogant as fuck, and never get anything accomplished. I also know a few of them that get stuff done. None of them, that I've met so far, are particularly all-around awesome at their job. I've met a lot of humble people who are very capable at what they do, however.

• Options
    Human ShieldHuman Shield Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

Oh, bullshit. I've met plenty of people who are smart and capable, yet arrogant as fuck. The smartest dude I know practically never stops patting himself on the back, but he gets shit done, period.
    Congratulations on being suckered in by his hype. Too bad being "the smartest dude you know" doesn't necessarily make a person good at their job. "Getting shit done" doesn't necessarily make a person good at their job. I stand by my statement.
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    Three of the "greatest" webcomic artists/writers of our generation, who between them almost essentially defined webcomics, and they can't deliver something more interesting than any of the other random stuff I'm reading every day. And they deliver less often than most of them, too.
    This is almost exactly what I was saying. Three renowned webcomic personas gang together and this Trenches webcomic sucks. It's not funny in the least. The jokes are subpar for Ziggy, the character designs are stagnant and look like they were cobbled together from an Ed Emberley book, and the stories they're getting game testers to share are self-fellating sobfests, This is awful.

I'm reminded of the year 2000. Kevin Spacey. Helen Hunt. Haley Joel Osment. Three oscar winners, coming together. What did they make? Pay It Forward, an awful, awful movie. The Trenches is the Pay It Forward of webcomics.

Human Shield on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This story just demonstrates that in all careers one has to start at the bottom.
    Sorry.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I enjoy these comics.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I am giving them some time to get the comic on its feet and set up. I at first thought, sure a couple weeks and then we'll have been introduced to the characters and they will be in a work environment together and then it will get better, and maybe this is still true, but it's just taking longer than I wanted. Perhaps they are just giving us too much backstory/buildup before actually getting to THE story, which is of course working in the trenches. Then I realized maybe this IS the story and I made incorrect assumptions about what the "trenches" are. Based on the horror story entries, and comments here, a large part of working in the industry to looking for work off and on, constantly.

Another thing I noticed is that if I just read the strip I wouldn't know that it was a strip about working in the trenches of the gaming industry. I seems so far like it could be a normal office setting and nothing really makes it part of the game development industry so far.

What I think would have/still will help is if they (at least to get us started off) gave us more strips at once than 2 a week. I have a sense they do them in batches, and/or they have a stockpile that they are going through and at the same time adding to, for those periods where they may end up busy with other things (projects, life) and being able to skip making 2 trenches strips a week because they can just pull from the stockpile would help greatly. That's a great setup, but starting out the funny and the development has been REALLY slow with only 2 short strips a week.

In the end I will still read it, and I'm sure it'll grow into something that I enjoy. I really like having a new strip from Mike & Jerry 5 days a week, or I like the idea of it. I also have the feeling that if I were to walk away and then start over reading Trenches a year from now it would read much better because it wouldn't feel so slow or piecemeal.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

Congratulations on being suckered in by his hype. Too bad being "the smartest dude you know" doesn't necessarily make a person good at their job. "Getting shit done" doesn't necessarily make a person good at their job. I stand by my statement.

You do realize, when thenightwatchman says 'smart and capable', 'smartest dude he knows', and 'gets shit done', he is probably referring to being good at his job, considering he was responding exactly to what you were saying? Simply because he did not use the words 'good at his job', you are standing by your statement?

If you're still going to stand by your statement, well then I know people who are arrogant and good at their job. So there. Blanket statements are dumb.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, this comic has made a bunch of people register solely to argue with other people who just registered.

When do we get to give the thumbs down and have them fed to lions?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    LTM wrote:
    If nothing else, this comic has made a bunch of people register solely to argue with other people who just registered.

How is people joining to engage in a relevant argument a bad thing?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's OK, once the new Trenches comic ships we can lay them all off.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    It's OK, once the new Trenches comic ships we can lay them all off.

BAM!
    Nothing wrong with it, I just want to know when we bring in the lions...

• Options
    glorpglorp Registered User regular
    most obvious ending to a story ever!
    everybody else is working overtime to get this thing done and they see you there, hey you're not busy, can you walk the dogs? this is a sign that you should not expect to be highly valued at the end of the project

• Options
    elephantincelephantinc Registered User new member
    LTM wrote:

I registered just to say...

It was actually a thumbs up to have them killed; I think it was hollywood that made people think otherwise....

• Options
    the nightwatchmanthe nightwatchman Registered User regular

You misunderstand. I've worked with the guy. This isn't a question of me "being suckered in" by anything. I've seen him at work, both on his own and on things where we shared responsibility. He fucked up from time to time like everyone else, but by and large he was among the best.

My anecdotal example wasn't really the point though... I just hate it when people generalize things like they're obvious facts when they clearly aren't. "People who say they're REALLY good at their job, aren't," is a silly blanket statement. You know this is a fact, universally? You've not only never met an arrogant person who is good at what they do, but you also deny that such a person could possibly exist? Nonsense.

I mean, I will gladly agree that lots of people say "I'm great at... " whatever it is, and then turn out to be complete doorknobs. Absolutely. But there is such a thing as an arrogant person who is really good at their job. Maybe you haven't met one, and that's fine, but they're out there. :)

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    LTM wrote:

It was actually a thumbs up to have them killed; I think it was hollywood that made people think otherwise....

I like this guy already...

Also, yeah, if I'm off running silly errands I don't expect that my job is going to get saved when they are laying off 60% of the rest of their staff.

If I get asked to do something not even related to my job and that is ridiculous I'd just be like "I'm super busy with this, and don't have much time to be away from it, but if you'd like I could [propose temporary solution or quick fix]"

Quick thoughts that come to mind are running a post in the ground with leads on several different places on the lawn, so you can just tie the dogs up real quick when they need to go out, then bring em back in after a few minutes. End of the day, trash can and one of those scoopers you can be done in ~10 minutes and you not only look like a helpful person with great ideas, you look like someone who's focused on his job

• Options
    Human ShieldHuman Shield Registered User regular
    I mean, I will gladly agree that lots of people say "I'm great at... " whatever it is, and then turn out to be complete doorknobs. Absolutely. But there is such a thing as an arrogant person who is really good at their job. Maybe you haven't met one, and that's fine, but they're out there. :)

Fair enough. I will believe it when I see it though. :D

• Options
    elephantincelephantinc Registered User new member
    edited September 2011
    LTM wrote:

I like this guy already...

etc.

I wouldn't get too attached to me, those lions are pretty fast.

elephantinc on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    If you don't think that arrogant people can be good at their jobs then you have never spoken with an air traffic controller

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    If you don't think that arrogant people can be good at their jobs then you have never spoken with an air traffic controller

To be fair, it's probably safe to assume that most people have never spoken with an air traffic controller.

• Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Houk wrote:

To be fair, it's probably safe to assume that most people have never spoken with an air traffic controller.

Let's be frank: a trained monkey could do the job of a air traffic controller. We're not talking about people who make hadron colliders, we're talking about people who verbally park aircrafts, and tell aircrafts not to hit each other in the air, which, all the same, how do you collide with all that space? The only reason the air traffic controller job is difficult, is because as soon as you fuck up, a plane is most likely going to be destroyed and people are going to die.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that an arrogant air traffic controller who is good at his/her job is immensely lowering the bar for everyone else.

Maverikk on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    My cousin is an air traffic controller. Let me tell you, it don't take no mega-brain.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular

Fair enough. I will believe it when I see it though. :D

Two words:

Robert Khoo

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm