As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[40K/BFG] Online 40K/BFG Pick Up Games

ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2012 in Critical Failures
The 5th Penny Arcadian Warhammer 40,000 League!

The Pick up Game League!

You can play this:
z_graves_01.jpg

Or this:
z_graves_06.jpg
Images from here:

Download the VASSAL wargaming application from this link here.

Download the 40K module V40k 5.4-e: from this link here. There is a new group of people working on this module, you can check the bugfixes, download the latest release, and keep up with plans for future revisions here: http://vassal40k.wordpress.com/

Here is a link to some premade maps..You load them as a saved game, there might be an error that is was saved with a previous version, but it will work. Also, if the scatter die doesn't work right you can replace it from the models tab.

Here is a link to an old user guide, some of the options have changed, and the screens don't look exactly the same, but there is a lot of basic information there that will help you get a feel for the module.

If you want to BFG, Download the BFG module VBFG 2.2 from this link here.

Rules:
Time period: Until the next person starts a league.

Ok, here's the deal, I got really busy after the BFG league fell apart, and the new forums caused a lot of disruption as well. I still don't have a ton of time to run a complicated league, but I think that maybe we need to try something simple this go around. So, just arrange a game with another forumer, post the results here and I will keep track of them. I will rank the list by win-loss percentage, with a minimum of 3 games in order to be ranked.

40k Rules: Have two lists for two game sizes, 1000 pts list for a quick game or if you are just learning Vassal; And a 1500 pts list for a normal 40k game, at the point limit God GW intended.

BFG rules:
Fleet list of 1500 points, from one of the standard fleet lists on the GW website. If you and your opponent know the 2010 rules update, and would prefer to use it, you can, but as it is not yet official, I would rather use the rules as written on the GW website.

You CAN change your list, since this is just a pick up game league. You CAN swap out armies, just make sure your opponent knows what army you plan to use beforehand. There is not a need to post your army list since it can change between games, unless you want help with it, but you do have to show your list to your opponent when the game starts.

Rule disputes: If something crops up in a game that cannot be conclusively settled, post it here and I'll make a ruling on how it should be played within the league.

Anything that needs to be further clarified? Did I leave anything important out?

When you signup please post your Army, time zone, and the best day and time for you to play.

I am going to do two separate lists, since the 40k and BFG games are NOT linked this time around.

40k Players:
Name...........40k Army.......Time Zone
Eldercat..........DA.................GMT -5
OtakuD00D......DE.................GMT -7
Moridin889.....BA/DE..............GMT -?
Last league, just for my reference
Law................IG..................GMT -5
Gabriel Pitt.......IG(traitor).......GMT -5
Mazzyx...........Orks...............GMT -6
Halos...........Tyranids.............GMT -0
Skarsol...........SOBs..............GMT -6
Leaf..............Eldar...............GMT -8
Pollo Diablo......IG(traitor)......GMT -4

Player...........Games.....W/L/D....%
Eldercat.........0...........0/0/0....0
OtakuD00D.....0...........0/0/0....0
Moridin889.....0............0/0/0....0
Skarsol............0..........0/0/0....0
Gabriel Pitt:......0..........0/0/0....0
Halos..............0..........0/0/0....0
Pollo Diablo......0..........0/0/0....0
Leaf...............0..........0/0/0....0
Mazzyx...........0..........0/0/0....0
Law...............0..........0/0/0....0

BFG Players:
Name...........BFG Fleet.....Time Zone
Eldercat..........IN/SM.........GMT -5
Law................IN..............GMT -5
Gabriel Pitt.......Chaos........GMT -5
Mazzyx...........Orks...........GMT -6
Halos...........Tyranids.........GMT -0
Leaf..............Eldar............GMT -8
Player...........Games.....W/L/D....%
Eldercat.........0...........0/0/0....0
Law...............0..........0/0/0....0
Gabriel Pitt:.....0..........0/0/0....0
Mazzyx...........0..........0/0/0....0
Halos..............0..........0/0/0....0
Leaf...............0..........0/0/0....0

DO3O00C.png
ElderCat on

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Reserved.

DO3O00C.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Hell yeah, sign me up. I play Dark Eldar, though I may play something else if my mood strikes it. I live in Pacific time and honestly, I'm pretty much free whenever if it's not a Monday or Sunday.

makosig.jpg
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I shall play! I work a lot of odd hours, but with some planning we can get things done. I like a lot of fast armies, so I mainly play blood angels and dark eldar. Might toss in some random armies to throw people off

Anyone actually get a game in?

