As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    They really should have just thrown in a bunch of cleaned-up public domain German battle songs and Russian hymns. The music that's in the game really is unremarkable.

As far as getting the game goes, if you're fine with bugs and a general lack of polish, it is fun. It's a ltitle spartan at times, but if you're in for an FPS that's trying to depict combat in a somewhat realistic fashion, you'd probably like it. The price is pretty good, as well.

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I would have gotten so much exp as commander

why the fuck are people so stupid

fuck this gay earth

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    Hurrr durrrr I am the average video game player, oh my commander is artillery striking a position? Better urn into it and then not forgive him thus getting him banned when he has over 60 kills adn is single handidly winning us this fight!

JESUS CHRIST WHAT A STUPID FUCKING MECHANIC

Agreed, artillery should be removed from the game.

ken2.png
    I'ma remove your dumb head from your dumb body!!

sirtoons.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    marty wrote:
    Is this worth buying at the moment? I've just been watching a few gameplay videos, list of my concerns:
    1. Awful music. I've heard it was done by the mass effect guy, except he was being a dick when he did it for this game and used MIDI samples only.
    2. Player animations look a bit funny, especially hipfire animations. Resemble TFC / Garry's mod sometimes.
    3. Ungodly amounts of HDR bloom on some maps.
    4. Did I mention the awful music?

How much of an improvement can one realistically expect from this game? How much did Killing floor or the other red orchestra change from day 1 to current?

The music in the game is very minimal, I barely even notice it. If it bugs you I guess you can turn it off.

The game has some pretty amazing animations, every once in a while I see something funky, but for the most part the animation system is pretty kick ass.

The HDR can get annoying, yes.

Red Orchestra: Ostfront had a rocky launch as did Killing Floor. Not only did TWI polish those games up to a keen shine, they also released a ton of free DLC for both games, and they've promised the same DLC treatment for RO HoS. It's a pretty sure bet that TWI will polish up RO HoS to the same standard.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I actually like the music, and I completely agree sirtoons.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It should be noted that the bloom can be turned off. I've yet to see a game that implements that effect sensibly. It and motion blur are two effects I always turn off in games.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    motion blur usually hurts your framerate with no benefit anyways. I'd rather see whats at the corner of my screen when turning thank you

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Love the *ding* of a good headshot.

Also: tanking feels just a *bit* harder than in ROOST. Mainly the aiming. I was a machine in the first one, hitting moving targets; here it's really hard to do. (I guess that's the way it should be...)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Check out what my beastly i5 2400, HD 6850 system can put out:
    2011091700002f.jpg
    2011091700003.jpg

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited September 2011
    Check out what my beastly i5 2400, HD 6850 system can put out:

2011091700002f.jpg
    2011091700002f.jpg
    2011091700003.jpg
    2011091700003.jpg

Is this.... facetiousism

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    It may be hard to tell from the images, but in game, it is so, so much easier to detect enemies with those settings. Visibility is amazing.

I can actually run the game just fine on High/Ultra, but I decided to do some tweaking after reading some posts on the TWI boards.

• DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    Yuck. One thing that has helped me a lot as a pathetic noob is changing the Tactical view to a toggle, so I don't have to hold down T to see where my orders and objectives are.

sig2-2.jpg
    edited September 2011
    Basically all I did was disable just about all the lighting features in the ini file, bump up the Gamma and adjust the brightness settings. I can now see clearly through windows, doorways, etc, with no dark lighting or shadows getting in the way.

I dropped some of the other settings to keep it at an absolute constant 60fps.

AuburnTiger on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    Mangling poor fools at 400m with the AT gun is delightful.

edited September 2011
    Basically all I did was disable just about all the lighting features in the ini file, bump up the Gamma and adjust the brightness settings. I can now see clearly through windows, doorways, etc, with no dark lighting or shadows getting in the way.

I dropped some of the other settings to keep it at an absolute constant 60fps.

