As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Food for the Food God

• Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    I ate a century egg in China a couple months ago. Ain't no thing.

Describe it for me, please

Not today.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think pasties are the byproduct of construction sites... or mining sites, anyway.

Pasties are goddamn delicious.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    That is what I believed, KalTorak, but wikipedia says I am wrong:
    Side-crimped pasties gave rise to the suggestion that the miner might have eaten the pasty holding the thick edge of pastry, which was later discarded, thereby ensuring that his dirty fingers (possibly including traces of arsenic) did not touch food or his mouth.[15] However many old photographs show that pasties were wrapped in bags made of paper or muslin and were eaten from end-to-end;[16] according to the earliest Cornish recipe book, published in 1929, this is "the true Cornish way" to eat a pasty.

• IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Stale.

Where is all the good food at by GSU?

xet8c.gif
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    Buford Hwy

I really don't understand the confusion here

easysig2.jpg
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    I am not good with things.

That is the cause of the confusion.

xet8c.gif
    Get on gold train

take gold train til it stops

eat your way south

easysig2.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Isoldae wrote:
    Stale.

Where is all the good food at by GSU?
    Isoldae wrote:
    Where is all the good food at in ATL?

What part of town are you in? For how long? What do you like to eat? Are you limited by travel or cost?

http://www.lunacyblackmarket.com/

http://www.sweetauburncurbmarket.com/

http://www.pizzeriavesuvius.com/

http://www.rollingbonesbbq.com/

Honestly I don't go down around the GSU campus often. And I'm not being obtuse on purpose about Buford Hwy, it really is amazing to wander down and eat at a half dozen places from a half dozen countries.

easysig2.jpg
    http://www.tinlizzyscantina.com/

http://sixfeetunderatlanta.com/

http://riasbluebird.com/

worth the short train ride to memorial and the 2 blocks. So worth it. I've treated several otherwise ugly hangovers at Ria's bluebird. Get the brisket breakfast. Thank me later.

easysig2.jpg
    If you do take the tiny bit of initiave needed to go to Buford Hwy:

El Ray Del Taco: Best cow cheek in the damn city. 5288 Buford Highway Northeast Doraville, GA 30340

Chef Liu's: Ohh Dear God The Soup Dumplings. You'll cum in your pants. 5221 Buford Highway Northeast Doraville, GA 30340

further south down buford

Pho Dai Loi II: Best Damn Pho and Bun I've had in ATL. 4186 Buford Hwy NE # G Atlanta, GA 30345

Plaza Fiesta: Do you have a hankering for chiclets and churros? Do you need to pick up both a new stereo and a quinceanera dress? Then boy do I have a giant indoor fucking swap-meet for you. http://www.plazafiesta.net/

easysig2.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One of my cookbooks has a recipe for soup dumplings. One of these days I'm going to get some pig feet and go for it.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    As an addendum to Stale's posts, I'd skip Vesuvius unless you're going to see a band. Finding pizza in Atlanta shouldn't be hard, but ask if you need help. I'd straight skip Tin Lizzy's too. Best thing about it is the roof, but you could just go to Six Feet Under next door and eat better. I'd also skip Rolling Bones for Daddy D'z, but Rolling Bones ain't bad.

I'll double down on Ria's, El Rey, Chef Liu, and the lunch counters in Sweet Auburn. You've also got a few places popping up along Edgewood, the best of which right now is probably Noni's. And you're two train stops from Little 5, where Elmyr and the Porter stand out, and the Vortex is something of a city institution. Downtown Decatur is a few more stops up, and right out of the train there's a square full of solid places like Leon's and Brick Store and Raging and Iberian Pig and pretty much anything else except skip that fake Italian/pizza sports bar place.

This would be way easier with more specific parameters though.

• MDMD Registered User regular
    I haven't cleaned my coffee maker since I got it 1 year ago.

Not once. Not ever.

Okay, cool.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    I think pasties are the byproduct of construction sites... or mining sites, anyway.

Pasties are goddamn delicious.

This is definitely true. When I was but a teeny tiny V1m, my parents employed a Devon girl to be a nanny for me and my siblings, and she told me the Devon Pasties > Cornish Pasties (they're made from the exact same ingredients, but still) and proceeded to back up her assertions by making up a dozen of them.

Here are my vaguely-remembered-from-over-thirty-years-ago pasty facts:

(1) You use beef that is cut up small, not minced beef.
    (2) You don't use potatoes. Pasties have beef, onion, swede, carrot, salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little butter in the filling.
    (3) You make the pastry with lard. If you can get bacon lard, use that. If not, then beef lard, failing that, pork lard, failing that, well you just fail. And you roll that pastry to be about twice as thick as your average pie crust.
    (4) Make at least twice as many pasties as you think you'll need.
    (5) They freeze pretty well.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I do prefer sliced/chopped beef to the minced beef in pasties. It's not traditional but I gotta put potatoes in there though.

I need to find lard though.

I like alternate flavour pasties

cheese and bacon/leek is always a good one

or lamb and rosemary

or a rich steak and gravy

etc. etc.

KalTorak wrote:
    I do prefer sliced/chopped beef to the minced beef in pasties. It's not traditional but I gotta put potatoes in there though.

I need to find lard though.

