As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dead or Alive 5] online might be ok, but an online pass is not

Page-Page- Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Games and Technology
Tecmo has finally, after a 5 year wait, officially announced Dead or Alive 5, for both the 360 and ps3, which isn't that big a surprise now that Itagaki is gone. At tgs they showed this gameplay teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsznlg5olBE

And this render:

4s1js3.jpg

Now, I'm the first to admit that the Dead or Alive games are not great fighting games. But they are very fun fighting games, and sometimes that's what really matters.

There are 3 thoughts that I have when seeing the gameplay and the render. First, the ninjas represent everything I dislike about Dead or Alive 4 (with Hardcore and Ultimate still being my favourite in the series). Second, the increased stage interaction represent one of the things I most enjoy about Dead or Alive in general -- that it is there for spectacle and fun above everything else. Third, the image of a sweating Hitomi, or whoever that's supposed to be, shows that Team Ninja is still doing what they do, even if they'll probably be tying Dead or Alive 5 in heavily with Ninja Gaiden 3.

The carnage of the stage shows a natural evolution for Dead or Alive's signature open, interactive environments. Timed events add a new element of forethought and positioning. Unfortunately, I'm sure Team Ninja will continue to neglect the game's most interesting mode and keep the best stages for 1v1 fights only. Always a shame, because Dead or Alive's tag mode puts every other tag mode to shame, and showing it off while footage of TTT2 and SFxT is making the rounds would only reinforce that. Maybe they want to avoid comparisons, but when everyone else is shamelessly and relentlessly ripping off their best ideas, I'd be rubbing that in as many faces as I could.

With Itagaki gone, this is like the little bits of Ninja Gaiden 3 shown so far. A partial reboot of either an actual reboot, or in this case, a shameless love-letter (for Dead or Alive, this letter would be addressed to Sega and Virtua Fighter, both of which Itagaki was a noted and outspoken fan). Already there is the influence of other outside forces with what looks like a super move of sorts, full-on with dramatic pauses and camera angles. I have no doubts that Dead or Alive 5 will be a new direction for the series, even more than 4 was. Will the new creative leads continue Itagaki's fruitless attempts at "balance," or go all-in on creative, bombastic gameplay and presentation? I hesitate to use even Dead or Alive Dimensions as a basis for comparison, both because it's an obvious legacy cash-in, and because I haven't played it.

Finally, this announcement, for me, represents an actual return to an era of fighting games, something that any number of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombats could never manage. With a new Soulcalibur, a new Dead or Alive, and a firm console release date for Final Showdown (as well as the 17 different Tekken games that I don't care about), 3d fighters have a presence again, which is what I mostly care about when it comes to fighting games (and even if Dead or Alive's actual 3d elements are dubious). I'd even be willing to give Street Fighter 4 the credit, because I don't really care anymore. I've finally gotten what I wanted, and that's good enough.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
stream
Page- on

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuck yes. Dead or Alive 3 was probably one of my favorite fighting games of all time. You're absolutely right about the tag mode being the best part of the series, and again correct that the best stages are reserved for 1v1. Just give me some goddamn interesting stages so I can play with three of my bros and not feel like I'm missing out because I can't knock their asses through a wall or off a cliff or something.

My first thought upon seeing that render (it's Kasumi, by the way) was that she's crying, but I like the idea of sweat more. Partially because I worry what sort of fans Team Ninja thinks they have if they think we like or want to see their female cast in tears. But mostly because the sweat is way more badass.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Dead or Alive games are fun times. Nothing I'd ever want to play in a tournament setting, but a good game to play with friends as you flip some poor mother fucker into an electrified console that then blows up, doing like 30% damage off of a throw. (or into traffic, fuck yes)

DoA is the backyard wrestling of fighting games.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Red hair should have given it away.

Apparently they're saying that there will be some sort of stage-specific finishing moves, which is what was teased in the teaser. They want the stages to be an even more important part of the game. And for whatever reason a bunch of sites are reporting the "return of the 1 on 1 fighting game." Meaningless, but annoying.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    Finally, this announcement, for me, represents an actual return to an era of fighting games, something that any number of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombats could never manage.
    Hmm. I wouldn't say that just yet. Only if Dead or Alive 5 turns out be good and actually sells well would I dare make such a statement.

I guess, in my (admittedly largely uninformed, outsider) opinion, I would say the excellent Mortal Kombat 9 opened the door for a real revival, but it remains to be seen whether other fighting games follow its lead.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dead Or Alive Xtreme Beach Fighterball Sigma 3 plz.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Page- wrote:
    Finally, this announcement, for me, represents an actual return to an era of fighting games, something that any number of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombats could never manage.
    Hmm. I wouldn't say that just yet. Only if Dead or Alive 5 turns out be good and actually sells well would I dare make such a statement.