DO3O00C.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I forgot about this. Sure. Let's do this. The new Vassal module's out and I figured out how to use it. Screw BFG as DE, though.

makosig.jpg
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in playing some 40k ? i just bought the new cron dex and would like to try my 1k wishlist out. Just to see how they perform.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Draeven, I'm at GMT+3 (So 8 hours ahead of the east coast, 11 ahead of west coast) but I'll gladly play you tomorrow (Tonight my time) since I'm off. What kind of schedule do you work/school?

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    I would be free in the am 8am to around 3pm Cst , so let me know if that works out for you. Just as a heads up im pretty much a newb to vassal and 40k, been a long time. So would be a learning game for sure.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Draeven wrote:
    I would be free in the am 8am to around 3pm Cst , so let me know if that works out for you. Just as a heads up im pretty much a newb to vassal and 40k, been a long time. So would be a learning game for sure.

That's cool I teach people pretty often. Do you have skype? Makes it SO much easier.

8am Central? So that's... 0800+900=1700 until 1300+900=2200. That's actually perfect for me. I won't be up until around like 1900-900=1000 (10am) your time more than likely, so right around 11am or noon your time. If you've got skype PM me your login and I'll add you to my list when I get off work in a few hours then we can just touch bases tomorrow when I wake up.

I do not have skype, though I do have access to a Team speak server we could use to speak on. Also 11am is fine by me, gives me plenty of time to play and get our game over.

I don't have teamspeak, I can probably get it. I'd suggest skype because it doesn't use a server, but if you can't/won't DL it I can get teamspeak.

My name on Vassal is the same as on here. If I'm not on by 11am and haven't left you a message on here, either I'm still sleeping or something came up with work (I'm deployed) and can't get to a computer. Do whatever you feel you gotta do at that point.

Np, man yeah id rather just roll with Team speak, ill pm you his server info , so you can connect to it tomorrow.

thanks for the game man, definatly eye opening, I will now have to venture forth and find other people to play.

We can play again some time if you'd like. I'll take a SoB army or something more 'traditional'. Tyranids are rough on Necrons, and my dice didn't do you any favors.

Lol, yeah making a bunch of those saves didn't help my cause. I really liked how my big necron warrior unit worked. I prolly should of had my HoD outside the unit shooting at your big bitches, but oh well.

Lessons learned.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Oh man, can't believe I didn't know about this thread!

Anybody free tonight for a game? Like, after 12a eastern?

You said 10pm eastern in the other thread, if so then I am. If you can't start till midnight that is too late for me.

DO3O00C.png
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I can start around 10. Probably closer to 10:30, just to make sure the admins are all gone from work and don't surprise me.

Roger, I will start getting ready.

DO3O00C.png
    I'm on now, so whenever you're ready to hop on, we can get this rollin'.

This game is going to be brutal, Pitched Battle annihilation. First time I have ever gotten that combo.

DO3O00C.png
    edited March 2012
    Ok, Battle Report from Friday night, sorry it took me so long.

So we rolled a random map and it was a 4x4 but we were both ok with it. We rolled pitched battle annihilation. I was Dark Angel Deathwing, he was Slannesh Chaos Marines.
    I take the last army I had saved in Vassal, which I think is kinds risky:
    1 Belial, Master of the Deathwing (HQ) @ 130 Pts
    #Terminator Armour; Twin Lightning Claws

5 Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) @ 270 Pts
    #Terminator Armour; Twin Lightning Claws (x4); Thunder
    Hammer (x1); Storm Shield (x1); Apothecary; Standard Bearer

5 Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) @ 235 Pts
    #Terminator Armour; Cyclone Missile Ln.; Twin Lightning Claws (x1);
    Power Fist (x4); Storm Bolter (x4)

1 Dreadnought (Elites) @ 145 Pts
    Front Armour: 12; Side Armour: 12; Rear Armour: 10; #Searchlight; #Smoke
    Launchers; Dread. CCW & Storm Bolter; TL Lascannon

1 Land Raider Crusader (Heavy Support) @ 250 Pts
    #Searchlight; #Smoke Launchers; #Power of the Machine Spirit; #Frag
    Assault Launchers; 2 Hurricane Bolters; Multi-Melta; TL Assault Cannon

Models in Army: 23
    Total Army Cost: 1500
    I won the roll and chose to deploy and go first. Here was the deployment:
    DA_Ch_1.jpg
    Suddenly he seizes initiative, I am now worried, if my LR gets immobilized or destroyed my Command Squad will have to walk across the board with absolutely no ranged weapons in them.

Turn 1: nothing happened, there was some maneuvering and a lot of whiffed shots. Most notable his left defiler failed to pen my LR after a direct hit. Oh, also his raptors plus Lord came in, scattered off the board, but only went back in reserve.