Looks like poop from a butt. I prefer to get all my kills the fair way, completely by accident.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Commissar's House is so tough for the allies. I managed to kick ass in a tank, getting both tank kills and a ton of infantry kills. My team was competent and moved up while I covered them. First round, we took A, B, and D but then got locked down (not near enough time for what they are asking the allies to do). Next round we took the same and nearly took C a few times. It felt like a victory to me.... too bad there are 3 more harder to take points, plus another wide open point like D.

Side note: The only time I've seen the allies get further is when it was 5 v 2. Even then we stalled on the last point.

Ratsult2 on
    That sort of thing has always struck me as borderline cheating. It also explains how a guy can snipe me through a window over a hundred yards away while I'm "concealed" in shadow.

It's one thing to do that sort of fullbright and low detail tweak in a game like Quake, but RO2 is supposedly somewhat about realism. Giving yourself super cyborg vision in a WW II game kind of flies in the face of that.

Nothing personal or anything, do whatever makes you happy. If they don't care over at TWI then whatever. It just kinda makes me wonder why they put so much work into lighting and so on in the first place.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Yeah, that seems kind of questionable.

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    the tank balance is pretty fucking terrible, huh

"hmm lets reflect the real situation somewhat by having the german tank be better than the t34 in every way except production ease, but then keep numbers balanced. also the only way you can get a wide view from the t34 is by unbuttoning the gunner ok have fun!!"

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    How would they enforce specific graphics settings without drastically limiting system compatibility, and sales, in the process?

This isn't exactly a new problem. I don't even have a DX11 card, so I've never even seen shadows that would provide any sort of concealment.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    I understand where you're coming from, Drake. But my intention is not to cheat. It started out as way to tweak the settings for performance, but then I came across someone else that pointed out other benefits as well.

The only advantage I can see that might be deemed unfair is increased visibility. But I'm only working with what Tripwire gave me; I haven't added anything, I'm not exploiting any glitches or bugs, not using any external programs. The tools to do what I've done are available to all as well. It's an advantage, sure, but not a gamebreaking one, and it's an advantage to everyone equally, should they be interested in using it.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    yeah I'm done until they iron out all the frustrating crap in the game that SURPRISE is still in from beta

If anyone's having problems with texture pop-in, I may have found a solution.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    But it's a secret.

edited September 2011
    I understand where you're coming from, Drake. But my intention is not to cheat. It started out as way to tweak the settings for performance, but then I came across someone else that pointed out other benefits as well.

The only advantage I can see that might be deemed unfair is increased visibility. But I'm only working with what Tripwire gave me; I haven't added anything, I'm not exploiting any glitches or bugs, not using any external programs. The tools to do what I've done are available to all as well. It's an advantage, sure, but not a gamebreaking one, and it's an advantage to everyone equally, should they be interested in using it.

Sure, that's why I said borderline and trust me, I'm not all fired up about it.

edit: Also, stats are just hilariously broken. I just got a Firefight achievement and I avoid that gametype like the plague. I have all kinds of achievements I haven't earned. My rank and weapon stats are all jacked up. It's crazy. And I also don't remember battles being so one sided in the beta, I love this game but it needs some work. And a stat reset.

Drake on
    But it's a secret.

Not a secret, just wanted to test it out first. :D

You'll need to edit your ROEngine.ini file. ROEngine.ini is located in Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config.

Search for Texture Streaming, and adjust the value of the Poolsize. Mine was set at 140, but I changed it to half of my GPU's VRAM, so 512.

I noticed very little change to my FPS, but maybe that's because I'm playing with low settings as demonstrated above. YMMV. I'm guessing any increase will help out. In any event, texture pop in is virtually gone. Much smoother.

ritpo.jpg

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    But it's a secret.

Not a secret, just wanted to test it out first. :D

You'll need to edit your ROEngine.ini file. ROEngine.ini is located in Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config.

Search for Texture Streaming, and adjust the value of the Poolsize. Mine was set at 140, but I changed it to half of my GPU's VRAM, so 512.

I noticed very little change to my FPS, but maybe that's because I'm playing with low settings as demonstrated above. YMMV. I'm guessing any increase will help out. In any event, texture pop in is virtually gone. Much smoother.