I guess, in my (admittedly largely uninformed, outsider) opinion, I would say the excellent Mortal Kombat 9 opened the door for a real revival, but it remains to be seen whether other fighting games follow its lead.

They were never that good, but they sold enough. The game is being made, that's what I wanted.

stream
  • HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This looks good but where the fuck is my Killer Instinct 3. Every other fighter has been getting new entries.

Halfhand on
    corio2.jpg
    Killer Instinct 3 would be virtually unrecognizable if made.

However, to really make this fighting game thing a done deal, Last Blade 3.

stream
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I was going to say something about Samurai Shodown but then I remembered that Sen was a thing that happened.

I would give an appendage for a Last Blade 3 in the style of King of Fighters XIII (meaning fluidly animated hand drawn sprites, not the visual style).

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    This looks good but where the fuck is my Killer Instinct 3. Every other fighter has been getting new entries.

Killer Instinct: Where you could play a large carnivorous dinosaur, a werewolf, a magically animated skeleton and... well, whatever the fuck awesome monster Glacius was.

Killer Instinct 3 with a tag mode would probably be the greatest game of all time.

DoA is my favorite fighter. No dumb ultra combo inputs, no 'zoning' bullshit - just punch the other woman on the chin, enjoy the opaque fan service and have a good time swearing at the TV screen with friends.

With Love and Courage
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    So I'm left wondering.....

What special guest stars will we get for each console?

Kind of has become the norm for most fighters these days.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    What?! Where's my scantily-clad women in bikinis!?

*leaves*

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    All I want is for Tina to have a cowgirl hat.

And for Brad Wong to be Brad Wong.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    Red hair should have given it away.

And the crying.

Kasumi is always fucking miserable. Until she turns into a mermaid for some reason.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Insufficient information about jiggle physics.

Booooo!

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    I want gen fu.

Maybe brad wong too.

Gen fu was fucking boss.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Page- wrote:

Nah man it would be great. Same fighting style, using a gritty and detailed graphics engine. Fulgore and Glacius are such awesome looking characters that they would translate wonderfully into modern times.

Halfhand on
    corio2.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I'll say it loud and proud:

DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball was fun as shit. Very simple sports game, nice eye candy, absolutely insanely ridiculous bathing suit collection mini game. My friends and college and I would have INTENSE, hardcore volleyball tourneys after getting back from the bars. then there was gambling!

DOA XTreme 2 was immediately thrown away when we got it, got drunk...and then found out there was NO LOCAL MULTIPLAYER. That was fucking inexcuseable.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Yeah, DoA's a guilty pleasure fighter, but what it does it does very well. Slick, good looking, accessible and yet still pretty complex when you start putting some serious time into it. . . I don't mind DoA 5 at all if "Team Ninja" can stick with the proven stuff and build around it rather than try to shoehorn stuff that isn't needed into the basic mechanics. Counterin' and kickin' high all day, erryday.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    My first thought upon seeing that render (it's Kasumi, by the way) was that she's crying, but I like the idea of sweat more. Partially because I worry what sort of fans Team Ninja thinks they have if they think we like or want to see their female cast in tears. But mostly because the sweat is way more badass.

I thought it might be Hitomi...

Guess I was looking more at the brownish parts than the red...
    The Ender wrote:
    Killer Instinct: Where you could play a large carnivorous dinosaur, a werewolf, a magically animated skeleton and... well, whatever the fuck awesome monster Glacius was.

Alien.

I'd love to see KI and KI 2 released on XBLA, though unfortunately for me, I preferred the SNES version of KI more. Controls just felt better to me.

Anyway, can we call this "Dead or A-Five?"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Halfhand wrote:
    Page- wrote:

Nah man it would be great. Same fighting style, using a gritty and detailed graphics engine. Fulgore and Glacius are such awesome looking characters that they would translate wonderfully into modern times.

I've gone through it before, and this seems like a silly place to have the discussion. The Killer Instinct games were not good, as fighting games, and would not pass in today's market. There would have to be significant changes made to most every part of the game to bring them to the level of Dead or Alive even. It would be interesting to see a Killer Instinct 3, but if it were made then it would play almost nothing like the first 2, probably even less like them than Mortal Kombat 9 plays like Mortal Kombats 1-3.

Maybe that is Kasumi crying. Oh well.

stream
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Leon and Bass all day erry day. Dem throws.

Also, DoA is my all time favorite fighting series, it's total hilarity when played with friends and I love the counter system.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I heard this news from my bro yesterday. Fun times.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Can't help but agree with the other statements in this thread. DoA is just a fun game. Looking forward to button mashing again :D

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hooray DoA!

Before Mercs came out, DoA was my most played title on my 3DS, its like the only fighting game I'm decent at.

