As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let Us Discuss How Gamers Might Actually Save the World

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    I'm really not sure that we're talking about the same thing any more

Maybe not exactly the same thing, but I think they're related to a degree that maybe isn't recognized.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    Framling wrote:
    If Fable 3 taught me anything, it's that most of our problems could be solved if Obama just left the country running overnight.

I taxed the rich a significantly higher percentage

worked out well for everyone

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I saw her keynote with @Lewie P's Stepdad and I think I can safely speak for both of us by saying she's a loon and a terrible person.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    heh

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    It would be really nice is video games somehow did something amazing the world- just like any other innocuous activity, I'd say.

Druhim raises a point, that we could view video games as an art and have much more of a meaningful discussion treating it as such.

While I'm at it, video games are one of the factors believed to be responsible for lowering youth violence across America (kids staying inside and getting their Halo on rather than doing anything outside). But sociology includes anything involving human interaction.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I find this a kind of ridiculous attempt to lend real importance and significance to a generally very shallow form of entertainment

video games are not going to save the world any more than jenga would

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Every form of entertainment is full of shallow material

don't limit that to video games, by any means

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    what about

jumanji

could jumanji save the world

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Well we know that Jumanji could destroy the world

Those giant mosquitoes alone

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    I find this a kind of ridiculous attempt to lend real importance and significance to a generally very shallow form of entertainment

video games are not going to save the world any more than jenga would

I don't think the fundamental idea is at all ridiculous

The degree to which she takes it though, yeah maybe

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    How about we just appreciate games for just being fun and being engaging art instead of trying to find some deeper justification for them that probably isn't true?

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110916/full/news.2011.543.html

I saw this article

Strangely, I never saw Kotaku report on it!

• Options
    thinking about it jenga would have a dramatically greater chance of saving the world

like if you got all the world's leaders together and got them to play a game of jenga together and made them realize that this block represents human rights and this block represents finite resources and this block represents compassion and this block represents respect and if you start taking out those blocks it all gets unstable and then it falls over and when it falls over that's it game over

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    jenga rules

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I guess I should post this now. A Life Well Wasted, episode 5: Help.
    Robert Ashley helps people in videogames instead of helping people in real life, meets a comedy group who spend hundreds of hours every year playing the most boring videogame ever created, talks to a guy who quit playing games for a year, and profiles the best selling pinball designer of all time.

• Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    As far as video games as an art medium for the betterment of the world...

I'd like to see more forays into educational videogames. Not just basic arithmetic, but also the higher complex sciences and mathematics. I think that if they were presented in the right way, in similar way that game mechanics are taught then games could be engrossing as well as stimulating. The biggest challenge here is that... well educational games are boring. I think that is simply because often they are too "in your face" with the subject or just do not have the right angle to interest the player. I think many of these subjects are engrossing enough on their own that if they were presented right, then they could engross the player as well.

One good example is Assassin's Creed which includes a lot of history and architecture. A space rpg or game might teach you astronomy. Chemistry and biology might come from you being a scientist in some lab after some zombie epidemic.

Not today.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    zombies aren't real and no zombie game ever has had any legit science in it because zombies aren't real.

• Options
    video games teach you to think in a pretty linear fashion

you gradually learn a system which has been designed to be accessible and useful in the situation

you expect that you'll be given at least a little hand-holding initially, and that difficulty will scale to your mastery of the system in a way that doesn't overly impede your good time

I'd say that they train people into a kind of problem-solving method that will only cause them frustration in real-world problem-solving

like the universe is cheating

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Jeez this graveyard game McGonigal designed is uh

Well it's something, I guess

It's hardly the worst thing in the world but I could think of better things to do

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    zombies aren't real and no zombie game ever has had any legit science in it because zombies aren't real.

Are... are you sure?

Because I have been stocking up on food ever since Left4Dead came out.

Not today.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

I'd like to see more forays into educational videogames. Not just basic arithmetic, but also the higher complex sciences and mathematics. I think that if they were presented in the right way, in similar way that game mechanics are taught then games could be engrossing as well as stimulating. The biggest challenge here is that... well educational games are boring. I think that is simply because often they are too "in your face" with the subject or just do not have the right angle to interest the player. I think many of these subjects are engrossing enough on their own that if they were presented right, then they could engross the player as well.

