As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Thursday Sept. 8, 2011

2»

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    I will say this is probably the lamest and least interesting of the real world stories so far. Being bored at work blows, believe me I know, but it's hard to sympathize much with "I was paid to do nothing for two weeks" after some of the earlier tales of woe.

Being bored for that long while being unable to do something else will fuck with your mind something fierce. Human minds used to that much of a constant flow of data suddenly getting cut off do not do well. Being a tester myself, if I was in that situation for more than two days, I'd start working my way up the chain of command or getting my agency involved, and I'd only wait that long because I have a lot of writing stuff I work on on the side that I can think about, and I can basically play music in my head as easily as others use iPods, and because I'm already kind of off.

• Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    Give me a small note book and a pen, and I can survive the two weeks easy.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    TheOrange wrote:
    Give me a small note book and a pen, and I can survive the two weeks easy.

If you can do something other than work, yeah, total cake walk. A lot of places do NOT allow you to do not-work when there is no work.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    My father worked in aerospace for defense contractors until 1991 when he died. If you finished under budget future budgets would be cut. So to make sure they spent all of the money they were given for the contract they would have the engineers work mandatory overtime, sometimes for a couple of weeks, where they had nothing to do. Nothing at all. And they were supposed to look busy and not do non-work related things.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    My father worked in aerospace for defense contractors until 1991 when he died. If you finished under budget future budgets would be cut. So to make sure they spent all of the money they were given for the contract they would have the engineers work mandatory overtime, sometimes for a couple of weeks, where they had nothing to do. Nothing at all. And they were supposed to look busy and not do non-work related things.

This is the stupidest thing ever. But sadly true in a lot of places.