This is super tempting because texture pop annoys the hell out of me, thanks!

emp123 on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Part of my frowns at that lighting change. It does smell an awful lot like cheating to me.

It'd be like going into an .ini for Starcraft 2 and editing the fog of war to be lighter so you could see more of the map. The devs intended on their being dark spots in RO2. It's part of the strategy and you're altering files to give yourself an advantage. Not that this will stop anyone. People will jump to give themselves an advantage and never look back, fair or otherwise. Maybe next people will change the enemy skins to be bright neon so you can see them better too.

On the other hand, nothing can be done about it really and i'm sure most people wont do that. Just made me grumble some.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    I'm going to change the germans to bright blue and the russians to bright red so I can stop shooting my damn guys all the time.

Last night I was playing on one of those super realism servers with no kill messages. I was shooting dudes left and right. I thought I was doing awesome, until the round ended and it showed I had 4 TKs.

sig2-2.jpg
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Dangerous wrote:
    Last night I was playing on one of those super realism servers with no kill messages. I was shooting dudes left and right. I thought I was doing awesome, until the round ended and it showed I had 4 TKs.

I like realism servers but I still want my kill messages.

PNA1v.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    L|ama wrote:
    the tank balance is pretty fucking terrible, huh

"hmm lets reflect the real situation somewhat by having the german tank be better than the t34 in every way except production ease, but then keep numbers balanced. also the only way you can get a wide view from the t34 is by unbuttoning the gunner ok have fun!!"

Gotta say, I think they're pretty equitable. In part because the German tank, like all German tanks, is generally designed with the same philosophy as a shoe box, and bounces a lot less shots than the sloped T-34.

Maybe that's changed recently though. Haven't played a tank map in a while.

The issue of changing lighting for better enemy spotting is pretty interesting, I have to say. In part because it makes the game look like RE5 on PC (i.e. kind of ugly), but because it's reminiscient of the issue of adding marked skins (engine, ammo compartment, etc.) in World of Tanks.
    Suriko wrote:
    They really should have just thrown in a bunch of cleaned-up public domain German battle songs and Russian hymns. The music that's in the game really is unremarkable.

They didn't even bother to use the actual emblems of the USSR and German Empire--with the German flag modified for local laws, of course--despite those being public domain, and instead made their own goofy, COD-looking emblems. I guess it's a deliberate design choice both ways.

Synthesis on
    Speaking of tanks, I bagged a couple more Pz4 tanks last night with muh trusty AT rifle. Pulling that off is definitely one of the coolest feelings in the game, for me.

It's crazy though, you can kill a couple of fucking TANKS with a .57 caliber rifle, but you'll only score one point, even though the damn thing is blocking your team like crazy. Seems like killing tanks should be an objective for the AT role. Just a couple of extra points just to show that you are actually doing something for the team, like taking down their armor. Crazy, right? But maybe it could work.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I don't disagree in the least--though it'd apply to all all AT personnel (so, when they bring in Panzerfausts and, potentially, lend-lease bazookas and Panzerschrek).

But would you apply it to other classes who blew up tanks? With AT weapons or satchels?

I guess you could just give credit for blowing up the tank by itself, and then any crew inside.

Do squad leaders who call in artillery strikes get points when those strikes kill people? Im thinking they dont (its quite possible a commander has never heeded my artillery requests) and I feel like they should.

I think getting team points for destroying the tank and then points for killing the people inside it is a good idea though. Thats not to say throwing anti-tank grenades isnt incredibly satisfying, but more points is always nice.

No, you don't get any points for marking arty. It should probably be kill assists, but it's not.

sirtoons.png
    Thats stupid and they should change that, especially since they took away the squad leader's murder machine.

Man, the game has gotten really crashy for me again. Hopefully they can get it back into a state resembling what I played in the beta soon. :P

• corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    A site is giving away some copies of the game.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-giveaway-red-orchestra-2

It ends Tuesday, and you can enter once per day.