One good example is Assassin's Creed which includes a lot of history and architecture. A space rpg or game might teach you astronomy. Chemistry and biology might come from you being a scientist in some lab after some zombie epidemic.

Minecraft is on the way to being the first game about electrical engineering.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    there is a teacher (i hesitate to call her a professor) at my college who is on the figurative "zombie dick"

always with the zombies. zombie shirts, zombie bumper stickers, zombie themed assignments

what about mummies, bitch? or jewish lizard moon men?

• Options
    at least lizard people are real

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Fugitive wrote:

I was just thinking the other day it would be fun to teach children about geometry with Minecraft.

Not today.
  • Options
    zombies are the new ninjas in that I'm sick of fucking hearing about them

• Options
    there is a teacher (i hesitate to call her a professor) at my college who is on the figurative "zombie dick"

always with the zombies. zombie shirts, zombie bumper stickers, zombie themed assignments

Mummies will have their day

You just wait and see

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    WB740.png

• Options
    a couple years ago I overheard a guy in the dining hall who had cornered this polite girl at a table and was telling her all about why he loved the fucking big bang theory

which boiled down to it making "jokes only people like me can appreciate! I mean, if you're making a joke about Schrodinger's Cat-most people don't get why that's funny! It's not immature humor like on always sunrise in Philadelphia"

• Options
    What a frakkin noob

• Options
    the big bang theory consistently portrays what it is like to have aspergers better than any other show on television

• Options
    Fugitive wrote:

At the higher levels of it, the Create Mode of LittleBigPlanet is basically an introduction to programming logic and has made me interested in a subject that I thought I'd never care about

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote:

You just wait and see

Mummies are just zombies with a pedigree.

Wait I came in here to post something on topic. What was it again? Oh yeah.
    Online gamers have achieved a feat beyond the realm of Second Life or Dungeons and Dragons: they have deciphered the structure of an enzyme of an AIDS-like virus that had thwarted scientists for a decade.

Developed in 2008 by the University of Washington, [Foldit] is a fun-for-purpose video game in which gamers, divided into competing groups, compete to unfold chains of amino acids - the building blocks of proteins - using a set of online tools.

To the astonishment of the scientists, the gamers produced an accurate model of the enzyme in just three weeks.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I was just coming here to post that! That's a better example of utilising the medium

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I know the one thing keeping me from solving the world's problems is that lack of trackable Acheivements with which to grow my ePeen IRL.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    I saw her keynote with @Lewie P's Stepdad and I think I can safely speak for both of us by saying she's a loon and a terrible person.

yeh, I was at this keynote and she's a crazy person who has a weird sense of what's fun.

I don't really want her saving the world.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    @that dave fella please elaborate on "weird sense of what's fun"

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think I've ever wanted to leave anything as badly as I wanted to leave her keynote. And I've been to prison.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I can fly. I'm a pilot.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote:
    Olivaw wrote:

You just wait and see

Mummies are just zombies with a pedigree.

Wait I came in here to post something on topic. What was it again? Oh yeah.
    Online gamers have achieved a feat beyond the realm of Second Life or Dungeons and Dragons: they have deciphered the structure of an enzyme of an AIDS-like virus that had thwarted scientists for a decade.

Developed in 2008 by the University of Washington, [Foldit] is a fun-for-purpose video game in which gamers, divided into competing groups, compete to unfold chains of amino acids - the building blocks of proteins - using a set of online tools.

To the astonishment of the scientists, the gamers produced an accurate model of the enzyme in just three weeks.

I am

impressed

this lady's article failed to do so, but this impresses me

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    What about the CoH panel, tube

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:
    @that dave fella please elaborate on "weird sense of what's fun"

She was telling us about these games that she'd come up with.

One of them was called graveyard poker or something? Basically you had to go find graves with your partner and the name/year on the gravestone corresponded to a card in a deck.

You and your partner had to be touching both graves to get the combination of cards, so you had to lay down on top of peoples graves.

She proceeded to show pictures of her and like 4 friends playing and then showed pictures of like 100 people in a graveyard laying on top of gravestones playing games.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
This discussion has been closed.