As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'm doomed.

EDIT: Fffffaaaaa you know what would've made a better TOTP? Anything, really, but mostly this:
    Iruka wrote:
    I dont know if I'll continue to refine this or try out something else. I have not comic-ed in a while, but I need to get back in the swing of it.
    fear1.jpg
    fear2.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah I noticed it when I saved it out, they were on a layer I either turned off or deleted. I agree on the values, and I'll see how that last panel looks as a silhouette, or otherwise emphasizing the tongue.

• Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    Hmm, I wish I had read this thread a while ago. Maybe I'll enter something if I can find the time int he next nine days >.< Two pages, though, so definitely possible :)

My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    little contrast boost. Might try and think up something else tomorrow, though. If I dont think of a new one, I'll clean this just a bit more.
    fear1_2.jpg

fear2_2.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    YAY Iruka Comic!

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Need opinions.
    reflection_wip_by_emir0-d4992h8.png
    Does it look like a reflection? It's supposed to be a reflection on the visor of some sort of a radiation suit.

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Making the colors of the reflection lighter and less saturated than the sky would separate out the reflection from the real sky, too. Ken's white highlight would help, too.

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Also you could show hands to really drive home that its a view from inside a helmet. Or some sorta digital HUD might help too.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Alright thanks. It's just been extremely hard to make it bubble out, I've used warp a billion times already and I think it's just the scenery that I've chosen that doesn't want to cooperate. Also, this was thought as the establishing shot to show the landscape and then the next shot (the top wide one on top of it) will be a halftotal of the suit from a 3/4 rear view of the suit gazing over the landscape that was seen in the reflection.
    And would the highlight require a very white lightsource in the reflection itself or should I just add it?
    edit: Now?
    reflection_wip_2_by_emir0-d49aw2v.png

m3nace on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I probably wouldn't use warp, I'd draw an actual fisheye view. Warp will give you weird results in most cases because the computer has no information about depth of the scene and just kind of assumes things based on the pixel co-ordinates. Also the landscape is so bleak there isn't a lot of structural information to hand anyway, so it might be hard to read anything short of an extreme distortion as a distortion. If you can put an element closer to the helmet it should be clearer.

• Options
    Gotcha

• Options
    haha I didn't actually realize what thread I was in; but coincidentally, I'm using some lens distortion in my comic also (if I manage to get time to draw it). And yeah, been doing it by hand.

• Options
    It is stupid hard D:

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    So my maquettes are done but my story needs soooooooo much work, blah ! I will post thumbs for some feedback soon, have not had any time tho. Will probably ink by hand then scan and color digitally.

• Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how I can use typed text in PS? Can't figure it out

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I dunno what level of remediality you're looking for, so I apologize in advance for potentially saying stuff you know already, but you basically just grab the type tool (the big T on your toolbar), click where you want text, and type (or c&p or whatever). For fiddling with type settings you'll want to make sure your character & paragraph palettes are open (Character and Paragraph under Window). Most of the options in those you can probably figure out.

Once you've typed text you can switch back to the selection tool to drag it around, whatever. It won't rasterize it until you tell it to, which opens up unique options and locks out others. Do you have specific questions?

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, I could type, but I couldn't figure out which tool to make it, y'know legible (because it was super tiny), now I know there are these things called windows :P thanks for the help

ninjai on
  • Options
    Ugh. I have a general idea of what my two pages are gonna consist of but I haven't even started yet; time crunch is gonna force me to totally phone this in. >_<

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Alright, let's try this again.
    reflection_test_by_emir0-d49fmd8.png

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Another thing that I don't know if you've considered is that the following panels may make the first panel completely obvious.

• Options
    Well yes I thought about that and I think I'll just leave it as is now. I can always return to it.

• Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    squidbunny wrote:
    Ugh. I have a general idea of what my two pages are gonna consist of but I haven't even started yet; time crunch is gonna force me to totally phone this in. >_<

slackass hi5
    actually I've been busy with actual work and commission work
    but yeah. I'll probably have to pull an allnighter for the third time in two weeks.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I might tweak this in the next couple days, time-permitting, but I think it's more or less all I've got time for, sadly.

2pg1.png

2pg2.png

This has really spotlit how slow/uneconimical I've gotten. I need to go back to doing battle comics or something to limber the fuck up.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    Love your stuff Squidy.

• Options
    Some more progress. And yeah getting some context does make the visor more obvious.
    wip_comicpage_by_emir0-d49r4vf.png

• Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    In all honesty, I can't see myself finishing this by Friday though I'm still going to try. Here's what I've got so far.

sofar.jpg

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    Benjamin.Benjamin. Registered User regular
    Pretty dope guys. That second panel does help a lot m3nace.

Squid.. I feel like the more experience I get.. the slower it makes me on personal work. Is there a place that regularly hosts battle comics?.

If you'll forgive a shameless plug, yes there is! It was spawned from this very forum in days of old.

Also, I've found this thread too late to try a submission, curses!

Iruka, I am ever a big fan of your style! Painted work like that appeals to me a lot, and there is a lot of movement in those pages. I like the sofa just swinging around impaled on the creature's leg.

Squid, what can I say? You're a comic master. Action, character development, and great sepia toned art in just 2 pages. My favourite part is the mutant's tiny superfluous arm.

M3nace. I agree there could have been a more exaggerated fisheye distortion on the visor's reflection, but as it is, it is pretty clear now. Very radioactive colour scheme. I'm eager to see more.

Coleman, a suspenseful start. Helmeted characters are popular. Some parts can be hard to make out but I assume that's just from the photo - good luck completing it!

15661_s.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Cake: Thank you kindly, sir! :D

M3n: I agree. Context clarifies that just fine.

Ken: Ben actually said was I was gonna: there's always WFA. It's heavily entrenched in its own story at this point, though, which can be a pro or a con depending on how involved you want to get. There's also Entervoid, but I've never partaken and have no idea how it works. Some part of me still wants to see more casual comics battling make a return to the AC itself.

Ben! <3 You're far too kind. Still sad I never properly fought you (that first ever match where I stepped in at half time doesn't count for me). Ah, nostalgia. (Glad to see you posting around here again -- I hope you'll stay awhile.)

Coleman: you can do it! It may require a cut in quality, though -- all that precise inking by Friday? You're braver than I am.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I would support this movement
    as it stands I have a competitive review of an old fiction piece due Friday. One more day and I think I can squeak it. Scanner is teh fuxed so I will have to see what I can do with nexus's camera, he might be able to "make it work"

• Options
    Don't think I'll be able to have it ready by then. The whole day tomorrow is booked and didn't have any time today.
    Not to worry, I'll just finish it some other time outside of the contest.

• Options
    Oh shit, that was due today.... ::::::::::::::::::::(

• Options
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    oh, I might actually make my entry then. I'll see how it goes.