Seriously you don't need potatoes. You should have a good strong pastry casing to provide all the starch you need. For a really good pasty you want a filling ratio of something like

50% Beef
    20% Swede
    20% Onion
    9% Carrot
    1%: Spices, etc

Also, what is this "need to find lard"? Do supermarkets where you are not sell lard? What poverty is this?

OK, let's be cool about this. Buy some beef or pork suitable for roasting (Rib of beef is great). Roast it & collect the lard.

Iberian Pig and Leon's are both fucking fantastic.

If you want some craft beers, Brick Store is around the corner from both and is a solid place.

I've had good pizza at Vesuvius, but pizza in ATL is hit/miss, and a lot of it a personal preference.

Tin Lizzy's is nothing special but the do make a good margarita. But absolutely you get better food at 6 feet under

easysig2.jpg
    Actually to be honest at some markets it's not exactly easy to find a rutabaga either.

Potatoes are great roasted in goose fat

Swede, turnip and parsnip (mmmm, parsnip) are everywhere in the UK, far more difficult to find in California

<3 roast parsnip so much. Fortunately the rest of my family prefer roast potatoes, so when my mother makes a Sunday roast (if I'm there) I always get seconds (and thirds) of the roast parsnip

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    Actually to be honest at some markets it's not exactly easy to find a rutabaga either.

Oooooh...That's what he means by "Swede". I was very confused.

brDe918.jpg
    Noisymunk wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:

Yes, here in the US we've risen above the need to be racist against Scandinavian people!

Pfft!

Haha, reading the sunday roast page on wikipedia, my mum is apparently super traditionalist. She does all four of the traditional roasts in rotation, her vegetables are exactly as described, as are the meat accompaniments

Goddamnit, I could totally go for a roast chicken with pigs in blankets and homemade bread sauce right now

Janson wrote:
    Swede, turnip and parsnip (mmmm, parsnip) are everywhere in the UK, far more difficult to find in California

<3 roast parsnip so much. Fortunately the rest of my family prefer roast potatoes, so when my mother makes a Sunday roast (if I'm there) I always get seconds (and thirds) of the roast parsnip

Here is my roast parsnip info. I love them also btw.

Peel your parsnips. Quarter or half them longways. Parboil them for 5-7 minutes or so. Rise, and leave to dry for a few minutes in the colander.

Mix 1 tsp garam masala plus 1 tsp rock salt with 1 tbsp of warmed honey

Put the parsnips and the honey mix into a bowl and mix that all up ins, using your hands.

Roast up those parsnips. To roast parsnips, put a roasting tin with a large spoonful of lard and a dash of sesame or groundnut oil in to the oven at 220C or higher, and make sure that fat is smoking hot before you add those 'snips.

Alternatively:

Peel, slice and parboil and dry as above. Then make up a 50% flour 50% fine grated parmesan mix (with maybe some fine chopped Rosemary, why not?). Coat the parsnips very lightly in sesame oil, and roll in the flour/parmesan/herb mix, and roast them up.

Noisymunk wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:

No, I mean a good pasty should contain approximately 1.2 ounces of swedish people. Their delicate, but rich, pulp is essential for the correct filling.

Yesssss

honey roast parsnips are so good! I shall definitely try that recipe!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Potatoes are great roasted in goose fat

My potatoes only ever touch duck fat now when we need fat for them.

So good.

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    V1m wrote:
    Noisymunk wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:

No, I mean a good pasty should contain approximately 1.2 ounces of swedish people. Their delicate, but rich, pulp is essential for the correct filling.

You're a monster!

The first and only time I have had a pasty, it was while I was on vacation in the UK. A bakery in Glastonbury called "Burns the Bread" made delicious potato and cheese pasties.

I should really try and make them, but my pie crust skills are horrid.

brDe918.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don't make duck enough to have a ready supply of duck fat ever

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Oh man, Rias Bluebird. So damned good.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Same.

In fact, I've never actually cooked duck. I have a jar of bacon grease on hand for things, but duck? Nope.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Yesssss

honey roast parsnips are so good! I shall definitely try that recipe!

I've noticed I like a lot of things I didn't when I was younger:
    brussel sprouts, green peppers, sweet potatoes... but I still can't find turnips or parsnips tasty. :\

nevillexmassig1.png
    I always find those two things to be a bit bland (though tasty) and prone to picking up whatever flavors are along with them.

Brussel sprouts are something I need to revisit. Past meals have not included roasting them and I hear that's the way to go.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You can just buy jars of duck fat. It's fantastic.

I have never seen such a thing, but I'll be keeping an eye out now.

Stale wrote:
    If you want some craft beers, Brick Store is around the corner from both and is a solid place.

[snob]Their American craft beer selection is only alright.[/snob] I mean, it's probably better than 99.1% of all bars, but the Porter's is just better. Brick Store has Belgians, Trappists, and some European curiosities pretty sewed up though. They also have a great, understated burger that doesn't get talked about a lot in a town full of trending burger joints where the burgers are often more over-adorned than a steampunk convention.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote:
    I always find those two things to be a bit bland (though tasty) and prone to picking up whatever flavors are along with them.

Brussel sprouts are something I need to revisit. Past meals have not included roasting them and I hear that's the way to go.
    It really is.
    Blake T wrote:
    You can just buy jars of duck fat. It's fantastic.
    Yup! Goose fat was readily available in jars in the UK.

This discussion has been closed.