As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's the Blitzkrieg Bop. - Fear Itself

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Makes sense since he really liked Final Crisis. However, he's discussed that before. Nice to see him reiterate it.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Frank Cho also has the ability to correctly guess the bra size of any woman he meets. And I can confirm that since I've seen him at several conventions.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Frank Cho also has the ability to correctly guess the bra size of any woman he meets. And I can confirm that since I've seen him at several conventions.

Creepily impressive

• Options
    edited September 2011
    That's only because they don't quite make bras for ass cheeks.

I bet he follows Kim Kardashian on Twitter unironically.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    From an interview on the upcoming CASANOVA Vol 3:

http://www.bookslut.com/features/2011_09_018089.php
    Fraction wrote:
    Exactly! Fear Itself is kind of all I have to say about the illusion of death in comics. It’s my Houdini theory: that nobody went to see Houdini because they wanted to see Houdini die. People went to see Houdini because they wanted to see Houdini almost die. But they wanted to see him get out of it; they wanted to see the escape. Comics are escape fiction -- not escapist fiction, but escape fiction. We want to see how our ideal selves get out of messes that we find ourselves in, literally or metaphorically. It’s never about the death. The death is never real in comics. It’s always about the return, the escape. That’s why we read them. And that it’s been turned into a marketing ploy is a gag! Houdini always has the key under his tongue. That’s the joke.

Ha!

Book slut.

Also, it really is time to read Casanova.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Casanova vol 3 #1 comes out this week!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Casanova is pretty heavy and trippy stuff if you read from the very beginning.

Telling people to start with Volume 3 is a bad idea.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have to say I'm somewhat impressed with Fear Itself. It really feels like the Serpent is a real threat (unlike, say, the creature from Chaos War, which came out of fucking nowhere).

What I have to wonder, not having read Thor books for the better part of 20 years, is how dickish Odin seems to be. I remember the Walt Simonsen Odin - and today's Odin seems perfectly happy to anhilate Midgard and to tyrannize Asgard, wtf

• Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2011
    double post fail for me

Lolken on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Odin's an asshole. He's always been an asshole. Deal with it.
    Lolken wrote:
    (unlike, say, the creature from Chaos War, which came out of fucking nowhere).
    Out of nowhere being the Oeming Ares miniseries and Sacred goddamn Invasion.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Didn't he appear in a Thor mini by Oeming?

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    might have

But he was certainly a previous villain from no less than two books that set him up as a big uber villain

• Options
    I googled it. His debut was in Thor: Blood Oath, but yeah they had been building him up as a major threat within the Herc or Greek Gods side of things.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    What Marvel writers have portrayed Odin as a dick in the past?

I am really pretty curious about this, especially since Odin was really grounded, honorable and even loving in the movie, so it seems odd for Marvel to make the character a colossal dick at this point in time.

• Options
    Odin was a real dick back in Kirby's day

It's pretty much his standard set-up

• Options
    edited September 2011
    As far as I know, all of them.

We had this discussion six months ago. I think the only one who didn't was JMS(?). Someone post-Ragnarok.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Simonson's Odin wasn't a dick. The Lee/Kirby one usually was, the Thomas/Adams/Kirby/Buscema Odin definitely was, the DeFalco/Frenz Odin kind of went off and on (but it was a story point). Jurgens/JRJR, somewhat but not really.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Heroes for Hire #11 was a red sky tie-in. Nothing at all to do with Fear Itself at this point. And it felt really decompressed, as if DnA have said screw it and moved on to Villains for Hire (which is now a mini).

• Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Reading FI #1 and WOW is Odin ever a dick.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way... :lol:

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote:
    Heroes for Hire #11 was a red sky tie-in. Nothing at all to do with Fear Itself at this point. And it felt really decompressed, as if DnA have said screw it and moved on to Villains for Hire (which is now a mini).

This really, really shat me. Especially the ending. It really is like they just kinda gave up. For a series that started out strong with Atlantean drug dealers and velociraptors fight clubs, it sure did just fizzle out.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Gank wrote:
    velociraptors fight clubs
    Wow. I must read this.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    image0008.jpg
    Steve takes shit from no one.

It's even better with text.

• Options
    The next page Odin basically kicks him out of Asgard, so it's pretty much a wash. The last two pages with Steve were much better I thought and the highlight of the issue.

I just flipped through FI #6, but it seemed really off for the second to last issue in terms of content. All the Worthy stuff kind of stops, Tony's plan is unveiled, and the Spider-Man stuff seemed superfluous. If this was issue #4 or 5 it would have made more sense, as right now it read very similar to Blackest Night, only one issue later.

• Options
    Yeah, 1-3 were all pretty bland, 4 and 5 finally had some things going for them and got me pretty excited, and 6 just felt like padding until the final conflict.

