As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Food for the Food God

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    The real secret to roasting a chicken is trussing. That more than anything else will guarantee even cooking.

@Didgeridoo: Yes, use whole milk. Everyone should use whole milk for everything. I hate skim and 2%. It's not milk. It's leavings of better milk. Fuck that bullshit.

Biscuits:
    This recipe, more than any other, even the ribs, is one that you will not master the first time, or the 50th time. This takes a lifetime to master. I still screw up the odd batch and I've been cooking these for 15 years.

* 2 cups AP Flour, plus more for workspace dusting
    * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 tablespoon baking powder (no aluminum)
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 6 tablespoons fat, very cold, cubed
    * 3/4 cup whole buttermilk (maybe more, maybe less)

Pre-heat to 425. An Oven Thermometer is so worth the 8 bucks. Trust me.

In a large work bowl sift the dry ingredients and once integrated, start quickly working the cold fat into the flour mixture with your fingertips. You can use a fork, a pastry cutter, a spoon, I use my hands. Just do it quickly and try to avoid heating it up too much. I tend to use 50% Butter and 50% Lard, my Grandmother used 100% Vegetable Shortening. Your own ratio is something you'll develop over time.

Once you have all the cubes worked in, it should resemble bread crumbs. If you can grab a small amount and squeeze, it should form up solid. Turn this out on your clean work surface and make a well in the very center. Start pouring in the cold Buttermilk a little at a time and working it to form a very sticky dough. The texture and form you're looking for is solid, but not hard and dry. This will be messy and sticky. There just isn't a solid way to explain what this looks like. As I said, you'll know what this stage looks like after you do it. The best I can advise, is that when you handle it, it should move with your hand, not away from it.

Once you have made a big mess and have a sticky dough, sprinkle it and your work surface with some more flour and start folding it over and over. Sprinkle with more flour when you need to, but be stingy, you don't want to get too much and you can always add, but you can't subtract.

Now I usually fold it 4 times and then force it down into a rectangle shape and do my cutting. The dough should be about an inch thick or so. You can go buy a biscuit cutter, they aren't expensive, or you can use a clean tin can with both ends cut off. Up to you. The important part is the technique.

Straight down. Twist. Lift.

I'm going to say this again.

Straight down. Twist. Lift.

If this is too complicated, have someone else do this part for you. If you can't do this without wasting half the dough, have someone else do this for you.

You're aiming to keep the waste dough to a minimum, once you've done your cutting, collect the biscuits and lay them out on a greased cooking sheet with the sides touching. This will result in taller, softer biscuits. If for some idiotic reason, you prefer shorter more hearty biscuits, leave an inch between them. You're wrong, but you can be wrong, they're your biscuits.

Regardless of how careful you are in planning, you're going to have waste dough, you can fold this back together and form this into another biscuit or two, these will not be as good, give them to your least favorite person, or the dog.

Cook for about 15 minutes and check on them. Tops should be golden brown. This should result in about a dozen or so biscuits.

easysig2.jpg
    ohh.

Indent. Christ, how did I miss that step. fuck.

You need to indent the tops of the biscuits before they go in. use your knuckle. Just a dip in each one.

easysig2.jpg
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    When are you just going to publish your own cookbook Stale?

"T&A and why I love cooking."

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Stale, when do I take the roll of biscuit dough I bought from the store and smack it on the counter top?

Ziplock and I were working on it, Chemo has sidelined me because I'm lazy and bitchy. It will be done before March.

easysig2.jpg
    I will purchase this book. It had better be like playboy but with recipes instead of humorous articles.

Hunter wrote:
    Stale, when do I take the roll of biscuit dough I bought from the store and smack it on the counter top?

After you give away your dignity and self-worth

easysig2.jpg
    Stale wrote:
    Hunter wrote:

So sometime around 2001?

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    Hunter wrote:

But he's been married for years.

edit: and I should have read ahead to see that Hunter already made that joke

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I tried out that mac and cheese recipe.

It was okay I guess.
    Actually it was terribl
    y awesome

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    ohh.

You need to indent the tops of the biscuits before they go in. use your knuckle. Just a dip in each one.

what does this do? make them rise evenly?

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Its so they hold the gravy better.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    thank you stale! storing that away for reference

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:

Ziplock and I were working on it, Chemo has sidelined me because I'm lazy and bitchy. It will be done before March.

Oh hey, that's a pretty good deadline.

I should really get back to that after I get some job applications/work done today.

(and Didge? I use skim. Don't tell Stale.)

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I made siu mai yesterday.

It was definitely a bit plain.

Might see how it is making a red curry tomorrow.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Got the sauce made for the lasagna (no bechamel in it this time). The beets are done roasting and waiting to be tossed with the goat cheese. Now I just need to make the pie and we'll be all set.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    There are so many things you can do with shiitakes. You've honestly never cooked with them before?