Also, bewbs :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Also, glad to see that the old Hayate and Hayabusa moves are practically unchanged at this stage. This gives me hope for Leon's tackle and then facepunch frenzy. I'm not really liking the added hit effect but it's not that noticeable. I'll also be interested to see if they use the small counter window from DOA 4 or the more lenient one from DOA 3.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I wonder if tag team is getting crippled again like it was on the 3DS.

I may just be overly pessimistic, but I doubt this is going to be as good as DOA4 was. On the other hand, I was very much impressed by the scale of some of the stages on the 3DS, even if they weren't as detailed as usual. Maybe that'll translate well to this.

EDIT: Also, I really hope they don't fuck up the cinematics like they did in the 3DS. I don't know if it's a memory constraint or something like that--if it is, that's forgiveable--but I really, really don't want have the cinematics or in-game dialog consist of "slow pan of unmoving characters, accompanied by disembodied voices." Please, please, no.

Synthesis on
    They're probably finally moving on from the Dead or Alive 2/4 holding pattern that they've been in for years, so I'd discount Dimensions as an influence.

I really don't like the excessive hit-spark like effects. I didn't like them in 4, but at least they were only on specific moves. I really dislike them now. Possibly an indication of the direction they want to go now that Itagaki is gone, since he was the Virtua Fighter fan, and hated Tekken. It's too bad, because Hardcore and Ultimate had the best animation and sound design. Once they started going crazy with the ninja stuff things got out of hand.

I do wonder what they'll try to do with the story mode. They retold the same 3 plots about 12 times between the arcade release of Dead or Alive 2 and Dimensions, and it still barely makes sense. Will they keep that up, or ignore it all, like they do with Ninja Gaiden?

stream
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    They're probably finally moving on from the Dead or Alive 2/4 holding pattern that they've been in for years, so I'd discount Dimensions as an influence.

I really don't like the excessive hit-spark like effects. I didn't like them in 4, but at least they were only on specific moves. I really dislike them now. Possibly an indication of the direction they want to go now that Itagaki is gone, since he was the Virtua Fighter fan, and hated Tekken. It's too bad, because Hardcore and Ultimate had the best animation and sound design. Once they started going crazy with the ninja stuff things got out of hand.

I do wonder what they'll try to do with the story mode. They retold the same 3 plots about 12 times between the arcade release of Dead or Alive 2 and Dimensions, and it still barely makes sense. Will they keep that up, or ignore it all, like they do with Ninja Gaiden?

Page I love you.

Dead or Alive:ultimate was the only game i can legitimatley say i was one of the best in the world at.

Sure that was abusing kasumis broken teleports and retarded fast pokes.

But i was the BEST at it.

As far as this goes i will buy it and have stupid fun.

So glad they still had enough people to do this.

Also fuck Ayane. It needs to be said.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Insufficient information about jiggle physics.

Booooo!

I know, right! Having a pretty boy and the coolest character in the series tells us NOTHING!

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    With Itagaki gone, DoA might actually become a legit fighting game.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Why an obvious fighting game snob would choose DOA over Street Fighter is beyond me.

I mean, I love DOA, but it is and always has been fucking stupid.

xmassig2.gif
    edited September 2011
    Because it is fun. It is very well animated fun. For the longest time it also had the best sound design in the business.

Page- on
    stream
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Halfhand wrote:
    Page- wrote:

Man, you know what else would be great? Perfect Dark 2.

Er, whoops.

The Rare today is not the Rare back then. Be very careful what you wish for.

YL9WnCY.png
    Why an obvious fighting game snob would choose DOA over Street Fighter is beyond me.

I mean, I love DOA, but it is and always has been fucking stupid.

Let's be fair now.

DOA has some ruuuude tittays.

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Tinnaaaaa! Love this series, always have, always will. Not the most balanced, but the fighting always felt fluid with the counters. It becomes a huge psych out/guessing game, if you invest a lot of time into it. That said, it reminds me of the time when me and a bud won the Gamestop Dead or Alive 2 Tourney...by simply showing up. >,>

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Hitomi <3

But seriously, I never got into many other fighting games because they were, well...hard. This game was just pure fun.

I guess it helps that my friend in college had an Xbox with DoA3 on it, and we played that instead of doing our vector calculus homework.

• PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    I love the attack animations in the game. La Mariposa doing lucha looked beautiful in motion. I'm not expecting this to be the next big EVO game, but it should be fun with friends. Also, I'm probably going to have to close the door whenever an ending for any female character plays. Some of the ones in 4 were...something else.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    The Dead or Alive tournament scene mirrors the games in how ridiculous and dumb it was.

When the game is closer I might see what's going on locally, but if people still want to do the lamest tourney formats ever then I'll drop it right away. :/

stream
    Page- wrote:
    The Dead or Alive tournament scene mirrors the games in how ridiculous and dumb it was.

I love how the national champion won by using one move over and over, and when he was booed he ran off to the restroom to cry.