All of the ground had either been covered before or was totally obvious.

The scenes between Odin and Thor were nice, though. And the final scene with Steve in Broxton, although he felt really... off this issue, I guess. The scene with Spider-Man was a total waste of time, though.

• Options
    So the Serpent wants everyone to be afraid, and the way to stop him is for everyone not to fear him and ... zzzzzzz

Wasn't that the plotline of the Darkseid storyline of Superman when he kills Turpin at the end?

• Options
    The whole Big Bad feeding on a negative emotion has been done, however differently, many times before. Hell,
    JiM #627 just covered the fact that The Serpent is bogarting Nightmares deal.

Still, the scenes with Thor and Odin made getting the issue worth while and even with the next page rendering it moot, I loved Steve mouthing off to Odin.

All I really want now is to see Immonen draw The Mighty.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    You know what? I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Norman Osborn Was Right

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    The scenes between Odin and Thor were nice, though. And the final scene with Steve in Broxton, although he felt really... off this issue, I guess. The scene with Spider-Man was a total waste of time, though.

I think I realized why I liked the last pages with Steve so much, in that he basically turns into USAgent for those scenes:
    fearitself6c-Copy.jpg

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    My online TF2 persona is USAgent, and my steamid haha I love him so much

• Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    pretty generic designs for the mighty
    BeholdTheMighty_02.jpg

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    They'll look better when Immonen draws them

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Wolverine seems to be a problem. They made a big deal about how the only way Odin could enhance IronMan was if he jumped in the Uru lava himself. Is Logan just gonna, like, dip his claws in?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Maybe they can just cover his skeleton in Uru.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So, I'm not sure if I understand what's going on with Odin. He's willing to forsake and burn all of Earth to save his son from the big bad... which is why he throws his son to Earth where the big bad is. That seems... to not add up?

I know that a lot of you guys who've read more Thor than I have (the first Thor I read was Thor: Disassembled; I've been a constant reader since the JMS relaunch, and Odin hasn't really appeared in the book while I've been reading it) are saying that Fraction is writing Odin the way Odin used to be written in the good ol' days, so I guess I can't be like "he's totally changing and ruining the character!", so I'll just say that he's a horrendous, despicable asshole with no redeeming qualities that I can see, and I basically feel angry every time he speaks. Like, there's characters you love to hate, where you might dislike someone, but there's still something enjoyable about reading them. I don't enjoy reading Fraction's Odin.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Odin didn't want Thor to go to Earth and face The Serpent because he knows he's going to die. It's why they had their fight in the beginning and it was the whole basis for the talk they had in FI #6. Odin doesn't want his son to die and is willing to destroy the Earth to prevent it and the eventual invasion or destruction of Asgard. Thor doesn't want that to happen, so he's going to fight The Serpent and Odin is just going to have to deal with it.

When he let Thor go originally he probably thought he would give up and return to Asgard and Odin would carry out his scorched Earth shit, but he underestimated his son's drive and honor. He didn't throw him down willingly and it hurt him to do so.

Odin is essentially a grieving father right now despite Thor not even being dead yet and humans still around.

I think Odin is really scared, too. His brother must creep him out something fierce.

He's helping Stark and the other heroes, as well as giving Thor his armor and Odinsword, so they have a fighting chance, but he's also prepared to destroy everything if they fail.

He comes off as a dick about it, but it's Odin's belief that he actually created man and that his son shouldn't have to die for his mistakes. (not killing The Serpent)

But he had to come to grips with that in FI #6 and let Thor go.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Odin let Thor go fight Thing and Hulk because as Matt Fraction said, "sometimes you have to let them touch the hot stove." It's in my notes from the Heroes Con panel. Fraction then noted that he got a round of applause for child abuse. Odin argued with him, warned him, and punished him. Finally, as a parent he just had to say, "Fine. You think you know better than me? Here's your hammer back. See what happens."

I like Carol with full leggings.

I don't see why Natalia has to show off even more cleavage than she already does, however.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Has it been confirmed whether the "point" Fear Itself issues are being collected with the main series? If they are I'll just pick them up in singles.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    @SatanIsMyMotor Odin made Tony take a leap of faith is why. At least that's the only thing I came away with after flipping through the issue at the store.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Has it been confirmed whether the "point" Fear Itself issues are being collected with the main series? If they are I'll just pick them up in singles.

The main Fear Itself Hardcover is currently solicited to have Fear Itself Prologue, 1-7, and Mighty Thor Issue 7 (The origin of the Serpent).

It's looking like the point issues will be collected respectively with Captain America, Mighty Thor, and Invincible Iron Man. But that could always change, although it likely won't.

• Options
    OK so I guess I'll pick up that Mighty Thor issue in singles format and get the point stuff in whatever collection they put it in.