...yes.

so what are the so many things?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Risotto.

Siu Mai.

I did a braised beef with daikon with then in there.

They are generally a good addition to noodle soups in general.

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    today for breakfast I had:

1 Bag of Sea Salt & Vinegar Chips
    1 Sugar Cookie
    1 Can of Diet Coke

you see, because I'm on a diet.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    Just asking for an old person joke you are.

what!

this is how young people eat!

rotate.jpg
    edited September 2011
    if i were old i'd be eating a healthy balanced breakfast with like oranges and eggs or somesuch

NOT THIS GUY

FUCKIN

YOUNG AND SPRAY

spraie

sprie

spraiii

fuck

how do you spell that?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    SPRY

there

fuck you

rotate.jpg
    KalTorak wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    There are so many things you can do with shiitakes. You've honestly never cooked with them before?

...yes.

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=shiitake&x=0&y=0

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    skettios wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    ohh.

what does this do? make them rise evenly?

more even rise yeah

easysig2.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

...yes.

Are you suggesting I "search" for things on the internets? My god, I had know idea such a thing was possible. It's almost as if I wanted personal recommendations that search engines are less proficient at providing. Or, failing that, uninformative snark about how uncultured I am.

KalTorak wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

...yes.

Are you suggesting I "search" for things on the internets? My god, I had know idea such a thing was possible. It's almost as if I wanted personal recommendations that search engines are less proficient at providing. Or, failing that, uninformative snark about how uncultured I am.

You're right.

Hamburger Helper is in isle 5.

easysig2.jpg
    Christ, sorry I'm answering your question. I said they're very versatile and can be used many ways, you asked for examples of these many things, I gave examples. Next time I'll just not bother.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Shitakes can be used in pretty much any dish. I like doing just a simple cream sauce with scallions, garlic, shitakes, white wine and cream and tossing with some angel hair pasta.

But what do you feel like eating?

I could also give you a raw shitake mushroom and carrot/squash puree recipe. But a lot of people don't care for raw food.

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    oh private stock how I love you

and oh bacon and egg hangover breakfasts, once again I am praising you

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    If you end up sautéing the shiitakes, I'd suggest cutting the stems off. And if you're getting a lot, try sun-drying some of them for soup bases or shaving or whatever.

• nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    Anybody with good Beer Sausage recipes? I tryed it in germany once but cant really seem to get them right.

bannerpa.jpg
  • nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    edit: triple post

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Blake T wrote:
    Chickens are stupidly easy Didge.

Buy a chicken.

Pat it down dry with paper towel. Season the outside. Basically some
    Salt and pepper.

If possible then pop in the fridge for another hour to really let the skin dry.

I usually at this stage par boil some potatoes of something else with a peeled bulb of garlic and a lemon. Drain everything, separate out half the garlic and the lemon and stab the lemon a few times and stick that, and the garlic up the chicken's but along with some rosemary.

Then rub the outside down with some olive oil.

Truss the chicken now, (YouTube this)

Stick the chicken in a 160degree oven for an hour and a half.

Forty five minutes in throw in the potatoes.

I missed this yesterday, but this is very helpful! Thank you @Blake T

oh and just to check, is that 160 F or C? I'm guessing C, but thought I'd make sure

Didgeridoo on
    It's centigrade, which comes out to 320 F. I'd actually recommend roasting the chicken at 450 F for an hour or so. Also aim for a smaller chicken, closer to 4 lbs if you can and if you got the scratch for it, free range/organic will usually result in a much better tasting chicken. But they can be significantly more expensive so don't feel like you have to go organic.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ive never cooked things with mushrooms except occasionally because mushrooms always seem expensive to me

poo
    Druhim wrote:
    It's centigrade, which comes out to 320 F. I'd actually recommend roasting the chicken at 450 F for an hour or so. Also aim for a smaller chicken, closer to 4 lbs if you can and if you got the scratch for it, free range/organic will usually result in a much better tasting chicken. But they can be significantly more expensive so don't feel like you have to go organic.

Fucking hippy

Hey, we used the standard Draper Valley chickens for months but when we switched to Ranger chickens which are about .50 more/lb, we couldn't deny they tasted better.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Anyone got recommendations on a, uh, peanut sauce? I don't know what they're called, really. I guess it's a Thai thing. Something good on cold soba or udon. Something besides semen, I mean.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    ive never cooked things with mushrooms except occasionally because mushrooms always seem expensive to me

Really? I mean, there are expensive types of mushrooms (chanterelles, maitake, etc) but even some cheapo white button mushrooms taste amazing when sauteed up with butter and garlic.

This discussion has been closed.