Turn 2: Orange managed to immobilize his right defiler, and made all its saves from the demolisher Battle Cannon in return. BOTH of us thought it was a demolisher cannon, but when he looked it up to tell me the stats it was AP3. Then there was an incredibly lucky shot from the machine spirit in the LR firing the assault cannon at the left defiler, rolled a 6 (rend made it a 7) to pen and then a 6 to explode. Followed by a LC shot from the Dread going through the new gap and wrecking his bottom rhino.

Turn 3:
    He got both his reserves in and his outflank was luckily the side he wanted it to come in on. While he was moving I remember to take a pic:
    DA_Ch_3.jpg
    His chosen target my Dread instead of my LR and Annihilates it with 4 pens. His raptors fail to connect with their meltas.

My turn taken after I moved a couple units:
    DA_Ch_3a.jpg
    I decide to use my Command Squad to take out his chosen first since I am scared of 4 meltas and White moves to assist. My Command Squad can't all deploy outside of my dread crater because I am too close to his chosen, so I deploy them 1 inch away and then force the ones into cover that have to, remember this later. Then my LR moves 1 inch and fires mmelta plus bolters plus MS firing the asscan into his raptors getting 2 rends and two failed armor saves from the other 9 shots. My assault: Command Squad rolls snake eyes so my TH/SS doesn't get to participate. Doesn't matter, even though his chosen go before my terminators they whiff their power weapon, and all other wounds get saved. White handily wrecks the rhino. I start to feel really bad for him, and joke that he used up all his luck seizing initiative.

Turn 4:
    DA_Ch_4.jpg
    Everything of his moves to engage my LR and Command Squad, meltashot manages to destroy the asscan. His other squad gets out and 3 of his guys shoot at my Command Squad, but I save all of them. His assault: He immobilizes the LR. In my turn the LR mmelta gets one more raptor. My Command Squad roll a 1,2 for DT, and a 3,4 to assault. (it failed) He still has a chance to shoot me off the board.

Turn 5:
    DA_Ch_5.jpg
    He moves his rhino out of the way, (unfortunately closer to White and Blue) so that his squad has a clear shot at my Command Squad. That rhino fires its combi-bolter (for the first time ever) and does 2 wounds, that I save. His last raptor with a melta wrecks the LR, things are looking up. His other squad opens up with 30 shots on my Command Squad ... and only does 6 wounds. :shock: I save all of them.

My turn:
    My Command squad rolls decent for DT, and Blue moves to assault the rhino. My shooting: After trading whiffs all game Orange manages to explode the right defiler. Assault: BLue explodes the rhino, and I make all the saves from it. My Command squad assaults through cover, last chance for him to inflict some damage: He misses with his power weapon and I save the rest, then annihilate him. I do the math, and the killpoints are 7-2. He would have to table me without losing another unit to even tie. We call it. Final pic:
    DA_Ch_5a.jpg

3 hours total, with a 20 minute break in the middle.
    I think his list was fine. I think I just got kinda lucky with both his defilers not being able to assault me, and all his power weapons missing, ugh. As far as tactics, I think maybe he should have landed the raptors and chosen in my backfield or used the rhino to screen from my command squad, and concentrate on white, blue, and orange. That is about the only thing I would suggest different though.

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
    So, vassal game today, my stupid buddy forgot his list and brought...

3x5 thunderwolf cav
    6x5 grey hunters w/ flamer
    1x Thunderwolf lord

lolol

HERE WE GO.
    turn1sp.jpg
    turn2mp.jpg
    turn3mp.jpg
    turn3bmp.jpg
    turn4mp.jpg
    turn4endj.jpg

Pretty hilarious game. I had some terrible rolling with Genestealers, he rolled some hilarious bad armor saves. Terrible game. For him. Hah!

DO3O00C.png
    Herein lies the story of Extreaminatus being brutally violated at the hands of the dice gods.

Pretty standard deployment on both sides. I managed 12" on the top squad, bottom squad is just hiding in the terrain. Looked to me like he wanted to use the defilers down one side and the rhinos up the other.

deploy1.jpg

By the end of the first turn I had made one Defiler useless and wiped out one troop. Despite all my efforts to reduce my attacks (Taking my casualties from the front, conga lining, etc.) he rolled terribly and I rolled like some sort of magical wildabeast. Left me with my weiner dangling in the wind!

turn1aassault.jpg

At the end of his turn he managed to kill 4 Genestealers. He would not roll above average, often rolling 10-20% below average, while I was making 8/10 saves on a 4+. It was pretty bad. Things began to look grim.

turn1bshoot.jpg

Another turn and another round of Hive Guard wrecking shop and Genestealers being ridiculous. I'm not accustomed to rolling hot, so was completely overshooting my expectations on combats. He continued to roll poorly but managed to keep a few mans alive through the round.

