Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The D&D Book Thread (recommendations in OP, free novels on page 7)

1555657585961»

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo All the world's a meat raffle, And all the men and women merely players Registered User regular
    I could only make it half way through Ender's Game. I don't know how many times people recommended that book to me, and I just now read it (im 33). I thought it was really really bad. Simplistic writing, marty stew, it leaves me wondering about my friends who recommended it...

It's pretty seminal sci-fi. I'd recommend soldiering on.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] Registered User regular
    I could only make it half way through Ender's Game. I don't know how many times people recommended that book to me, and I just now read it (im 33). I thought it was really really bad. Simplistic writing, marty stew, it leaves me wondering about my friends who recommended it...

Apparently Card wrote it simply on purpose, to make it more... readable, I guess. While I think it is hugely over-rated (if often appears at or near the top of the best-ever sci-fi books) it is still a very good book, and still one of my favorites despite its issues. Speaker for the Dead is (slightly) better in my opinion, with the rest of the books in the series after that being not worth reading. Like the post above I'd recommend sticking with it, it is a very easy read so finishing it isn't much of a chore.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    MMm. Marty stew. Good with a nice red wine.

Anywho, to the fella from the last page.
    The Repairman Jack novels are ok. Some are better than others. The writing is decent, usually. Quick reads.

Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Dalboz wrote:
    Haven't been around much. Been busy.

But I have gotten around to putting the new poll up on this group's Goodreads home. Specifically, the poll is for what our fourth quarter (October through December) group read should be. All candidates were chosen at random from the recommended reading list. The choices are:
    Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
    Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
    The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
    The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

Voting ends September 20. Head on over to the link and to the polls section over there to vote.

Also starting with the next group read (first quarter of 2012), I'll start using some genre and nonfiction selections from the recommended reading list, so there's more of a cross-section to the whole thing.

I did not know this was a thing. And cool the group is reading a book I absolutely love.

I Do Design | I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle)
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I'm looking to read Divine Comedy, but it looks like there are quite a few English translations out there. Is there a definitive one? Or at least, which translations are recommended?

steam_sig.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Double post. wtf is it with this thread and post lag?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Double post. wtf is it with this thread and post lag?

Old thread, pre-new forums (which I sometimes forget has happened, since installing stylish and making the new forums look just like the old).

All the long old threads are slow to load, super-slow to post.

I figure I could take a bear.
This discussion has been closed.