turn2aassault.jpg

After his Chosen came in on the wrong side and his lord/raptors stayed in reserve, Extream's morale was at an all time low. In combat his power weapons picked up the pace, doing 4 wounds out of 6 attacks, and standing out as the single set of dice he rolled above the average the entire game. It managed to pull him a draw in combat, but by this point the game was pretty much over. We agreed to call it on the account of rigged dice.

turn2bassault.jpg

Post game thoughts - I've never faced a Slaanesh army before, and was not impressed by the sonic blasters. At 5 points a head they're really not efficient. The Ap3 template, however, is fantastic and definitely would've been brutal if I hadn't rolled FNP like that shit was my job. I can imagine the damage it'd do to MEQ. I've never been a fan of Defilers, and facing them off against Hive Guard is, in my experience, never a good matchup. Even with a more reserved deployment and launching battlecannons long range, I'm not confident with their ability to really do much damage.

Sadly, the dice turned what could've been a good game into a rout. I made at least 75% of my 4+ saves, and he couldn't hit 50% on a 4+ if he'd had a reroll. Overall we both had fun, a bunch of other folks watching the game enjoyed talking with us, and it was generally a good spirited game. I look forward to playing Extreme again, as he was a good sport despite whatever Deity it is he pissed off spitting in his eyes the whole game.

DO3O00C.png
    ALRIGHT ELDERCAT GOD I'LL POST IN HERE FROM NOW ON JEEZ.

<3

That game was super silly, but I still had some fun with it. I'm so used to Vassal bending me over with the dice that I just kind of expect it to happen (unless I'm playing my DE vs. Eldercat. Then I make like, 20 5+ saves on my Raiders).

As for the sonic blasters, paying 5 points for an assault 2/heavy 3 bolter is pleasing to my delicate sensibilities. If I could bring myself to drop my Chosen Marines and bring more Noise Mans, maybe with a blastmaster, it could work better. I dunno.

Also, I have 300 points to spend since I'm never bringing defilers to another match (they have never served me well). Suggestions? 3 dakkaPreds? 3 Dreads? 2 x2 Oblits?

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    OMG, where do I post?!
    Dreads are nice now that the FAQ makes it so you can keep them from shooting up your own mans.

why are you smelling it?
    I'm on Vassal now if anyone wants a game.

5th / 6th tournament battle report

6th edition game 1, GK vs GK

opponent running brotherhood champ warlord, techmarine conv beam, HvB/las/hurr stormraven, 2 squads of psybolt termies, one psycan heavy squad, one psycan purifiers, one 5 man strike squad

forget what his warlord was

i'm running coteaz, 3 psyback (one with a mystic beacon), HvB/AC/hurr psybolt stormraven, psycan termies, psycan inquis with brain mines, 7psyker/3plasma can/jokaero (chimera), 6 dca (1 axe)/3 crusader/1 psyker/1 eviscerator banisher, ven dread psybolt AC loadout

I rolled the +2str / +4(i) pyro and reroll your saves malediction on coteaz, and precog (reroll all fail hits/wounds/saves) on my inquis (OMFG OP)

he gave me first turn, i moved up, maledicted his psybolt heavies and shot them down
    bottom first: he shot up my chimera and not much else

top second: stormraven zoomed on and 2 psy-shock missles killed 4 of a strike squad and the champ, AC killed the techmarine (armor save 1), coteaz and the plasmas moved out of the 1 HP chimera, termies and inquis moved up shot the termie squad and make assault thru cover (8 in), precog inquis challenged justicar and owned him, my 2 hammers wiped out the squad (1 precision strike that didn't matter much)
    bottom second: his stormraven zoomed on and unloaded, psy-shock killing 2 termies (nothing else), he rest of his firing mostly bounced off coteaz (who was in front with his 2+/4+) until i got scared of the S7 hits (he's T3) and i started lookout sir-ing to psykers... almost lost coteaz to a rending psycannon shot

top third: my stormraven goes to hover and unloads dca's who dispatch purifiers vehicle, my psybacks move to take the objectives (running low on time) I SHOULD HAVE disembarked for 13-18" move to catch 3 objectives, but i was derping on the combat mechanics, psykers and plasmas scattered off his termies, but they took enough fire to lose one, i unloaded too much fire on his stormraven, I should have made my own SR skyfire but derped it
    bottom third: he shoots at my psybacks and fails a charge, his purifiers firepower takes out my stormraven

end for time (2h 30m), I controlled 2/5 objectives and had 2 VP's for firstblood and warlord kill, this was a learning tournament so we took our time and learned a lot of rules

DO3O00C.png